Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Update your wish list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
resilient

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
By no means can we rule out a tight end early. This is the best tight end class in years, this is potentially Witten's last season, and this is the Cowboys.

I really want more picks this year. If we let Carr/Claiborne walk and not sign anyone else that'll affect comp picks, then I wouldn't feel bad about trading '18 picks for '17 ones

I believe I said the exact same thing somewhere. About the TE and draft picks that is.
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still want (to draft) a speedy WR.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManInTheMirror wrote:
I still want (to draft) a speedy WR.

There will be value speedsters later on like Cannon.

Speedy Noil could be a UDRFA signing. And could be a real steal if he gets his act together.
Moz, bad teams pick in the top 5.That's the way the draft works.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with the thought that trading down in this draft would be wise. Tons of talent, let's stockpile picks.

If we are stuck at #28, my wishlist right now is David Njoku and TJ Watt. HM for Takk. I think I'd pass on a DB in the first. So many good ones, and not a lot of separation between them. I'll take one as a steal in round 2 or 3.
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the draft I still wish we'd re-sign Mo or Carr. I'd feel so much better about the secondary if we do so. As it stands in my eyes we need a #1 CB and #1 SS. Not trying to be dramatic here but if N. Carrol is one of our starting 2 CB's may as well pack in the 2017 season.

I'm also a little worried about LB because I still and never had faith Jaylon Smith will recover the way Jerry and the brass wished he would.

DEPTH CHART

CB
1. ???
2. A.Brown
3. Scandrick
4. N.Carroll
5. ???

FS
1. B.Jones
2. ??? / J.Heath

SS
1. ??? / J.Heath
2. K.Frazier

EL ramster on the sig!
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I tend to agree with the thought that trading down in this draft would be wise. Tons of talent, let's stockpile picks.

If we are stuck at #28, my wishlist right now is David Njoku and TJ Watt. HM for Takk. I think I'd pass on a DB in the first. So many good ones, and not a lot of separation between them. I'll take one as a steal in round 2 or 3.

I hope to God Njoku is off the board so we don't waste yet another pick on TE high. Seriously this defense is not capable right now of fielding a unit. We HAVE to draft defense this time. We truly must.

I agree we can wait on CB until round 2 or 3. Extremely deep. I'd be down for a DE at 28. I pretty much guarantee a solid guy will be there. I really like Lawson and Tim Williams. Sux Cowboys are scared to draft though and will pass him up cause of Randy Gregory.

EL ramster on the sig!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

I hope to God Njoku is off the board so we don't waste yet another pick on TE high. Seriously this defense is not capable right now of fielding a unit. We HAVE to draft defense this time. We truly must.

I agree we can wait on CB until round 2 or 3. Extremely deep. I'd be down for a DE at 28. I pretty much guarantee a solid guy will be there. I really like Lawson and Tim Williams. Sux Cowboys are scared to draft though and will pass him up cause of Randy Gregory.

I just don't really agree with the "we truly must" draft defense in round one. Why? Such a short-sighted way to think about team building.
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

I just don't really agree with the "we truly must" draft defense in round one. Why? Such a short-sighted way to think about team building.

Short sighted because the window is now. Dez, The o-line and Zeke all in their prime. Need to go after it now before everyone gets old and or leaves. Seriously why draft a TE for next year when you can draft a DE or CB for now and next year? Their will be a quality player at either of those positions and unless OJ Howard is there the CB or DE will be at the very least very close to BPA. I'm down for BPA but only to a certain extent. If it's close go need.

EL ramster on the sig!
Calvert28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

I've been saying this for awhile now. We need to find a way to get as many 2nds as possible .
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Short sighted because the window is now. Dez, The o-line and Zeke all in their prime. Need to go after it now before everyone gets old and or leaves. Seriously why draft a TE for next year when you can draft a DE or CB for now and next year? Their will be a quality player at either of those positions and unless OJ Howard is there the CB or DE will be at the very least very close to BPA. I'm down for BPA but only to a certain extent. If it's close go need.

Your original argument was that we "truly must" go defense, but I'm glad you are willing to admit that your approach is short-sighted. I think that's an insane way to try and win a Super Bowl. You want to removing half of the prospects from consideration in the 1st round because they play offense. Ridiculous.

We've got a 23 year old stud QB and a chance to build a sustainable model around him that competes year-in and year-out. If there is a seam-busting, future Pro Bowl tight end sitting there at my pick, I'm taking a very hard look at him.
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our front office/head coach situation is stable, our coordinators are likely to receive extensions, the majority of our key players in their 20s, we have very few bad contracts and even fewer key 2018 UFAs, we have a huge haul of compensatory picks coming next year and our quarterback is 23... but the window is now!!! 2017 or die!!

But in fairness, I don't think limiting ourselves to this year's defensive prospects in the first is cutting out half of the list of prospects, per se, because I suspect well more than half of the players drafted in the first round this year will, ultimately, be defensive players. On the other hand, drafting an offensive player first, then three straight defenders could bear positive results for us as it did last year.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Your original argument was that we "truly must" go defense, but I'm glad you are willing to admit that your approach is short-sighted. I think that's an insane way to try and win a Super Bowl. You want to removing half of the prospects from consideration in the 1st round because they play offense. Ridiculous.

We've got a 23 year old stud QB and a chance to build a sustainable model around him that competes year-in and year-out. If there is a seam-busting, future Pro Bowl tight end sitting there at my pick, I'm taking a very hard look at him.

Davis, Mike Williams and OJ Howard are the exceptions. I just don't really get the hype with Njokue. I mean yeah the upside is there, Honestly the TE I like is Jake Butt maybe in the 3rd or 4th round. That would be ideal imo. We all know with Witten here no other TE will get a significant role until he is gone.

EL ramster on the sig!
Action Jackson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year I feel like we should try really hard to trade down. Sure you lose that 5th year option but you can worry about that in 4 years. I'm not gonna freak out over 1 year option to be honest. That aspect is a little overblown.

Mo and Carr R.I.P. for good Sad
Our secondary scares the ever loving [inappropriate/removed] out of me.

EL ramster on the sig!
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

Davis, Mike Williams and OJ Howard are the exceptions. I just don't really get the hype with Njokue. I mean yeah the upside is there, Honestly the TE I like is Jake Butt maybe in the 3rd or 4th round. That would be ideal imo. We all know with Witten here no other TE will get a significant role until he is gone.

You don't think Njoku is worth it or that we "truly must" go defense? Which is it?

I think Jake Butt is very likely to be a Cowboy, FWIW.
Calvert28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its more and more likely we are targetting a DB in Rd 1.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: