Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Broncos will not pick up the option on Russel Okung!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broncs4life

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Broncos will not pick up the option on Russel Okung! Reply with quote

Quote:
Another strong tackle option appears headed to free agency as the broncos have informed Russell Okung they will not be picking up his option

Jay Glazer on twitter.

You've got to think that Elway have another deal in place to not picking his option. I will say Whitworth via FA or Joe Staley via trade!

Thanks to CalhounLambeau for the incredible sig!!
Von Miller 2011 DROY and SB50 MVP!!!!!
IT'S MILLER TIME!!
GO BRONCOS!
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Broncos will not pick up the option on Russel Okung! Reply with quote

broncs4life wrote:
Quote:
Another strong tackle option appears headed to free agency as the broncos have informed Russell Okung they will not be picking up his option

Jay Glazer on twitter.

You've got to think that Elway have another deal in place to not picking his option. I will say Whitworth via FA or Joe Staley via trade!

If Elway is counting on Whitworth it's foolish considering the Bengals could certainly resign him. I also don't think Joe Staley is the target. I expect Denver is now going to fill a bunch of holes with above average-ish players:

I think Kelvin Beachum or Manelik Watson are two to look for here. Reilly Reiff could be another.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god. Okung just isn't mean enough. We need a new identity across the OL and he is the status quo.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a strong LT market - but Okung was healthy and was awful for us. Bringing him back with another year of wear and tear, and realizing 2016 was his first year to play all 16 games? No-brainer not just to decline the option, but to look elsewhere.

If you bring him back, you are dooming the OL to mediocrity. Even if you don't get Whitworth (which to me still is in play, as the same blurb that said he was looking to go back, he said he also wanted to play for a contender), going after Beachum/Reiff/Watson would all be better choices - as they're younger, and have more potential to bounce back (as opposed to Okung's age and mileage, much greater chance he continues to regress).

Making an announcement this early, bob touched on it in the FA thread - reading the tea leaves, you can't believe they are even considering trying to bring Okung back on a restructured deal. Which is a good thing IMO.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okung wasn't interested in taking a pay cut.

Could still be brought back but I highly doubt it. Now to get rid of Sambrailo and Stephenson.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little scary because Stephenson is likely the next domino to fall... leaving us with Sambrailo at tackle. At the same time it's exciting, because we've needed an overhaul at the position for a lot of years now - hopefully its addressed with the resources it deserves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:

Could still be brought back but I highly doubt it. Now to get rid of Sambrailo and Stephenson.

I agree with you on Stephenson, cutting him right now saves us $3m in cap space. But there is absolutely zero reason to get rid of Sambrailo right now. His cap hit is $1.05m and comes with $500k dead money, meaning we save $500k, that's nothing. Let him go through the offseason workout programs, learn the new offense, maybe get healthy and fight for a job at camp and in the preseason. If he doesn't make the final 53 you cut him in August and save the $500k then. There's no reason for a 2nd round pick, and believe me I am acutely aware of how badly he's played, to not be one of the 90 players who compete for a spot on the team in camp.

elliot878 wrote:
A little scary because Stephenson is likely the next domino to fall... leaving us with Sambrailo at tackle. At the same time it's exciting, because we've needed an overhaul at the position for a lot of years now - hopefully its addressed with the resources it deserves

The problem is we've been investing resources, both free agent dollars and premium draft picks, in the OL since Elway took over the team. Other than Paradis and, for a few years early on, Orlando Franklin, Elway & Co have done a pisspoor job in talent acquisition.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on his market I could still see Okung back, it may be that he tests the market and realises the pay cut Elway was offering was the best option.

Mutually beneficial, because we need at least three new starting OL, so recruiting one from within makes sense.

Okung --- New Guy --- Paradis --- Schofield --- New Guy

Max Garcia backup G/C and Sambrailo as the swing tackle

Stephenson should be cut.

Fify.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possibility that I would have examined if I was in the Broncos front office would have tried moving Okung to RT. Okung was good at run-blocking but poor at pass blocking.

But ... moving Okung to RT would have dropped his paycheck a lot.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing it seems like a lot of people may be discounting is that Garcia and McGovern likely are better fits for McCoy's NEBS blocking scheme than the ZBS. In my analysis our OGs really aren't the glaring weaknesses that our tackles are.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
One thing it seems like a lot of people may be discounting is that Garcia and McGovern likely are better fits for McCoy's NEBS blocking scheme than the ZBS. In my analysis our OGs really aren't the glaring weaknesses that our tackles are.

I still think they are better off as backups. They would be more valuable in that role. I do agree the tackle situation is infinitely worse, but I have a feeling we sign two in FA, and draft another in the Top 100 picks.

Thanks, Tzimisce
Counselor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Denver picked up the option they surely would have lost a 3rd round comp this year since it was tied into a contract from last off season and is before comp picks are announced at the owners meeting correct?

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:

I agree with you on Stephenson, cutting him right now saves us $3m in cap space. But there is absolutely zero reason to get rid of Sambrailo right now. His cap hit is $1.05m and comes with $500k dead money, meaning we save $500k, that's nothing. Let him go through the offseason workout programs, learn the new offense, maybe get healthy and fight for a job at camp and in the preseason. If he doesn't make the final 53 you cut him in August and save the $500k then. There's no reason for a 2nd round pick, and believe me I am acutely aware of how badly he's played, to not be one of the 90 players who compete for a spot on the team in camp.

elliot878 wrote:

The problem is we've been investing resources, both free agent dollars and premium draft picks, in the OL since Elway took over the team. Other than Paradis and, for a few years early on, Orlando Franklin, Elway & Co have done a pisspoor job in talent acquisition.

I agree with you. During the season I called out there being a problem in the building with the evaluation of OL talent. The good thing about the new coaching staff, we're moving away from the zone scheme. I believe you can win with the zone scheme, but I don't believe for a second that our front office and scouting departments knew how to evaluate zone talent in todays NFL. As you mentioned, we really haven't hit on a free agent acquisition or draft pick besides Paradis in a while... but examining more closely, we haven't hit on an OL talent in free agency or in the draft since Fox was here and we were running a power scheme.

When we were running the power scheme Elway had a few big hits with Franklin in the draft and Louis Vasquez in free agency. Hopefully now that we're going back to a scheme that, imo, the front office and scouts have a better handle on evaluating, we'll start hitting on our OL assessments with more frequency in both FA and the Draft.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel bad for Okung.

team rammy

Counselor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
Feel bad for Okung.

Why because he got to keep everything he made since he was his own agent? Should have signed a smarter contract than that and played better to earn the option.

48 1/2ers wrote:
Ostriches have inverted knees and they're pretty athletic...

GIF of Ostrich Running Here...

The Wheat Grass Shooting Hippies made me get rid of it...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: