Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Branden Albert Released - UPDATE, Not Released, Trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-branden-albert-20170219-story,amp.html

Looking like Julius for Albert with restructures for both likely.

El Ramster on the sig
SuperDolfan13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-branden-albert-20170219-story,amp.html

Was Thomas also on the brink of being released?

^Props to Waldo
"So the last shall be first, and first shall be last." Matthew 20:16
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperDolfan13 wrote:
.Buzz wrote:

Was Thomas also on the brink of being released?

Lot of speculation but who knows. Not quite to the effect of what it was like with Albert and you guys...

El Ramster on the sig
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Maddogg wrote:
Julius Thomas is now a slow lumbering tight end. You take a step back at the position with him on your roster, he is far removed from his days with the Broncos. I would stand firm, 4th round choice. The Jags know he is a big step up from Beachum.

I think a 4th is unrealistic as he was on the verge of being cut outright. I'd be ecstatic to get a 5th.

But it'll probably be a straight-up player swap for two guys who would be otherwise cut. Albert and House makes the most sense

If my understanding is correct, it would add about $4m in cap room and competition at CB, allowing more draft assets to be put into DE / LB / OL.

Hmmm... trade for a CB on a 3-13 team that couldn't get on the field after Colvins suspension was lifted, falling to #5 on the depth chart, with a 6 million dollar cap number for 2017 with no dead money, the Jags will cut him. If we trade for him thats insanity.

You guys damn near cut him. You lost all your bargaining. It's obvious you guys want to get Tunsil in at LT and Albert isn't playing LG.

You aren't getting a 4th rd pick for a guy on that salary at that age with his injury history. You'd get a late pick or a swap for another guy on a solid sized salary who may need a change of scenery like Julius or House.

As for House, he played solid last year for this team and broke our PBU record. Also, our defense (pass defense in particular) was very, very good last year. Ramsey and Amukamara weren't coming off the field with how they played. Seemed very obvious House was in the dog house for some reason to.

Is he special? No. But you aren't getting some high end piece for a 32 yr old LT with injury problems.

Cutting Albert was a salary cap move. Even wth Alberts injury history he has been a superior performer compared to Thomas over the last few years.

You're probably correct that it will be a player for player even up trade, but I don't think it's improbable that we will ask for more compensation than just Thomas for Albert. You guys are probably going to give Albert a pay raise in garaunteed salary and Thomas is likely going to take a pay cut for us.

Even though we were prepared to get nothing more than cap space by releasing Albert, we still have some bargaining power in the trade. If Albert hits the open market then you guys would probably have to pay more for him. Especially with this draft class not being particularly strong or deep at the OT position.

Last edited by green4gulf on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel good about this trade.

He was going to be cut anyway, and we addressed a position of need with a player our HC has worked with successfully before.

I still want to re-sign Sims, because Thomas is by no means anything close to a sure thing.

Sims - Thomas - Gray is a reasonable trio. Duarte on the PS again?
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:

He was going to be cut anyway, and we addressed a position of need with a player our HC has worked with successfully before.

I still want to re-sign Sims, because Thomas is by no means anything close to a sure thing.

I agree. I think that TE lineup would be an improvement over last year. I excpect to see Sims and Thomas in a double TE set to pound it out in the run game and try to keep defenses honest in the passing game.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

I agree. I think that TE lineup would be an improvement over last year. I excpect to see Sims and Thomas in a double TE set to pound it out in the run game and try to keep defenses honest in the passing game.

FWIW, Jags fans have been saying Thomas looks slow and is a terrible blocker. How much of that had to do with his multiple injuries, who knows? He has to be better than the ghost of Jordan Cameron.. right?
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really do hate the idea of bringing in Thomas unless he agrees to substantially lower his salary, which seems unlikely. It's a deep TE draft this year and I'd rather we try to pick one up that way. Thomas has never played a full 16 games in his career and he keeps playing in fewer and fewer games each year.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
I really do hate the idea of bringing in Thomas unless he agrees to substantially lower his salary, which seems unlikely. It's a deep TE draft this year and I'd rather we try to pick one up that way. Thomas has never played a full 16 games in his career and he keeps playing in fewer and fewer games each year.

Thomas and Sims graded out very similarly last season and both missed games to injury. Very possible we let Sims walk because of Thomas presence on the roster and draft a TE in the 4th round or later.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133827814.html

Thank goodness. It's Albert for a pick. At least that is what Armando is saying.

green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article133827814.html

Thank goodness. It's Albert for a pick. At least that is what Armando is saying.

I'm guessing that Thomas wasn't willing to take as big of a pay cut as we wanted. Also guessing we start going after resigning Sims, since he grades out similar to Thomas and should come much cheaper.
Daryl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a good trade in my opinion. Here we are throwing away another pick for a washed up player. Classic Tannebum, yes i'm aware its just a seventh but so what they would have cut Thomas and we could have still had him but instead we throw away another pick. There is a million better options in the draft. This guy will be 30 soon and we will be shopping for a TE AGAIN thats not the way to build the team
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the way it played out is Albert for a late round 2018 pick. Thomas to Miami for a 2017 7th round pick and a restructured contract. And Odrick was released.

I would still love to see the Phins bring back Odrick to play DE. He was very good against the run, and even though he isn't a pass rusher, you still need players who can rotate in for run support.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
So the way it played out is Albert for a late round 2018 pick. Thomas to Miami for a 2017 7th round pick and a restructured contract. And Odrick was released.

I would still love to see the Phins bring back Odrick to play DE. He was very good against the run, and even though he isn't a pass rusher, you still need players who can rotate in for run support.

Ditto!! If the price is right, Odrick would be a nice run stopper at RDE and a good rotational guy at DT to line up next to Suh in a speed package.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
This is not a good trade in my opinion. Here we are throwing away another pick for a washed up player. Classic Tannebum, yes i'm aware its just a seventh but so what they would have cut Thomas and we could have still had him but instead we throw away another pick. There is a million better options in the draft. This guy will be 30 soon and we will be shopping for a TE AGAIN thats not the way to build the team

Actually, potentially having a veteran TE for what is almost assuredly no more than 2 years is a perfect way to build the team. The acquisition of Thomas doesn't preclude the drafting of a TE this year. Now a developmental TE like Gerald Everett or a guy like Jake Butt who is coming off an ACL tear are possibilities in the middle rounds. They can take their time getting healthy and acclimated to the league rather than being thrust into a starting role and expecting them to excel. It does make it less likely that the 1st rounder is going to be a TE though. Njoku. Crying or Very sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: