Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Y2 Pre-Free Agency/Pre-Combine Mock Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: A Y2 Pre-Free Agency/Pre-Combine Mock Offseason Reply with quote

Wanted to do one of these before I finalize my big board in the coming weeks just to see how my thoughts were affected by offseason stuff to which I don't normally subscribe. Mostly though: bored...and seeing if I could fix enough problems in one mock offseason that I tried to base in realistic possibilities, but something of a dream overall outcome:

Resign:

-HB, Shaun Draughn (because I never want to see Mike Davis run the ball again).

-WR, Jeremy Kerley (because other options are just bad).

-K, Phil Dawson (he's good).

-Let everyone else go. Ideally, I'd let everyone go other than Dawson- all of them (giant Baalke purge), but I didn't like the depth chart once I did that.

Free Agency:

-CB, Stephon Gilmore: I'm fine with ignoring the secondary this year, but Gilmore would allow Ward to definitely move back to the free-range safety spot, shifting Reid to the in-the-box role where he can thrive, and it would still allow us a trio of Gilmore/Robinson/Brock at the top of the CB depth chart (and solid depth with all our other corners fighting for 2-3 more spots).

-WR, Pierre Garcon: Familiar with the system, and had his most productive year under Shanahan (and coming off a good season last year).

-LEO, Jabaal Sheard: Not a ton of options for the position so I went here, but Sheard's still someone that can at least somewhat boost the pass rush.

-QB, Matt Schaub - Duh.

-FB, Patrick DiMarco - Because I realized after doing everything else that I forgot this was a thing again, and he seems obvious.

DRAFT:

1st (#2 - Pick Traded) to Carolina for picks #8 and #40 (2nd). They get their pick of anyone not named Garrett and are a team noted for going hard after BPA, even at the expense of draft picks. Plus, they're a team that hit bad luck in 2016 rather than a poorly-constructed team, and the trade value is far lower than what other teams have made for the same trade up.

1st (#8) - 49ers select Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama - Wanted to find someone to help solidify the linebacker spot, and while I would love to get Hightower, I'm not sure where his mind is at (money vs. winning) in order to attract him to the 49ers, so I stayed away. The trade back made Foster's selection more palatable. Really good player that helps solidify our linebacking crew.

2nd (#34) - 49ers select David Njoku, TE, Miami (FL) - In a deep draft at the position, a first round talent slides into the 2nd and gives the team an important offensive weapon in the system. Don't really care what happens to any previous TE on the roster.

2nd (#40 - Pick Traded) to absolutely anyone for a 2018 1st round pick. Because.

3rd (#66) - 49ers select Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia - I think he's just a notch below where I had Nick Martin last year. Really loved watching him play throughout the year and I think he will be a solid addition to anyone's line. Gives us someone to at least compete with Kilgore.

4th (#109) - 49ers select Jordan Morgan, G, Kutztown - I don't know if anyone paid attention to him in the Senior Bowl, but around my neck of the woods, Morgan has received all sorts of praise. I've gotten to see him play a few times - and he seems like a guy that would take the move to a zone guard well (I think he could make the Jahri Evans-type leap from Div II tackle to NFL guard).

4th (#143 pick traded) to the Jets for WR, Brandon Marshall. Somewhat between the Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson trades - a veteran wide receiver who can still play at a high level for a few years for the low cost of a now-able-to-be-traded compensatory 4th round pick.

5th (#146) - 49ers select Ryan Higgins, QB, Louisiana Tech. To be real, I had one QB on the roster and needed a 2nd, but with that said - Higgins has a lot of the skills Shanahan seems to covet (minus a proficient deep ball, but that's partially because it wasn't overly utilized at Tech). Apparently very intelligent and seems to read defenses very well. Most likely a career backup, but at least has the potential to develop without being someone to whom we'll be committed longterm.

5th (#161) - 49ers select Jamaal Williams, RB, BYU. I love this guy as a mid-to-late round RB pickup, and I think he would possess many of the skills needed for him to randomly turn into a 5th-round RB success at this point. Would have preferred to see him make more receptions out of the backfield, but he wasn't really utilized in that role. He's only available in the 5th due to deep talent at the position, not skills.

6th (#186) - 49ers select KD Cannon, WR, Baylor. Very productive, great speed. Needs work. Hence, the 6th round spot. Not even likely needed in year one given the other pickups, but a guy who can develop into a slot or a replacement for Torrey Smith as the deep threat possibly (would need to learn a full route tree regardless of position).

6th (#202) - 49ers select Chad Kelly, QB, Ole Miss. In my opinion, the most gifted QB in this class, but one that may never get his act together and coming off a major injury. But...after pick #200, there's no commitment to the guy. We get someone with a lot of talent for next to nothing. With a little too much Baalke influence, he spends the full year on IR, which is fine - because he won't be expected to play anyway in year 1.

7th (#219) - 49ers select Darius English, EDGE, South Carolina. Once again, a lot of Baalke influence coming through with the necessity to select a Gamecock. Dude is wiry, but he did have 9 sacks and was very active on the year. Would need to develop a LOT of strength to be an every down LEO, but as a backup 7th round pass-rusher, there's a lot to like.

Spring Post-Draft Trade:

-49ers send 2018 1st round pick (our own) and a 2018 3rd round pick to the Redskins for Kirk Cousins. Unable to come to any agreements before the draft, Redskins continue to play wait and see with Cousins but recognize that he's not going to be there longterm. 49ers, now with two first round picks and ammunition to be willing to offer a bit more give the Redskins a nice package that allows them to trade Cousins. And if you're not convinced this is possible, in this mock, they also drafted Deshone Kizer at #17 and shocked the world. So it happened whether you like it or not.

Most importantly, 49ers enter the season missing only a 3rd round pick, having acquired another first through adept maneuvering throughout the draft.

54-man Depth Chart (newcomers - that I added - bolded). I assume one person gets injured, because I didn't want to figure out who to cut. Chad Kelly doesn't count as he's on IR:

Offense:

QB - Kirk Cousins, Matt Schaub, Ryan Higgins, Chad Kelly (IR)

HB - Carlos Hyde, Jamaal Williams, Shaun Draughn

FB - Patrick DiMarco

WR - Brandon Marshall, Pierre Garcon, Torrey Smith, Jeremy Kerley, KD Cannon, Eric Rogers

TE - David Njoku, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek

T - Joe Staley, Trent Brown, John Theus

G - Zane Beadles, Josh Garnett, Jordan Morgan, Andrew Tiller

C - Daniel Kilgore, Tyler Orlosky

Defense:

DL - DeForest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Earl Mitchell, Quinton Dial, Mike Purcell, Ronald Blair III

Edge - Aaron Lynch, Jabaal Sheard,, Ahmad Brooks, Eli Harold, Darius English

LB - Navorro Bowman, Reuben Foster, Ray-Ray Armstrong, Carl Bradford

CB - Stephon Gilmore, Rashard Robinson, Tramaine Brock, K'Waun Williams, Will Redmond, Dontae Johnson, Marcus Cromartie

S - Jimmie Ward, Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Jaquiski Tartt

K - Phil Dawson

P - Bradley Pinion

LS - Kyle Nelson

My thoughts:

Cousins and Garcon both have chemistry and know the system. He'd have to build it with the others, but that will be true basically of anyone we bring in. But Cousins throwing to Marshall/Garcon/Smith/Njoku would undoubtedly better than what we've recently experienced. Throw in some better WR depth (Kerley brought back as the #4, a rookie, and hopefully the debut of Rogers), and that looks like a solid offense. Hyde/Williams makes for a combo I'd really love.

Defensively, couldn't really fix the edge rush, but it should be improved with Sheard. Definitely a year two focus. Linebackers should be in much better shape with the addition of Foster. The secondary fixed itself with the addition of Gilmore, but I'm not even sure that's all that needed. That was a luxury spend.

I'm sure there are other players and what not that will be added, but I went with just a few obvious FA choices (without going overboard). Year two would feature more of a rebuild on the offensive line, since I couldn't really find many ways to handle that. I would need longterm replacement for Staley and maybe one for Brown as well, but at least I got rid of Marcus Martin, and maybe found some starters on the interior. If not - oh well...can't solve every problem in one year.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of the 3-year rebuild plan:

Year 2 - Focus on Edge/OL/longterm WR solutions (since Marshall/Garcon are not that), Depth at many positions (HB, TE, LB, S).

Year 3 - Review years 1 and 2 - there will likely be WR, T, DT, LB needs based on age/contracts.

And even if the Cousins thing doesn't materialize, we'd still go into a much better 2018 draft class with 2 firsts and an ability to address that position. Given that the QBs in that scenario would be Schaub and late-round rookies, odds point to some pretty decent draft positions.

NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Y2. I really like all of it. That WR corps and CB group is damn impressive. If this happened and our OL was able to stay healthy for the most part and build some chemistry together I could see our offense being very good next year. Pass rush wouldn't be all that improved but as you said that would be a year 2 rebuild focus, although we don't really know if the EDGE/pass rusher depth will be as deep next year as it is this year so I'd like to capatilize on that a little. Same goes for the FS position and the depth that's available in this years class. I do realize it's impossible to address all team needs though in one offseason and overall the team is much improved. Really like the draft, other than the QBs, but every else I'm rather intrigued with in Foster, Njoku, Orlovsky, Williams, Cannon, and English.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Well done Y2. I really like all of it. That WR corps and CB group is damn impressive. If this happened and our OL was able to stay healthy for the most part and build some chemistry together I could see our offense being very good next year. Pass rush wouldn't be all that improved but as you said that would be a year 2 rebuild focus, although we don't really know if the EDGE/pass rusher depth will be as deep next year as it is this year so I'd like to capatilize on that a little. Same goes for the FS position and the depth that's available in this years class. I do realize it's impossible to address all team needs though in one offseason and overall the team is much improved. Really like the draft, other than the QBs, but every else I'm rather intrigued with in Foster, Njoku, Orlovsky, Williams, Cannon, and English.

To me, this was (and is) the key of year one. Shanahan is an offensive coach, so let's go heavy on offense to build an offense that can clearly move the ball at will. Develop chemistry where needed, and see if the offense can be very successful first. A much more successful offense, and a healthy defense (with three key additions in Foster/Gilmore/Sheard) might be enough to make a pretty dramatic improvement in year one that could leave the team in the hunt for a playoff spot (8-8 seems realistic at the very least, but this is obviously an idealized mock). Year two lends more focus to fixing defensive problems, and year 3 is "What still isn't working, and how do we fix it so we're competing for real this year?"

48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the trades, I think they're very creative although I wouldn't expect us to be that active with a first time GM and HC running the team.

On the FA signings:

I like the Gilmore move I think he's one of the better DB's available right now. Garcon is also a smart addition, he's not been too dependant on athleticism so I think he will continue to be productive in his early 30's. Overall on here I think there's a little too much favoritism to Shanahan's guys hes been with in the past in general but the ones you mentioned have produced so they make sense.

On the Draft:
Foster is a clear win, but I'm a little unsure about Njoku at #34. I think he could be a solid player but also could have minimal impact. That early in the draft there are seriously talented players available that are in a bigger position of need for us plus this is a very deep TE class if you see that as a need now. I like the Oline being addressed there both with potential to compete for a starting spot. Higgins I've never heard of but we like drafting guys from LaTech so why not. Jamaal Williams is good value there in the 5th although I'm not the biggest fan. Chad Kelly I want nothing to do with, and I dont think he's very gifted either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this and would be thrilled with it.

On the nit-picky side - although it does involve your first pick, I think I would get a FA ILB in hope of getting Solomon Thomas at 8. If that didn't work out I'd be happy enough to take Williams or Davis there and know we had a good young receiver for several years to come. The only other thing is that while I like Orlovsky, I'm not sure he's clearly better, or even better than, Pocic, Elfein or Toth. At least one of those guys will be there in the 4th. I'd pass on the G, take a C in the 4th and use that 3rd rounder on a LB - either inside or edge.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of one more thing. I would definitely be happy trading 40 for a 2018 first. But I think that's not a likely trade so I thought about it and realized the way you've worked your FA and draft you give me a chance to do something I would really love to do.

I've been wanting Ngoku at 34. The highlights I watched of him show enormous potential. But I also like Curtis Samuel a lot. No one talks about him as a receiver but I actually think he could turn out to be one of the better receivers coming out of this class. On that basis alone I think he's a good pick at 40. But man would Shanahan ever love a guy like him! And make better use of him than most any other coach. Let him line up in the backfield 10 times a game, take 5 handoffs and motion out wide 5 times, plus use him in the slot either over the middle or running deep patterns. Love his potential! Him and Ngoku together with the WRs you've added and Cousins at QB- right there our offense could be close to great.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big - a few thoughts on your replies:

-Totally agree with the preference of ILB in FA. But the only one I see as a viable fix would be Hightower, and as I noted in the mock, I wasn't sure if he would be okay going to a bottom-feeding team only for money, having just had success and glory with a much better franchise. With that, I assumed we'd go after him but that he'd reject us, which led me to Foster. So, definitely on the same page, I just assumed (for the purpose of this mock) that it was not an option.

-Solomon Thomas at 8 - Also my preference over Foster, but I assume Solomon goes top 5, so trading back eliminated him from my choices. Williams or Davis? Also fine choices. But with as much as I invested in offense, I thought it would be good to give the defense at least one major front 7 boost, and Foster worked best for me. But, I don't dislike any of your choices either. I'd pick Thomas over Foster, if available.

-On the other hand, Curtis Samuel at #40 (or as a second rounder, in general) would make me very unhappy, similar to the way Braxton Miller last year would have made me very unhappy (so early). He's a guy without a position who doesn't excel at anything. He's just good at a variety of things, but none of them needed NFL skills. He's not a route runner, which limits his potential success as a WR, and he's not patient, which means he'll end up getting stonewalled on many runs. He seems like a far inferior Percy Harvin. I would rather let another team deal with that, and pick up actual weapons around that spot that would be available. But I think the third round has some more quality talents in that regard.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a separate ridiculous take on an offseason based on a brand new scheme I'm inventing:

Resign:

-Phil Dawson

Free Agency:

-Stephon Gilmore, CB
-Jabaal Sheard, EDGE
-Kevin Zeitler, G
-T.J. Lang, G
-Riley Reiff, T
-Larry Warford, G

Draft:

1 (#2) - Leonard Fournette, RB
2 (#34) - Garett Bolles, OT
3 (#66) - Raekwon McMillan, LB
4 (#109) - Jordan Morgan, G
4 (#143) - Carl Lawson, EDGE
5 (#146) - Jon Toth, C
5 (#161) - Jamaal Williams, RB
6 (#186) - Jeremy Clark, CB
6 (#202) - Jordan Sterns, FS
7 (#219) - Darius English, EDGE

---

So, I thought to myself - what happens if we don't pick up a QB at all? Would that guarantee us the #1 pick in a stacked 2018 QB class? Either we sign Cousins in 2018 and trade the #1 pick for a boatload of picks, or we take the top QB. Solves that problem.

But then I thought - without a QB, there would be a lot of running the ball. When teams go big with extra linemen and tight ends, defenses follow suit with big defensive linemen...but if we built a team to ONLY feature a running game, there is no defense for it.

So Joe Staley, Zane Beadles, Kevin Zeitler, TJ Lang, Josh Garnett, Daniel Kilgore, Larry Warford, Trent Brown, Garett Bolles, and Riley Reiff would all be starters, and the ball would be directly snapped to either Carlos Hyde or Leonard Fournette. This is all legal so long as not too many players line up directly on the line of scrimmage.

But how could a defense compete with that? What's the most defensive linemen a team carries - 8? But some of them are legitimately there for depth purposes only...so we force second stringers to come onto the field to face an incredible group of offensive linemen...and because that's how we're built, we have depth for linemen that might need a break, which is something the other team wouldn't be able to accomplish. Otherwise, they can try and substitute linebackers and defensive backs, but that would give our offensive line a distinct advantage.

The only way to combat this would be to carry a defensive line-heavy roster, but what team would ACTUALLY do that, knowing that the other 14 or 15 teams they would play on the season would all feature a normal offense?

I think this is a juggernaut in the making. And we'd never have to pay for a QB contract.

Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

I loved every single bit of this, y2. Seriously. This would make me a VERY happy camper.
A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause. Draftday1:Garrett/Thomas,tradedown:McCaffrey,Cunningham,Watt 2-Bolles,Engram,Kupp,Mixon,Westbrook 3-Switzer,Godwin,Perine,Jordan Evans
big9erfan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Big - a few thoughts on your replies:

-Totally agree with the preference of ILB in FA. But the only one I see as a viable fix would be Hightower, and as I noted in the mock, I wasn't sure if he would be okay going to a bottom-feeding team only for money, having just had success and glory with a much better franchise. With that, I assumed we'd go after him but that he'd reject us, which led me to Foster. So, definitely on the same page, I just assumed (for the purpose of this mock) that it was not an option.

-Solomon Thomas at 8 - Also my preference over Foster, but I assume Solomon goes top 5, so trading back eliminated him from my choices. Williams or Davis? Also fine choices. But with as much as I invested in offense, I thought it would be good to give the defense at least one major front 7 boost, and Foster worked best for me. But, I don't dislike any of your choices either. I'd pick Thomas over Foster, if available.

-On the other hand, Curtis Samuel at #40 (or as a second rounder, in general) would make me very unhappy, similar to the way Braxton Miller last year would have made me very unhappy (so early). He's a guy without a position who doesn't excel at anything. He's just good at a variety of things, but none of them needed NFL skills. He's not a route runner, which limits his potential success as a WR, and he's not patient, which means he'll end up getting stonewalled on many runs. He seems like a far inferior Percy Harvin. I would rather let another team deal with that, and pick up actual weapons around that spot that would be available. But I think the third round has some more quality talents in that regard.

Perhaps you remembered that I liked Miller last year? I'm still holding out hopes for that to work out. It took Pryor a few years but he's there now. Maybe Miller goes the same path.

I do like Samuel for the same reasons - except I think he is a proven commodity, not just someone changing positions with some potential. I honestly beliieve he's going to become one of the better receivers from this class. It looks to me like he is a pretty good route runner. He's got a nice size to speed ratio (pending his combine time - but he plays fast). His YAC potential is really good. Finally, as a full time RB I agree completely with what youi're saying. But even as I was watching the last couple of Falcons playoffs games thinking we would be getting Shanahan I kept thinking how he could do what the Atlanta backs do - only better. A smart QB looking over the defense and audibling him out of the backfield against certain coverages would make him a huge weapon. Take the WRs you put on the team this year, add a really good young one next year, then couple that with a TE like Ngoku and a receiver with RB capabilities like Samuel and we're a really tough offense to defend ... assuming we have our QB of course.

On the other hand there might be an opportunity to take a edge guy at 40. Reddick could fall that far. Watt might well still be there. It's even possible that one of the "good" ones that people thinking would go in the first falls that far. Would you consider Engram at 40 and an edge guy at 34 if one of the good ones is still there? Who would you take at 40 if you couldn't work out the trade?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, great stuff y2 Applause Applause

I'm not going to comment on the entire draft just yet since I haven't watched all that many prospects, but REALLY like Foster and Njoku. Unfortunately, doesn't look like the latter will make it to the 2nd round.

I don't have a problem going after Cousins, but just wouldn't bet on it. Lets just wait until 2018 without giving up a pick.

Trading down from #2 to #8 would be ideal.

I'm iffy on Gilmore. REALLY liked him a few years ago, but I watched a lot of Bills game this past season (McCoy on my fantasy team), and he was so inconsistent. Got beat quite a bit but in 2015 was pretty damn good. Don't hate it, just don't love it either since I don't know which version of Gilmore I will be getting.

The rest of the FAs are solid. Schaub is okay since it will be for back up purposes.

I will be kind of disappointed if we don't end up with either Jeffery or Zeitler in free agency.

El ramster on the sig
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Perhaps you remembered that I liked Miller last year? I'm still holding out hopes for that to work out. It took Pryor a few years but he's there now. Maybe Miller goes the same path.

Yep - that was why I noted it, as I was similarly very against Miller. You might be right in regards to him taking a few years like Pryor, but that's why I didn't want him last year. We need WR help badly in an immediate sense. This is also somewhat why I don't like Samuel. I'll agree he's more proven, but I don't think he's special in anything other than his ability to do a lot of things. That kind of player I see as a mid-round pick as a utility guy, not an early 2nd. But we can agree to disagree on that player. If Shanahan wanted him, I'd feel okay with it. I'll say that.

Quote:
On the other hand there might be an opportunity to take a edge guy at 40. Reddick could fall that far. Watt might well still be there. It's even possible that one of the "good" ones that people thinking would go in the first falls that far. Would you consider Engram at 40 and an edge guy at 34 if one of the good ones is still there? Who would you take at 40 if you couldn't work out the trade?

I would be okay with Engram at 40. That's close to where I have him right now, but I consider the difference from Njoku to him to be sizable, personally. But maybe TJ Watt and him together would make for a nice combo I could be happy with. Maybe even Cooper Kupp and Watt, depending on if both would be available.

y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
As usual, great stuff y2 Applause Applause

I'm not going to comment on the entire draft just yet since I haven't watched all that many prospects, but REALLY like Foster and Njoku. Unfortunately, doesn't look like the latter will make it to the 2nd round.

I don't have a problem going after Cousins, but just wouldn't bet on it. Lets just wait until 2018 without giving up a pick.

Trading down from #2 to #8 would be ideal.

I'm iffy on Gilmore. REALLY liked him a few years ago, but I watched a lot of Bills game this past season (McCoy on my fantasy team), and he was so inconsistent. Got beat quite a bit but in 2015 was pretty damn good. Don't hate it, just don't love it either since I don't know which version of Gilmore I will be getting.

The rest of the FAs are solid. Schaub is okay since it will be for back up purposes.

I will be kind of disappointed if we don't end up with either Jeffery or Zeitler in free agency.

Just some notes:

-I went off the recent Walter Football mock for relative availability of prospects. Njoku was like pick #35. Combine might solidify him as a first round pick, but I figured - if that mock had him available, I'll take it.

-I hear you on Cousins. But I'd be afraid of losing out on him altogether by waiting. Maybe he decides we didn't want him enough and resigns with the Redskins, or opens up to other offers...there's a lot of variables. And because I manipulated things to get an extra first anyway, it amounted to acquiring Cousins for a 3rd and dropping to #8 in the first round this year, and I thought that was fantastic value for him.

-Jeffery/Hightower/Zeitler are my 3 favorite free agents (in that order). I had all of them reject my offers (in my head). Jeffery because we'd have no QB set in this scenario, Hightower because I'm not sure where he's at in money vs. prestige, and Zeitler because of the same. That's why I then went to Gilmore as a free agent "win" to showcase that the team was serious about improving and utilizing free agency to do so. Not because I didn't want those other players, but because I try and stay within a realm of realism when I do these things. I could have very easily went Cousins/Jeffery/Hightower/Solomon Thomas (or, I guess even just go with the Browns passing on Myles Garrett), but it wouldn't be as fun. This way, I got to look at possibilities for improving the team in the case that Plan A goes awry.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: