Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tony Romo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Tony Romo Reply with quote

What would u Texans fans say if u could trade a 3rd round pick for Tony Romo and he would only cost u a cool $1 million against ur salary cap this year?

Doesnt get much better than that - a Super Bowl caliber QB with a great D and good OL and killer Skill Position Players on O.

Can u say Super Bowl window for 2-3 years.

What say u Texan Fans?

Peace
sodakcowboy78

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston could sign Romo to a contract for $1 million with incentives. The incentives would be something like $1 million per start. The incentives wouldnt count his year because they would be catagorized as "unlikely" to be earned vs "likely" because he started 0 games for Dallas last year

BAMM

That solves the Salary problem

Any Questions?

Peace
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the question is serious or not. Really only 3 options for Romo.

1) Cowboys keep a $24.7 million backup

2) Release him to save $5 million reduce his 2017 cap value from $24.7 million to $19.7 million (essentially rewarding his service to the franchise by allowing him to become a free agent and choose his next team).

3) Trade him and try to get middle round pick in return. New team assumes remaining 3 years on his deal (non-guaranteed). $14 million in 17, $19.5 in 18, $20.5 in 19.

Your scenario attempts to reward the Cowboys with a 3rd round draft pick while acting as if the next 3 years on his contract will just be thrown away for the new team allowing him to play for whatever he wants to. Either a player is a free agent or not. You can't just make $14 million disappear in a trade. Years 2 & 3 can go away if he doesn't work out or retires.

I don't see any team being willing to give up trade capital, pay him $14 million, AND take on the risk of a player who missed last season after a slight hit to the back while sliding. I can see some teams willing to take on Romo's upside, but only with a team friendly deal and a plausible backup plan if he gets hurt (i.e. Denver). I can see Romo being interested in KC, AZ, but not as sure if makes as much sense for them as it's inviting controversy in KC and AZ needs to groom a replacement for Palmer, not burn even more reps with a 37 year old backup. Texans fans are desperate for a QB, but for all O'Brien's QBs have lacked, for the most part, they took all the hits from our craptastic o-line and got up to take the next snap. I have zero interest in paying Romo $14 million to play QB for a few games then be back with Osweiler/Savage and no developmental QB. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd take my chances on Ossy improving with a 2nd year in the system vs. trusting Romo to stay healthy and still be available for a playoff run and if that doesn't work, at least having a 3rd stringer being groomed to take over in 2018.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Not sure if the question is serious or not. Really only 3 options for Romo.

1) Cowboys keep a $24.7 million backup

2) Release him to save $5 million reduce his 2017 cap value from $24.7 million to $19.7 million (essentially rewarding his service to the franchise by allowing him to become a free agent and choose his next team).

3) Trade him and try to get middle round pick in return. New team assumes remaining 3 years on his deal (non-guaranteed). $14 million in 17, $19.5 in 18, $20.5 in 19.

Your scenario attempts to reward the Cowboys with a 3rd round draft pick while acting as if the next 3 years on his contract will just be thrown away for the new team allowing him to play for whatever he wants to. Either a player is a free agent or not. You can't just make $14 million disappear in a trade. Years 2 & 3 can go away if he doesn't work out or retires.

I don't see any team being willing to give up trade capital, pay him $14 million, AND take on the risk of a player who missed last season after a slight hit to the back while sliding. I can see some teams willing to take on Romo's upside, but only with a team friendly deal and a plausible backup plan if he gets hurt (i.e. Denver). I can see Romo being interested in KC, AZ, but not as sure if makes as much sense for them as it's inviting controversy in KC and AZ needs to groom a replacement for Palmer, not burn even more reps with a 37 year old backup. Texans fans are desperate for a QB, but for all O'Brien's QBs have lacked, for the most part, they took all the hits from our craptastic o-line and got up to take the next snap. I have zero interest in paying Romo $14 million to play QB for a few games then be back with Osweiler/Savage and no developmental QB. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd take my chances on Ossy improving with a 2nd year in the system vs. trusting Romo to stay healthy and still be available for a playoff run and if that doesn't work, at least having a 3rd stringer being groomed to take over in 2018.

You could have all 3. Have Romo start and if he gets hurt you let Brock start, all while grooming a rookie in the background. You would have to add pieces to the oline regardless of what we do.

If Romo stays healthy we instantly become a legit contender. I see no down side if we hedge our bets by drafting another QB as well.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing everyone is missing, every QB that BOB has started has gone elsewhere and been better or was better elsewhere before coming. All of them. BOB sucks at developing QB play and makes his system too difficult for the QB.

BOB is the problem. Romo probably wouldn't be much better. There is a reason guys come in and play much better in relief than they do in starts, it's the system.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh I agree BOB is part of the problem but Romo would by far be the best QB he will have coached here. If he cant get the job done with Romo as QB then he seriously needs to go. TBH he is the most overrated HC in the league if we being honest. His record is 27-21 in one of the worst divisions in the league the past 3 seasons. Put him in another division and he probably would be under .500 for his career.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Eh I agree BOB is part of the problem but Romo would by far be the best QB he will have coached here. If he cant get the job done with Romo as QB then he seriously needs to go. TBH he is the most overrated HC in the league if we being honest. His record is 27-21 in one of the worst divisions in the league the past 3 seasons. Put him in another division and he probably would be under .500 for his career.

I think hes gone once his contract runs out. He is much better off in college

Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romo getting cut. I wonder what type of salary he's gonna get on the open market. There are very few teams with a legit contender and no QB. We should have free reign on him unless he's wanting to make another big paycheck.

mse326

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Romo getting cut. I wonder what type of salary he's gonna get on the open market. There are very few teams with a legit contender and no QB. We should have free reign on him unless he's wanting to make another big paycheck.

Likely between us and Denver.

It's going to come down to money this year (Denver advantage) v years (or advantage).

Denver can offer more because they are burdened by a contract like Brock's. We can go more years because we don't have a 1st round QB waiting in the wings.

#JDI
dsorc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

It's going to come down to money this year (Denver advantage) v years (or advantage).

Denver can offer more because they are burdened by a contract like Brock's. We can go more years because we don't have a 1st round QB waiting in the wings.

While I agree with you in theory, is Romo worth multiple years right now? His health still seems a question mark so I am not sure that even a full year of health is guaranteed. I would think that Romo is going to be getting mostly incentive-based offers based on the number of games he starts..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
mse326 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

While I agree with you in theory, is Romo worth multiple years right now? His health still seems a question mark so I am not sure that even a full year of health is guaranteed. I would think that Romo is going to be getting mostly incentive-based offers based on the number of games he starts..

I agree. It would require careful structuring so that it is either incentive laden or non guaranteed salary laden that we can easily get out of. But even say a 3 year contract is difficult to sell in Denver with Paxton Lynch there. Unless you are already admitting mistake you are saying a 1st round QB needs to sit for 4 years. Alternatively Romo would know that there is no realistic chance of him seeing that 3rd year. We can offer that.

#JDI
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you guys offered 2 fully guaranteed years no way Elway should match. That's the angle where you guys can sell Romo on staying in TEX.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:

I think hes gone once his contract runs out. He is much better off in college

I hope he thinks that too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Romo will soon be free to sign with any team...Houston has the better chance with Mrs Romo prego im sure Tony wouldnt want to stray too far from home w/2 young boys already at home. Houston has the MUCH better team as well - I think a better D and a MUCH better OL,WR, and RB crop. As a Dallas and Tony Romo fan I would like for him to stay in Texas and do well with Houston ( Denver already had their ride with Payton ) and I think Houston could figure out a contract that would make both sides happy - Tony is now in it for a ring - he has plenty of money just ask Jerry.

Peace
Longhorns90

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Here's the thing everyone is missing, every QB that BOB has started has gone elsewhere and been better or was better elsewhere before coming. All of them. BOB sucks at developing QB play and makes his system too difficult for the QB.

BOB is the problem. Romo probably wouldn't be much better. There is a reason guys come in and play much better in relief than they do in starts, it's the system.

Except the statistics say otherwise.

Fitzpatrick's best completion percentage, TD-Int ratio, yds/attempt, yds/completion, and passer rating all came under O'Brien.

Hoyer has similar improvement from before O'Brien to under O'Brien.

Yeah, Osweiler sucked and Mallett sucked, but that's probably a function of them being bad quarterbacks.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: