Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Only 2 spots to address? Deciphering Jerry.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Only 2 spots to address? Deciphering Jerry. Reply with quote

Jerry was being asked about free agency and how 6 starters and several key role players were about to hit the market. Everyone, including myself is a little nervous about being able to retain or replace these key players with limited cap and late round picks.

As I'm sure you have already heard Jerry says they are only really worried about two spots, and the rest of the FAs departing can and will be replaced by someone already on the roster. This got me thinking. Which two spots is he referring to?

Quote:
I am not going to say which ones because its competitive, Jones said. But there are two spots we get wounded if we dont have at least that position back with that caliber of player. There are two spots.

We need to replace those positions, that talent level on the roster. Beyond that then we are not decimated if we dont have that individual player, he said. We will have somebody playing the position. But out of that whole make up and list, there are two we have to really address. We cant come up empty.

We can make due most of it what is in question in free agency for us with our existing players, he said. Weve got to replace those two parts of our team.

Jerry is also pretty confident that he will have the cap room, and hinted that whatever he does with Romo will help bring in replacements, or re-sign our guys.

Quote:
Its two, its not nine its two, he said. And I think weve got the cap room, and whatever we resolve with Tony I feel confident that we cannot lose on those two.

So that begs the question, what two positions is he talking about? First of all, he is talking about departing FAs and filling the voids that they will leave. So DE isn't on the list. We aren't losing a bunch of DEs, the ones we have just suck real bad. That's why everyone wants to draft one(or two).

Here are the starters we are losing:

Ronald Leary
TWill
Smite McClain
Barry Church
Brandon Carr
Mo Claiborne

All this talk from Jerry makes me think Smite McClain is not coming back. After all, if anyone can be replaced by current depth it's him. We have Collins, signed Thornton last year, we still have Crawford, and Irving that can move inside. As much as I love McClain he seems to have the most depth behind him.

Then you have the obvious one. Ronald Leary, the team has publically stated that retaining him would be "tough," and when asking about Doug Free's future and moving La'el Collins to RT, the team stated that they expect Collins to start at LG. So Leary is done as a Cowboy.

That leaves:

TWill
Barry Church
Brandon Carr
Mo Claiborne

I think one of the obvious positions he is mentioning is CB as one that needs to be addressed. After all, it is the only position losing two starters. And in a league that has us running 3 CBs on the field near 70% of the time, our current roster only boasts of Orlando Scandrick who is coming off a down year(even getting benched for Anthony Brown for a few games) and he just turned 30, and then the aforementioned Anthony Brown who is still developing. Even if those two guys turn in career years in 2017, we still only have two of them. It's easy to see CB is one of the two spots Jerry is concerned about.

That leaves:

Barry Church
TWill

On the surface it looks like both of those positions are areas of concern. After all, Both Church and TWill have a key depth player behind them that is also hitting the market(Wilcox, and Butler). So if CB is one of the two spots to be addressed which is the other?

Maybe they like Kavon Frazier who was drafted last year and was one of the youngest players in the league. Maybe they think he can replace Church as the Hybrid nickle backer safety guy. Or maybe they think with Dez, Witten, and Beasley under contract that the other outside WR isn't going to be that great of a loss.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think secondary is going to be our biggest concern from a FO stand point. I know everyone is clamoring over a DE, and I get it, but we did draft 2 DL last year. One has proven to be a great pick, the other was IR'd the whole year.

I know we need more pressure, but we also need bodies at DB. Were thin.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I think secondary is going to be our biggest concern from a FO stand point. I know everyone is clamoring over a DE, and I get it, but we did draft 2 DL last year. One has proven to be a great pick, the other was IR'd the whole year.

Agreed. Wouldn't be surprised if DE wasn't draft in top 3 rds

Kiltman on the sig & avy
romo2bryant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we absolutely fall in love with a DE at 28, don't think it'll happen. I'm preparing for Fabian/Adoree right now.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romo2bryant wrote:
Unless we absolutely fall in love with a DE at 28, don't think it'll happen. I'm preparing for Fabian/Adoree right now.

Ive been meaning to make a thread for a while talking our draft strategy. I know a couple things:

1. We will draft our first rounder with the idea that we gat 5 year deal until we have to pay them.

2. That we like to draft the best player at his position (Fredrick, Martin, Jones, etc).

That leads me to believe we could look at a RT or DB. I think the top of the DL will be gone by our pick and there wont be a lot separating the 7th best DL and the 15th best DL. But there maybe a huge drop off from the #2 S and the #10 S. All hypothetical of course, but you get the point.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
Calvert28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not a shot in hell we get a chance to draft Lattimore or Humphrey. But we will be in a position for some quality talent where we're at. Still hoping we take a serious look at Walker from FSU but if we go DB there are several to choose from.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
resilient

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

If by great you mean Collins, then I would say as good as he is/was, he is still not a DE. We need a damn good DE. It seems like every year, some try to rationalize why Dallas should go for more CBs (Yes I know we are thin) but every year it's the same old "can't get enough pass pressure" come regular-post season.

If this so-called philosophy doesn't change, we will still be complaining next season, again. Crushing our hopes yet again.

2014 season, we had an offense easily good enough to "win it all"
2016 season, we again had an offense good enough to "win it all"

BUT

our defense was not good enough. And while it was on all parts of the defense (D-line-LBs-CBs/DBs) the HUGE deficit came from the pass rush department) and I don't even think that is debatable.

Re- back to the 28 pick, I think the "7th" best DE is still more valuable than a CB rated number 4 for example.

If we don't really load up on some good pass rushers early, late and Free agency, if necessary, then once again we will be back to this seemingly endless cycle again next year.
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 2 areas of concern are CB and WR and here is why -

If both Carr and Mo leave it would leave an often injured Scandy and a 2nd year ABrown. Dallas may think about moving BJones back to CB but that would only create another problem at FS.

Losing both BChurch and JJWilcox isnt ideal, but Heath and Frazier are waiting in the wings.

DE is DE...it is what it is until a "WAR DADDY" surfaces or is acquired.

Leary at OG is taken care of with LCollins and possibly JCooper.

That leaves WR. TWill hasnt proven anything in 4 years. Butler, well, is Butler - unreliable and still a project. Lucky is just a gadget player at this point. Is AJones Ready?

TWill is a lock to hit the road to riches.

Dez has had the injury bug hit him since he signed his MEGA contract 2 yr ago

So to acquire a replacement via the Draft or FA is a TOP need. And not just any WR...one that can move into a #1 role, unlike TWill and Butler.

Just a hunch here...but i believe Dallas will re-sign Carr and draft a CB high, like before Day 3 and I think Dallas will sign an older FA WR (cost effective) that can start opposite Dez (hello BMarshall) and take over if Dez is out for any period of time(again, hello BMarshall) and also draft a young WR within the first 4 rounds.

I honestly dont think Dallas will a DE this year - they may just sign a decent FA and a decent cost and roll with what they have and hope RGregory can turn his life around.

Go ahead shoot me up.

Peace
matt79511

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sodakcowboy78 wrote:

If both Carr and Mo leave it would leave an often injured Scandy and a 2nd year ABrown. Dallas may think about moving BJones back to CB but that would only create another problem at FS.

Losing both BChurch and JJWilcox isnt ideal, but Heath and Frazier are waiting in the wings.

That leaves WR. TWill hasnt proven anything in 4 years. Butler, well, is Butler - unreliable and still a project. Lucky is just a gadget player at this point. Is AJones Ready?

So to acquire a replacement via the Draft or FA is a TOP need. And not just any WR...one that can move into a #1 role, unlike TWill and Butler.

Just a hunch here...but i believe Dallas will re-sign Carr and draft a CB high, like before Day 3 and I think Dallas will sign an older FA WR (cost effective) that can start opposite Dez (hello BMarshall) and take over if Dez is out for any period of time(again, hello BMarshall) and also draft a young WR within the first 4 rounds.

I honestly dont think Dallas will a DE this year - they may just sign a decent FA and a decent cost and roll with what they have and hope RGregory can turn his life around.

Go ahead shoot me up.

Peace

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. If we lose T-Will and Butler and Dez goes down again- yikes. Same deal with Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. Of course we probably won't lose all of those guys to UFA, but could definitely lose 3/4. So finding replacements on the cheap in FA and the draft is a pretty high priority.

Yeah, we need a better pass rush, but a bunch of whining isn't going to help an instantaneous Pro Bowl DL fall to our pick at 28, nor change the fact that we just watched two teams with less regular season sacks than the Cowboys play in a Super Bowl.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
DaBoys

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
sodakcowboy78 wrote:

Go ahead shoot me up.

Peace

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. If we lose T-Will and Butler and Dez goes down again- yikes. Same deal with Carr/Claiborne/Scandrick. Of course we probably won't lose all of those guys to UFA, but could definitely lose 3/4. So finding replacements on the cheap in FA and the draft is a pretty high priority.

Yeah, we need a better pass rush, but a bunch of whining isn't going to help an instantaneous Pro Bowl DL fall to our pick at 28, nor change the fact that we just watched two teams with less regular season sacks than the Cowboys play in a Super Bowl.

CB and WR is what I was thinking as well.

Thank you, sodak for answering the question in the original post. I agree that Jerry is talking about replacing/retaining at the CB and WR positions. The others I think he let's walk. Hopefully Kavon Frazier steps up, or Heath, to replace Church/Wilcox.

The only tiff I have with your post is about BMarshall being cost effective. He just signed with the Giants
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR is really deep in this draft. We can wait until the 4th and take Josh Reynolds, Amara Darboh, Carlos Henderson or someone like that.

Our first 3 picks need to be DE, DT and CB in any way.

Some of my favorites who could go around that area include...

1st round: DE Charles Harris, DE Takk McKinley, CB TreDavius White, DE Carl Lawson

2nd round: DT Caleb Brantley, CB Chidobe Awuzie, DT Carlos Watkins, CB Adoree Jackson, CB Jourdan Lewis, DE DeMarcus Walker

3rd round: CB Quincy Wilson, DE Jordan Willis, CB Kevin King, DT Vincent Taylor

Pick one DE, one DT, and one CB from each of those lists and I'm golden.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:
WR is really deep in this draft. We can wait until the 4th and take Josh Reynolds, Amara Darboh, Carlos Henderson or someone like that.

Our first 3 picks need to be DE, DT and CB in any way.

Some of my favorites who could go around that area include...

1st round: DE Charles Harris, DE Takk McKinley, CB TreDavius White, DE Carl Lawson

2nd round: DT Caleb Brantley, CB Chidobe Awuzie, DT Carlos Watkins, CB Adoree Jackson, CB Jourdan Lewis, DE DeMarcus Walker

3rd round: CB Quincy Wilson, DE Jordan Willis, CB Kevin King, DT Vincent Taylor

Pick one DE, one DT, and one CB from each of those lists and I'm golden.

Curious as to why you want DT so bad?

Don't get me wrong. I'm a trenches kinda guy and I'm not against drafting a DT at some point, but I don't view it as a need. Sure we are losing McClain be we have our heaviest DT Collins who played some 1T last year in rotation, we also have Thornton we just signed last year, then there is Crawford, and Irving who can slide inside. I actually view the DT position as one of the deepest on the roster. Not against getting one on day 3 but it's not really on my radar.

Last edited by DaBoys on Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collins is a starter clearly.

Thornton to me is your ideal 3rd DT/short yardage run stuffer.

Crawford I can't rely on anymore. I realize he's a guy who gets too much [inappropriate/removed] on here, and he's a solid player when healthy, but I'm not about to put that much faith into that happening especially if we plan on playing him mostly inside. He's another guy who I view as a rotational backup.

Irving I want to start at LDE and stay there (could see him sliding down on 3rd down)

Tapper can probably play some DT on 3rd downs as well.

To me, we need another starter at DT. That guy isn't going to come via FA, we need to draft one. Honestly, how much longer are Thornton/Crawford going to here anyways? Let's get another guy to pair with Collins for now and the future.

LE Irving / Tapper
DT Collins / Thornton
DT ??? / Crawford
RE Lawrence / Mayowa

That's what we have, and we need another DE to rotate in/push Lawrence, and a starter at the other DT spot opposite Collins.

Last edited by DalCowboyzRule on Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
matt79511

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Agreed. The reason DT was a relative priority for us last year was because we nearly ran out of capable bodies there in '15 and were playing guys off the street. If we lose T-Mac and Jack Crawford and just have one more injury, suddenly we're out of depth once again. Crawford and Thornton are fine, but they're late-20's guys on their second contracts. Each is under contract for 3+ more years but might only see 1 or 2 of them. Seasons are long and careers are short in this sport and we could absolutely use some youthful explosion on the interior. Or just some more cheap labor (wonder what Alan Branch goes for)

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
^Agreed. The reason DT was a relative priority for us last year was because we nearly ran out of capable bodies there in '15 and were playing guys off the street. If we lose T-Mac and Jack Crawford and just have one more injury, suddenly we're out of depth once again. Crawford and Thornton are fine, but they're late-20's guys on their second contracts. Each is under contract for 3+ more years but might only see 1 or 2 of them. Seasons are long and careers are short in this sport and we could absolutely use some youthful explosion on the interior. Or just some more cheap labor (wonder what Alan Branch goes for)

Absolutely.

We don't have any money, but we have to bring in a guy like an Alan Branch is who is a solid dependable veteran or a guy in the top 3 rounds who can play right away.

I'd be livid if all we do is keep the 3 actual defensive tackles we have, and draft some guy in the 7th round. Like you said, we'd be back to 1 injury away from being screwed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: