Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL Combine Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamal Adams would give us a real leader on defense.

Hooker to me has more flash, but as a one year starter I cannot see him being the guy who runs the secondary.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something worth noting:

Pace is a little predictable in rounds 2-7. Just by reading scouting reports, it's possible to get a feel for who skews towards. Key traits: high character, hard worker, intelligent, tough, versatile. Whitehair, Bullard, and Hall all fit that mold last year.

The exception has been the first round. Here, it seems Pace likes rare traits coupled athleticism and upside. Last draft, I was ready to bet the farm that Shaq Lawson would be the pick at #11. Lawson profiled similarly to Pace's round 2-7 picks. We know how this turned out.

That being said, as much as Jamal Adams has great intangibles and leadership traits, I have to wonder if Malik Hooker's rare ability to cover sideline to sideline and play the ball has him higher on the board at Halas Hall.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

Pace is a little predictable in rounds 2-7. Just by reading scouting reports, it's possible to get a feel for who skews towards. Key traits: high character, hard worker, intelligent, tough, versatile. Whitehair, Bullard, and Hall all fit that mold last year.

The exception has been the first round. Here, it seems Pace likes rare traits coupled athleticism and upside. Last draft, I was ready to bet the farm that Shaq Lawson would be the pick at #11. Lawson profiled similarly to Pace's round 2-7 picks. We know how this turned out.

That being said, as much as Jamal Adams has great intangibles and leadership traits, I have to wonder if Malik Hooker's rare ability to cover sideline to sideline and play the ball has him higher on the board at Halas Hall.

If we're talking pure athleticism, Solomon Thomas might just be the favorite to be the 3rd pick- if they truly sign Glennon.

I would agree that Hooker is high on his list, too.
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

If we're talking pure athleticism, Solomon Thomas might just be the favorite to be the 3rd pick- if they truly sign Glennon.

Love Thomas but where do you put him? Too small for 5T and I'd hate to only use him 65 or 70% of the time in nickel.

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

Love Thomas but where do you put him? Too small for 5T and I'd hate to only use him 65 or 70% of the time in nickel.

Base he plays OLB

Nickel he rushes from strong side end and 3 technique

Pernell McPhee is not a long term answer at OLB, he needs to play way less snaps and does not have Thomas' upside.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd and long

DE: Floyd
NT: McPhee, did this in Baltimore
DT: Thomas
DE: Young

We may actually kill Aaron Rodgers.
squire12

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
G08 wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

Base he plays OLB

Nickel he rushes from strong side end and 3 technique

Pernell McPhee is not a long term answer at OLB, he needs to play way less snaps and does not have Thomas' upside.

You let Thomas grow into the best role for him long term. He is 21, still time for him to fully mature into his frame. He might be able to add some more mass and play full time DE, he also might be best dropping a few pounds and being a full time OLB. He has the movement ability based on his 3-cone and short shuttle combine. Waldo pass rusher formula places him as a low risk edge rusher (if you are into that sort of analytics).
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
bearsfan323 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

Justin Smith role for Fangio. 5-tech in base, 3 in sub.
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... look at this:

Solomon Thomas
6'3"
273 lbs
33" arms
4.69 dash
30 reps
35" vert
126" broad
6.95 cone
4.28 shuttle

Myles Garrett
6'4"
272 lbs
35.25" arms
4.64 dash
33 reps
41" vert
128" broad

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Huh... look at this:

Solomon Thomas
6'3"
273 lbs
33" arms
4.69 dash
30 reps
35" vert
126" broad
6.95 cone
4.28 shuttle

Myles Garrett
6'4"
272 lbs
35.25" arms
4.64 dash
33 reps
41" vert
128" broad

The numbers show that Garrett is far and away more athletic.
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Huh... look at this:

Solomon Thomas
6'3"
273 lbs
33" arms
4.69 dash
30 reps
35" vert
126" broad
6.95 cone
4.28 shuttle

Myles Garrett
6'4"
272 lbs
35.25" arms
4.64 dash
33 reps
41" vert
128" broad

The numbers show that Garrett is far and away more athletic.

I would call them pretty freaking comparable man... he can take the 6" on the vertical. I didn't realize how similar these two dudes are athletically.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Jamal Adams would give us a real leader on defense.

Hooker to me has more flash, but as a one year starter I cannot see him being the guy who runs the secondary.

Leadership is extremely important but it's not as important as raw talent and upside...Hooker gives you a true centerfielder which is something very few teams in the entire NFL have.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Huh... look at this:

Solomon Thomas
6'3"
273 lbs
33" arms
4.69 dash
30 reps
35" vert
126" broad
6.95 cone
4.28 shuttle

Myles Garrett
6'4"
272 lbs
35.25" arms
4.64 dash
33 reps
41" vert
128" broad

Yep, both are freak athletes. I feel like either could be a 5T or OLB. CornWash put on about 20 pounds to stay on the DL and did it pretty cleanly, these guys are going to be able to add 10 pounds if they want without losing athleticism and play 5T or they can remain the same size and still be a pass rushing OLB. Both just became legally able to purchase alcohol in December, they are still able to grow/develop more.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Something worth noting:

This is a good post. Obviously we still have a small sample size to consider but it very well could be a legit trend. You would undoubtedly see some outliers from time to time but it's clearly something to watch.
gah112

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW Justin Smith was around 270lbs coming out of college and he's been highly successful as a 5T.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: