You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Comp Picks announced, GB gets (1) 5th rounder
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CentralFC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
Barwin and 5th for Perry and a 4th.

...in the most lopsided trade in recent memory.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
ok Cwood Rolling Eyes

Miss you too Central. Wink

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Barwin a lot, but there's no way in hell I would trade for that contract. I watched more than a handful of Barwin games in the last month once I discovered he was a likely cap casualty and I'm convinced he still has a lot left in the tank. Part of the diminished sack total was the 4-3, but the primary reason that NO ONE is talking about is that he was routinely pulled off the field on obvious passing downs in favor of Curry and Graham.

Players who are discussed in trades this time of year are typically about to be released anyway.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the formula to determine comp picks has significantly changed...
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:
yea, sad that Hayward nets the same comp pick as Erik Walden. Guess that proves it's mostly about salary. Both contracts had averages around 3.3% of the total cap.

As much as I want to say I told you so, I won't. The AAV is generally what dictates where the pick is located. The other qualifications really only come into play when you're on that threshold between picks.

On a related note, it's a free pick so I'm happy about that. And it's tradeable, so that's good too.

I would trade it right now for Connor Barwin if the Eagles are up for it.

Taking things off track but... Barwin is owed ~$19million over the next two years. I'm thinking I'd rather give that money to Perry and keep the pick.

Id trade the fifth and get Barwin. Let Perry fetch us a 4th round pick next year. Barwin and 5th for Perry and a 4th.

So give up a 5th now and downgrade and get older at edge to pick up a late 4th next year as long as we sign 0 FAs? That sounds awful.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:

It has?

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

It has?

absolutely. Go look at how many 3rd round comps were given out compared to that of 7th round comps. It's like the system flipped itself...
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

It has?

absolutely. Go look at how many 3rd round comps were given out compared to that of 7th round comps. It's like the system flipped itself...

Completely a guess but....

Perhaps it is that the formula HASN'T changed and that's why you are seeing it. Seems to be based on the AAV. Those are going up overall for the players signed but may not have changed in the formula. Hence more picks earlier???

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Comp Picks announced, GB gets (1) 5th rounder Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/NFL-Announces-32-Compensatory-Draft-Choices-to-16-Clubs.aspx

Loss of Hayward and Tolzien = 5th rounder

Evidently we aren't getting a pick for Tolzien, just for Hayward.
HUDSONandGRUDEN

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the wrong way to look at the Barwin thing IMO. He has no dead money on his contract in 2018, the gamble is you get him for 8.5 million, and extend him for a more reasonable salary over time. Otherwise you just cut him in 2018. Or if he hits maybe just keep him at 10.25 million. The risk wouldn't be all that high for a 5th Not like the probability of getting a productive pass rusher that late is all that high either.

Back to a 3/4, new scenery, might be worth it.
HorizontoZenith

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass rusher is one area I don't want to go to free agency for. I feel like a rookie pass rusher can learn this defense easier than a rookie cornerback can.

With pass rusher, I want Perry, Peppers, Matthews and a first round pick.

With corner I want Randall, free agent, free agent, rookie 2nd-3rd round pick, Rollins.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevein2012 wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
TransientTexan wrote:
yea, sad that Hayward nets the same comp pick as Erik Walden. Guess that proves it's mostly about salary. Both contracts had averages around 3.3% of the total cap.

As much as I want to say I told you so, I won't. The AAV is generally what dictates where the pick is located. The other qualifications really only come into play when you're on that threshold between picks.

On a related note, it's a free pick so I'm happy about that. And it's tradeable, so that's good too.

I would trade it right now for Connor Barwin if the Eagles are up for it.

Taking things off track but... Barwin is owed ~$19million over the next two years. I'm thinking I'd rather give that money to Perry and keep the pick.

Id trade the fifth and get Barwin. Let Perry fetch us a 4th round pick next year. Barwin and 5th for Perry and a 4th.

So give up a 5th now and downgrade and get older at edge to pick up a late 4th next year as long as we sign 0 FAs? That sounds awful.

Both picks would be late round picks not just the 4th. I feel like Perry will be getting 9-12 million a year based purely on his 2016 season. Perry has yet to play an entire season. Barwin has had more sacks than Perry in all but one of Perrys five years. I'll take consistency over potential. Having two overpayed injury prone OLB is scary.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUDSONandGRUDEN wrote:
Thats the wrong way to look at the Barwin thing IMO. He has no dead money on his contract in 2018, the gamble is you get him for 8.5 million, and extend him for a more reasonable salary over time. Otherwise you just cut him in 2018. Or if he hits maybe just keep him at 10.25 million. The risk wouldn't be all that high for a 5th Not like the probability of getting a productive pass rusher that late is all that high either.

Back to a 3/4, new scenery, might be worth it.

Are you familiar with the Eagles cap situation?

Why pay for something that will be free in 2 weeks? If your argument is that other teams will be able to sign him... well I guarantee Barwin would sign with the first team that offers him more than 5 Million in 2017 so that's still 3.5 cheaper than his salary would be via trade.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wgbeethree wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

It has?

Perhaps it is that the formula HASN'T changed and that's why you are seeing it. Seems to be based on the AAV. Those are going up overall for the players signed but may not have changed in the formula. Hence more picks earlier???

Remember that first and foremost, the NFL is an entertainment enterprise
From a ratings/cash perspective, having a bunch of teams swapping 6th and 7th rounders doesn't move the needle

Having a suplus of 3rd rounders does

3rd round comp picks used to be for truly special players and they were a lot more rare in previous years.
Any number of explanations for that, but money usually plays a role.
The draft is Big Business and having a bunch of trade-able 3rds makes for compelling TV on Day 1 and Day 2.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
wgbeethree wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:

It has?

Remember that first and foremost, the NFL is an entertainment enterprise
From a ratings/cash perspective, having a bunch of teams swapping 6th and 7th rounders doesn't move the needle

Having a suplus of 3rd rounders does

3rd round comp picks used to be for truly special players and they were a lot more rare in previous years.
Any number of explanations for that, but money usually plays a role.
The draft is Big Business and having a bunch of trade-able 3rds makes for compelling TV on Day 1 and Day 2.

Color me sceptical. I don't really believe it "moves the needle" at all. Casual fans don't care enough about the draft to have that as a determining factor in whether or not they are going to watch in my opinion. I could be entirely wrong but I don't see it causing a major rise in day two ratings. Casual fans just aren't going to flock in droves because of a little tweak.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: