Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Maxx Williams: 2017 Breakout Candidate?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Maxx Williams: 2017 Breakout Candidate? Reply with quote

This guy gonna breakout in 2017 or nah?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. He's too small and frail to be a decent blocking TE, and he's too slow to be any type of threat in the passing game. The problem with him has been health. Seems to always pop up on the injury report. Bust, imo.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
Nah. He's too small and frail to be a decent blocking TE, and he's too slow to be any type of threat in the passing game. The problem with him has been health. Seems to always pop up on the injury report. Bust, imo.

Well, we don't know how big he is now, given that we've barely seen him in the last year. He's been on IR with a knee injury, but may have spent a lot of that time putting on muscle mass.

He has talent, he's still only 22 years old, and while the Ravens are well stocked at TE, it's with players who aren't going to be around that long. Pitta's injury history and cap number aren't in his favour, Watson should be cut and written off as a waste of money, Boyle is one failed drug test away from a year long suspension and Gilmore is injured as much as Williams.

But personally, I think Darren Waller deserves a chance to get more snaps next year. There's some real potential there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he can stay healthy, perhaps. He's not a well-rounded TE but can certainly help in the passing game. But needs to stay healthy.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
dcarey20

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a big year for him for sure. I don't know if he'll "break out" but he has to stay healthy and carve out a niche at the very least. Our TE position is totally up in the air, despite the number of bodies we have. I thought he showed some promise in his rookie year but last year really was unfortunate. Up to this point he's been kind of a wasted pick, but he's still really young.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This depends 100% on what happens with Pitta. Dennis and Maxx fill the same role at tight end as receiving (only) options and there really isn't enough snaps available for two of them with the way Baltimore uses guys at that position. They're not a team that utilizes multiple receivers there and Pitta is Flacco's favorite target so if he's able to get on the field he will be out there.

If Pitta gets cut then I think there's a good chance of Williams having a decent role next season. Otherwise there just aren't any snaps open for him. We don't really know one way or another what Maxx can do in the NFL. It would be nice to find out though.
the lone star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

Well, we don't know how big he is now, given that we've barely seen him in the last year. He's been on IR with a knee injury, but may have spent a lot of that time putting on muscle mass.

He has talent, he's still only 22 years old, and while the Ravens are well stocked at TE, it's with players who aren't going to be around that long. Pitta's injury history and cap number aren't in his favour, Watson should be cut and written off as a waste of money, Boyle is one failed drug test away from a year long suspension and Gilmore is injured as much as Williams.

But personally, I think Darren Waller deserves a chance to get more snaps next year. There's some real potential there.

Yeah, I like Waller. He was an interesting guy for me to follow during that game against NEP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
This depends 100% on what happens with Pitta. Dennis and Maxx fill the same role at tight end as receiving (only) options and there really isn't enough snaps available for two of them with the way Baltimore uses guys at that position. They're not a team that utilizes multiple receivers there and Pitta is Flacco's favorite target so if he's able to get on the field he will be out there.

If Pitta gets cut then I think there's a good chance of Williams having a decent role next season. Otherwise there just aren't any snaps open for him. We don't really know one way or another what Maxx can do in the NFL. It would be nice to find out though.

There might be room now that Steve Smith Sr. and Aiken are gone. But Ravens will probably draft a WR and give that guy some PT. Assuming he earns if of course.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
There might be room now that Steve Smith Sr. and Aiken are gone. But Ravens will probably draft a WR and give that guy some PT. Assuming he earns if of course.

I doubt we see too much more of Pitta and/or Williams flexxed out into the slot with Smith gone and Aiken probably too. It makes sense but that's just not something the team has done a whole lot of. Maybe Mornhinweg incorporates that with being able to put "his" offense in... but I doubt it. Not like Marty has any kind of quality offensive scheme.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maxx Williams is a talented TE and he had a solid rookie year for TE, he blocked well and caught the ball (Despite the bad YPC average)

Knee Injury screwed him this year, but I think it's more of a fluke injury than anything.

He'll have a solid shot to earn the no.2 TE position this year and prove he's the future at the position, Dennis Pitta always seems to be hurt (I hope he doesn't suffer a hip injury for his sake but it seems like he'll get hurt at some point again) Ben Watson will be 90% cut and if he's not idk what Ozzie is smoking. Crockett Gilmore is always injured, Boyle is a pill head, and Darren Waller is playing TE for no reason when he'd be much better as a receiver

But with the ravens luck with TEs recently, he'll rot on the bench all year and play maybe 200 snaps.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:
Maxx Williams is a talented TE and he had a solid rookie year for TE, he blocked well and caught the ball (Despite the bad YPC average)

Knee Injury screwed him this year, but I think it's more of a fluke injury than anything.

He'll have a solid shot to earn the no.2 TE position this year and prove he's the future at the position, Dennis Pitta always seems to be hurt (I hope he doesn't suffer a hip injury for his sake but it seems like he'll get hurt at some point again) Ben Watson will be 90% cut and if he's not idk what Ozzie is smoking. Crockett Gilmore is always injured, Boyle is a pill head, and Darren Waller is playing TE for no reason when he'd be much better as a receiver

But with the ravens luck with TEs recently, he'll rot on the bench all year and play maybe 200 snaps.

pitta always hurt? he's had 1 injury, albeit a terrible one. he's played 16 games in the 2 seasons prior to the injury and the season he was finally fully healthy.

Waller playing TE for no reason and should be a WR? Did you not see the guy play WR? He's far too slow to gain separation. His only shot is as a flex TE and he actually played well there.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

pitta always hurt? he's had 1 injury, albeit a terrible one. he's played 16 games in the 2 seasons prior to the injury and the season he was finally fully healthy.

Waller playing TE for no reason and should be a WR? Did you not see the guy play WR? He's far too slow to gain separation. His only shot is as a flex TE and he actually played well there.

Two seperate hip injuries and he was banged up this year.

Flex TE/Slot WR=same thing except one occasionally lines up on the LOS.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:

It was the same injury, just re-aggravated it by rushing back too quickly.

Quote:
Flex TE/Slot WR=same thing except one occasionally lines up on the LOS

Which shows that they are not the same thing. By putting him on the line we match him up more often with a LB than potentially a slot CB and therefore give him a better chance for separation.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

OleXmad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

It was the same injury, just re-aggravated it by rushing back too quickly.

Quote:
Flex TE/Slot WR=same thing except one occasionally lines up on the LOS

Which shows that they are not the same thing. By putting him on the line we match him up more often with a LB than potentially a slot CB and therefore give him a better chance for separation.

Either way, can't exactly rely on him to play 16 games because he's one wrong hit to the hip away from well ya know.

The LB is as fast as him, He has a big size advantage over the slot CB so meh.

the lone star

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not expecting big things from Maxx this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: