Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Another Mock Offseason for ya

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Another Mock Offseason for ya Reply with quote

Well I posted a mock draft maybe a month or two ago and really enjoyed your guys' feedback so I figured I'd take another shot now that our HC, GM and coaching staff and general are now in place. I'm still higher than most on Trubisky and Watson but recently have been seeing things a little different and do agree with the thought process of, our team needs to be improved everywhere before we bring in any kind of QBOTF. So here goes, would love to hear your guys' thoughts, critiques, etc.

Re-sign

- Shaun Draughn, RB - Reliable, do it all back up who remains healthy and can do just enough of everything to remain our number three.

- Jeremy Kerley, WR - While I'm not as high on him as others seem to be I do think if he plays his more appropriate WR 4 role and play as he did last year he could find a nice home somewhere in Shanny's scheme.

- Andrew Tiller, OG - Still a work in progress and he may never reach the level of play some of us thought he could but for now he is a decent back up and still has a little time to grow as a player.

- Mike Purcell, NT - I don't think he's anything special at NT but I do think he's often overlooked and underrated handling the dirty unsexy job of eating up blockers and holding his ground.

- Gerald Hodges, MLB - I've seen enough of his play to know he shouldn't be starting, but is a decent back up with good athleticism and can be a special teams contributor.

Notable Cuts

- Deandre Smelter, WR - I'm not sure he offers anything other than being 6'2" as he couldn't even earn more than a couple minutes playing time here and there in the few times he was even healthy enough to suit up. Time to ditch this Baalke experiment.

- Blake Bell, TE - Still don't know why a draft pick was ever really used on him.

- Tank Carradine, DE/OLB/DT - This experiment has run its course, not even really sure what position he's at now as it really doesn't matter cause he doesn't ever see the field.

- Ahmad Brooks, OLB/DE - While he's not terrible, he's certainly not anything we would miss either. Would free up cap space, not that we really need anymore, but more importantly with his departure would allow us to get a look at the young guys we have plus he really doesn't fit anywhere in the new scheme.

Free Agency

- Jay Cutler, QB - Not the most inspiring starting QB to trot out in week 1 but he brings the experience, natural arm talent and past success I think Shanahan is looking for in this major rebuild process. There's no arguing he is talented and maybe Shanahan can help him even out his game a bit for a couple year while we build our team up. I can't see Cousins ever seriously being considered once he's tagged and trading multiple picks for Garoppolo is a bold move for a first time HC and GM. I get the feeling that a proven QB, regardless of past successes and failures of Cutler, is exactly what those two would feel comfortable in starting of their new careers.

- Matt Schaub, QB - A recent report came out quoting Schaub as wanting to go somewhere where he might be able to start, well, this is probably his best situation unfortunately. If Cutler goes down again I doubt Shanahan throws in a green rookie when there's a QB who has so many years experience in his system.

- Alshon Jeffery, WR - Chicago won't be able to tag him again and to be honest I don't know that they would. That's a whole lot of money given to a WR who's had trouble staying on the field for whatever reasons. We on the other hand have all the cap space in the world and a dire need at WR. Specifically a guy who could possibly step in and be a number 1 for us. Might seem like a bit of a one trick pony just winning contested jump balls but I think Shanahan could get the most out of him and pairing him up with his old QB who seemed to trust him and like to go to him enough might just be enough of a draw.

- Aldrick Robinson, WR - Drafted by Washington when Shanahan was there, followed him to Atlanta and will now follow him here. An intriguing guy with good height, weight, speed numbers and he will get a chance having played in Shanny's system for a number of years and lack of talent in front of him.

- Chris Chester, OG - Another Shanahan follower who has played in his system for a number of years in both Washington and Atlanta. Gets a chance to earn a job here.

- Tyson Alualu, DT - A high motor, high energy DT who uses his quickness more than his size to beat OL. Saleh could bring him in to play his UT position in our new 4-3 under scheme we'll be running. More of a stop gap than a solution at the position but Rome wasn't built in a day and he has plenty of starting experience with some decent production.

- Mychal Kendricks, MLB - Seems I'm a bigger fan of his than most but if he can return to his 2012-2013 form than I truly feel he'd be an excellent compliment next to Bowman. Not the biggest or most physically gifted but has great instincts and at the very worst offers a quality back up and injury insurance LB at either the WILL or MIKE. Now I know the Eagles are trying to trade Kendricks but I don't think they'll find a partner for that deal and will end up cutting him to save some money, allowing us to sign him and for him to return home to Cali where he grew up and played college ball.

Draft

1st - Solomon Thomas, Stanford, DE - With the move to a 4-3 under scheme he seems almost the perfect fit for our base LDE with the ability to slide inside in a Michael Bennett type role.

2nd - Cooper Kupp, EWU, WR - Now hear me out for those doubters, has good size, runs great routes, has great hands, underrated athlete, wins contested catches more often than not and just knows how to do the little things that make WRs stand out. Other than Corey Davis he is my second favorite WR in this draft for that exact reason, understanding the nuances of what a WR needs to do in the NFL is huge and a big reason why some guys with seemingly all the talent and athletic ability never make it. The fact that he is a better athlete than most give him credit for and can hurt secondaries at every level just seals the deal for me.

3rd - Brad Kaaya, Miami, QB - At some point we will select a QB this draft. While I think everyone is aware of my position on Trubisky, and Watson to a certain extent, Kaaya would probably be my favorite QB in the later rounds. I don't know if there's really anything that special about him but he has a good enough arm to make all the throws, has experience in a pro style offense taking snaps and running play actions. Seems like a poised well put together kid though who Shanahan may be able to get the most out of and help him develop. Shanahan has said he favors natural throwers, not the strongest arm but natural, Kaaya's throwing skills if not anything else seem to look natural. A little early for him but beyond him I really don't see too much I like at all.

4th - Eddie Jackson, FS, Alabama - There's a lot of S prospects this year who I think would line up great next to Reid in that rangy FS role, Hooker, Baker, Maye, Johnson, Thompson and Jackson. I think Jackson is sort of becoming the forgotten man with the depth of this S class being that he was injured almost all of this past year. But he is exactly what is required from a FS in our new scheme. He's got great range, athleticism, football IQ and ball skills to make plays all over the field and be our last line of defense in the pass and run. Tackles well for a guy who is as slender as he is and isn't afraid to come down and make a tackle. A leader on and off the field and a guy who I feel could step in right away at FS for us.

4th - Jon Toth, UK, C - One of my favorite prospects in this draft. Just a blue collar, lunch pail type of player. A great technician and very smart OL. I truly feel he can step in day one and push Kilgore for the starting spot. Very reliable and durable with a ton of experience and has played against good competition most of his career and held his own very well including Jonathon Allen who's even been quoted as saying as much.

5th - Marlon Mack, USF, RB - An explosive playmaker any time the ball is in his hands. Almost has the build of a WR more than a RB but is a guy who I could see Shanahan using as a game changing type weapon. Can be lined up outside, run routes out of the backfield, offer as a change of pace back to Hyde's ground and pound style. Has a skill set that has sorely been lacking at the RB position for us for a while. I had a hard time choosing between him and McNichols from BSU who reminds me so much of a younger Gore.

5th - Michael Roberts, Toledo, TE - One of my personal favorites of this draft and I've been singing his praises for a while now. Showed well at both the Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl surprising a lot of people with his skills as a pass catcher at his size, a healthy 6'4" 260 lbs now but probably more around 270 in season. Has soft hands, understands how to get open against man or zone, uses his body very well to shield defenders from ball and rarely goes down from one defender. I can see a great red zone threat from him and nice complimentary TE to McDonald's athleticism.

6th - Trey Hendrickson, FAU, DE/OLB - A sleeper who've I grown pretty fond of. May be slightly athletically limited but plays with a great motor and never gives up on a play. Has shown a good array of pass rushing moves and has decent size for our LEO position.

6th - Matt Milano, BC, MLB - Got to love any LB who comes from BC but Milano isn't quite like the former ones to come from BC. He's a converted S who's on the smaller side at 6' 230 lbs but FLIES around the field and deliver hits like a much bigger LB. Has great athleticism for the position as you would expect from a concerted S and looks very comfortable in pass defense. I think with time he could develop very nicely into a WILL LB and for the mean time will be a stud on special teams.

7th - Sam Rogers, VT, FB - The Swiss Army knife Shanahan could take advantage of with mismatches against LBs. Has very good ball skills whether running the ball with good vision and power or running a route out of the backfield. DiMarco was a very big part of the Falcons offense whether blocking for Freeman or Coleman or picking up first downs out in the flat.

7th - Jake Elliott, Memphis, K - Maybe we can finally get away from the senior citizens we run out there every year at K. Nothing against Nedney, Akers or Dawson but it's time to get some youth here. Elliott has a good leg and while Zane Gonzalez is more accurate statistically speaking but Elliot is no bum himself.

UDFA - Smoke Mizzell, UVA/Tarik Cohen, NC A&T, KR/PR/Weapon - Similar players in that they are both very much on the small side but are just electric. No defined NFL position for either in my mind but could be used in the slot, out of the backfield, or on gadget plays. Love what these guys could provide to our return game.

Depth Chart

QB : Cutler, Schaub, Kaaya
RB : Hyde, Mack, Draughn
FB : Rogers
WR : Jeffery, Smith, Kupp, Robinson, Kerley, Cohen/Mizzell
TE : McDonald, Celek, Roberts, Nelson
OT : Staley, Brown, Theus
OG : Garnett, Chester, Beadles, Tiller
C : Kilgore, Toth

LDE : Thomas, Lynch
UT : Alualu, Blair
NT : Dial, Purcell
RDE : Buckner, Armstead
LEO : Lynch, Harold, Hendrickson
MIKE : Bowman, Kendricks
WILL : Armstrong, Hodges, Milano
CB : Robinson, Brock, Ward, Redmond, Reaser, Johnson
FS : Jackson, Bethea
SS : Reid, Tartt

K : Elliott
P : Pinion
LS : Nelson

Last edited by Fureys49ers on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:29 am; edited 5 times in total
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add a couple things about the the depth chart :

- The UT is pretty flexible to me, while I do think Alualu and Blair could play very well there causing havoc by getting into the backfield I could see either Buckner or Armstead playing there as well. I think it's important to have a guy there who can disrupt the offense and be a mismatch in the middle of their OL.

- Hopefully Thomas is and becomes everything I think he will be at the LDE spot, but for some reason if he struggles or is injured I think Lynch can slide into that role from his new LEO position where Harold and Hendrickson should be able to hold down that spot.

- The RDE position is almost played like a 3-4 DE so both Armstead and Buckner could play this position with little transition as to playing style and responsibility. Should be relatively easy on them to continue to progress as we think they can and allow them to keep growing as a dominant, bigger DE.

- As far as our DL goes in passing situations I get excited about having a DL consist of Lynch - Thomas - Blair/Armstead - Buckner. Any combination of those 5 I feel will be extremely successful in getting after the passer, add Armstead and Buckners height and now the QB has to throw over two large obstacles.

- For our MIKE and WILL I think Bowman undoubtedly plays MIKE but his back up and who plays next to him is completely up for grabs and a competition between the others on the roster. However it plays out I believe what I have listed is a big improvement over what we had playing ILB this last year for depth and special team purposes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys (is it fureys, or furey's?), I must say, I love this mock. We're probably not making the playoffs with Cutler, but very solid moves all across the board, and the justifications for them are just on point.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rudy - love this (although, you don't need to cut those guys - some of them will leave through the cutdown to 53, and if they don't - then they didn't need to be cut anyway - this year). I think this is the best we could do at QB if we're not trading for anyone. We picked up 3 guys, of which none may be the long-term answer, but it gives us a group that can play right away, it gives us a chance on a rookie that has some talent and might surprise, and it doesn't leave us committed to anything should one of the 2018 guys fall into our laps next draft. Well done.

On top of that - Solomon Thomas (in this new 4-3 scheme), Eddie Jackson, and Mack are all prospects I could really get behind. Would not be disappointed in Kupp. Toth is a compensatory 4th, so while I'm not wild about him, he's certainly nothing to complain about at that spot. Other than Mack and Milano, I'm not overly familiar with the other late-round guys, but I'm sure I'll come across them in the coming weeks.

Still - the additions of Jeffery, Alualu, Thomas, and a good shot at the QB position makes this a really great offseason for us (I don't dislike any of the free agents, btw) in year one of a 3-year rebuild, and some of the other guys give a lot of hope in depth/possible future starters.

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it fellas, took me a while to finally come to peace with waiting on a QB and trying to be as "realistic" as possible during FA and the draft. While trying to do that I was pretty pleased with the outcome of this one as I was able to address almost every need with a prospect I liked and give us a solid start to the rebuild.

It's Furey by the way Rudy, Furey's49ers, didn't know if it would let me have the apostrophe in my name though.

I'll be posting one more after the combine and FA have occurred, so basically just a mock draft at that point, but I like posting them at different stages of the offseason and seeing the drastic changes or constants. I will say I'm prettt set with the idea of having a WR corps of Jeffery, Kupp, Smith, Robinson and Kerley for Shanahan to scheme with.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Appreciate it fellas, took me a while to finally come to peace with waiting on a QB and trying to be as "realistic" as possible during FA and the draft. While trying to do that I was pretty pleased with the outcome of this one as I was able to address almost every need with a prospect I liked and give us a solid start to the rebuild.

It's Furey by the way Rudy, Furey's49ers, didn't know if it would let me have the apostrophe in my name though.

I'll be posting one more after the combine and FA have occurred, so basically just a mock draft at that point, but I like posting them at different stages of the offseason and seeing the drastic changes or constants. I will say I'm prettt set with the idea of having a WR corps of Jeffery, Kupp, Smith, Robinson and Kerley for Shanahan to scheme with.

Every year I set out to do more than one, and I think I only accomplished that once. Last year I had a Big Board that people seemed to enjoy so I've been working on that (I've still got about 150 prospects and the combine to go through). But I'll have at least one mock up later in the season. I like those that do multiple drafts because I frequently travel in time through the forum's history to see how prospects changed from draft to draft and how they moved from maybe 3rd round prospects to first round prospects through only the offseason (a surefire sign, to me, that they were being overvalued close to the draft).

Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be very intriguing on all fronts. What a promising beginning if any of this really happened.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very satisfied if this was our offseason no doubt. There are a few spots I'd go elsewhere but overall I cant complain.

Cutler/Schaub - I like the idea, but I really dont like Cutler. Personal preference really but I'd rather go with someone to compete with Schaub who isnt the bum Cutler.

Alshon Jeffery - I see almost no chance of him wanting to come here, sure we'll pay him but I think a lot of teams will pay him. Jeffrey is a luxury player that we just arent ready for in the first year of a rebuild.

Alualu is an A++ pick up, I really like that one and think the Saleh connection could aid in that.

Kendricks isnt a free agent is he? But if he's released, he has been a popular name lately and I'm cool with it but again like Jeffrey he'll have options elsewhere too. We'd have to pay a lot for a guy cut from a team that is also rebuilding - seems fishy why he'd be cut.

Draft looks legit, Kupp is a bit of a reach in round 2 thats the only one I dont like but it has nothing to do with Kupp and just my philosophy of no receivers picked until a little later. That 2nd round pick is a 1st round pick and there is going to be a crazy good player there like McCaffery, or an edge rusher, or an OJ Howard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 481/2, a couple answers for your questions you had;

- Cutler in my mind is the ideal stop gap for Shanahan having had previous success, a natural throwers and probably 2-3 years of decent football left in him. It is a pretty rough year to try and find a FA QB but I definitely want someone who is better than Schaub, not just someone to compete with him. I dont want Schaub seeing the field ever, merely just an experienced guy in the scheme who might be able to share some knowledge to our rookie.

- Kendricks isn't a FA but the Eagles are trying to trade him for a draft pick that way they can get something for him instead of just cutting him. He doesn't play and I think is being paid somewhere close to 5 million which the Eagles could save if he was traded or released. Comes down to if teams actually think Kendricks is worth a pick or not. I don't think they'll get a trade partner and will just have release him.

- I get the Cooper Kupp hesitation but man do I think this guy will be special. I also feel he could step into an offense right away and contribute

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I"m in favor of everything on here if only because we avoided the #2 quarterback Laughing I'm easy to please.

To address the Cutler thing: he's a double edged sword. On one hand, ideal stop gap. Somewhat competent quarterback and veteran. That being said, personality wise, about the worst person you could ever pick to help groom a young quarterback Laughing Now, if you believe in that stuff (I don't), you may hesitate with the Cutler selection. If you are like me and thing it matters very little (I mean, Rodgers and Favre weren't best friends, neither were Steve and Joe. Meanwhile Manning and Tom's back ups have consistently failed and I don't know that there was any much friction there), then Cutler is pretty much perfect.

I am also of the opinion that Kupp is a slight reach at the top of round 2. I think that there will be better talent available. That being said, I don't think that he's there for the third round pick, so if you want him, you have to make that decision then and there. 5 years down the line, if he's solid, nobody is going to argue that he should have been taken half a round later and we reached for him.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
48 1/2ers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Thanks 481/2, a couple answers for your questions you had;

- Cutler in my mind is the ideal stop gap for Shanahan having had previous success, a natural throwers and probably 2-3 years of decent football left in him. It is a pretty rough year to try and find a FA QB but I definitely want someone who is better than Schaub, not just someone to compete with him. I dont want Schaub seeing the field ever, merely just an experienced guy in the scheme who might be able to share some knowledge to our rookie.

- Kendricks isn't a FA but the Eagles are trying to trade him for a draft pick that way they can get something for him instead of just cutting him. He doesn't play and I think is being paid somewhere close to 5 million which the Eagles could save if he was traded or released. Comes down to if teams actually think Kendricks is worth a pick or not. I don't think they'll get a trade partner and will just have release him.

- I get the Cooper Kupp hesitation but man do I think this guy will be special. I also feel he could step into an offense right away and contribute

Like I said I'd be very satisfied and I think all of this is very well thought through so good stuff.

But my hesitations are all a matter of personal preference really. If I were to bet one way or the other I'd go with Cutler not having a positive impact on this team. I think there are better options moving forward. He has the skill and ability but with a team that needs leadership and direction in forming their new identity moving forward I want to avoid Cutler. Plus he's only digressing with his physical ability.

If Kendricks isnt good enough to start for a below 500 team like the eagles then there reasons for that. Sure there are some players that are hidden down a depth chart but none that I've ever heard of that were signed to $30mil contracts. He still has 3 more years (~$25mil) on the deal. I know we have money to spend but 3 years from now we dont want to be stuck with. Even for a 6th round pick I'd be hesitant because of the contract. If the trade were to involve say Torrey Smith for Kendricks + Agholor I'd be more inclined.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya 48 1/2 on the Cutler hesitation, I don't know if he's quite the terrible human he's all made up to be but then again I've never followed him very closely or the team he was playing for.

With the Kendricks discussion though I don't think it was a matter of him not being able to start on sub .500 team as the Eagles starting LBs are actually prettt solid, being Bradham and Hicks. I mean they even traded away Alonso they liked those two guys so much and he went on to have a pro bowl season this past year. I don't know if the teams poor record can be placed squarely on those two LBs shoulders.

I'd also like to keep Torrey Smith and see what Shanahan can do with him maybe as or WR 3. In any case I want no part of Agoholor who was benched, then didn't even dress for a stretch of games because of his terrible play. This is on a team that was in dire need of WRs all year.

Not tying to argue or debate anything with ya I actually like the back and forth discussion a lot and love hearing other people's opinions to compare and contrast against my own.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this a lot, especially how you addressed the QB position, and that you got us a good young WR. A couple of nits. I have no interest in a 34 year-old G. If we're adding through FA just cough up the dough and go get Zeitler. He's still really young and has pro bowl potential in him. That's the kind of guy that could make a difference in our o-line, and for many years to come. The smallest of nits - I have no interest in drafting a FB. If we decide we need one then pick one up in FA or as a UDFA. I'd much rather add Mizzell with the 7th rounder rather than let him last to the UDFA period and have someone else get him. I'm not sure how good he is, but he has exactly the kind of skills that Shannahan will want in this offense. I could imagine him coming in and being one the the leading pass catching RBs in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
I like this a lot, especially how you addressed the QB position, and that you got us a good young WR. A couple of nits. I have no interest in a 34 year-old G. If we're adding through FA just cough up the dough and go get Zeitler. He's still really young and has pro bowl potential in him. That's the kind of guy that could make a difference in our o-line, and for many years to come. The smallest of nits - I have no interest in drafting a FB. If we decide we need one then pick one up in FA or as a UDFA. I'd much rather add Mizzell with the 7th rounder rather than let him last to the UDFA period and have someone else get him. I'm not sure how good he is, but he has exactly the kind of skills that Shannahan will want in this offense. I could imagine him coming in and being one the the leading pass catching RBs in the league.

Appreciate it, I don't know if Zeitler would want to come here being honest but I would love to add him. Chester seems to follow Shanahan around wherever he's at and understands what Shanahan wants out of his OL so maybe he can help the transition, don't really know if I want him starting though so I feel ya.

I'm a big FB fan and love the way Atlanta used DiMarco the past couple years. Rogers can handle all of what DiMarco was asked to do if not a little better since he is so athletic for a FB. I understand the not wanting to draft a FB though, especially since all the quality FBs in the NFL are free agents though.

100% agree with you on Mizzell or even Cohen. Both guys are electric with the ball in their hands and could be big time play makers in Shanahan's offense. I actually think a lot of UDFAs will be interested in coming here with Shanahan's reputation as well as a pretty open depth chart.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Tiller fan, and think he got screwed the last two years, but I think he struggles mightily in the outside zone scheme that Shanny runs. Garnett on the other hands may thrive in it.

El ramster on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: