Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers hire former 49ers scout Matt Malaspina
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Packers hire former 49ers scout Matt Malaspina Reply with quote

Didn't see a topic on this up yet. Packers hired Matt Malaspina from the 49ers.

Below is his experience
1999: Carolina Panthers regional scout (Southeast)
2000-04:Seattle Seahawks area scout
2005-10: San Francisco 49ers scout
2011-13: San Francisco 49ers regional scout (Southeast)
2014-16: San Francisco 49ers director of college scouting

Below is an article from 4 yrs ago regarding his work in SF and his answers to interview questions. His specialty is the southeast area and SEC country. From what I can gather, some of the better SF draft picks from his area are guys like Bruce Miller (FB), Chris Culliver (CB), and possibly Aldon Smith (LB)

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/2/4055550/2013-nfl-draft-matt-malaspina-combine
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he's been miscast in that organization the last two years. Great pick-up IMHO.
persiandud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulf in class when a director of scouting takes a meager scouting position

says a lot about what kinda talent we have
Pizza In A Cup

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he work with TT in Seattle?
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pizza In A Cup wrote:
Did he work with TT in Seattle?

Yep, good catch.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a weird time to be hiring scouts?
Chili

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
Is this a weird time to be hiring scouts?

Typically the hiring and firing of scouts tend to happen after the draft. Technically he wasnt a pure scout anymore, he was a front office guy who ran the scouting department. Like with all new management changes they tend to get rid of the old management but retain their area scouts until after the draft. So what happened to Malaspina was normal. However a team hiring a new area scout before the draft isn't I suppose.

This guy prior connection with Ted Thompson obviously helped him land this job. Any time we bring a guy in with this level of scouting experience is always welcome especially someone with vast experience of the SEC region.

I decided to look more closely at our scouts and the area they cover (best guesses). I used both of these maps to give me an idea of regions and the location of NCAA teams.
NCAA teams map: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1a/b7/e2/1ab7e21120e1ecb86ec22bf32bcc3c3f.jpg
Region Map: https://nextstl.com/wp-content/uploads/9338939420_fbf6e1c327_o.jpg

Elliot Wolf: more of a management guy than a pure scout. He basically holds the fort in Green Bay whilst Thompson goes off on his scouting trips. Not to say he can't scout as he has been heavily trained in scouting but I don't think he was ever responsible for scouting a region. He's more of a big picture guy and running the department.

Brian Gutekunst (Southeast), Alonzo Highsmith (Southwest) both moved to Green Bay after being promoted but they have lots of experience covering those areas.

The Packers director of college scouting is Jon-Eric Sullivan and he has scouting experience in the Central Plains region (Midwest) and Southeast region.

Sam Seale: West Regional scout
John Wojciechowski: Northeast/Midwest region (i think)
Richmond Williams: Southwest region
Alonzo Dotson: Midwest region (I think)
Mike Owen: Northeast region (he replaced Lee Gissendaner when he moved to NYJ as national scout)
Charles Walls : Acccording to his Linkin its NFS- Area 9. No clue what that is.
Chad Brinker: mix of pro and college scouting as well as advance scouting opponents.
Joe Hueber & Charlie Peprah: Scouting assistants

As far as I can tell we don't have a dedicated Southeast area scout and it appears we have remedied this with the hiring of Matt Malaspina.

How we do not have a dedicated Southeast area scout for SEC region for the past two years I have no idea but it goes some way to explain our avoidance of SEC players in recent drafts but then again TT had Gutekunst and Sullivan in-house who were both previously Southeast area scouts and how we avoided SEC players with those two experienced talent evaluators in TT ear...i'm dumbfounded. Maybe it was simply the way the draft shook out.

To be fair with the high profile nature of the SEC and between TT, Wolf (probably), Gutekunst and Sullivan they probably had enough knowledge of the region between them to compensate for not having a dedicated area scout. Obviously it wasnt working as we weren't drafting SEC guys.

TT saw an opportunity to hire the experienced Malaspina to expand our knowledge of the Southeast area but also to have someone in place that knows the SEC should someone like Gutekunst leave next year. With that in mind Malaspina was a solid hire.

With this hiring we now cover all regions except I don't think we currently have a dedicated Rocky Mountains area scout.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:

As far as I can tell we don't have a dedicated Southeast area scout and it appears we have remedied this with the hiring of Matt Malaspina.

How we do not have a dedicated Southeast area scout for SEC region for the past two years I have no idea but it goes some way to explain our avoidance of SEC players in recent drafts but then again TT had Gutekunst and Sullivan in-house who were both previously Southeast area scouts and how we avoided SEC players with those two experienced talent evaluators in TT ear...i'm dumbfounded. Maybe it was simply the way the draft shook out.

To be fair with the high profile nature of the SEC and between TT, Wolf (probably), Gutekunst and Sullivan they probably had enough knowledge of the region between them to compensate for not having a dedicated area scout. Obviously it wasnt working as we weren't drafting SEC guys.

TT saw an opportunity to hire the experienced Malaspina to expand our knowledge of the Southeast area but also to have someone in place that knows the SEC should someone like Gutekunst leave next year. With that in mind Malaspina was a solid hire.

With this hiring we now cover all regions except I don't think we currently have a dedicated Rocky Mountains area scout.

I was wanting to call this out, but damn... we really haven't drafted many SEC guys. The last 5 SEC guys we drafted are: HaHa Clinton-Dix (14), Eddie Lacy & Josh Boyd (13), Casey Hayward (12), and Derek Sherrod (11). In fact the Packers have only drafted 11 SEC guys since Thompson took over (14 if you want to retroactively count Texas A&M players that were drafted from the Big 12). Some of that is how the draft falls, but there is no doubt that the conference puts out a ton of pros.

Earlier Aldon Smith was mentioned. He was a Big 12 player. Mizzou moved to the SEC the year after he was drafted.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

TransientTexan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:

I was wanting to call this out, but damn... we really haven't drafted many SEC guys. The last 5 SEC guys we drafted are: HaHa Clinton-Dix (14), Eddie Lacy & Josh Boyd (13), Casey Hayward (12), and Derek Sherrod (11). In fact the Packers have only drafted 11 SEC guys since Thompson took over (14 if you want to retroactively count Texas A&M players that were drafted from the Big 12). Some of that is how the draft falls, but there is no doubt that the conference puts out a ton of pros.

Earlier Aldon Smith was mentioned. He was a Big 12 player. Mizzou moved to the SEC the year after he was drafted.

that doesn't necessarily mean Malaspina wasn't involved in scouting there. scouting areas are generally broken down by geographic region, not college conference. sometimes it's almost the same, but other times not. the only question is where different teams draw the line on region boundaries (for instance, the 49er's also employ a scout for the "southern" region).

The states I'm pretty certain fall in the "southeast" region are: Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Players drafted by the 49ers in the 2011-13 period when Malaspina was in charge of that area are:
Florida St.=Tank Carradine (DE), Nick Moody (LB)
South Carolina= Chris Culliver (CB), Bruce Ellington (WR), Marcus Lattimore (RB)
Auburn= Corey Lemonier (DE)
Alabama= Quinton Dial (DE)
Wake Forest= Joe Looney (G)
Appalachian St.= Daniel Kilgore (G)
UCF= Bruce Miller (FB)
South Florida= B.J. Daniels (QB)
Florida A&M= Curtis Holcomb (CB)

I'm guessing, depending where the lines are drawn, other states that teams might consider in their "southeast" region are:Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia. So Malaspina may have also had a hand in the following:
Missouri=Aldon Smith (LB)
LSU=Eric Reid (S)
LA Tech= Quinton Patton (WR)
Virginia= Cam Johnson (DE)
Chili

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to wondering who did we draft from the regions the scouts worked in under TT.

According to an old JSonline article the Packers each year goes through 1,500 to 1,800 college players and they whittle it down to the top 125 or so who will make up the draft board.

That to me is surprisingly low because approx 250 players get drafted every year. It important info because it means the Packers get very precise about which players they like. All those players we drafted ended up on the draft board of 125 players which means they got approval from the scouts and again from TT. We approved alot of crud Laughing

Brian Gutekunst (Southeast region, 2001-2011)
from 2005 onwards - NICK COLLINS, JUNIUS COSTON, JASON SPITZ, INGLE MARTIN, JUSTIN HARRELL, AARON ROUSE, DAVID CLOWNEY, DeSHAWN WYNN, BRIAN BROHM, PAT LEE, JEREMY THOMPSON, JOSH SITTON, BRENO GIACOMINI, MATT FLYNN, QUINN JOHNSON, JAMON MEREDITH, JARIUS WYNN, MORGAN BURNETT, C.J. WILSON, DEREK SHERROD, RANDALL COBB, D.J. WILLIAMS, D.J. SMITH, RYAN TAYLOR

Alonzo Highsmith (Southwest region, 1999-2012)
from 2005 onwards- MIKE HAWKINS, MICHAEL MONTGOMERY, CORY RODGERS, JOHNNY JOLLY, JERMICHAEL FINLEY, MARSHALL NEWHOUSE, DAVON HOUSE, RICKY ELMORE, LAWRENCE GUY

Jon-Eric Sullivan (Midwest region, 2008-11) and (Southeast region, 2012-15)
JORDY NELSON, BRANDON UNDERWOOD, BRYAN BULAGA, MIKE NEAL, CASEY HAYWARD, TERRELL MANNING, ANDREW DATKO, B.J. COLEMAN, EDDIE LACY, JOSH BOYD, SAM BARRINGTON, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Khyri Thornton

Sam Seale (West Regional scout, 2012-)
NICK PERRY, DATONE JONES, JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN, Davante Adams, Richard Rodgers, Ty Montgomery, Brett Hundley, Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy

Richmond Williams (Southwest region, 2012-)
Carl Bradford, Demetri Goodson, Damarious Randall, Aaron Ripkowski

John Wojciechowski (Northeast/Midwest region, 2012-)
MIKE DANIELS, MICAH HYDE, NATE PALMER, CHARLES JOHNSON, KEVIN DORSEY, Corey Linsley, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Quinten Rollins, Jake Ryan, Jason Spriggs, Dean Lowry

Alonzo Dotson (Midwest region, 2013-)
MICAH HYDE, NATE PALMER, CHARLES JOHNSON, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Quinten Rollins, Jake Ryan, Jason Spriggs, Dean Lowry

Mike Owen (Northeast region, 2015-)

Charles Walls (??, 2015-)

The green players are players the scout hit on. The jury is still out for Sam Steele but its trending in the positive direction. Sullivan either hit big on a player or missed badly on a player, theres no middle ground for him. The hits is probably why he is now director of college scouting.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:
I got to wondering who did we draft from the regions the scouts worked in under TT.

According to an old JSonline article the Packers each year goes through 1,500 to 1,800 college players and they whittle it down to the top 125 or so who will make up the draft board.

That to me is surprisingly low because approx 250 players get drafted every year. It important info because it means the Packers get very precise about which players they like. All those players we drafted ended up on the draft board of 125 players which means they got approval from the scouts and again from TT. We approved alot of crud Laughing

Nice post, but most if not all teams have a very specific board they go off. I don't think many teams have a 1-250 because there aren't 250 players they deem draftable or the right "fit."

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be neat to know which guys that turned out good were not on teams' radars, and why. Just the guys that slipped through the cracks.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
It would be neat to know which guys that turned out good were not on teams' radars, and why. Just the guys that slipped through the cracks.

Cameron Wake is one of them.

Also, I'd like to thank Chili for his clear and thorough posts on this topic.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:

Brian Gutekunst (Southeast region, 2001-2011)
from 2005 onwards - NICK COLLINS, JUNIUS COSTON, JASON SPITZ, INGLE MARTIN, JUSTIN HARRELL, AARON ROUSE, DAVID CLOWNEY, DeSHAWN WYNN, BRIAN BROHM, PAT LEE, JEREMY THOMPSON, JOSH SITTON, BRENO GIACOMINI, MATT FLYNN, QUINN JOHNSON, JAMON MEREDITH, JARIUS WYNN, MORGAN BURNETT, C.J. WILSON, DEREK SHERROD, RANDALL COBB, D.J. WILLIAMS, D.J. SMITH, RYAN TAYLOR

Alonzo Highsmith (Southwest region, 1999-2012)
from 2005 onwards- MIKE HAWKINS, MICHAEL MONTGOMERY, CORY RODGERS, JOHNNY JOLLY, JERMICHAEL FINLEY, MARSHALL NEWHOUSE, DAVON HOUSE, RICKY ELMORE, LAWRENCE GUY

Jon-Eric Sullivan (Midwest region, 2008-11) and (Southeast region, 2012-15)
JORDY NELSON, BRANDON UNDERWOOD, BRYAN BULAGA, MIKE NEAL, CASEY HAYWARD, TERRELL MANNING, ANDREW DATKO, B.J. COLEMAN, EDDIE LACY, JOSH BOYD, SAM BARRINGTON, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Khyri Thornton

Sam Seale (West Regional scout, 2012-)
NICK PERRY, DATONE JONES, JOHNATHAN FRANKLIN, Davante Adams, Richard Rodgers, Ty Montgomery, Brett Hundley, Kenny Clark, Blake Martinez, Trevor Davis, Kyle Murphy

Richmond Williams (Southwest region, 2012-)
Carl Bradford, Demetri Goodson, Damarious Randall, Aaron Ripkowski

John Wojciechowski (Northeast/Midwest region, 2012-)
MIKE DANIELS, MICAH HYDE, NATE PALMER, CHARLES JOHNSON, KEVIN DORSEY, Corey Linsley, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Quinten Rollins, Jake Ryan, Jason Spriggs, Dean Lowry

Alonzo Dotson (Midwest region, 2013-)
MICAH HYDE, NATE PALMER, CHARLES JOHNSON, Jared Abbrederis, Jeff Janis, Quinten Rollins, Jake Ryan, Jason Spriggs, Dean Lowry

Mike Owen (Northeast region, 2015-)

Charles Walls (??, 2015-)

The green players are players the scout hit on. The jury is still out for Sam Steele but its trending in the positive direction. Sullivan either hit big on a player or missed badly on a player, theres no middle ground for him. The hits is probably why he is now director of college scouting.

You know how to find that article? I want to read that.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm, try this one
Pretty detailed article on drafting and includes stuff from Wolf, Thompson, Dorsey, Schneider and others. There are layers and more layers and cross checks and re-checks. And then the coaches get involved both before and after. Its a multi-million dollar investment by every club

The guy who did the article did a lot of homework...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/3/6/5473554/2014-nfl-draft-scouting-process-big-board

Its a good read. here's a snippet on horizontal boards:

On the other hand, there is the horizontal board. Teams in the Ron Wolf tree of scouting more typically use this, where draft prospects are graded and compared to players on that current roster.
"We grade for our team," John Schneider explains, "we don't grade for the league. Our board basically represents that. We grade a guy based on whether we think he can compete with Bruce Irvin or Malcolm Smith or Bobby Wagner, and that's the way our board falls."

Last edited by Shanedorf on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: