You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cowboys looking to trade Alfred Morris?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beats2rock

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Cowboys looking to trade Alfred Morris? Reply with quote

He would have been their guy if not for drafting Elliott. I think he can still be a 1000 yard back and that's exactly what this team needs to help our sputtering offense. I say we give up a 5th rounder for him and all of a sudden our backfield looks a whole hell of a lot better. Thoughts?
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would be a definite upgrade. He runs hard and has very good cutting ability for a back his size. There is no doubt in my mind that he has plenty left in the tank. A fifth rounder for him would be a steal. If not for drafting Elliott Morris would have put up 1300 to 1400 easily. Pull the trigger.
Lions017

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be wary of this - there are RB's that can be had for just cash or taken with that same draft pick. Morris is a solid back, but he's only under contract for one more year I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can draft a first round running back and he could never give you more than 500 in a season and you could draft a 5th rounder and he might not ever make a NFL squad but you could rent an Alfred Morris and know exactly what you are getting. You know that he can run and be more than productive and he can block and he can give you a solid chance at a 1000 yard runner. Abdullah is one of my favorite backs we have drafted but he might always be banged up. We can roll with what we have but if we continue to give Stafford the worst running team in the league then defenses are going to key in on what we are doing game in and game out. You have to put yourself in a position to win and have backs that average 3 ypc and 400 per year puts you in for a QB that has to throw it 40 times per game.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 28 and has been declining every year of his career. I wouldn't even trade a conditional 2018 7th for him.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
You can draft a first round running back and he could never give you more than 500 in a season and you could draft a 5th rounder and he might not ever make a NFL squad but you could rent an Alfred Morris and know exactly what you are getting. You know that he can run and be more than productive and he can block and he can give you a solid chance at a 1000 yard runner. Abdullah is one of my favorite backs we have drafted but he might always be banged up. We can roll with what we have but if we continue to give Stafford the worst running team in the league then defenses are going to key in on what we are doing game in and game out. You have to put yourself in a position to win and have backs that average 3 ypc and 400 per year puts you in for a QB that has to throw it 40 times per game.
Why even draft anybody? Why not just trade away all of your unproven draft picks for current "proven" NFL players.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean if you guys want to give us something for a player we'll probably end up cutting...

^^^El Rammy
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about giving away all picks for proven players it is about getting someone who is proven to be effective at a position of need as opposed to hoping someone drafted would equal what Morris can bring. To think that why not trade all our picks is just silly and an overreaction statement. Obviously that would not be an effective method to approach a draft process but in the case of 1 player for 1 pick to help out the Lions at a position that has hampered their franchise for well over a decade would be a logical move. They can't keep hoping that a pick will be the one when 10 times out of 10 they are not. Abdullah might be the one but Morris as a stop gap who can bring us at least a 100 yard rusher in a game until Abdullah is ready and can prove he is ready. He shows flashes but flashes are not fire and the running game lacks fire. And to the thought of giving a team a draft pick for someone they are going to cut anyway well when you look at it from the Lions prospective if we were to not trade for him then he can go anywhere where as if we trade for him then we own rights. Pretty simple thinking.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might trade our 7th for Morris and their 7th.
All hail Nnivolcm.

Team Stylish
beats2rock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are the running backs the lions have drafted in the past 16 years I could have gone all the way back to Barry to make an even more solid point but I don't have all night.

2016 7th rd- Dwayne Washington
2015 2nd rd- Ameer Abdulah
2013 6th rd- Theo Riddick
2011 2nd rd- Mikel Leshoure
2010 1st rd- Javid Best
2009 6th rd- Aaron Brown
2008 3rd rd- Kevin Smith
2006 3rd rd- Brian Calhoun
2004 1st rd- Kevin Jones
2003 4th rd- Artose Pinner
2002 7th rd- Luke Staley
2000 3rd rd- Reuben Droughns
Lions017

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beats2rock wrote:
these are the running backs the lions have drafted in the past 16 years I could have gone all the way back to Barry to make an even more solid point but I don't have all night.

2010 1st rd- Javid Best
2009 6th rd- Aaron Brown
2008 3rd rd- Kevin Smith
2004 1st rd- Kevin Jones
2002 7th rd- Luke Staley

And this is relevant...how? We have a completely new front office. Their only drafted RB, Dwayne Washington, at least showed a few flashes last year.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lions017 wrote:
beats2rock wrote:

2010 1st rd- Javid Best
2009 6th rd- Aaron Brown
2008 3rd rd- Kevin Smith
2004 1st rd- Kevin Jones
2002 7th rd- Luke Staley

And this is relevant...how? We have a completely new front office. Their only drafted RB, Dwayne Washington, at least showed a few flashes last year.

Not to mention three of those RBs had very promising careers going and were derailed by injuries. I don't like Morris, I think the fact that Washington and Dallas are so easily willing to let him go is telling. If he is cut I am all for giving him a chance in camp but I don't think he would be any more productive than Zenner behind our line.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away, draft a guy in the lower rounds before trading for him.

Unless we trade someone like Cornelius Lucas for Morris straight up. Even then though, he's just tying up a roster spot.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the value. He has declined every year. 3.5 YPC behind the Dallas Oline is just terrible IMO.

I think we would be trading for a 28-29 year old running back with declining skills. I'm all for drafting younger guys with potential over older backs on their last legs.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beats2rock wrote:

2010 1st rd- Javid Best
2009 6th rd- Aaron Brown
2008 3rd rd- Kevin Smith
2004 1st rd- Kevin Jones
2002 7th rd- Luke Staley
Don't see the relation. Alfred Morris is not really that good and the Lions FO draft history has no effect on his playing ability.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: