Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017: a look at our special teams (KR to be...? p.2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VikeManDan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Having Thielen practice PRs is interesting. I wouldn't expect he'd be anything more than just a backup option in case the primary returner is injured, but it's interesting nonetheless.

He has returned punts in the past, I'm not sure why that makes it interesting. Unless you are hinting at his increased importance to the offense.

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Having Thielen practice PRs is interesting. I wouldn't expect he'd be anything more than just a backup option in case the primary returner is injured, but it's interesting nonetheless.

He has returned punts in the past, I'm not sure why that makes it interesting. Unless you are hinting at his increased importance to the offense.

As he is important to the offense, I do think it is interesting. While I know he has done some returning, that's never really been his forte...I mean, the 6 times he returned punts last year is the only times he's ever returned punts (and he's only returned 3 kickoffs).

Thx to Lil Uno!
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vikings worked on a handful of punting situations Thursday, and punter Taylor Symmank had a good showing. Punting from his own 30-yard line, Symmank boomed a roughly 60-yard punt that would have potentially flipped the field position for the Vikings.

Minnesota then worked on shorter punts, with Symmank pinning the opponent deep twice. His first punt from the opponent’s 45-yard line rolled to a stop inside the 5-yard line, and safety Jayron Kearse showed great hustle to down the next punt at the 1-yard line.

Kearse was one of a handful of players who lined up at gunner, a list that included cornerback Marcus Sherels, wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, Alexander and running back Jerick McKinnon.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Vikings-Wrap-Up-Final-OTA-Practice/0afbf5d4-dfaa-477c-9d41-3cf2eebbaf50?sf86596763=1

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikings kickers Kai Forbath and Marshall Koehn continued their kicking battle Tuesday by both knocking down every field goal they attempted. The duo each hit from 37, 41 and 43 yards during team drills, while Forbath made a 45-yard try and Koehn drilled a 46-yard attempt. Forbath had one an extra chance later on during a hurry-up session and nailed a 42-yard try with less than two minutes left on the clock.

Forbath has made 17 of 19 field goals in team drills this spring, while Koehn has been successful on 14 of his 16 attempts.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/3-Observations-Edmond-Robinson-Impressed-at-Day-1-of-Minicamp/ddd271f4-4d1c-4b31-8cc2-884c990166a8

vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall Koehn is not your typical kicker. At the 2016 NFL scouting combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.61 seconds, faster than 10 wide receivers and all but one quarterback. At Solon High School in Iowa, Koehn played receiver and defensive back and was an all-state second baseman who also competed in soccer and wrestling. At Iowa, Koehn kicked a 57-yard field goal in 2015 to beat Pittsburgh on the last play. On kickoffs, he was one of the nation’s leaders in touchbacks.

Koehn: "I like to look at myself as an athlete. But I’m a kicker out here, it’s my job to make kicks.”

General manager Rick Spielman said last week the competition [with Kai Forbath] will extend into training camp.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/13/strong-legged-marshall-koehn-battling-kai-forbath-to-be-vikings-kicker/

vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priefer: “There’s an open competition, absolutely. Both kicker and punter. I’m not into camp legs. The other guys aren’t old enough for us to bring in camp legs. When you get up to Vinatieri’s age [44] or Janikowski’s age [39] or Shane Lechler’s age [40], then you bring in a camp leg for those guys. But here? It’s all about competition. Any of these guys can win these jobs.Koehn and Symmank are making this a good competition. The preseason, obviously, is really the telling sign as to whether a guy can handle it or not. Quigley and Kai have been there before, so we know they should be able to handle it. The other guys, we’ll see.”

http://www.startribune.com/kicker-kai-forbath-punter-ryan-quigley-far-from-vikings-shoo-ins/428311883/[/i]

vike daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor Symmank has made a strong case this spring to take over the punting job vacated by Jeff Locke in free agency. Symmank booted a few impressive punts Thursday ranging beyond 60 yards with veteran Ryan Quigley not reaching the same distance or hang time on his few attempts during team sessions.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-practice-observations-laquon-treadwells-leaping-grab-backup-tackles-shuffle/428685793/

vike daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priefer said Adams also is a candidate to be the backup punt returner behind Sherels. Others in the mix include Coley and undrafted wide receiver R.J. Shelton. Priefer said starting wide receiver Adam Thielen could serve as the backup if something were to happen to Sherels on game day. Sherels was second in the NFL last season with a punt-return average of 13.9 yards. When he missed five games because of injuries, Thielen, Patterson and wide receiver Stefon Diggs combined to average just 4.8 yards on returns.

Priefer: “I’m looking for a backup punt returner because you know how that hurt us last year when Marcus went down. We really struggled.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/16/vikings-key-special-teams-spots-remain-wide-open/[/b]

SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth noting that the sample size of CP, SD and AT returning punts last year is incredibly small.

Diggs was a good returner in college and looked awesome doing it his rookie year in preseason.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF Sherels were to get injured again I don't know if I'd want to put Thielen or Diggs back there. Hopefully Coley shows enough that he could handle those duties.

"My purpose will not be denied."
- Teddy Bridgewater 9/1/16
NoDakViking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
IF Sherels were to get injured again I don't know if I'd want to put Thielen or Diggs back there. Hopefully Coley shows enough that he could handle those duties.

Assuming Coley makes the roster that is.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close is the battle between Forbath and Koehn? Priefer said the pair has each kicked more than 250 field goals over the past two months. One has made 90 percent of his kicks, and the other is at 89 percent. Vikings.com charted field goals attempted in team drills of practices. Through 13 sessions, Forbath made 20 of his 24 kicks, and Koehn hit 17 of his 20 attempts.

Priefer: “They’re responding well. Kai is actually a better kicker than when we got him last November, and Marshall is a better kicker than he was coming out of school.”

Priefer said the punting job was wide open after spring drills, and noted that the Vikings are looking for the punter that will help them pin opponents deep at U.S. Bank Stadium.

Priefer:Ryan is an experienced punter with a couple of years under his belt. With Taylor, he’s got the benefit of being young, he doesn’t overthink things. Taylor probably has a little bit stronger leg, but Ryan is more consistent right now. We’re looking for a guy that when we’re indoors, he’s very good at directional punting."

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Coaches-Assess-Battles-for-Vikings-Kicker-Punter-Positions/d4194203-1f48-4350-8fd1-7c16a2c6e8d9

Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Taylor Symmank has made a strong case this spring to take over the punting job vacated by Jeff Locke in free agency. Symmank booted a few impressive punts Thursday ranging beyond 60 yards with veteran Ryan Quigley not reaching the same distance or hang time on his few attempts during team sessions.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-practice-observations-laquon-treadwells-leaping-grab-backup-tackles-shuffle/428685793/

Quigley has a wet noodle for a leg. He's essentially a less powerful (if you can fathom that) version of Jeff Locke. Good touch, but no boom. Symmank has a big leg, but has yet to prove that he can avoid touchbacks on the pooch kicks. Actually, he has yet to prove much of anything, having not gotten past a couple of tryouts last season.

Ultimately, what's worth more? Missed opportunities to pin opponents on change of possession from mid-field, or two or three yards every time when punting it away? I don't know the answer, but you can't coach a big leg. The Vikings may feel they can teach Symmank the subtleties of precision punting.
Colorado Vike

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
How close is the battle between Forbath and Koehn? Priefer said the pair has each kicked more than 250 field goals over the past two months. One has made 90 percent of his kicks, and the other is at 89 percent. Vikings.com charted field goals attempted in team drills of practices. Through 13 sessions, Forbath made 20 of his 24 kicks, and Koehn hit 17 of his 20 attempts.

Priefer: “They’re responding well. Kai is actually a better kicker than when we got him last November, and Marshall is a better kicker than he was coming out of school.”

Hard to imagine how that happens in either case, unless it's Priefer patting himself on the back for his great coaching of the kickers. Forbath performed well in his half season with Minnesota, I'll give him that. Not sure how anyone can say that makes him a better kicker than he'd been up to that point.

The battle here is much like that at punter. Smaller leg with experience vs. big leg, zero experience. I have a feeling that they'll go with Forbath if it's close.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priefer said on SiriusXM NFL Radio that he has spoken to Vikings coach Mike Zimmer about using second-round pick Dalvin Cook as a kick returner during his rookie season. Cook didn’t hold that job at Florida State, but showed plenty of ability to break off big plays in his offensive role.

Priefer also said that he’s not holding his breath for Zimmer to say yes about putting Cook back on kicks and he can probably give up on the notion altogether if Cook winds up as the starting running back when the team’s work wraps up this summer. The cupboard isn’t bare for Priefer, however. Fifth-round pick Rodney Adams starred as a returner at South Florida and is a leading candidate to take over in Minnesota.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/19/mike-priefer-wants-to-use-dalvin-cook-on-kick-returns/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: