You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Thoughts Top 30 WR'S of All Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mdonnelly21


Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Posts: 886
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Thoughts Top 30 WR'S of All Time Reply with quote

Peak, Prime, Career Value & Accomplishments.

#1. Jerry Rice
#2. Randy Moss
#3. Terrell Owens
#4. Calvin Johnson
#5. Michael Irvin
#6. Tory Holt
#7. Marvin Harrison
#8. Isaac Bruce
#9. Chris Carter
#10. Larry Fitzgerald
H/M
#11. Andre Johnson
#12. Steve Smith
#13. James Lofton
#14. Steve Largent
#15. Art Monk
#16. Irving Fryer
#17. Andre Reed
#18. Lance Alworth
#19. Raymond Berry
#20. Fred Biletnikoff
#21. Tim Brown
#22. Reggie Wayne
#23. Hines Ward
#24. Dan Maynard
#25. Sterling Sharpe
#26. Cliff Branch
#27. Jimmy Smith
#28. Antonio Brown
#29. Julio Jones
#30. Chad Johnson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BarnettOSU


Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 211
Location: Oregon
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Hutson?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pugger


Joined: 01 May 2010
Posts: 14803
Location: Green Bay for the summer.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarnettOSU wrote:
Don Hutson?


People forget about him because he played before the vast majority of us were even born. It would be kinda fun to go back in a time machine and be able to see him play in his prime. He was so far ahead of his time that his numbers were ridiculous and his 99 TD record stood for 45 years. I believe he still holds 13 NFL records even tho he retired in 1945. We have to remember back then they only played 10 games in a season instead of 16 today.

I think James Lofton should be higher on the list in this thread. Unfortunately for him he played on some dreadful Packers teams all those years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NoJobBob


Joined: 06 Aug 2014
Posts: 761
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 1-3.

Think the majority of your top 12 should be above Calvin Johnson.

There is no chance in heck that Irvin was better than Carter, much less 5 spots better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedRider


Joined: 24 Mar 2016
Posts: 484
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty fair list overall. My biggest complaint would be Irvin, Holt, and Bruce over Carter, Fitz, and Steve Smith.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DirtyDez


Joined: 15 Oct 2010
Posts: 16150
Location: the Arizona desert
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the argument against Fitz being top-5 is. Btw he's not done yet.
_________________

mike23md
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Crickett


Joined: 27 Nov 2004
Posts: 4904
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
I'm not sure what the argument against Fitz being top-5 is. Btw he's not done yet.


Other receivers were better/excelled in more difficult (for WR's) to play eras.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 8743
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irvin's 3 Super Bowls must matter a lot considering his peak and prime is below the majority of players on that list. I'd put Brandon Marshall over Chad Johnson.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlaqOptic


Joined: 14 Feb 2007
Posts: 43632
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing Anquan Boldin and Don Hutson
_________________
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Quote:
I like PFF.

Go straight to hell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 22849
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
I'm not sure what the argument against Fitz being top-5 is. Btw he's not done yet.


Would you say there is an argument against Andre Johnson being top 5?
_________________


Be Humble. Sit Down.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank-O


Joined: 20 Jun 2012
Posts: 2289
Location: Wisconsin - Cheeseland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sterling Sharpe is say too low
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetzger


Joined: 22 Nov 2014
Posts: 3382
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Irvin's 3 Super Bowls must matter a lot considering his peak and prime is below the majority of players on that list. I'd put Brandon Marshall over Chad Johnson.


You think so? IMO the thing that holds him back is the fact that his career bulk stats aren't huge due to retiring at 33 from a spinal cord injury. Very few receivers can match his combination of bulk production and efficiency in his prime years (91-95).

In those 5 seasons the only receiver with more yards than him was Jerry Rice, and Irvin averaged more yards per target and had more first downs (while Jerry has a sizeable TD advantage over pretty much everyone).

In fact, the only players in NFL history that had more receiving yards in any 5 season stretch than Irvin did are Rice, CJ, Antonio Brown, Torry Holt, and Marvin Harrison. And the only one of those guys who can match his yards per target efficiency is Rice.

The fact that he brought it in the postseason is just a bonus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Malik


Joined: 18 Dec 2011
Posts: 8743
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetzger wrote:
Malik wrote:
Irvin's 3 Super Bowls must matter a lot considering his peak and prime is below the majority of players on that list. I'd put Brandon Marshall over Chad Johnson.


You think so? IMO the thing that holds him back is the fact that his career bulk stats aren't huge due to retiring at 33 from a spinal cord injury. Very few receivers can match his combination of bulk production and efficiency in his prime years (91-95).

In those 5 seasons the only receiver with more yards than him was Jerry Rice, and Irvin averaged more yards per target and had more first downs (while Jerry has a sizeable TD advantage over pretty much everyone).

In fact, the only players in NFL history that had more receiving yards in any 5 season stretch than Irvin did are Rice, CJ, Antonio Brown, Torry Holt, and Marvin Harrison. And the only one of those guys who can match his yards per target efficiency is Rice.

The fact that he brought it in the postseason is just a bonus.


Those 5 straight years are impressive. A lot of those guys have 7 or 8 seasons total. It doesn't help that his touchdown numbers are just paltry. Granted that's in very large part because of Emmitt getting like 15 a year and the passing offense overall never having more than 500 attempts a season. The efficiency argument has persuaded me though. Definitely should be top 10.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CP3MVP


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 1821
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irvin played his entire Prime on run first teams with a Qb who averaged less than 400 attempts per season. He never got to play in one of those wide open chuck the ball around the lot offenses. Which makes his numbers even more impressive
_________________
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:
He went from top ten to not mentioned at all

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mdonnelly21


Joined: 11 Jun 2012
Posts: 886
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I will have to admit I did forget about Don Huston simply because he played so long ago it's difficult to really know where he stacks up.

If you purely on his on his domination in his ERA you could probably argue he's he's anywhere from 1-3

I also probably would take B.Marshall over Chad's career but that's touch.

I did also forget Anquan Boldin and he would be in the upper 30's a notches ahead of Chad's career.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group