Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos will not pick up the option on Russel Okung!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
One thing it seems like a lot of people may be discounting is that Garcia and McGovern likely are better fits for McCoy's NEBS blocking scheme than the ZBS. In my analysis our OGs really aren't the glaring weaknesses that our tackles are.

I am interested in McGovern. Can't he squat a small truck?
champ11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counselor wrote:
champ11 wrote:
Feel bad for Okung.

Why because he got to keep everything he made since he was his own agent? Should have signed a smarter contract than that and played better to earn the option.

He screwed up and I feel bad for him. He should have locked up a longer contract. But negotiations always come back to how screwed NFL players are with the contracts compared to other leagues for me.

team rammy

BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this notion that he may be a better fit at RT. Okung isn't nearly physical enough in the run game. If his pass blocking has really fallen off, as it seemed last season, then he has nothing to hold his hat on.

Quote:
One thing it seems like a lot of people may be discounting is that Garcia and McGovern likely are better fits for McCoy's NEBS blocking scheme than the ZBS. In my analysis our OGs really aren't the glaring weaknesses that our tackles are.

I don't think you can hand McGovern a starting spot. He should be groomed behind Schofield, and compete with him for the starting RG spot. Then when Schofield becomes a UFA in 2018 we can slide McGovern into that starting RG spot and save some $$$. That is, unless Schofield can elevate from average to excellent at RG, but I don't see that happening. I dislike the idea of paying for average play at OG. I think it will be a Zane Beadles like situation and that he just wont be worth it.

As for Garcia, with Paradis likely out for an extended period of time he should be groomed as our interior swing LG/OC. We have to come to terms with the fact that Matt may have serious hip issues moving forward and should ensure he has an excellent backup until he proves recovery from double hip surgery. Garcia was drafted as a OC and should be groomed to be our long term interior swing IMO.

So, basically, if everything works out, we have our future starting OC (Matt Paradis), future starting RG (Connor McGovern) and future IOL backup (Max Garcia). We need a starting LT, RT, LG and swing OT.

I do agree that OT is a far bigger weakness.
BowserBroncos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I don't understand this notion that he may be a better fit at RT. Okung isn't nearly physical enough in the run game. If his pass blocking has really fallen off, as it seemed last season, then he has nothing to hold his hat on.

Quote:

I don't think you can hand McGovern a starting spot. He should be groomed behind Schofield, and compete with him for the starting RG spot. Then when Schofield becomes a UFA in 2018 we can slide McGovern into that starting RG spot and save some $$$. That is, unless Schofield can elevate from average to excellent at RG, but I don't see that happening. I dislike the idea of paying for average play at OG. I think it will be a Zane Beadles like situation and that he just wont be worth it.

As for Garcia, with Paradis likely out for an extended period of time he should be groomed as our interior swing LG/OC. We have to come to terms with the fact that Matt may have serious hip issues moving forward and should ensure he has an excellent backup until he proves recovery from double hip surgery. Garcia was drafted as a OC and should be groomed to be our long term interior swing IMO.

So, basically, if everything works out, we have our future starting OC (Matt Paradis), future starting RG (Connor McGovern) and future IOL backup (Max Garcia). We need a starting LT, RT, LG and swing OT.

I do agree that OT is a far bigger weakness.

LT - Andrew Withworth
RT - Ricky Wagner
LG - on draft (Forrest Lamp or Dan Feeney)
Swing OT - late round draft pick (Jonathan McLaughlin from Virginia Tech)
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

LT - Andrew Withworth
RT - Ricky Wagner

It looks great in theory, but IDK if we can pull off signing the top 2 FA OT's on the market, nor do I think we would be willing to pay the price it will cost.

I bring him up too much, but I would take Orlando back at RT of OG in a split second if he is cut. Especially like the idea of him back at RT mauling in the run game. He may have cooked his career in SD but many players re-emerge after coming home (Michael Johnson after his short TB stint comes to mind).
BowserBroncos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

LT - Andrew Withworth
RT - Ricky Wagner

It looks great in theory, but IDK if we can pull off signing the top 2 FA OT's on the market, nor do I think we would be willing to pay the price it will cost.

I bring him up too much, but I would take Orlando back at RT of OG in a split second if he is cut. Especially like the idea of him back at RT mauling in the run game. He may have cooked his career in SD but many players re-emerge after coming home (Michael Johnson after his short TB stint comes to mind).

I would bring Orlando back too, but Wagner is a little bit underrated and I think his cap hit won't be more than 7M.....if thats the case we have the cap to sign Wagner and Withworth and still would have cap for one or two DL players like Calais Campbell(with a hometown deal, since he is from Denver) and Earl Mitchell.
broncos67

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BowserBroncos wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

LT - Andrew Withworth
RT - Ricky Wagner

I would bring Orlando back too, but Wagner is a little bit underrated and I think his cap hit won't be more than 7M.....if thats the case we have the cap to sign Wagner and Withworth and still would have cap for one or two DL players like Calais Campbell(with a hometown deal, since he is from Denver) and Earl Mitchell.

If you think we can sign Campbell, Whitworth, AND Wagner, you are sorely mistaken. Whitworth is going to get 12+ per year. Wagner will get 10MM per year. Campbell will also get at least 10 if not more. There's no reason for him to take a hometown discount or any discount.

Our best bet is one interior OL and potential a mid tier OT or vice versa, and then a draft pick. If we can swing that, it's a win.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BowserBroncos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
BowserBroncos wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:

LT - Andrew Withworth
RT - Ricky Wagner

If you think we can sign Campbell, Whitworth, AND Wagner, you are sorely mistaken. Whitworth is going to get 12+ per year. Wagner will get 10MM per year. Campbell will also get at least 10 if not more. There's no reason for him to take a hometown discount or any discount.

Our best bet is one interior OL and potential a mid tier OT or vice versa, and then a draft pick. If we can swing that, it's a win.

If Campbell get 10 I'll think is a discount. I don't see Wagner getting 10M....but anyway will still wound have cap for it.

With Okung depature our cap space are at 40+ and could get to 45 if Stephenson follow Okung footsteps.

you take the ERFA and the RFA we get back to 41M

Withworth 12 + Wagner 10 + Campbell 10 = 32M (this if the cap hits are the same every year of the contract, Elway probably will make it backload with almost none deadmoney on the last year)....you put a guy like Earl Mitchell that doesn't demand much APY.

We would have sign the 3 + Mitchell and still have cap space for one or two low profile signings and the draft picks signings.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: