Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Total Control Mock Draft II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
DirtyJersey9er wrote:
Here are some suggestions:

Do anything you can to get Jimmy G as long as it doesn't include just giving away the number 2 pick(even a pick swap would be better).

If the price gets too high for Jimmy G I'd suggest going the route of signing Hoyer/Schaub to take the beatings this year and pick Mahomes in round 2.(possibly even trading down to get an extra 2nd).

If Shanahan is bringing out the ZBS keep Beadles and put him at RG. Put Garnett at LG(though I'd say you can go the other way around too). Let Brown start at RT the other year. If you can keep Kerley I'd do so. If you intend on having Ellington in the slot at least Kerley will be able to handle KR/PR duties to protect Ellington from more injury. If he gets hurt Kerley is a really good Slot WR who will be even better if we get upgrades at WR. Resign Hodges as well.

I would also suggest making runs at any combination of the following Free Agents aside from the QBs mentioned(I am going to split these into tiers):

Make the biggest runs for
WR: Alshon Jeffrey is priority 1 here. He will be cheaper and won't be tagged. This is a player where I would be ok with giving as big a contract as possible to so as to get him to change his mind. I feel he is a chase the money guy. So offering as much as possible will entice him as he is young enough to do that.
DT: Kwann Short would help on the 4-3 Front. I know we also have to find places for Buckner and Armstead but one of those two can be disruptive enough to play end as well. Even if we don't get him just making the effort will show this team is more willing to pay Free Agents and dispell the cheap label we got during the Baalke tenure.
DT: Calais Campbell is old enough where Arizona might let him go just because they are too busy focusing on Jones. It makes Arizona weaker and gives us a chance to groom younger talent for a year or so.
DE: Jason Pierre-Paul or Chandler Jones. Both are 28 so they will still have a few years left in them. It might give us a ton of pass rushers but considering Lynch has shown flashes of greatness but flashes of issues as well it wouldn't hurt to get a full time starting DE. You can never have enough pass rushers in this league. Both are likely to go for a big money deal as they have already won rings. Both would also give the team a veteran leader who has won a championship to help with younger pieces on the line.
CB/S: I don't think we need any Safeties as we are deep there. Trumaine Johnson would be a good "We are serious about winning" player to attempt to sign and give an offer to.

Second Tier(This doesn't mean these players are less important. These guys might have the same impact as the players above but might be easier to get)
WR: Kenny Britt(worth a proove it deal), Josh Gordon(likely to be signed to a low risk deal since he had his best seasons with Shanahan), Cordarrelle Paterson(mostly for his return skills)
DT: Alan Branch(older but great run stuffer, will be a shorter contract to groom a Run stuffing DT), Nick Fairley(likely to be a one year proove it), Dominique Easley(DT that can rush the passer, if we make an early run while everyone is concentrating on higher ranked DTs this could happen).
DE: Charles Johnson/Mario Addison(guys close to or over 30 who can be signed to a short team deal to add depth to the pass rush), Jabaal Sheard(has a ring and would be good for Pass rush depth, decent to average against the run),
ILB: Dont'a Hightower(only on this list because of his injury history, otherwise more of a top priority FA)
CB: Prince Amukumara(worth a shot at CB after this season), Morris Claiborne(Only because of the play this season, of we pick a CB from this list go for Prince first as there is no guarantee he will not revert back to pre-2016 form)

Let us know who other teams cut as well during this process?

Draft
I would suggest either staying put at 2 or trading down for more picks.

If we stay at 2: I am going to assume the Browns aren't dumb here and they pick Garrett. I would look into the following for the draft(in order):
DT: Jonothan Allen(Can be groomed for most of the year then dominate year 2)
DE: Solomon Thomas(same)
WR: Mike Williams(Groom him for a year and then put him in place of Torrey next year)
CB: Marshon Lattimore(If CB is considered big enough of a priority)
RB: Leonard Fournette(merely if we consider the possibility of needing another talented RB. Another weapon for Shananhan at RB isn't the worst thing)

If we trade down for extra picks:
WR: Mike Williams(would still be available most likely)
WR: Corey Davis(Would probably even consider him at 2 if his stock rises)
QB: Patrick Mahomes(I suggested him as a 2nd rounder but he could very well rise to a higher pick based on the lack of depth this year)
WR/RB: Christian McCaffrey
QB: Deshone Kizer(if he is a low pick)
CB: Sidney Jones
DE: Taco Charlton
DT: Malik McDowell

Round 2
Consider the following
QB: Patrick Mahomes(if he doesn't rise to the first round), Watson(if he falls this far)
WR: John Ross
WR: Juju Smith-Schuster
CB: Jalen Tabor(might even be a late 1st with a trade down as mentioned above)
WR: Curtis Samuel
DE: Charles Harris
DE: Dawuane Smoot
DE: Tim Williams

Sorry for the length of this post. Like I said these are suggestions you can consider or critique as you wish.

Thanks for the response man.
I would imagine the likes of Short , Jones etc will be tagged.
Tried for Cousins, not happening.
Talking trades with N.E about Jimmy G but no luck as of yet.

You're Welcome
I think you are right with the tags too hence why I put a few options each position. Campbell and JPP are options I am not entirely sure the Cards and Giants tag on D-Line.

Like I said keep us updated of cuts and I will respond with some changes to strategy suggestions.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
big9erfan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you guys are kicking around a lot of details I thought I'd add one point. We have 3 ILBs signed for next year. Bowman is coming off a serious injury and we have no idea what we have in him at this point. One is Armstrong who has some potential, but frankly I don't see him as ever being anything other than a backup and ST guy. And the third is Skov. I've admired him since I first saw him play in high school. He is pure heart and desire, but sadly little in the way of athletic talent. I think he's a marginal NFL player at all let alone someone you want to count on.

Bottom line is that after QB, ILB is a position that must be addressed in the offseason. Even if we use a pick in the first 3 rounds on an ILB I still think it's essential to sign a FA ILB. So I think you should consider who's available and plan to add one. Hightower is a possibility, but there are others out there that should be considered too. Zach Brown finally had a good year. And Kiko, while not as good as his press clippings, would be a solid pickup. Maybe Orr or Minter should be on the list to check out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get three bids and one resign in round 1 of free agency.
I have some targets in mind but all your suggestions are being noted.
Jimmy G is a no go.
I offered him #2 for 32+64 and jimmy g (this gives him a top 5 draft pick value) and he wasn't interested.
He wanted Armstead and my second for jimmy and his second.
I feel like that is to much to give for a QB with minimal starting experience.
What do you guys think?

^^^
Deadpulse on the Sig
DirtyJersey9er

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
I get three bids and one resign in round 1 of free agency.
I have some targets in mind but all your suggestions are being noted.
Jimmy G is a no go.
I offered him #2 for 32+64 and jimmy g (this gives him a top 5 draft pick value) and he wasn't interested.
He wanted Armstead and my second for jimmy and his second.
I feel like that is to much to give for a QB with minimal starting experience.
What do you guys think?

Way too much especially considering last time New England sent a backup to a QB Needy Team they sent Vrabel and Cassell to KC for a 34th overall pick.

I have a new Sports Blog check it at:
http://buttfumblesports.wordpress.com/
DTMW78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Bradford has been cut by the Vikings.
Another option for QB.
What do you think,should I make a player for him?

^^^
Deadpulse on the Sig
DTMW78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade
49ers give Arik Armstead
Colts give Donte Moncrief + round 3 pick 79

What do you think?
I like Moncrief a lot and was really hoping we could have drafted him when he came out.
Forge is GM for the Colts so blame him if you don't like it.

^^^
Deadpulse on the Sig
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
Trade
49ers give Arik Armstead

What do you think?
I like Moncrief a lot and was really hoping we could have drafted him when he came out.

Kind of a steal for him, AA was rumored to be the best defender on the field during TC before injury and could have been an important/valuable piece of our defense at a cheap price for 3 more years. Moncrief appears to have some talent but whether it be inability to make full use of that talent or inability to remain healthy for a season he doesn't inspire much. More excited about the 3rd rounder but I could see why you'd pull the trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
DTMW78 wrote:
Trade
49ers give Arik Armstead

What do you think?

Kind of a steal for him, AA was rumored to be the best defender on the field during TC before injury and could have been an important/valuable piece of our defense at a cheap price for 3 more years. Moncrief appears to have some talent but whether it be inability to make full use of that talent or inability to remain healthy for a season he doesn't inspire much. More excited about the 3rd rounder but I could see why you'd pull the trigger.

That's interesting. Even as the GM of the other team, I'm the other direction. I'm not a huge fan of Armstead, but my plan was to try and grab him along with Sheldon Richardson to really beef that d-line. I was actually trying to grab more from DTMW lol. Armstead has just never really inspired me a ton (I wasn't a fan of his as a prospect, and nothing has really changed my opinion of him yet). The training camp stories are a dime a dozen, so I put no stock in those at all. I mean, Armstead has flashed, but I've said it before, I don't know what really is there. I know J disagrees with me on that, but given his rookie year was such a small sample size, there's not much there to credit. There's a possibility that he never really amounts to a ton.

The deciding factor was something you actually alluded to in your post - if he pans out, and obviously the upside there is big, I have 3 years of team control.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly I'd much rather take the upside of AA than the upside, if there really is one, for Moncrief. To me Moncrief seems like an average NFL WR with no real niche to excel in. The fact he's been playing with Luck for however many games he's actually been healthy for is really the best thing he has going for him. Admittedly Armstead could amount to nothing, as you eluded to there's not very much in the way of actual game footage and playing time, but I'd still take my chances with him than Moncrief. The 3rd rounder is nice but now Buckner better be what we all hope he can become and some depth better be added to the DL or we've just added yet another need. I would have been more inclined to get Dorsett and a 3rd or even 4th for Armstead, atleast then Shanahan might be able to use him for something and get some production out of his speed in a Gabriel type role.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Exactly I'd much rather take the upside of AA than the upside, if there really is one, for Moncrief. To me Moncrief seems like an average NFL WR with no real niche to excel in. The fact he's been playing with Luck for however many games he's actually been healthy for is really the best thing he has going for him. Admittedly Armstead could amount to nothing, as you eluded to there's not very much in the way of actual game footage and playing time, but I'd still take my chances with him than Moncrief. The 3rd rounder is nice but now Buckner better be what we all hope he can become and some depth better be added to the DL or we've just added yet another need. I would have been more inclined to get Dorsett and a 3rd or even 4th for Armstead, atleast then Shanahan might be able to use him for something and get some production out of his speed in a Gabriel type role.

I offered interest in Dorsett first Laughing Moncrief is easily the better player right now, so I can understand that.

The funny thing, as GM of the colts, I really want to push all in for them in this and the 49ers had a few people I thought could help. I was very close to offering something that was more or less structured like this:

#15 for Armstead & #34 (gives Armstead early second value, which was what was requested)
Moncrief for Reid
Austin Blythe & a 6th for Torrey Smith.

Ended up not doing it on the hopes that I could slightly trade down in the first and re-coup that third rounder. I also wanted to try as hard as possible to include Dwayne Allen in any deal since I know the tight end situation here Laughing

DTMW78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:

Moncrief has some wheels on him too.
Plus he has the size you would want for a outside guy and sticky hands to go with it.
He's had some injuries but then so has AA and with the change in system he just seemed like a square peg.

^^^
Deadpulse on the Sig
Forge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTMW78 wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

Moncrief has some wheels on him too.
Plus he has the size you would want for a outside guy and sticky hands to go with it.
He's had some injuries but then so has AA and with the change in system he just seemed like a square peg.

Yeah, the Armstead fit in the 4-3 is going to be a bit concerning. I don't see him transitioning inside like Buckner, and he's not prototypical LDE when it comes to size. Doesn't mean he wouldn't work out.

But yeah, he's basically going into his third season in the league and played less than a full season worth of snaps. There's a ton of unknown there and the injury bug has hit him as well.

Forge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since there's no reason to post in the Colts subforum about my moves since they have 2 posts per year, don't be shocked if I randomly post things in here about what I do. Just because Laughing

Forge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I need everyone in here to convince DTMW to trade me Joe Staley.

DTMW78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Now I need everyone in here to convince DTMW to trade me Joe Staley.

Or everyone to convince you to trade me Luck Wink

^^^
Deadpulse on the Sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: