Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Name Your Numbers [Offseason Contracts]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Most Valuable (Pending) Offseason Acquisition
Lang
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Tretter
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Peppers
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Lacy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Perry
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
1 of Kirkpatrick/Claiborne/Carr/Gilmore/Amukamara
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Round 1 Cornerback
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Round 1 EDGE
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Name Your Numbers [Offseason Contracts] Reply with quote

Post your thoughts on coming free agency deals, both Packers' and external free agents.

________

Depart:
T.J. Lang [29, OG]: 4 years, $36.8m [14m guaranteed) with Minnesota Vikings
Thompson pays for future production, and Lang’s long injury record represents enough of a concern for Thompson to once again forgo the veteran for the inexperienced, affordable backup. Lang’s replacement is still a question mark, and his veteran leadership will be sorely missed. Still, you’re looking at paying a 30, 31 and 32 year old top-tier money knowing he’ll be nicked up a quarter of the year and possibly more. More problematic is investing three draft picks to move up for Jason Spriggs, only to further stunt his growth by paying big bucks for an aging veteran guard. Sooner or later you need to find a spot for Spriggs; retaining Lang complicates Spriggs’ development and clutters your financial picture with three sizable OL contracts and an emerging second round pick. As valuable a veteran presence as Lang is, the money isn’t right. The Queens to Green Bay's west pick him up for four years as a leader to solidify one of the most talent deprived positional groups in the league.

JC Tretter [26, OL]: 4 years, $24.8m [11m guaranteed] with Cleveland Browns
Cleveland has a staggering amount of cap space and a relatively decent offensive line with Bitonio and Thomas already in the picture. Bringing in Tretter provides Hue Jackson with a versatile, intelligent and young piece to solidify their front. Green Bay bawks at paying Tretter starter money with Linsley under contract through 2017 and Spriggs’ imminent development. He’s a luxury at this point, sadly. Cleveland then focuses its wealth of draft picks elsewhere.

People are probably wondering, how in the hell can we afford to lose two of our top interior offensive linemen with no clear replacement plan? My answer is this: Thompson values G far less than any other position on the offensive line, our book-end tackles are set for at least three years and we recently invested three selections in Jason Spriggs. You resign one of Lang and Tretter and you instantly deprive yourself of the financial flexibility to fill other holes on the roster, namely in the secondary. As others have said, Thompson is about money allocated—and more specifically, resources—toward position groups. Retaining Lang or Tretter creates an uncomfortable if imbalanced level of investment.

*Lang and Tretter’s departure net us 4th and 5th round compensatory selections in 2018.

Retain:
Jared Cook [29, TE]: 3 years, $16.8m [6m guaranteed]
Contract Comparison: Ladarius Green (4/$20m in 2016)
Why He Stays: See: Dallas, Texas [Divisional Round]; Rodgers’ comments re: Cook is enough for me. His size, speed and surprisingly reliable hands made him an invaluable piece to our 2016 run. At the least, these three years buys us time to find and develop a younger tight end.

Micah Hyde [26, DB]: 3 years, $9.6m [4.6m guaranteed]
Contract Comparison: Tramaine Brock (4/$14m in 2014)
Why He Stays: The most conflicting player on the roster in terms of perceived value to outsiders. Hyde’s ability to play six positions often goes unmentioned. What tends to be the focus, rather, is his inadequate open-field speed that leaves him in vulnerable spots. Still, a player of Hyde’s mental makeup and versatility has a spot on every NFL roster. Given Green Bay’s fragile cornerback situation compounded by inexperience on the boundary, it’s important to have a veteran piece capable of spot duty.

Nick Perry [26, EDGE]: 4 years, $44m [16m guaranteed]
Contract Comparison: Vinny Curry (5/$46.25m in 2016)
Why He Stays: Perry is the Packers’ prize piece in the 2017 offseason class. His transition to the league was muddled by injury and inconsistency. Though he hasn’t missed significant time since his rookie season due to his ability to play with serious injuries (55 of 64 GP since 2013), his history of minor bumps and bruises nevertheless poses a concern. What isn’t a concern and is often overlooked when evaluating Perry’s value is his strength in shutting down the run game. Perry came in as a bruiser and remains a rugged edge setter. It’s worth noting Perry’s value to Green Bay only increases as Matthews ages and Peppers prepares to depart. The 11 sacks Perry registered in 12 starts last season reflected his increased playing time—his 12 starts were a career high. Thompson tends to pay players for their coming production, not their past achievements. Perry is set to be another example of Green Bay’s brass taking care of their own and building from within. While the number might seem high ($11m AAV), it’s a small price to pay for a premier rusher in the prime of his career.

Datone Jones [26, EDGE]: 1 year, $2.5m [0.75m guaranteed]
Why He Stays: Last season was his first as an edge defender, and Jones proved he can be a disruptive force, albeit infrequently enough to force management to decline his fifth year option. Still, his one sack in 2016 doesn’t tell the whole story. With an aging, oft-injured Matthews on one side and Perry returning on the other, Jones has an opportunity to make himself serious money as our third rusher. He can rush from a variety of techniques and is physical in the run game against tight ends. As he grows more comfortable standing up, Jones has a chance to resurrect what was a disappointing start to his career. The opportunity is there in 2017—he could very well splash with 5+ sacks in a situational role and set himself up as a mid-tier free agent in 2018.

Julius Peppers [36, EDGE]:
1 year, $4.75m [2m guaranteed] incentive laden
Why He Stays: Ted probably looks around at the EDGE market and sees little worth investing in. Guys like Melvin Ingram are going to be paid like superstars. Meanwhile, Peppers seems interested in one more run, and the familiarity Green Bay represents means he sticks around in Wisconsin for a year rather than jumping ship to another contender.

Don Barclay [27, OL]:
1 year, $0.78m veteran minimum (5 years)
Why He Stays: Veteran interior lineman with experience in the system and the ability to get us out of a game at three positions. Not sexy by any means, but a guy the coaching staff clearly values more than fans.

Eddie Lacy [25, RB]:
2 years, $7m incentive laden
Why He Stays: McCarthy's glowing praise of the beleaguered Lacy caught me off guard. The team obviously prioritizes Lacy's physicality, especially as the season wears on and the weather hardens. Right now, management probably senses that they have a golden opportunity to lock up Lacy for at least two years, a deal that's a win-win for both sides, given Lacy's past production and his injury and conditioning concerns. The two-year deal allows Lacy to regain his 2013-2014 form, while giving Green Bay the bruiser it needs to best complement Montgomery's skillset.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?

Last edited by CentralFC on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would sign Tretter to that deal in a second. He's better than Linsley and we'll have to re-sign him next year anyways. Even with Linsley on the roster Tretter is probably also the best G on the team if Lang walks.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevein2012 wrote:
I would sign Tretter to that deal in a second. He's better than Linsley and we'll have to re-sign him next year anyways. Even with Linsley on the roster Tretter is probably also the best G on the team if Lang walks.

What makes people say Tretter is a definitively better center than Linsley? I'm genuinely curious. I know he's more agile and really heady, but the difference has to be negligible at best, save JC's versatility.

I'm just wary paying someone with his injury history when there are undoubtedly more affordable pieces on this team and in the draft.

DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd offer Hyde, 1 year $27.00

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

packerrfan74

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yall trash on Hyde WAY to hard on this board.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give Tretter that deal in a heartbeat. I think he gets far more if the reports he's priced himself out of GB are true.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised you left Cook off your poll. This draft is very deep at TE but it still would be good to have him back while we groom one for the future.

I'd keep either Lang or Tretter. Tretter is younger but can he stay healthy?

Perry might end up too expensive for Ted if some team offers him the moon.

It would be nice to keep Hyde. His versatility is valuable. Will he get a better offer elsewhere is the $1M question.

I don't know if Lacy will in high demand this offseason so we could resign him for yet another "prove it" contract.

Lord, I hope we can find somebody better than Barclay in this draft. How that stiff is still on the roster is a mystery to me.

If Peppers does indeed want one more run he might have to take a pay cut to stay in GB.

I won't shed a tear to see D. Jones find employment elsewhere. He is usually good for one boneheaded play a game. Confused
CentralFC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
I'd give Tretter that deal in a heartbeat. I think he gets far more if the reports he's priced himself out of GB are true.

How high would you go on a four year deal?

pollino14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would make me sick to my stomach seeing Lang in a Vikings uniform.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pollino14 wrote:
It would make me sick to my stomach seeing Lang in a Vikings uniform.

If both Lang and Tretter go it would be a massive fail by TT. It would take a very good offensive line and immediately turn them into average. It would also make me sick for TT to be forced to use a 1st round draft pick on an offensive lineman, and don't tell me Spitz is our guard of the future he's a tackle. The Packers can not lose both of these guys if they expect to contend next year.
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If, god forbid, we lose both Lang and Tretter could Lucas Patrick be our next Lane Taylor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: