Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brown signs $68 million ext
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcm412

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Brown signs $68 million ext Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18783479/pittsburgh-steelers-make-antonio-brown-highest-paid-wr-nfl

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers and Antonio Brown have reached agreement on a four-year, $68 million deal that makes him the highest-paid wide receiver in the NFL, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new $$$ on the 2017 cap hit?
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

Don't know. I think I read $17mil a year for the first 4 years. He was slated for a $14mil hit, so I would expect it's overall impact on the 2017 cap number to be $3 million. That's a win.

Overall I really really like this deal. Basically a 2 year extension with more money up front and two option years.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

Don't know. I think I read $17mil a year for the first 4 years. He was slated for a $14mil hit, so I would expect it's overall impact on the 2017 cap number to be $3 million. That's a win.

Overall I really really like this deal. Basically a 2 year extension with more money up front and two option years.

I'm seeing 5 yrs $72mill so I'm
thinking they have him an extra $4mill this year?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
warfelg wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I'm seeing 5 yrs $72mill so I'm
thinking they have him an extra $4mill this year?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's 4-$68mi, the extra year and $4mill is adding in this year.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best in the game deserves to be paid like one.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
TheGame316

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
The best in the game deserves to be paid like one.

Best garbage time stat collector in league history!
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
KofQ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously a deal that had to get done. AB is a top 2 WR in the league...I'm torn on giving a WR that kind of money however. He and Le'Veon are going to eat up a ton of cap space the next 3 to 4 years. That's the price you pay for having the top players at their respective positions I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap hit for 2017 stayed the same...they should have about $25-$28 mill in cap room still while being able to add another $7 mill if they cut Moats/Harris/Gay.

They should have room for a mid tier FA.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Cap hit for 2017 stayed the same...they should have about $25-$28 mill in cap room still while being able to add another $7 mill if they cut Moats/Harris/Gay.

IMO, they really need to consider making Mitchell a post June 1st cut. IMO, he is a backup caliber player at this point making over $8m. Making him a post June 1st cut frees up $5m this season. Davis and Golden as the starter, draft one, and perhaps keep Gay around and move him to safety. If we were to dip into FA, maybe look at Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I'll try to find the link, but I thought I read the cap hit is less with the extension.
OC_Steeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

IMO, they really need to consider making Mitchell a post June 1st cut. IMO, he is a backup caliber player at this point making over $8m. Making him a post June 1st cut frees up $5m this season. Davis and Golden as the starter, draft one, and perhaps keep Gay around and move him to safety. If we were to dip into FA, maybe look at Tony Jefferson or DJ Swearinger.

Really? DJ Swearinger? I get that Mitchell isn't the most beloved player on our D, but he is definitely a better option than Swearinger and Golden, based on the limited snaps he's seen (NE game Embarassed ). Mitchell is the 24th highest paid safety by Avg/Year standards, which to me is pretty fair given the current state of safety play in the league. The 8 million cap hit is because of multiple restructures that he has no control of, if anything, thats the FO's fault. Who wouldn't take more money up front if asked? Jefferson will definitely price himself out of our range as he'll be the top safety to hit the market once FA rolls around.

To sum it up, I wouldn't mind drafting Mitchell's replacement this year in the draft, but cutting him as a post-June 1st cut doesn't seem like the best idea because we aren't in dire need of money, and can cut other players who were less of a factor down the stretch than Mitchell, our safety depth would be trash, and we'd be one injury away from a rookie being paired with either Golden or Davis. IMO, Mitchell is a bit better than some give credit for, his consistant chirping rubs people the wrong way, but he provides a physical presence in the middle of the field and some surprising range which help save Artie more than a few times, without Mitchell in the 2nd Ravens game we probably lose, he helped save a TD after Burns got burned.
jcm412

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OC_Steeler wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

Really? DJ Swearinger? I get that Mitchell isn't the most beloved player on our D, but he is definitely a better option than Swearinger and Golden, based on the limited snaps he's seen (NE game Embarassed ). Mitchell is the 24th highest paid safety by Avg/Year standards, which to me is pretty fair given the current state of safety play in the league. The 8 million cap hit is because of multiple restructures that he has no control of, if anything, thats the FO's fault. Who wouldn't take more money up front if asked? Jefferson will definitely price himself out of our range as he'll be the top safety to hit the market once FA rolls around.

To sum it up, I wouldn't mind drafting Mitchell's replacement this year in the draft, but cutting him as a post-June 1st cut doesn't seem like the best idea because we aren't in dire need of money, and can cut other players who were less of a factor down the stretch than Mitchell, our safety depth would be trash, and we'd be one injury away from a rookie being paired with either Golden or Davis. IMO, Mitchell is a bit better than some give credit for, his consistant chirping rubs people the wrong way, but he provides a physical presence in the middle of the field and some surprising range which help save Artie more than a few times, without Mitchell in the 2nd Ravens game we probably lose, he helped save a TD after Burns got burned.

I think Mitchell is only marginally better than Golden. I think we can find a much better coverage safety. Mitchell's value was always the enforcer roll. I don't think we need that in today's NFL. I think you need to look at it as what could we do with the cap money we save.
OC_Steeler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
OC_Steeler wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:

I think Mitchell is only marginally better than Golden. I think we can find a much better coverage safety. Mitchell's value was always the enforcer roll. I don't think we need that in today's NFL. I think you need to look at it as what could we do with the cap money we save.

We won't get the 5 million until after June 1st, and at least some will have to go to an FA, unless we roll with Davis, Golden, and a rookie. Nothing I am going to say will change your opinion of Mitchell, but I really disagree with saying Mitchell is only marginally better than Golden. Golden was absolutely clueless in zone against New England, he was covering the air instead of guarding Hogan who was literally the only guy in his area. That level of coverage and awareness + no physicality isn't the answer, and I love Golden he's a great core ST'er for us, but that's about all he is and the contract he signed last year seems to indicate that as well.

By no means do I think Mitchell is a savior, but cutting ties with him this offseason would be a year too early IMO. I'd rather have a plan already in place than to just cut him and create another hole in our secondary. Regardless, Mitchell seems to be a Tomlin guy and was part of a small group who came in at 4 or 5 am to watch extra tape. So most likely, we will see Mitchell suiting up for at least one more year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: