Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

LT Branden Albert Released - UPDATE, Not Released, Trade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Trading Albert for a similarly-priced CB makes zero sense to me. I'm perfectly content going into 2017 with Maxwell/Lippett/Howard/McCain/Lucas and then spending a pick somewhere to get another young CB. Get a DE or a LB for Albert if you must acquire a player for him. If nobody is willing to offer up anybody worth acquiring at LB or DE, deal him for the highest draft pick you can get, save the money, and turn around and sign one of the good OGs in FA.

McCain and Lucas are not good. If last year was any indication, Howard and Maxwell might not seem too reliable, health-wise. Howard and Lippett are promising, but still developing. If we're fully ready to move on form Albert, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on a quality vet CB.

I agree. The hope would be that whatever CB picked up (it's a deep CB draft) would be able to vault ahead of both of them and be the #4 CB. But if not, it's still not the end of the world. Put Safety help where it is needed for the handful of plays that those 2 may be needed. And let's be honest about the quality of CB that would be acquired for Albert; it would be a Maxwell-type player. One who is overpaid and underperforming. I don't think that is a particularly good use of funds, given that there are much bigger holes. Maxwell did get better as the season went on, but he's certainly not worth what he's being paid.

Jonjog wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me? Why cut Albert? Yes, I know he's making good money, but who are you going to go out and get? Draft a rookie with a high pick? Some vet (we've tried that before). With all the problems we've had with our O-line, why not keep him for a year as an insurance policy? I'd bet my life that not all 5 starting linemen on week one won't miss a snap all season. We're close to having a really solid line.

If we can get a position of need for him, fine. But why just let him go?

Who would they go out and get? There are a number of Guards available in FA this offseason that would make a ton of sense for Miami. The money given to Albert to play in half the games each year can be given to one of them. Guys that have much better injury histories, and possibly even better upsides. Certainly guys that are younger and could be with the team for the next 3-5 years, unlike Albert.

After a rocky start, Maxwell graded out pretty well by PFF. (Top 20 CB?) Maybe not 10M per year type good, but he's gone after the 2017 season. I think it'd be smart to acquire a future veteran leader of the secondary. Plus, Brady will be around a few more years, so having 4 nice CB's on the roster would be justified, IMO.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:
Trading Albert for a similarly-priced CB makes zero sense to me. I'm perfectly content going into 2017 with Maxwell/Lippett/Howard/McCain/Lucas and then spending a pick somewhere to get another young CB. Get a DE or a LB for Albert if you must acquire a player for him. If nobody is willing to offer up anybody worth acquiring at LB or DE, deal him for the highest draft pick you can get, save the money, and turn around and sign one of the good OGs in FA.

McCain and Lucas are not good. If last year was any indication, Howard and Maxwell might not seem too reliable, health-wise. Howard and Lippett are promising, but still developing. If we're fully ready to move on form Albert, I wouldn't mind rolling the dice on a quality vet CB.

I agree. The hope would be that whatever CB picked up (it's a deep CB draft) would be able to vault ahead of both of them and be the #4 CB. But if not, it's still not the end of the world. Put Safety help where it is needed for the handful of plays that those 2 may be needed. And let's be honest about the quality of CB that would be acquired for Albert; it would be a Maxwell-type player. One who is overpaid and underperforming. I don't think that is a particularly good use of funds, given that there are much bigger holes. Maxwell did get better as the season went on, but he's certainly not worth what he's being paid.

Jonjog wrote:
Can someone please explain this to me? Why cut Albert? Yes, I know he's making good money, but who are you going to go out and get? Draft a rookie with a high pick? Some vet (we've tried that before). With all the problems we've had with our O-line, why not keep him for a year as an insurance policy? I'd bet my life that not all 5 starting linemen on week one won't miss a snap all season. We're close to having a really solid line.

If we can get a position of need for him, fine. But why just let him go?

Who would they go out and get? There are a number of Guards available in FA this offseason that would make a ton of sense for Miami. The money given to Albert to play in half the games each year can be given to one of them. Guys that have much better injury histories, and possibly even better upsides. Certainly guys that are younger and could be with the team for the next 3-5 years, unlike Albert.

After a rocky start, Maxwell graded out pretty well by PFF. (Top 20 CB?) Maybe not 10M per year type good, but he's gone after the 2017 season. I think it'd be smart to acquire a future veteran leader of the secondary. Plus, Brady will be around a few more years, so having 4 nice CB's on the roster would be justified, IMO.

It would be absolutely smart, but the holes at OG/DE/LB have to be given first priority, IMO. I'm just assuming that they would be bringing in a CB making $8-10 million a year. If they brought in a decent vet with a lower salary, fantastic, but I don't think Albert would garner such a player. That $8-10 million would potentially get Zeitler, or at least the vast majority of his salary.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
hrubes20

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the CB talk is probably moot, as there is a bunch of smoke regarding a deal with the Jags for Julius Thomas. I really hope that isn't true though. Thomas is as good of a bet to stay healthy as Jordan Cameron was, and he's making a bunch of money. It would be trading one expense player who can't stay healthy, for another expensive player who is healthy even less.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Maddogg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Brandon Albert to the Jaguars for a 4th round pick?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Kidnapped by the Jaguars in 2015
Joe Philbin " I could take the 2014 New England Patriots and go 8-8 last year"
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hrubes20 wrote:
But the CB talk is probably moot, as there is a bunch of smoke regarding a deal with the Jags for Julius Thomas. I really hope that isn't true though. Thomas is as good of a bet to stay healthy as Jordan Cameron was, and he's making a bunch of money. It would be trading one expense player who can't stay healthy, for another expensive player who is healthy even less.

I agree. If we do trade Albert for Thomas then I hope we get a draft pick too. Maybe a 3rd, at least a 4th.
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

I agree. If we do trade Albert for Thomas then I hope we get a draft pick too. Maybe a 3rd, at least a 4th.

In Jacksonville, the media has mentioned Jared Odrick as being part of the trade. So Thomas and Odrick for Albert and a late round pick type of deal. I know that Odrick was a very good player for us. They are saying that with the new defense the Jags will use, Odrick will not be a scheme fit.

I would also like to comment about why trade Albert? Albert is now a progress stopper, and he is a good enough player to deserve a chance with another team. He shouldn't be forced to ride the pine as an insurance policy. If we want that, we can resign Bushrod as a reserve.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

In Jacksonville, the media has mentioned Jared Odrick as being part of the trade. So Thomas and Odrick for Albert and a late round pick type of deal. I know that Odrick was a very good player for us. They are saying that with the new defense the Jags will use, Odrick will not be a scheme fit.

I would also like to comment about why trade Albert? Albert is now a progress stopper, and he is a good enough player to deserve a chance with another team. He shouldn't be forced to ride the pine as an insurance policy. If we want that, we can resign Bushrod as a reserve.

If Odrick ends up back in Miami I'm curious if he is in the DT rotation with Phillips or a starter at RDE opposite of Wake.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
ericsvibe wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
hrubes20 wrote:

If Odrick ends up back in Miami I'm curious if he is in the DT rotation with Phillips or a starter at RDE opposite of Wake.

I never even thought of that. Hmm

Hopefully this thing goes through, in whatever form, in the next few days so we can adjust our mocks accordingly.
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us trading a pick for Albert. I could see a house for Albert swap though.

How is he at run blocking?

^^el ramster^^
.Buzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys were close to cutting Albert, I don't see you getting anything more than a conditional pick or a player for player swap like Odrick/Thomas/House.

El Ramster on the sig
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
You guys were close to cutting Albert, I don't see you getting anything more than a conditional pick or a player for player swap like Odrick/Thomas/House.

I'll take Julius Thomas for Branden Albert, straight up tbh.

Want nothing to do with House... Odrick is a decent player but we don't need him

Nacho Simulation Football League
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius Thomas is now a slow lumbering tight end. You take a step back at the position with him on your roster, he is far removed from his days with the Broncos. I would stand firm, 4th round choice. The Jags know he is a big step up from Beachum.

cddolphin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
Julius Thomas is now a slow lumbering tight end. You take a step back at the position with him on your roster, he is far removed from his days with the Broncos. I would stand firm, 4th round choice. The Jags know he is a big step up from Beachum.

I think a 4th is unrealistic as he was on the verge of being cut outright. I'd be ecstatic to get a 5th.

But it'll probably be a straight-up player swap for two guys who would be otherwise cut. Albert and House makes the most sense

If my understanding is correct, it would add about $4m in cap room and competition at CB, allowing more draft assets to be put into DE / LB / OL.
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

I think a 4th is unrealistic as he was on the verge of being cut outright. I'd be ecstatic to get a 5th.

But it'll probably be a straight-up player swap for two guys who would be otherwise cut. Albert and House makes the most sense

If my understanding is correct, it would add about $4m in cap room and competition at CB, allowing more draft assets to be put into DE / LB / OL.

Hmmm... trade for a CB on a 3-13 team that couldn't get on the field after Colvins suspension was lifted, falling to #5 on the depth chart, with a 6 million dollar cap number for 2017 with no dead money, the Jags will cut him. If we trade for him thats insanity.

.Buzz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maddogg wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
Maddogg wrote:

Hmmm... trade for a CB on a 3-13 team that couldn't get on the field after Colvins suspension was lifted, falling to #5 on the depth chart, with a 6 million dollar cap number for 2017 with no dead money, the Jags will cut him. If we trade for him thats insanity.

You guys damn near cut him. You lost all your bargaining. It's obvious you guys want to get Tunsil in at LT and Albert isn't playing LG.

You aren't getting a 4th rd pick for a guy on that salary at that age with his injury history. You'd get a late pick or a swap for another guy on a solid sized salary who may need a change of scenery like Julius or House.

As for House, he played solid last year for this team and broke our PBU record. Also, our defense (pass defense in particular) was very, very good last year. Ramsey and Amukamara weren't coming off the field with how they played. Seemed very obvious House was in the dog house for some reason to.

Is he special? No. But you aren't getting some high end piece for a 32 yr old LT with injury problems.

El Ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: