Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Total Control Mock Draft - War Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made the our first pick. I had to make a tough call after the Jets took Jamal Adams. He was the top guy on my board. This is the call I made:
jrry32 wrote:
With the 7th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select...

Ryan Ramczyk LT Wisconsin

Code: 4832 - Ryan Ramczyk - OT - Wisconsin

I strongly considered Jonathan Allen, but the Combine medical reports scared me away. I ultimately chose Ramczyk over Malik Hooker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Well, I made the our first pick. I had to make a tough call after the Jets took Jamal Adams. He was the top guy on my board. This is the call I made:
jrry32 wrote:

I strongly considered Jonathan Allen, but the Combine medical reports scared me away. I ultimately chose Ramczyk over Malik Hooker.

Not a fan. You kept Dunlap at his price tag, brought in swing tackle depth and then reached for a LT in a weak draft class. Whoever we draft needs to be a day 1 starter, Dunlap costs too much to give up his starting job and still be on the roster.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Not a fan. You kept Dunlap at his price tag, brought in swing tackle depth and then reached for a LT in a weak draft class. Whoever we draft needs to be a day 1 starter, Dunlap costs too much to give up his starting job and still be on the roster.

I'm working on trading Dunlap. Couldn't just cut him, but with his legal issues and injury history, I wasn't comfortable with him being the only option at LT.

I did bring in tackle depth, but I am hoping that he pushes Barksdale out of a job.

Ramczyk will be the Day One starter. And the fact that this is a deep safety class and a weak LT class only made me more sure of my move. I am not as high on Malik Hooker as others. I am higher on Ramczyk than most.

I think Ramczyk has the ability to be a high quality NFL pass protector and a solid to good run blocker. When you watch him in pass pro, he's smooth, controlled, and natural in his ability to move and mirror edge rushers. I loved the way he handled Arden Key's speed and bend. He can get better with his punch, but that's why the Chargers have an OL Coach.

I truly think he's a top 5-10 pick if medical isn't an issue. He makes it look easy.

But I understand where you're coming from, and I appreciate the feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second pick:
jrry32 wrote:
With the 38th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select...

Desmond King FS Iowa

Code: 4295 - Desmond King - FS - Iowa

I would have considered Mahomes, but he was off the board. I also considered Malik McDowell, who is available, but I felt it was too big of a risk to take with a new coaching staff.

Personally, I was fine with passing on Hooker because I knew Desmond King would be available later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this pick after where you went in the first. I wouldn't have been able to pass on Malik though. I'm honestly fine with him in the first with his combine and he'd be a steal in the second. Do you have ammo to trade up and snag him still?
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I like this pick after where you went in the first. I wouldn't have been able to pass on Malik though. I'm honestly fine with him in the first with his combine and he'd be a steal in the second. Do you have ammo to trade up and snag him still?

He went right after my pick, unfortunately. But I think I made up for it:
jrry32 wrote:
With the 111th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select...

Dalvin Tomlinson NT/DE Alabama

Code: 4222 - Dalvin Tomlinson - DT - Alabama

ny92jefferis wrote:
Round: 3rd Pick: 3 Overall: 67 | New York Giants select Dorian Johnson - OG

Round: 3rd Pick: 7 Overall: 71 | Los Angeles Chargers select Ahkello Witherspoon - CB

Dalvin can play three different positions on this front (3-Tech, 1-Tech, and 5-Tech). Witherspoon will develop behind Brandon Carr for a year. I think he's going to be a star in the NFL. Incredible athleticism for a guy with his length, and he was a shutdown CB in 2016.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I really like Ramczyk, I don't like the pick, but I don't like any option on the board either, and since you didn't fill the LT role, I guess I'd be fine with it.

I don't think Desmond King is close to the player Buddah Baker is, but I have a rd 1 grade on Budda, and think he's basically the 2nd coming of Mathieu, but that's just me. You could've gone BPA and grabbed McDowell (who IMO is a top 10 pick caliber player) or Tim Williams, who's one of the better pass rushers in the draft, regardless of his workout.

I like the last two picks a lot. Tomlinson is a GREAT dirty work guy, and I think he's going to end up eerily similar to Jordan Howard in that 2/3 T DT role.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
While I really like Ramczyk, I don't like the pick, but I don't like any option on the board either, and since you didn't fill the LT role, I guess I'd be fine with it.

I don't think Desmond King is close to the player Buddah Baker is, but I have a rd 1 grade on Budda, and think he's basically the 2nd coming of Mathieu, but that's just me. You could've gone BPA and grabbed McDowell (who IMO is a top 10 pick caliber player) or Tim Williams, who's one of the better pass rushers in the draft, regardless of his workout.

I like the last two picks a lot. Tomlinson is a GREAT dirty work guy, and I think he's going to end up eerily similar to Jordan Howard in that 2/3 T DT role.

I tried to talk myself into Bubba Baker because I really like him, but you'd ruin him if you tried to use him as a FS in a Gus Bradley defense. You'd D.J. Swearinger him. Note that Swearinger turned things around in Arizona when they let him do what he's best at.

Baker, like Swearinger, is best in a rover type role. Let him come downhill vs. the run, bring him into the box to cover slot WRs, TEs, and HBs, and use him in a variety of roles in coverage. Standing him in center field would just misuse his skill-set.

On the other hand, King is really at his best in that role because of his instincts and ball-skills.

My problem with Malik McDowell is that he's got so many off the field issues that you're taking a major risk on him playing within the confines of a scheme. It's easier to justify that risk with an established coaching staff.

I think springing a guy like McDowell onto a new staff has the potential for disaster. I'd rather let them build a foundation and develop leadership in the locker room before throwing such a risky player at them. McDowell is essentially a home run or a strike out. I see King as a pretty safe pick.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

I tried to talk myself into Bubba Baker because I really like him, but you'd ruin him if you tried to use him as a FS in a Gus Bradley defense. You'd D.J. Swearinger him. Note that Swearinger turned things around in Arizona when they let him do what he's best at.

Baker, like Swearinger, is best in a rover type role. Let him come downhill vs. the run, bring him into the box to cover slot WRs, TEs, and HBs, and use him in a variety of roles in coverage. Standing him in center field would just misuse his skill-set.

On the other hand, King is really at his best in that role because of his instincts and ball-skills.

My problem with Malik McDowell is that he's got so many off the field issues that you're taking a major risk on him playing within the confines of a scheme. It's easier to justify that risk with an established coaching staff.

I think springing a guy like McDowell onto a new staff has the potential for disaster. I'd rather let them build a foundation and develop leadership in the locker room before throwing such a risky player at them. McDowell is essentially a home run or a strike out. I see King as a pretty safe pick.

I really don't like King as a deep middle FS. I don't think he's athletic enough at all. He's got very limited burst and because of that, his range isn't going to be good enough if you stick him as a single high FS. Honestly if you wanted to go with another option (who IIRC is still on the board right now), Tedric Thompson is going to be a beast in that single high FS role. He's sort of like Tashaun Gipson or Tre Boston. His athleticism didn't really measure up, but he plays WAY faster than that, and shows really good cover skills, crazy range and incredible rout recognition.

I'm surprised you think that Baker'd be misused as a single high FS TBH. I think he's really good there, and you can roll him down into the slot with 3 S packages. Earl Thomas does a lot of that in Seattle's current defense, and I think they can play similar roles, but ultimately I think he's much more Mathieu than Swearinger. His range to the ball is crazy and you can do so much with him.

McDowell I don't think is as big a [inappropriate/removed] as people think he is. I think he's an outlandish character that Mich State didn't know how to deal with, since they're very militarian in the way they do everything there, and every guy that comes out of there seems to be a football purist type. I'm not sure McDowell isn't just a character like Michael Bennett/Josh Norman/Richard Sherman in the way that he wanted to do things hi own way and he was misconstrued by his college coaches.

Also while you're right its early to get a guy like this involved, this is absolutely 100% the right group of coaches to take on the kind of outlandish/polarizing player. Lynn and Bradley are both huge "father figure" type mentors and really thrive on taking guys in and making them want to play hard for them, especially with Shady McCoy's quote about Lynn that basically said "he's the last guy on earth I want to disappoint". I think despite the newness, the mentality and types of guys we have on this staff are conductive to bringing in some players like that.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

Last edited by Duffman57 on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

I really don't like King as a deep middle FS. I don't think he's athletic enough at all. He's got very limited burst and because of that, his range isn't going to be good enough if you stick him as a single high FS. Honestly if you wanted to go with another option (who IIRC is still on the board right now), Tedric Thompson is going to be a beast in that single high FS role. He's sort of like Tashaun Gipson or Tre Boston. His athleticism didn't really measure up, but he plays WAY faster than that, and shows really good cover skills, crazy range and incredible rout recognition.

I disagree with this analysis. King's burst and agility are strong parts of his game. His weak point is top-end speed. His athletic profile is pretty similar to Jairus Byrd's coming out of Oregon.

Quote:
I'm surprised you think that Baker'd be misused as a single high FS TBH. I think he's really good there, and you can roll him down into the slot with 3 S packages. Earl Thomas does a lot of that in Seattle's current defense, and I think they can play similar roles, but ultimately I think he's much more Mathieu than Swearinger. His range to the ball is crazy and you can do so much with him.

Washington rarely used him in deep coverage (in the games I watched). When they did, he didn't stand out to me. He was at his best when in the box or attacking downhill.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:

I disagree with this analysis. King's burst and agility are strong parts of his game. His weak point is top-end speed. His athletic profile is pretty similar to Jairus Byrd's coming out of Oregon.

Quote:

Washington rarely used him in deep coverage (in the games I watched). When they did, he didn't stand out to me. He was at his best when in the box or attacking downhill.

Honestly, Baker played the exact same position that Earl Thomas did in college. While he was a S, he mostly played either as a hang defender or a slot CB. But when they did put him in a deep role, his range was crazy. I don't think he'd have any problem playing a single high FS role and he has the ability to shift down over receivers in the slot.

I don't think he has the closing burst or ball skills that Byrd did TBH. Athletic profile is somewhat similar, but Byrd had some ridiculous skills finding the ball, and I just don't see them in King from some of what I've seen.

Also I edited my last post to include the other stuff, I hit submit too soon, and you got to the comment before I could edit it...lol

MrDrew wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
With the 152nd pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select...

Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Code: 4421 - Ishmael Zamora - WR - Baylor

Not a need, but I felt the value was too good to pass on. Chargers get another H/W/S guy at WR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Not a need, but I felt the value was too good to pass on. Chargers get another H/W/S guy at WR.

Wait so you say "now isn't the time to bring in bad character guys" and then you go out and draft Zamora? The dude doens't even run routs on half the plays he's out there, and was caught on tape beating the hell out of his dog. Seriously? I can get over some issues, but i had to turn off the tape for Zamora multiple times, because on multiple passing plays in the first minute or two of the video he didn't even Jog a rout on a passing play.....

MrDrew wrote:
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

Ishmael Zamora WR Baylor

Wait so you say "now isn't the time to bring in bad character guys" and then you go out and draft Zamora? The dude doens't even run routs on half the plays he's out there, and was caught on tape beating the hell out of his dog. Seriously? I can get over some issues, but i had to turn off the tape for Zamora multiple times, because on multiple passing plays in the first minute or two of the video he didn't even Jog a rout on a passing play.....

There's a huge difference between drafting an uber talented guy with character concerns in the 2nd and doing the same thing in the 5th. The Chargers are deep at WR for now. They have time to develop Zamora, and if he doesn't pan out, it's not a big deal. On the other hand, using a top 40 pick on a guy who admittedly refused to listen to coaches and carry out his assignments (on top of often not giving full effort) is a very different situation.

If McDowell were available in the 4th, I'd have taken him no questions asked. There's a time and place to take risks, and there's a time and place to take the safe pick.

BTW, him not running the routes is part of Baylor's system. Admittedly, K.D. Cannon gives better effort than Zamora, and it is disappointing, but the coaches instruct the WRs to not run routes in those situations to conserve energy. Yes, it gives me pause. But it gives me pause in the 2nd round, not in the 5th round. He's a 6'4" 220 pound WR with off the charts physical attributes, the ability to snatch the ball at its highest point, a good pair of mitts, and a willingness to use his size and strength to create separation and bully CBs.

Yea, I'll take the risk on a kid like that in the 5th. I'll take the risk on a kid like McDowell in the 5th. But in the top 40 picks, I'm going to be very hesitant to take a kid who admits that he refused to listen to his coaches, refused to carry out his assignments, and didn't give full effort on every snap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
With the 190th pick in the 2017 NFL Draft, the Los Angeles Chargers select...

T.J. Logan HB/KR North Carolina

Code: 4881 - T.J. Logan - RB - North Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: