Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carpenter, Robey-Coleman and Sanborn released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Carpenter, Robey-Coleman and Sanborn released Reply with quote

Quote:
The difficult part of the offseason has arrived. It’s the time of year when NFL clubs like the Bills have to trim players from their roster to put themselves in a good fiscal position to upgrade their roster in the free agent market. On Monday Buffalo cut five players from their roster with that aim in mind. Chief among the player releases were kicker Dan Carpenter, CB Nickell Robey-Coleman and long snapper Garrison Sanborn.

Tight end Gerald Christian and S Phillip Thomas were also released from the roster.

Carpenter has been Buffalo’s place kicker for each of the last four seasons. His best year came in 2013 when he connected on a career high 92 percent of his field goal attempts. But the kicker’s numbers have been in decline in each of the past three seasons.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-release-Carpenter-Robey-Coleman-in-handful-of-cuts/6661a226-0bd8-45c6-8885-44bf791bc280

Carpenter isn't a surprise but Robey and Sanborn certainly are to me. Robey had a terrible year last season but he should have been cheap and showed real potential the year before last.

The night is dark and full of terrors.
Sacrifice … is never easy, Davos. Or it is no true sacrifice.
NickChowaniec

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day has finally come!!! Bye bye Dan!

Great guy, great in the community, but just wasn't cutting it here anymore.

With how deep the CB class is, I think we'll have no issues replacing Robey. That said, I'm a little surprised we let him go.

cdavls17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God Carpenter is gone. He was great the 1st year and half and then has been a huge disappointment especially at extra points.

I dont get the Sanborn cut as he is a LS and has been with them for years

The Robey Coleman move is kind of baffling to me since they already lost Gillmore and only have Seymour and Darby at the corner position.

Both CB and WR are huge issues starter and depth. So they better have a good response as to cutting coleman even with an off year.

Thanks Max
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdavls17 wrote:
Thank God Carpenter is gone. He was great the 1st year and half and then has been a huge disappointment especially at extra points.

I dont get the Sanborn cut as he is a LS and has been with them for years

The Robey Coleman move is kind of baffling to me since they already lost Gillmore and only have Seymour and Darby at the corner position.

Both CB and WR are huge issues starter and depth. So they better have a good response as to cutting coleman even with an off year.
Definitely the biggest one that caught my eye. As you said we're already light there and it just creates more holes to fix and really was cheap enough to keep him around until at least after the draft. CB seems like a deep position in the draft but we don't have a ton of picks to replace all the guys we are losing.

It's going to be real interesting to see who we get at kicker, it can't be anyone too much worse than Dan though.

Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about Marcus Roberston who apparently showed well last year.

I've already seen us linked to Captain Munnerlyn and this move kind of cements that IMO. Great nickel option.

Not sure why the move from Sanborn unless they honestly think Reid is just as good and cheaper?

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotrac now has us with just over $25 mil in cap space

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
LeeEvans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trentwannabe wrote:
Don't forget about Marcus Roberston who apparently showed well last year.

I've already seen us linked to Captain Munnerlyn and this move kind of cements that IMO. Great nickel option.

Not sure why the move from Sanborn unless they honestly think Reid is just as good and cheaper?
Munnerlyn sounds like he is expecting some pretty decent cash and I'd be a little surprised to see us pay a big sum for a nickel corner.

From what I read it sound like that is what they thought with the Sanborn move. Reid was brought back to the practice squad midway through the season and apparently Sanborn was one of the more expensive long snappers in the league.

leeevans83d

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robey and Sanborn I can understand after thinking about it. Robey wasn't really showing much the past 2 seasons. I know CB is a position of need but he was making decent money and could save money on the cap. Sanborn was rock solid his whole career here. Never had to worry about our snaps. But again, he's a guy who carried a cap number and we had that guy last year on the practice squad that was previously an UDFA. Must have liked what we saw from him.

Bills have a plan here. Must be planning on building through the draft, but the problem is, we only have 6 picks right now. A hunch tells me they are planning on having a whole lot of shiny new picks once they trade away a certain player...

Not that I want to trade him, because I actually have a desire to win this year, but that's just the way it looks from my perspective.
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if we could get a first for Tyrod or God forbid even more, I'd lose it.

I honestly wish we could somehow trade Tyrod and a pick for Cousins but hey.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain the Robey-Coleman move?

Not a big cap number, cheap, position of need for the Bills.

Dolphins need a slot CB and PFF had him graded well there.
Trentwannabe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:

34 missed tackles in the last 3 years. McDermott historically likes his nickel corners to be bigger.

Thank you NickChowaniec!

Trust the Process.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna miss Robey-Coleman. At the beginning of year when Gilmore and Darby was struggling he was our most consistant player in coverage. With that being said with this CB class i dont mind it because McDermott likes long physical corners which is not Nickell at all.
marshawn lynch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:

Too small. Shows great effort but players can run him over and when there is a slot reciever like Chris Hogan and Enuwa then its just a mismatch that gets exploited.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: