Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hitman 2.0 Pre Combine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Hitman 2.0 Pre Combine Reply with quote

So with the updated Comp pick being at the third round, let's see where I go with this mock.

Round One - - Hasaan Reddick OLB/ILB Temple 6'2 235

Looking at a possible replacement for Timmons who can blitz and cover and make Steelers LB'ers what they used to be!!!!

Round Two - - Cordrea Tankersley CB Clemson 6 200

Someone who is young and can press!!!

Round Three - - Derek Rivers OLB Youngstown State 6'4 250

Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush!!!!

Round Three (Comp) - - Rayshawn Jenkins FS/SS University of Miami

Our defense is getting great. A former teammate of Burns and a big athletic safety to pair with Davis for years to come.

Round Four - - Josh Reynolds WR Texas A & M 6'3 200

Insurance at WR. This is the type of guy the Steelers usually do well with picking and developing.

Round Five - - Jon Toth C Kentucky 6'5 305

We need someone who can back -up Pouncey as insurance.

Round Six - - Ejuan Price OLB Pitt 5'11 245

Part Debo and part Freeney when he develops. Sleeper pick!!!

Round Seven - - Jahad Thomas RB/KOR Temple

Scatback type who can help on KOR's
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never a fan of drafting an ILB in the first unless its a special talent. To be honest, I dont know alot about Reddick though.

Not a fan of drafting an ILB early at all, but if Timmons leaves, we may have to, because I dont trust Shazier to stay healthy and I dont think we will resign Shazier if gets injured again this year.

Ideally, we will resign Timmons cheap and then not have to worry about ILB until at least next year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, Reddick is Timmons with slightly less athletic talent. He is not an OLB in the Steeler system. He will also have issue on the pass rush ( much like Timmons) where he refuses to take on blockers and is stymied.

I would not mind Reddick but it depends on who is on the board at the pick.

I also think they can't go through this draft without a solid EDGE pick. Neither Rivers or Price are that. Both are projects.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Rivers will be a beast, mark my words

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Never a fan of drafting an ILB in the first unless its a special talent.

Ideally I would agree. I just think that Reddick can be good in our system.
He is not a true inside LB or a true OLB, but he has football instincts and just enough athleticism to be able to blitz inside and occasionally drop. I am somewhat thinking outside of the box as we are playing 60% - 65% Nickel on defense.

To be honest, I don't know a lot about Reddick though.

I have seen a few Temple games and he is an interesting prospect to me. He is tough and would ordinarily be a situation/role player, but because of how teams attack us and how we are now playing, his value increases to me. He has played DL, so he is used to taking on lineman and contact. I believe his best will come out being in space and able to read and flow at LB. Not usually a fan of projects, especially in the first round, but I think he has some potential and upside.

Not a fan of drafting an ILB early at all, but if Timmons leaves, we may have to, because I don't trust Shazier to stay healthy and I don't think we will resign Shazier if gets injured again this year.

I am just experimenting and looking at a few different scenarios. I am assuming that Timmons is not re-signed. As of now, I would like to see them move away from Timmons. They have Williams as insurance and Reddick provides more range and better overall athleticism at ILB. I agree about Shazier. He is a super athlete, but has been hurt every year. He has to stay healthy to earn investing another contract on him. All the more reason to get another young gun to get acclimated with our defense as insurance there as well.

Ideally, we will resign Timmons cheap and then not have to worry about ILB until at least next year

I disagree only that I am ready to move away from Timmons. I would rather see the team invest in a decent CB in free agency. Timmons will give some good and bad. I don't want to see another year of watching him drop in coverage. He does not offer much in the cross blitz anymore either. We play so much Nickel, it is just not not a good fit anymore in my opinion. I think that Reddick would be a pretty decent compliment to Shazier.

Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
IMHO, Reddick is Timmons with slightly less athletic talent.

I agree with your comparison.

He is not an OLB in the Steeler system. He will also have issue on the pass rush ( much like Timmons) where he refuses to take on blockers and is stymied.

I agree that he is not an OLB in the Steelers system, but because we play so much Nickel and variation of it, I believe he fits much better than he would if we were base 3-4. I think as a former DL, he will have no problem taking on blockers. He will have to learn so shedding techniques at LB, but I think he is strong and fast enough to be an effective inside/up the middle blitzer not so much on the outside.

I would not mind Reddick but it depends on who is on the board at the pick.

Agreed. I tried something different from my first mock, but I kept a few of the same players.

I also think they can't go through this draft without a solid EDGE pick. Neither Rivers or Price are that. Both are projects.

I agree with you that both Rivers and Price are projects, but I believe that Rivers can be effective as a rookie as a specialty edge rusher. Price will take more time to develop, but he does remind me of being part Debo and part Dwight Freeney. Price can be pretty good if he develops. I get it that we ideally need a great edge rusher, while this year is deep in overall talent, I don't necessarily see a lot of great/dominant Edge rushers. I think we want people who can be good in our system and develop. I think Rivers and Price are two who could be good for us.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Reddick to be in the Shazier mold and I don't think it's a good idea to have those two types playing ILB at the same time especially in a 3-4 scheme.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
I see Reddick to be in the Shazier mold and I don't think it's a good idea to have those two types playing ILB at the same time especially in a 3-4 scheme.

Normally I would agree with you 100% on this Chief. Both are more smallish types and typically you want a thumper next to them. I am kind of looking outside the box in this mock and looking at some things with our defense.

We really don't play much base 3-4 anymore. Even when we have some personnel (4 LB'ers) they play more variations. The thing about Reddick is he played DL in college and is used to some thumping despite his weight limitations. Now I am not suggesting that he take the thumper type of role, but rather that our base defense has changed based upon how teams attack the Steelers.

Speed and quickness will serve us better at LB than brute strength of the past. I still think we need some thickness at DL, but even Hargrove, Tuitt and Heyward have proven to be nimble and yet stout. McCullers, who is a load, has not done well in making a consistent impact on defense. I see value in getting faster in the middle of the defense and what an athletic type MLB like Reddick can add to our defense.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
Chieferific wrote:

Normally I would agree with you 100% on this Chief. Both are more smallish types and typically you want a thumper next to them. I am kind of looking outside the box in this mock and looking at some things with our defense.

We really don't play much base 3-4 anymore. Even when we have some personnel (4 LB'ers) they play more variations. The thing about Reddick is he played DL in college and is used to some thumping despite his weight limitations. Now I am not suggesting that he take the thumper type of role, but rather that our base defense has changed based upon how teams attack the Steelers.

Speed and quickness will serve us better at LB than brute strength of the past. I still think we need some thickness at DL, but even Hargrove, Tuitt and Heyward have proven to be nimble and yet stout. McCullers, who is a load, has not done well in making a consistent impact on defense. I see value in getting faster in the middle of the defense and what an athletic type MLB like Reddick can add to our defense.

I don't disagree with much of that but remember, if they aren't going to play the 3-4 that either Reddick or Shazier are going to have to be at OLB. That concerns me.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

I agree that he is not an OLB in the Steelers system, but because we play so much Nickel and variation of it, I believe he fits much better than he would if we were base 3-4. I think as a former DL, he will have no problem taking on blockers. He will have to learn so shedding techniques at LB, but I think he is strong and fast enough to be an effective inside/up the middle blitzer not so much on the outside.[/b]

Timmons has never learned shedding techniques. Timmons has better hands now to keep blockers away or he takes better angles. With Riddick, it is over if a lineman gets a hand on him.

If they sign Timmons, I would expect Riddick to fall down their draft boards.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: