Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Raider Draft Thread 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 85, 86, 87  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:
jrich and dwash will never be full time player, we need a vet running back like lynch for wearing the defense down

Murray was under rated on his pass blocking skills. He was a very good pass blocker. He was ranked 3rd I think according to PFF. Washington and Richard didn't have many pass blocking reps which may be an indicator that we had concerns.

The biggest problem for rookie RBs is pass blocking. Given what happened. when Carr went down last year, I'm picking up a vet RB who I know can pass block than taking a risk on a mid round RB.

For that back to use the pass blocking he would have to not only be a 3rd down back but be good out of the shotgun. Not many of those hanging around at this point. Johnson and Taylor from the Cards come to mind but both are lacking in other areas we would look for.

College backs get the rep they can't block because they have to learn their teams offensive calls and audibles and recognize defensive shifts and tendencies. It helps if they were already doing it in college like the Oklahoma backs were. There are backs in college that can pass block. Mixon and Perine were expected to block not only in the pocket but on options, bootlegs and sprint out by Mayfield and as lead blockers for each other all year.

Lead blocking is not pass blocking and Mixon did little pass blocking, he is average in that regard. Most of the bigger backs likley available in mid rounds have concerns over their pass blocking e.g Conner.

I know that there is a difference in lead blocking and pass blocking. That's why I listed that they did both along with mobile pocket protection for Mayfield. And yes, I would say he was avg.

Glad you agree.

I agreed that he was avg not that he didn't do it much btw. Perine was just better at it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a good draft for zone CBs. Desmond King, Rasul Douglas, Teez Tabor, Corn Elder, Damontae Kazee, Cameron Sutton, Cordrea Tankersley, and Jeremy Cutrer wouldn't be bad options later on in the 2017 NFL Draft if you miss out on Marshon Lattimore, Gareon Conley, Sidney Jones IV, Marlon Humphrey, Kevin King, and Tre'Davious White.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:
jrich and dwash will never be full time player, we need a vet running back like lynch for wearing the defense down

Murray was under rated on his pass blocking skills. He was a very good pass blocker. He was ranked 3rd I think according to PFF. Washington and Richard didn't have many pass blocking reps which may be an indicator that we had concerns.

The biggest problem for rookie RBs is pass blocking. Given what happened. when Carr went down last year, I'm picking up a vet RB who I know can pass block than taking a risk on a mid round RB.

For that back to use the pass blocking he would have to not only be a 3rd down back but be good out of the shotgun. Not many of those hanging around at this point. Johnson and Taylor from the Cards come to mind but both are lacking in other areas we would look for.

College backs get the rep they can't block because they have to learn their teams offensive calls and audibles and recognize defensive shifts and tendencies. It helps if they were already doing it in college like the Oklahoma backs were. There are backs in college that can pass block. Mixon and Perine were expected to block not only in the pocket but on options, bootlegs and sprint out by Mayfield and as lead blockers for each other all year.

Lead blocking is not pass blocking and Mixon did little pass blocking, he is average in that regard. Most of the bigger backs likley available in mid rounds have concerns over their pass blocking e.g Conner.

I know that there is a difference in lead blocking and pass blocking. That's why I listed that they did both along with mobile pocket protection for Mayfield. And yes, I would say he was avg.

Glad you agree.

I agreed that he was avg not that he didn't do it much btw. Perine was just better at it.

I was glad you agreed that there is a difference in lead blocking and pass blocking as I couldn't see why you brought up lead blocking when I clearly referred to pass blocking.

As ever I am sure you will want the last word and I await the inevitable silly gif.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

Glad you agree.

I was glad you agreed that there is a difference in lead blocking and pass blocking as I couldn't see why you brought up lead blocking when I clearly referred to pass blocking.

As ever I am sure you will want the last word and I await the inevitable silly gif.

i couldve swore dwash was pretty good at pass blocking with texas tech and they ran shotgun most of the time

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

Glad you agree.

i couldve swore dwash was pretty good at pass blocking with texas tech and they ran shotgun most of the time

I am more bothered about what Washington is like in the pros and he wasn't asked to do much pass blocking. With him only being 5'8 204lbs how much do we want him pass blocking ?
Gaetano

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:

Cook ran vs his share of weak competition as well. Weak argument. Plus Mixon was sharing carries most of the year with another good back in Perine.

All the things that you stated as strengths for Cook are also strengths for Mixon. And you didn't mention any of the red flags for Cook besides blocking. Saying that he just needs to get the technique down is ridiculous. You're telling me that he didn't have the coaching, desire, ability to learn that vital skill in 3 yrs. Good blitz pick up is about film study, having the desire to stick your nose in there and lay a hit and technique. There are already signs of Cook making business decisions because of that bum shoulder but to show he didn't get that down in 3yrs and 680plus carries is alarming.

Maybe he just won't be that type of back that we could depend to protect Carr. Well that is a major concern considering how important that is to Carr(talks about how Murray best trait was pass blocking), the team(Reggie and Oline stress protection) and fans.

Then you put on top of that the fact that our need at RB is a back that can not only step in and pass block but also get those tough yards, Mixon should be is clearly in front of Cook on our big board. The only reason that makes sense to drop him is if you can't get past the incident 3 yrs ago. Well, it seems Mark has signed off.

Cook destroyed the upper echelon of competition. If you want to dismiss it as him and Mixon against the same level of comp, OK, but its disingenuous at best

And Mixon does not possess anywhere near Cook's elite vision. The difference between us and most teams though is that you might not need elite vision with a great OL opening wide holes.. but I tend to believe our pass blocking is what's elite and our run blocking is average to above average. For all the Mixon love, he could easily wind up a homerun threat that will get what's blocked.

Mixon has Cook on pass-pro and ball security, handily. And Cook has vision and the ability to create yards for himself, handily. Since we have depth and the league seems to be really embracing the 3-headed backfields, I'd prefer the guy who has the best running/creating skills and would bank on him learning technique (yes, this is what's the issue w/Cook) through repetition over hoping Mixon develops better vision. I wouldn't mind Mixon FWIW, but I dont think he's on Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey's levels as guys who will create yardage on their own
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaetano wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

Cook ran vs his share of weak competition as well. Weak argument. Plus Mixon was sharing carries most of the year with another good back in Perine.

All the things that you stated as strengths for Cook are also strengths for Mixon. And you didn't mention any of the red flags for Cook besides blocking. Saying that he just needs to get the technique down is ridiculous. You're telling me that he didn't have the coaching, desire, ability to learn that vital skill in 3 yrs. Good blitz pick up is about film study, having the desire to stick your nose in there and lay a hit and technique. There are already signs of Cook making business decisions because of that bum shoulder but to show he didn't get that down in 3yrs and 680plus carries is alarming.

Maybe he just won't be that type of back that we could depend to protect Carr. Well that is a major concern considering how important that is to Carr(talks about how Murray best trait was pass blocking), the team(Reggie and Oline stress protection) and fans.

Then you put on top of that the fact that our need at RB is a back that can not only step in and pass block but also get those tough yards, Mixon should be is clearly in front of Cook on our big board. The only reason that makes sense to drop him is if you can't get past the incident 3 yrs ago. Well, it seems Mark has signed off.

Cook destroyed the upper echelon of competition. If you want to dismiss it as him and Mixon against the same level of comp, OK, but its disingenuous at best

And Mixon does not possess anywhere near Cook's elite vision. The difference between us and most teams though is that you might not need elite vision with a great OL opening wide holes.. but I tend to believe our pass blocking is what's elite and our run blocking is average to above average. For all the Mixon love, he could easily wind up a homerun threat that will get what's blocked.

Mixon has Cook on pass-pro and ball security, handily. And Cook has vision and the ability to create yards for himself, handily. Since we have depth and the league seems to be really embracing the 3-headed backfields, I'd prefer the guy who has the best running/creating skills and would bank on him learning technique (yes, this is what's the issue w/Cook) through repetition over hoping Mixon develops better vision. I wouldn't mind Mixon FWIW, but I dont think he's on Fournette/Cook/McCaffrey's levels as guys who will create yardage on their own

It's not disingenuous to say that Cook ran vs the same amount of weak Acc defenses that Mixon did in the Big 10. But yes, you are right that Cook had great games vs stout defenses of Clemson and Michigan.

I don't think Mixon is very far back at all in creating yards for himself especially when running up the middle. Cook has a tendency to be impatience and try to bounce everything outside while Mixon uses his vision and decisiveness to hit the hole and run thru tackles. Mixon is by far tougher in traffic, generates more leg power on contact, has a sick jump step and possess a devastating stiff arm. Mixon is also an elite receiver not only in route running, but in separation and hands. Only McCaffery can match him there. Cook also is an injury concern having 3 surgeries on the same shoulder since high school along with hamstring troubles off and on.

So when looking at our needs and our system in regards to RB needs, Mixon checks all the boxes. A willing pass blocker. Powerful in the gap and in traffic. Elite in the passing game. Rarely fumbles. No injury concerns. By far the more versatile back.

Not saying Cook is a bad back. On the contrary, he is very good. But don't think it's close when deciding who would be better for our team if we took a back early. Mixon all day.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Gaetano wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

It's not disingenuous to say that Cook ran vs the same amount of weak Acc defenses that Mixon did in the Big 10. But yes, you are right that Cook had great games vs stout defenses of Clemson and Michigan.

I don't think Mixon is very far back at all in creating yards for himself especially when running up the middle. Cook has a tendency to be impatience and try to bounce everything outside while Mixon uses his vision and decisiveness to hit the hole and run thru tackles. Mixon is by far tougher in traffic, generates more leg power on contact, has a sick jump step and possess a devastating stiff arm. Mixon is also an elite receiver not only in route running, but in separation and hands. Only McCaffery can match him there. Cook also is an injury concern having 3 surgeries on the same shoulder since high school along with hamstring troubles off and on.

So when looking at our needs and our system in regards to RB needs, Mixon checks all the boxes. A willing pass blocker. Powerful in the gap and in traffic. Elite in the passing game. Rarely fumbles. No injury concerns. By far the more versatile back.

Not saying Cook is a bad back. On the contrary, he is very good. But don't think it's close when deciding who would be better for our team if we took a back early. Mixon all day.

What bothers me is that we could have signed Mike Gillislee for a 5th and not even have had to have this conversation.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

Glad you agree.

I brought up lead blocking because it's another thing that Mixon can do that is related to pass blocking adds value to him as a prosepct and completed my point of Mixon's versatile blocking usage most college backs don't have. Having the Richard/DWash on the field at the same time as Mixon and running powers or counters is a huge plus in his column. Plus it would keep the defense guessing on who is getting the ball, whether it was a run or pass etc. I brought up blocking outside the pocket because hopefully Downing will keep Carr's game progressing to the point that he is comfortable rolling out and running play actions and Mixon is trained in blocking those sets.

Here's your gif.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drfrey13 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Gaetano wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:

What bothers me is that we could have signed Mike Gillislee for a 5th and not even have had to have this conversation.

Bills are still thinking about matching that offer sheet. We'd also have to pay him 4mil. Not saying that's a deal breaker but it's also something to think about.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

Glad you agree.

I brought up lead blocking because it's another thing that Mixon can do that is related to pass blocking adds value to him as a prosepct and completed my point of Mixon's versatile blocking usage most college backs don't have. Having the Richard/DWash on the field at the same time as Mixon and running powers or counters is a huge plus in his column. Plus it would keep the defense guessing on who is getting the ball, whether it was a run or pass etc. I brought up blocking outside the pocket because hopefully Downing will keep Carr's game progressing to the point that he is comfortable rolling out and running play actions and Mixon is trained in blocking those sets.

Here's your gif.

Mixon rarely pass blocked and even when he did as you agreed he was average, in college.

Quote:
Pass protection is an unknown due to heavy use as a receiver. Stayed in to block on less than 20 percent of passing plays, and actually engaged with defenders on even fewer plays. Allowed five pressures on 98 snaps where he stayed in to pass block over two years.

As predicted you rolled out the stupid gif, lame as ever.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Is it worth taking sidney jones in the 2nd? A bit of a boom bust, but IMO, I would take the chance. Long term, he could be a #1 corner for us. Assuming medical checks out. He'll only be 21 next season too.

Not for me. Unlikely to play any of 2017, poor tackler and probably under sized for boundary for what we look for. 3rd/4th maybe.

According to reports, he'll be back for September. And he's arguably the best cover man in this class with really good ball skills.

Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Dessie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Dessie wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Is it worth taking sidney jones in the 2nd? A bit of a boom bust, but IMO, I would take the chance. Long term, he could be a #1 corner for us. Assuming medical checks out. He'll only be 21 next season too.

Not for me. Unlikely to play any of 2017, poor tackler and probably under sized for boundary for what we look for. 3rd/4th maybe.

According to reports, he'll be back for September. And he's arguably the best cover man in this class with really good ball skills.

I'm betting those reports came from him.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
wrote:
Pass protection is an unknown due to heavy use as a receiver. Stayed in to block on less than 20 percent of passing plays, and actually engaged with defenders on even fewer plays. Allowed five pressures on 98 snaps where he stayed in to pass block over two years.

That quote actually gives a pretty good account of his pass blocking. 5 pressures on 98 possibles plays where he stayed in to block. Pretty solid #s for a HB IMO.

Here is another gif for you - The more you hate'em, the more you get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
Dessie wrote:
jlieberum1985 wrote:

Glad you agree.

Here's your gif.

Mixon rarely pass blocked and even when he did as you agreed he was average, in college.

Quote:

That quote actually gives a pretty good account of his pass blocking. 5 pressures on 98 possibles plays where he stayed in to block. Pretty solid #s for a HB IMO.

Here is another gif for you - The more you hate'em, the more you get.

Average blocker might be what your standard is but i want better than that looking after our franchise QB.

You keep em coming, they are making you look good, honest.

Last edited by Dessie on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 85, 86, 87  Next
Page 80 of 87

Jump to: