Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaylon Smith's nerve damage in leg not improving...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfan4real

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Jaylon Smith's nerve damage in leg not improving... Reply with quote

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_nerve_damage_in_jaylon_smiths_knee_not_improving/s1_127_23349439

Thoughts?
resilient

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a recent video of JS running a 4.5 etc. WTF????
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jaylon Smith's nerve damage in leg not improving... Reply with quote

dcfan4real wrote:
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/report_nerve_damage_in_jaylon_smiths_knee_not_improving/s1_127_23349439

Thoughts?

No thoughts at all. Ian Crapreport is wholly unreliable. He makes up stuff to keep his "clicks" up.

Think about it. He's talking about a guy who has never played a down in the NFL for what reason?...Because he knows that everyone who loves the Cowboys and everyone who hates the Cowboys will click on it to see how it will affect the team they either hate or love.

Nice strategy, but not worth much IMO.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaylon himself said in an interview that he could have played in the playoffs (this was back in Dec). He also said he has feeling in the foot now.

So it IS improving. What hasnt changed, I *think*, is that he still requires a brace.

Tony Romos Last pass was a TD against the EAGLES!
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Jaylon himself said in an interview that he could have played in the playoffs (this was back in Dec). He also said he has feeling in the foot now.

So it IS improving. What hasnt changed, I *think*, is that he still requires a brace.

I don't think we know if anything has changed at all/ or if it will change at all. I seriously doubt that Ian has really talked to anyone who knows anything. I think he based his "report" on Stephen saying Jaylon might have to wear a brace.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Talked to Jaylon Smith. Believes he could've played by now, being patient. Nerve regenerating. Brace not a factor anymore. Ran 4.5 other day Todd Archer (@toddarcher) January 5, 2017

Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:
Talked to Jaylon Smith. Believes he could've played by now, being patient. Nerve regenerating. Brace not a factor anymore. Ran 4.5 other day Todd Archer (@toddarcher) January 5, 2017

So...confused. Laughing

From what I'm gathering:

1) His nerve is regenerating, he is not wearing a brace and ran a 4.5

2) SJ made comments that they think he can contribute this year. However, he said he can't say for certain he'll be the dominant player he was at Notre Dame. Makes sense, we won't know for sure how well he's actually recovered until he's got pads on and playing real football.

3) Crapoport twisted SJ's statements and found a "source" to who says Jaylon's nerve hasn't regenerated.

^^^El Rammy
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:

So...confused. Laughing

From what I'm gathering:

2) SJ made comments that they think he can contribute this year. However, he said he can't say for certain he'll be the dominant player he was at Notre Dame. Makes sense, we won't know for sure how well he's actually recovered until he's got pads on and playing real football.

3) Crapoport twisted SJ's statements and found a "source" to who says Jaylon's nerve hasn't regenerated.

Kinda - that Quote from Archer was from ~2 months ago, I was just reminding you all. Here is Archer from today:

Quote:
I've been told the nerve is regenerating, not fully yet and it might never, but there is a sensation there now that was not last year.

ware94

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I've said before on this subject many times before, Jaylon Smith will have no ability to lift his foot ("drop foot") until the nerve "regenerates" completely. (I know this because I suffered the almost exact injury in high school, the only difference begin my nerve snapped in half whereas Jaylon's was only stretched.)

Here is a visual to better help people understand whats going on, and why you keep hearing that there is "no change":

In this, the "----" portion represents the working part of the nerve, while the "XXX" represents the dead part of the nerve:

Normal:
[Knee]---------------[Ankle]

Smith (2015):
[Knee]--XXXXXXX--[Ankle]

Think of the nerve as a cable sending data from the knee to the ankle. The deadened (X's) portion prevent the data from reaching the ankle.
Overtime, hopefully, the nerve has been regenerating from both ends toward the center.

Smith (2016, assuming regeneration):
[Knee]-----XXX-----[Ankle]

^This shows improvement, but guess what? The knee still cannot communicate with the ankle, therefore reports go out that there is no improvement because Smith still has "dropfoot".

So with that explanation, you can see that whether Smith's nerve looks like this....

[Knee]--XXXXXXX--[Ankle]

...or this...

[Knee]-------X-------[Ankle]

....he will still have "dropfoot".

Doctors have to stick two pins into the nerve, one where the computers showed signals of the nerve "firing" and the other into a portion that was not "firing" on the last evaluation. If the bottom pin shows the signal being received from the top pin, this represents regeneration and the bottom pin can be moved further down the nerve to gauge just how much regeneration has occurred since the last evaluation. Until the nerve looks like this:

[Knee]---------------[Ankle]

....Smith will suffer from "dropfoot".
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Quote:

So...confused. Laughing

From what I'm gathering:

Kinda - that Quote from Archer was from ~2 months ago, I was just reminding you all. Here is Archer from today:

Quote:
I've been told the nerve is regenerating, not fully yet and it might never, but there is a sensation there now that was not last year.

So...we may never get Jaylon at 100%...but even at 80%, I'd have to imagine we're still getting a damn good player.

^^^El Rammy
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:

So...we may never get Jaylon at 100%...but even at 80%, I'd have to imagine we're still getting a damn good player.

For poops and giggles, lets say Jaylon was a top 5 pick pre-injury. The 5th pick in the draft is worth 1700 points. 80% of that is 1360 - the 9th pick in the draft.

So lets look at it this way - if his preinjury value was 1700 and we got him at #34 worth 560, he only needs to be 1/3 of the player we thought he was going to be to be worth it.

Laughing
#Math

Tony7188

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned. Its been over a year since this injury. If Jaylon doesn't have the brace off by May I doubt he will be ready to participate in TC. We can't just throw a guy out there in TC whose couldn't go through OTAs and minicamp because of his drop foot.

NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:

For poops and giggles, lets say Jaylon was a top 5 pick pre-injury. The 5th pick in the draft is worth 1700 points. 80% of that is 1360 - the 9th pick in the draft.

So lets look at it this way - if his preinjury value was 1700 and we got him at #34 worth 560, he only needs to be 1/3 of the player we thought he was going to be to be worth it.

Laughing
#Math

This is why it was and never has been my favorite subject. Laughing

^^^El Rammy
acowboys62

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you saying the nerve is going to keep him from playing ever again have you seen the videos of him running and cutting?

I think the hope is that the nerve will start firing fully again, but clearly there was always a plan here. I have a feeling a lot of this was 1. he has to rehab the injury and 2. get used to running / cutting with a brace. Obviously the concept of a brace is not over complicated, but when you can't feel your foot there has to be a huge mental gap to jump before you start to feel comfortable and confident doing certain things.

It is just a start and its in the gym in gym clothes, but the videos of him running and cutting clearly show he is capable, just a matter of what happens with some gear on and against competition. Plenty of guys play with braces their whole career, Jaylon will just be the first to play with this particular brace. Even if the nerve regenerates (which can happen at any moment or never, not like a bone where it will continue to show signs of improvement) he may just keep the brace on as he becomes used to it.
the lone star

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have heard, he still plans on playing, and that's all that matters to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: