You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sellout for Watson
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB- honestly, Brock played well enough in his first year to buy himself a second opportunity. Like, if we didn't add another QB, it wouldn't mean that there's NO CHANCE we win the superbowl this year. It would be a luxury to add a QB in my opinion (a luxury that we can afford bc...)
TE- Fido and Anderson are both good young players. One was a 3rd rounder, the other was UDFA. I'm confident it won't be overly difficult to replace Ryan Griffin (7th round btw), even if we wait until after the draft, or into the latter portion of FA to do so (assuming we don't resign Griffin in which case TE is not a need in my opinion)
LG- XSF is good. I don't think we need to replace him. I think ppl are getting pretty ridiculous with this one. Dude's probably the best run blocking guard we've ever had, and he's slowly but surely improving as a pass protector. We need a backup, but when I think about a NEED, I think about a position at which we need to add a starter.
RG- I agree, but even if we just resigned Aboushi for cheap and rolled with Allen/Aboushi again, there's a chance that Nick Martin could do well in there if Mancz allows us to line up that way. This is about as close to a need as you can be without being a true NEED in my opinion.
RT- Cha, bigtime. No argument here.
DE/OLB (whichever position Clowney doesnt play next season)- Meh.. honestly, @ OLB if we're able to get back Simon I really like the players we've got there. McKinney can play out there a little bit, and Scarlett looked like we might have something here. @DE, yet another undrafted player, Joel Heath, projects as a very capable starter in my opinion, and Covington is also capable of taking a leap next season.

You see, the thing about drafting players is, they're not all pro bowlers right away. It takes time. So if we go ape [inappropriate/removed] and try and draft replacements for all these + players we've just added, then it'll probably mean someone's smoking crack in there.

Do we NEED to add a starter quality DL? No. Wouldn't hurt, but we're not [inappropriate/removed] if we can't find one.
ILB- Again, I really like the players we have. I mean, how tf were we the #1 defense if we NEED linemen, linebackers, AND DBs? Cushing's got a few years left. I like the idea of adding a superstar type talent here in preparation for his inevitable retirement, but as of right now, he's good, and so are we. Bullough is good too, and really good on special teams, as is Peters, AND Dent (who I wouldn't be surprised to see return). Plus we've got that guy on the practice squad Shakeel Rashad or something that looked pretty damn good last preseason. Not a need.
S (FS for sure and both safety positions if Demps leave via free agency)- If Demps leave, S will certainly besomething to consider.. BUT, we drafted KJ Dillon last season, and there's a possibility that he develops into a quality starter. Also, Eddie Pleasant is solid in the role that we employ him in defensively. And there's always Lonnie Ballentine lol. Corey Moore looked solid. Honestly, this is not a NEED in my opinion. It's a "it would make sense to take a BPA at this position in any given round" position for us.

If we add a starter at RT in FA and shuffle the depth a tiny bit, I think we can, and SHOULD, take the BEST players we can possibly get our hands on, whether that means trading up, down, down and then back up, staying put.. whatever. Their focus should be to try and find players who can legitimately 1. make the team, and 2. add an element to the team that we don't already have on the roster.

And I dunno why everyone doesn't see Watson as the best QB. Give me the guy with all the highlights in the championship games please. While [inappropriate/removed] landing spots like the Jets, or the Bears might cost some of these prospects their success, I feel like Watson, regardless of where he lands, will work.

Last edited by PAtexansFAN99 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jch1911

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
We have needs at:

QB
TE
LG
RG
RT
DE/OLB (whichever position Clowney doesnt play next season)
ILB
S (FS for sure and both safety positions if Demps leave via free agency)

We agree about QB.. but I think we're good in most other spots
- restructure JJ & D Brown = + $12M in cap space (+$25M to start)
- cut Newton Sad // Weeden // Bergstrom // maybe Clark

RB Miller // Grimey (re-signed) ($1.5M in 2017) // Blue // Hunt
FB Prosch
WR1 Nuk (extended ) // Strong
WR2 Fuller // W. Williams
Slot Miller
TE Fido // likely re-sign Griffin (played decently) $2M in 2017 // S. Anderson
LT Brown // Lamm // Gibson (IMHO this is our future LT)
LG XSF // re-signed Aboushi (or whoever loses C battle) (Aboushi = $1.5M in 2017)
C Mancz // Martin
RG Allen (paired with a decent RT, I think his play will vastly improve) // rookie G/T
RT Vollmer (on 2 year deal, $5M APY with $$$ tied to performance + workout) // cheap vet who gets cut from another team for cap purposes

LDE Watt // Kamalu
NT Reader // cheap rotational vet (Hughes?)
RDE Heath // Covington
LOLB Clowney // Simon (re-signed to play for fellow OSU & new DC) 2017: $2.2M
LILB Cushing // Bullough
RILB McKinney // Peters // rookie coverage ILB
ROLB Mercilus // Scarlett
LCB JJo // rookie CB (replace JJo eventually)
RCB Bouye (re-signed for APY $12M; $6M in 2017) // Nelson
Slot KJo
FS KJax (would prefer to trade him.... but) // Hal // Moore // Ballentine
SS Demps (3 years $4M APY; $3M in 2017) // Pleasant // Drummond // Dillon
K Novak or Fairbiarn
P Lechler ($2M in 2017)
LS Weeks

That's just from a quick thought on our roster with a few #s suggested.

Also TBF Rick usually hits on 1st round, screws the pooch in 2 - 4; finds contributors in 5 - 7; and does a decent job of locating some quality UDFAs (although I think it is more the attractiveness of Htown market + lack of state income tax that plays a bigger role).
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we get Watson I will be the happiest man alive.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
mse326

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
We have needs at:

QB
TE
LG
RG
RT
ILB

I disagree with the guard positions. They aren't great but they will do. XSF made strides and I still haven't written him off. RG Allen sucked. But we have Nick Martin coming back and I actually think Mancz did a pretty decent job at center. So one plays center the other RG. We obviously need depth though.

If we can resign Simon I'd be perfectly fine with Clowney at DE and Simon and Mercilus as the OLB. Again though depth is needed.

I would also say we don't need a TE. It is a "weakness" but not a need. What we need is a playmaker other Hopkins and Miller where ever that comes from.

My pre FA mock

1. McCaffrey/Howard/Njoku - Gives us another playmaker
2. Dion Dawkins/Rod. Johnson/Jerey Ugokwe - sure up RT
3. Cooper Kupp WR - might be gone by now but I think he can be a great guy in the slot
4. Anthony Walker Jr ILB - Strength isn't great but he can cover backs out of the backfield which is what we need.

Then start looking secondary help. Freakishly athletic class so the scouts earn their money this year picking the right one(s). I also love Roderick Henderson as sleeper for NT.

#JDI
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
We have needs at:

QB
TE
LG
RG
RT
ILB

I disagree with the guard positions. They aren't great but they will do. XSF made strides and I still haven't written him off. RG Allen sucked. But we have Nick Martin coming back and I actually think Mancz did a pretty decent job at center. So one plays center the other RG. We obviously need depth though.

If we can resign Simon I'd be perfectly fine with Clowney at DE and Simon and Mercilus as the OLB. Again though depth is needed.

I would also say we don't need a TE. It is a "weakness" but not a need. What we need is a playmaker other Hopkins and Miller where ever that comes from.

My pre FA mock

1. McCaffrey/Howard/Njoku - Gives us another playmaker
2. Dion Dawkins/Rod. Johnson/Jerey Ugokwe - sure up RT
3. Cooper Kupp WR - might be gone by now but I think he can be a great guy in the slot
4. Anthony Walker Jr ILB - Strength isn't great but he can cover backs out of the backfield which is what we need.

Then start looking secondary help. Freakishly athletic class so the scouts earn their money this year picking the right one(s). I also love Roderick Henderson as sleeper for NT.

I have to disagree with you on the need at TE. We currently have only 1 TE on the roster, Fido, Griffin and Anderson are FA's. Griffin has been disappointing and Anderson is undersized and nothing special. If we can get someone like Leggett or Hodges in the 3rd round or Butt (depending on injury concerns) then I think we have to pick a TE in the draft if we don't address it in FA.

FYI, I agree with you on the the OG situation, Filo and Allen aren't great but they're serviceable and we've got other much larger needs.
jch1911

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I have to disagree with you on the need at TE. We currently have only 1 TE on the roster, Fido, Griffin and Anderson are FA's.

We currently have 3 TE's under contract: Fido; Anderson; & RaShuan Allen. But I get your point.

If there was a draft to get a super athletic TE, this year is it (for now)
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why cant we just finally draft a 1st round QB. Every team does it, yet we refuse.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
why cant we just finally draft a 1st round QB. Every team does it, yet we refuse.

I feel like this may finally be the year we do it. I think we don't do it too often bc we Rick Smith knows what he's doing. We got JJ the pick after the Jags traded in front of us to draft Blaine Gabbert lololol. But the mystery surrounding the QB rankings in this draft, like everyone's got a different opinion about how they're ranked, combined with the Brock move, and we clearly seem like we're on our [inappropriate/removed] right now in position to strike. I really think we might say Tom Savage is the starter, and then on draft day, Bills are on the clock.. NO WAIT, THE TEXANS HAVE TRADED UP TO #10 FOR #25, bla, and blablabla. With the tenth overall pick in the 2017 nfl draft, the houston texans select.. Deshaun Watson. Relatively cheap, especially considering Mike Glennon is getting Brock Osweiler money from Chicago lol, and we can use that extra cap space in any number of ways.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about trading up that far is that we already dont have our 2nd next year so what would we use to trade up? Losing Demps and Simon makes us have 2 needs to go with all the other needs we have. I guarantee if we traded up Texans fans including myself would be pissed. Honestly at this point im hoping we do the opposite.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point, the way FA has gone, this dream is gone.
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:

60 - Mahomes
59 - Webb
56 - Kizer
55 - Trubisky, Evans
53 - Peterman, Kaaya
49 - Watson
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInTheMirror wrote:
Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine:

60 - Mahomes
59 - Webb
56 - Kizer
55 - Trubisky, Evans
53 - Peterman, Kaaya
49 - Watson

So is the velocity of the ball more important or the size? Whoever plays behind our line is going to need a big set. Not sure how you get that measurable, but college players seem to be checking them in the pile quite often these days.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
candyman93

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say a QB you guys want at 12 is available. Would you trade 1 + 2 + 3 for him or is that too much?

1. Browns- Myles Garrett
2. 49ers- Solomon Thomas
3. Bears- Jonathan Allen
4. Jaguars- Leonard Fournette
5. Titans- Marshon Lattimore
6. Jets- Jamal Adams
7. Chargers- Malik Hooker
8. Panthers- Derek Barnett
9. Bengals- Corey Davis
10. Bills - Mike Williams
11. Saints - Reuben Foster
dsorc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
Let's say a QB you guys want at 12 is available. Would you trade 1 + 2 + 3 for him or is that too much?

1. Browns- Myles Garrett
2. 49ers- Solomon Thomas
3. Bears- Jonathan Allen
6. Jets- Jamal Adams
9. Bengals- Corey Davis

Some here are desperate enough for a QB that they might be willing to make a trade like that. Personally, I don't think it is likely. None of the QBs in this draft are worth that much and we need those extra picks to fix our OL.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
candyman93 wrote:

1. Browns- Myles Garrett
2. 49ers- Solomon Thomas
3. Bears- Jonathan Allen
6. Jets- Jamal Adams
9. Bengals- Corey Davis

Some here are desperate enough for a QB that they might be willing to make a trade like that. Personally, I don't think it is likely. None of the QBs in this draft are worth that much and we need those extra picks to fix our OL.

Exactly. Im all for the Texans being aggressive in the first round for once (Jason Babin is the only time we traded up in round 1 IIRC) but this year isnt the draft to do it. Too many holes to fill.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: