Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packattacks 1st Mock of 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
packattack86

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Packattacks 1st Mock of 2017 Reply with quote

Free Agents retained
- Lang
- Cook
- Perry
- Hyde

Free Agent losses
- Lacy
- Peppers
- Datone
- Tretter

Free Agent signing

Prince Amukamara - Still young and relatively cheap, adds some help to the secondary

DRAFT

1. Sidney Jones, CB, Washington - Adds much needed speed and talent to the secondary

2. Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma - Replaces Lacy and is a nice complement to Montgomery with his tough inside running ability.

3. Dawuane Smoot, OLB, Illinois - Adds more youth and depth at a key position, can get after the QB.

4. Jake Butt, TE, Michigan - Solid prospect that falls due to injury. If his medical checks out GB can afford to bring him along slowly with Cook and RR still in the fold.

5. Erik Magnuson, OT, Michigan - TT has a history of drafting tackles and converting them to guard, so this pick is for depth.

5. projected comp pick - Josh Harvey-Clemons, SS, Louisville - Big safety that Dom can convert to a speedy ILB, sort of a poor man's Deone Bucannon

6. Treyvon Hester , DT, Toledo - Adds depth and another BiG body to the d line

7. Brendan Langley, CB, Lamar - Project player with good size

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before, but Amukamara has to be the most unlikely FA CB that we could sign. Replace him with anyone else and the Mock instantly becomes more realistic IMO.

Amukamara just isn't leaving JAX and if you are looking for a bunch of reasons as to why you can scroll down to "Arodfanboy Mock #2" where I literally typed out a bullet point list.

Here are four more reasons (in addition to the aforementioned list) Amukamara won't leave JAX.

1) Jacksonville just signed Perry Fewell as the secondary coach in January(sound familiar?)
2) They now have 75 Million in cap space (3rd most in NFL)
3) Jaguars currently have 62 men on the roster for 2017 (T-5th in NFL)
4) Amukamara is BY FAR the most important FA Jacksonville has to re-sign in 2017. The next two have to be Cyprien and Joeckel, which is a massive drop in talent.

As far as the draft... I actually think my two favorite picks are at the end of the draft. It's nice to see Hester get some love and Langley is one of the more interesting athletes at CB in the draft.

I like Jones in the first, although I would probably prefer an EDGE. I like Perine, but I'm not a fan of drafting a RB in the 2nd (in this class) unless the value is tremendous. It seems like the value at the RB position will be optimal between the middle of Rd 3 and the end of Rd 5 this year.

I need to see how Smoot performs at the NFL Combine before I can slot him accordingly, but he certainly possess some pass rush ability.

Don't like the middle of your draft Rd 4-5. You can also add an extra 7th Rd compensatory pick to your Mock that GB will get for Scooter.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question - losing Jones and Peppers at OLB (I assume Datone Jones was considered an OLB) and only drafting one begs the question "where is the depth coming from". Add to that Mathews is probably better suited to play ILB at this point in his career, so the net result is 2017/2018 season looks as weak on defense as this last season. I hope Fackrell is ready because they will be forced to play him a lot. If you are going to sing a free agent then at least sign one that I can pronounce his name.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Question - losing Jones and Peppers at OLB (I assume Datone Jones was considered an OLB) and only drafting one begs the question "where is the depth coming from". Add to that Mathews is probably better suited to play ILB at this point in his career, so the net result is 2017/2018 season looks as weak on defense as this last season. I hope Fackrell is ready because they will be forced to play him a lot. If you are going to sing a free agent then at least sign one that I can pronounce his name.

Perry, CM3, Smoot, Kyler, and Elliot. How deep do you want to go? If Perry and CM3 are healthy then I expect them to see most of the snaps.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Perry, CM3, Smoot, Kyler, and Elliot. How deep do you want to go? If Perry and CM3 are healthy then I expect them to see most of the snaps.

A lot of fans just assume we're gonna resign Perry. We won't if a team or two offers him a king's ransom. Neutral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

A lot of fans just assume we're gonna resign Perry. We won't if a team or two offers him a king's ransom. Neutral

...which is what I think will happen. Someone will nail him with a 4 year deal in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 a year and Ted won't budge. However, the EDGE class in this draft is allegedly weak so that may play into it. Personally, I'm lukewarm on Perry given his injury history and the fact that it took us awhile to really find a good role for him to fit.

On the other hand, I'd go Kirkpatrick as the FA CB signed; we all know it probably won't happen, but if it did that's my pick.

I really like Samaje Perrine because he's a big back with speed. I think 2nd round may be a bit early for him, but I wouldn't mind it if a legit pass-rusher wasn't to be had AND we went with the CB in the first. Not sure Butt will be there in the 4th either, but if he's there, I think he easily supplants Richard Rodgers at TE2. I think the Magnuson pick is incredible value in the 5th and might be able to be more of a G/T type of guy; especially if Lang leaves.
RCobb18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

It's kind of concerning that we haven't resigned him yet. The closer we get to free agency the less likely I think we bring him back.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCobb18 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

It's kind of concerning that we haven't resigned him yet. The closer we get to free agency the less likely I think we bring him back.

Is it just me or does it seem like all the teams aren't resigning their own right now?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
RCobb18 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Is it just me or does it seem like all the teams aren't resigning their own right now?

Lot of FA deals get done in the last few days prior to the opening of FA period. I believe that is March 9th.
Kenrik

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
RCobb18 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Why would you resign at this point? Free agency is 2 weeks away. Why not field some other offers.
vegas492

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
Pugger wrote:
RCobb18 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Why would you resign at this point? Free agency is 2 weeks away. Why not field some other offers.

Depends on the player. I'm thinking that any agent worth their salt has identified what the market should be for their client.
And if the player really wanted to stay where he was and was presented a fair offer, I think he's sign. I'm thinking specifically about Lang right now. I think he's the one that if GB offered the right number, or something a little less, he'd sign in a heartbeat to stay in Green Bay.
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadlines spur action

From the agents' point of view, pushing all the way up until midnight is his best option.
He has a reputation to maintain and he needs to create the impression that he squeezed every last dollar, that's his job

IF the Packers put an offer on the table now, they know with great certainty the agent will use that proposal to shop around to other teams.

Cobb let his agent push the limits on time and money, but he signed in GB
However, Cobb's agent can trumpet the offers he got from other teams, so the agent is happy.

Its kind of like having an Open House in real estate
The Realtor uses your home to find new clients, the actual buyers didn't need an open house, they scheduled an actual visit on their own

There's no value to teams in making the first offer and there's no value to an agent in accepting the first offer. The players also like to see who and what was offered. They only get to be an FA a couple of times and no matter how much you love your wife, it would be interesting to see if a Super Model expressed interest. Human nature

Silly system, but that's the current reality in FA.
Cadmus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

...which is what I think will happen. Someone will nail him with a 4 year deal in the neighborhood of 8 or 9 a year and Ted won't budge. However, the EDGE class in this draft is allegedly weak so that may play into it. Personally, I'm lukewarm on Perry given his injury history and the fact that it took us awhile to really find a good role for him to fit.

On the other hand, I'd go Kirkpatrick as the FA CB signed; we all know it probably won't happen, but if it did that's my pick.

I really like Samaje Perrine because he's a big back with speed. I think 2nd round may be a bit early for him, but I wouldn't mind it if a legit pass-rusher wasn't to be had AND we went with the CB in the first. Not sure Butt will be there in the 4th either, but if he's there, I think he easily supplants Richard Rodgers at TE2. I think the Magnuson pick is incredible value in the 5th and might be able to be more of a G/T type of guy; especially if Lang leaves.

Thompson isn't letting Perry walk. That makes zero sense with our cap situation. 8 or 9... heck even 10 or 11 per is absolutely nothing when you look at Perry's value to Green Bay and how the contract will be structured.

Also, Kirkpatrick was absolutely brutal at times this season. That guys isn't a #1 CB in the NFL and I feel like he's only getting consideration because he was a former 1st Rd Pick.

FWIW among the FA corners (or potential FA in the case of House)... from what I have seen (at least 6+ games of each).

2015 Gilmore > 2016 Bouye > 2015 House > 2016 Gilmore > 2016 Claiborne > 2016 Kirkpatrick

The only thing I should mention here is that I dinged Claiborne a bit because he only played a handful of games in 2016. He was excellent in the games he played, but Gilmore played the entire season and had a better 6 game stretch than Claiborne did.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Well, Perry isn't signed, Mathews was not a good OLB last year, Fackrell who knows, Elliot barely played, and some 3rd round rookie? What I want is a proven veteran not some hopes and a prayers. I repeat with what you propose I see zero improvement at OLB likely a step backwards. Again, it's my opinion Add to that forcing Mathews to play OLB leaves the team with those slow ILB's so you have another problem. Complain about the CB's all you want, the last half of the season it was lack of pressure that made the DB's look so bad.....don't you think?
packattack86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
Kenrik wrote:
gizmo2012 wrote:

Well, Perry isn't signed, Mathews was not a good OLB last year, Fackrell who knows, Elliot barely played, and some 3rd round rookie? What I want is a proven veteran not some hopes and a prayers. I repeat with what you propose I see zero improvement at OLB likely a step backwards. Again, it's my opinion Add to that forcing Mathews to play OLB leaves the team with those slow ILB's so you have another problem. Complain about the CB's all you want, the last half of the season it was lack of pressure that made the DB's look so bad.....don't you think?

I see what you mean, however, TT will not go on a spending spree and I don't see many upgrades available at ILB. I do think Clay was playing better inside though. Our OLB situation hinges on Perry. If he stays then we'd have a rotation of CM3, Fackrell, Elliott, and Smoot at OLB. CM3 can also take some snaps at ILB alongside Ryan and Martinez. Remember Martinez was a rookie so I expect him to be improved next season. If perry leaves that changes everything; we'd then likely draft an edge higher and/or keep Peppers at a 1 yr deal or sign a FA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: