Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

who helped/hurt themselves the most at the combine?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
bananabucket wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Why do you all think Cook stock went down?

Because he tested like a late rounder

I still think he's the best back in this draft. Some team is gonna hit a homerun getting him.

Do you spend a high first round pick on a running back who tested that poorly? I know a lot of people will say 'yes, his tape is that good' - but man it would still take a brave GM to do that now given the debate about taking backs high anyway. His workout was awful, truly shocking for a player we all thought must have some freak athleticism.
m haynes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefs82 wrote:
Deshaun Watson and Haason Reddick both helped their stocks.

Rueben Foster hurt his stock as much as he possibly could.
Not really. He just cemented his 1st round pick to the Bengals. Laughing
m haynes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
I don't see how Christian McCaffrey helped himself. We all knew who he was coming in, he just confirmed it.

Kind of, although I think he helped himself by not hurting himself. He had more to lose than gain.
I think he helped himself. He looked tremendous catching the ball. He cuts with little movement. Damn impressive. IMO he passed Cook as the second RB drafted.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m haynes wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:
I don't see how Christian McCaffrey helped himself. We all knew who he was coming in, he just confirmed it.

Kind of, although I think he helped himself by not hurting himself. He had more to lose than gain.
I think he helped himself. He looked tremendous catching the ball. He cuts with little movement. Damn impressive. IMO he passed Cook as the second RB drafted.

Yeah he looked awesome. I still don't think the number of teams willing to spend a first on him will have gone up, because many will be worried about the fit in their schemes. Those who do see him as a fit will be salivating, because you can play him both as a slot receiver and part time running back. He might even be better off spending more time in the former.
m haynes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
m haynes wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Rich7sena wrote:

Yeah he looked awesome. I still don't think the number of teams willing to spend a first on him will have gone up, because many will be worried about the fit in their schemes. Those who do see him as a fit will be salivating, because you can play him both as a slot receiver and part time running back. He might even be better off spending more time in the former.

Exactly, He has to go to the right team. Image what he could do in a offense like the Pats and the Falcons.
lark25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think RB is a position where players with poor measurables tend to do well in the league. He may be ok, but at this stage Cook wouldn't be in my top 3 or so RBs.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lark25 wrote:
I don't think RB is a position where players with poor measurables tend to do well in the league. He may be ok, but at this stage Cook wouldn't be in my top 3 or so RBs.

Surprisingly, it is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lark25 wrote:

Maybe not long term, but there have been plenty of middling athletes find success in the NFL.

Cook's numbers still seem so strange to me. He's so fleet of foot that I'd figure he'd be at least under 7.10s in the 3-cone. The 40 is just .05 slower than I thought, but it doesn't shock me as much as his agility numbers.
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of top running backs had middling combine and workout numbers, but that potentially makes Cook's numbers even worse considering he's in the 9th percentile among active NFL backs. Important note from Zach Whitman, no running back has been taken in the first round with a below 25th percentile level of athleticism since 1999.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooks numbers are worst than Mixon across the board. I consider Mixon the best RB talent wise in the draft. Cooks numbers are in line with Perine who is a 3rd to 4th rounder.

Does that make Cook a 3rd to 4th rounder? Not really but he should fall out of the 1st round.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
indigo_rex wrote:
I remember a lot of people saying the same things about Frank Clark and Danielle Hunter - that their athleticism wasn't as good as they tested. Turns out, the tests were right, and the eyes were wrong. Rinse and repeat.

So true. So many things can trick your eyes when watching prospects. It can be things as simple as body type, uniform colors, etc. That's why combine testing is so important.
For sure. Frank Clark is built super weird Laughing

#1 ET Supporter
LuckIsGOAT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
bananabucket wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

I still think he's the best back in this draft. Some team is gonna hit a homerun getting him.

Do you spend a high first round pick on a running back who tested that poorly? I know a lot of people will say 'yes, his tape is that good' - but man it would still take a brave GM to do that now given the debate about taking backs high anyway. His workout was awful, truly shocking for a player we all thought must have some freak athleticism.

Lol so Overdramatic. What did he test so badly in? He weighed in at 210 and ran a 4.47
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
TENINCH wrote:
bananabucket wrote:
LuckIsGOAT wrote:

Lol so Overdramatic. What did he test so badly in? He weighed in at 210 and ran a 4.47

I mean....if we're gonna get into exacts, he ran a 4.49 and posted below average times at agility drills.

A 7.27 3 cone drill and 4.53 short shuttle is butt ugly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do teams really care about the 3 cone and shuttle? And more importantly did Cook really care about them?
Trailblazers
Canucks
Luck & RG3 fan
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckIsGOAT wrote:
Do teams really care about the 3 cone and shuttle? And more importantly did Cook really care about them?

Yes. That's called an agility drill.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: