Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Round-Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: 2017 KC Chiefs Roster Analysis - The Round-Up Reply with quote

This overview is a copy & paste of the projected line-ups at the various positions throughout my roster review. Obviously Charles' release will have an impact at RB. For further analysis scroll down.

black: 2016 player
bold: under contract through 2017 (in italics: status not confirmed)
violet: 2016 Practice Squad player
red: Free Agent
green: Draft Pick
orange: UDFA

RT - Schwartz, Witzmann
RG - Duvernay-Tardif
OC - Morse, Fulton
LG - Ehinger, mid-late round draft pick
LT - Fisher, third tier FA

QB - Smith, mid-level FA, Bray, Stave, late round draft pick

WR - Conley, Robinson
Slot - Hill
WR - Maclin, Thomas, late-round pick or UDFA

TE - Kelce, D. Harris

Other Players: Travis, O'Shaughnessy, late round draft pick, UDFA

RB - Round 2-4 draft pick, Ware, West, Reaves
FB - Sherman

DE - Howard, Nunez-Rochez
NT - Jones, Barnes, mid-round draft pick
DE - Bailey, Reyes or Jenkins

WOLB - Ford, Hali, Nicholas
WILB - March-Lillard, T. Smith, third tier veteran
SILB - high draft pick, R. Wilson
SOLB - Houston, Zombo, mid-round draft pick

CB - Peters, White
NB - Nelson
CB - Gaines, Mitchell, late round pick

Other Players: J. Wilson, Acker

FS - Parker, Murray
SS - Berry, Sorensen, late round pick

Other Players: Hall, V. Harris

K - Santos or UDFA
P - Colquitt or UDFA
LS - Winchester

Here's a short summary of projected picks (in brackets the number of available picks):

High picks (2): ILB, RB
Mid picks (5): OL, NT, OLB
Late picks (3): QB, WR, TE, CB, S

In free agency I don't see much activity due to the limited amount of cap available. Backup OL, veteran backup QB, backup DE is where I may see some activity.

However, there is one big unknown: the QB position. Lots of speculation on a Romo signing although the Chiefs repeatedly claimed Smith to be their 2017 starting QB (anyone noticed? They didn't mention 2018 and beyond or anything like long term ...). I think it's more likely they'll pick a QB to groom as a starter in the draft - and that probably would be round 1 or 2.

Overall I think the Chiefs are in a good position. Plenty of depth at most positions, starters or at least servicable startingoptions across the board. As critical positions to improve at starting level I only identified ILB and RB. And there you usually can find pretty good guys even in the 3rd or 4th round.

One titbit at the very end: I projected Derrick Johnson not to return. If he can come back as an impact player that would help a lot.

Hope you enjoyed the effort, I'll re-visit the cap situation closer a bit later.

Casa Estrellita - my retirement home
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrick Johnson not return???

He is under contract and they save nothing by cutting, so i'm not sure what you mean.

Your Denver hatred is borderline pathological. I don't think my girlfriend cheating on me would cause me as much hate as you have for Denver.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep ... no word as of now.

I still think he won't return ... as a player. Achilles at that age ... hard to overcome as an athlete, not as an average human being.

starbarkc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in total agreement on the qb position, especially thinking down the road. IIRC, Smith is easier to move next year and we aren't planning on having a high pick then, so this would be a good year to groom somebody with a high pick. RB can be had later.
2013 Adopt-A-Chief: #87 Travis Kelce, TE
Rec:0/Yards:0/TD's:0/Avg per:0
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im excited to see what Mitchell will become with Al Harris n Emmitt molding him. Id be very surprised to see Gaines in that starting role barring injury.

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, there is one big unknown: the QB position. Lots of speculation on a Romo signing although the Chiefs repeatedly claimed Smith to be their 2017 starting QB (anyone noticed? They didn't mention 2018 and beyond or anything like long term ...). I think it's more likely they'll pick a QB to groom as a starter in the draft - and that probably would be round 1 or 2.
There are no QB's in this draft that fulfill Bill Parcells requirements for drafting a successful NFL QB. Also throw in the 26-27-60 rule and this group of QB's is fairly miserable.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/1/28/1961801/quarterback-drafting-rules-26-27-60

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/1/30/1964744/quarterback-drafting-rules-the-parcells-principle

http://bearswire.usatoday.com/2017/02/22/applying-bill-parcells-qb-rules-to-the-bears-1st-round-options/
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricky Stanzi fit the parcells model. It honestly means nothing anymore. Game has changed too much

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Ricky Stanzi fit the parcells model. It honestly means nothing anymore. Game has changed too much
No guarantees here. Just means you increase your odds tremendously of getting a franchise QB.
valkrei

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:

Not only that but look at Tom Brady, or Joe Montanna. You just never know if a Qb will be a bust or not. Unless its Jking everyone knew that guy was a bust lol.

Props to Loto Tailback for the SIG!
Chiefs_5627

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG3 is about to get released according to Rappoport. Andy could rebuild him and make Chiefs_5627 a happy man. Shocked

If Dorsey is down on this years QBs i could see this as an option... Legitimately

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just not worth the expense to grab a QB when the Defense needs so much help. Grab 2 CB's and don't let anyone pass on us. The CB's available could really make us mean. Fix our ILB's, get a DT/NT and replace the Alex Smith situation next year.

Last edited by mayanfootball on Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
rjboxer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree. If a quarterback is there in any of the early rounds, including the first - you take him. Give him a year behind Alex to learn the system. This is the year to do it with the extra picks we have.
mayanfootball

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjboxer wrote:
I respectfully disagree. If a quarterback is there in any of the early rounds, including the first - you take him. Give him a year behind Alex to learn the system. This is the year to do it with the extra picks we have.
We do need to groom a QB. But don't waste a valuable DP on a QB without potential to be even a good (let alone GREAT) starter.
This QB class is a waste of a high DP. And 2 or 3 QB's may get picked before our pick at 27.
KC_Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the first rush of Free agency is trickling out it may be the time for a first review.

As expected the Chiefs were not big players in Free Agency. They did make a few moves though that may have a cascading effect towards the draft.

The signings:

C.J. Spiller provides another body at RB. I don't think he'll be the solution to mitigate Jamal Charles' departure. So a fairly high draft pick will still be an option.

Bennie Logan will replace Poe at the nose, keeping Jones at DE. There's no need to bring in more street free agents as of now, so Reyes and Jenkins have become an afterthought.

Marqueston Huff has been a deep reserve/ST player at Baltimore. He'll probably continue with that role, fighting with Murray about the #4 Safety spot.

Daniel Sorensen will return as the #3 Safety. With the depth they have there's no need to address the front guys, but adding to the back end is always a good thing.

Albert Wilson's return for me was a surprise. He'll probably will remain a role player unless pushed off the roster by some rookie. The situation here is similar to Safety, however, if an interesting guy falls I could see the Chiefs picking him up in the mid rounds.

Cairo Santos isn't my favorite, but for now he has the job. However, there are reports Chiefs are looking at the top Kicker in the draft.

Mike Person may cover the 3rd tier FA I projected for the OL: As the Chiefs (as of now) retained Jah Reid they may be set at OL until the draft. However, I'm pretty sure they'll throw one or two later picks at the unit, potentially targeting replacements for Reid and Fulton if not now then after the season.

Derrick Johnson agreed to a significant pay cut to remain with the team. However, at this point of his career he should be considered nothing more than a stop gap. So I continue to think that ILB will be addressed in the draft fairly early.

The cap situation:

The Chiefs still are in a bad crunch. The cap space they have now should suffice (according to my maths) to sign the drafted players (about 1.5 M$). But I don't think they are in a position to sign a mid-level back-up QB. With only Smith, Bray, and Stave on the roster I'm pretty sure they are looking at some reinforcement via the draft, most likely within the first three rounds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: