Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trumaine Johnson
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Trumaine Johnson Reply with quote

@AdamSchefter wrote:
Other players expected to be tagged by Wednesday deadline include Kirk Cousins, Le'Veon Bell, Kawann Short, Melvin Ingram, Trumaine Johnson.

By any means necessary
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's keep in mind that just because we tag him doesn't mean he will necessarily have to pay him the one year $14mil or whatever it is. It can simply act as a place holder until we work out a long term deal or be used as a trade tool( very unlikely).
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleh. We better work out a much cheaper long-term deal. I don't like this.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Bleh. We better work out a much cheaper long-term deal. I don't like this.

Its an interesting situation. Im sure neither party like this. The Rams & Johnson must know how thin they are at corner so this is the result. I imagine they will both work towards a long term deal.

I dont love the dollar amount either, but I respect that they are willing to do what it takes. I anticipate Trumaine will do very well in the new scheme and everyone will feel a little better about this decision.

1. Corey Davis, WR, WMU
2. Forrest Lamp, G/C, WKU
3. Evan Engram, TE, Ole Miss
4. JuJu Smith-Schuster, WR, USC
BStanRamFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as the price tag hurts to see and will eat nearly half our cap space, I'd rather have him on the roster then go with a rookie as a #1 or a mid-tier free agent (Morris Claiborne?) as our #1. We need a #1 corner to be successful in Wade's defense with the pressure he creates and man defense.
Car_Ramrod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully we can sign him to a long term deal before the July deadline.

2016 Adopt a Ram, Mark Barron OLB

TKL:108 FF:1 INT:2 SCK:1 TFL:5

"That's some 7-9 BS."
iRaMs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isn't worth that much.

El ramster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are we so bad? 2 years in a row.. He's not worth close to 16..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:

I will admit. I am no expert on how all these numbers work, but it seems we could get 2 solid corners at $16 Mil for the price of 1 mediocre Tru Johnson (going off last years performance) CB.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every fa on our team is looking at tavon austins terrible contract sideways.
ctp2124

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
El ramster wrote:

I will admit. I am no expert on how all these numbers work, but it seems we could get 2 solid corners at $16 Mil for the price of 1 mediocre Tru Johnson (going off last years performance) CB.

Que? $16M is an overpay but Tru is probably in the 10-15 range for CBs in the league. His only knock seems to be missing a few games a year for injury. If we can sign him long-term to $12M a year I think we got a good and fair deal.

Props to mike23md

YAWK YAWK YAWK YaWK
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
El ramster wrote:

Que? $16M is an overpay but Tru is probably in the 10-15 range for CBs in the league. His only knock seems to be missing a few games a year for injury. If we can sign him long-term to $12M a year I think we got a good and fair deal.

I just read an article that both Chris Harris and Aqib Talib's contracts combined are about that ($19M). It's just hard to digest when both those players are hands down better than Tru. I wouldn't even put Tru in the top 10 or 15 to be honest...he's a mid tier guy, not elite status by any means. $12 Million a year is too much, IMO as well. Now we are overpaying Tavon and Trumaine...add Brockers to that list as well...more 7-9 BS if you ask me. I bet that accounts for around 25% of our cap space alone!! I say get rid of them all and start over.

Last edited by RamPackFan on Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctp2124 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
El ramster wrote:

I'd also challenge the likelihood that we could get 2 solid corners from a combined $16m AAV; not in the modern NFL where we're competing against 31 other teams for those players and those 31 other teams are also trying to be at least 3-deep with starting quality corners due to how style of play has evolved.

Us overpaying Tru in this instance isn't that different from the Redskins overpaying Cousins. Or, as one fantastic tweet summed it up, it's like paying $11 for a beer at the airport, you don't like having to do it, but you don't have a ton of other alternative. We weren't going to go into the draft, or even free agency with EJ Gaines and Troy Hill as our starters.

Moreover, the FO made - in hindsight we could certainly argue the wrong one - the decision to let Janoris walk and keep Tru, and you'd better believe that that (and how Janoris has performed since leaving) is tied to the evaluation of the set of moves as a whole. If two years down the line Janoris is balling in NY and Tru isn't even on the roster, that's going to be a GIGANTIC red mark on Snead's (and arguably Demoff's) record.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
LARams91

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RamPackFan wrote:
ctp2124 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
El ramster wrote:

I just read an article that both Chris Harris and Aqib Talib's contracts combined are less than $16 Mil. It's just hard to digest when both those players are hands down better than Tru. I wouldn't even put Tru in the top 10 or 15 to be honest...he's a mid tier guy, not elite status by any means. $12 Million a year is too much, IMO as well.

Well that article is wrong. Talib is 12 Mil against the cap and Harris is 9.36 Mil against the cap for 2017.

Also, both their contracts were inked before the free agency bubble blew as big as it has. Not to mention, Tru will be worked into a long-term deal. I would find it very unlikely he signs this tag.
RamPackFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LARams91 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
ctp2124 wrote:
RamPackFan wrote:
El ramster wrote:

I just read an article that both Chris Harris and Aqib Talib's contracts combined are less than $16 Mil. It's just hard to digest when both those players are hands down better than Tru. I wouldn't even put Tru in the top 10 or 15 to be honest...he's a mid tier guy, not elite status by any means. $12 Million a year is too much, IMO as well.

Well that article is wrong. Talib is 12 Mil against the cap and Harris is 9.36 Mil against the cap for 2017.

Also, both their contracts were inked before the free agency bubble blew as big as it has. Not to mention, Tru will be worked into a long-term deal. I would find it very unlikely he signs this tag.

I corrected it! ^ $19 million ( $3 million more )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: