You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cutting the Cord (No more Cable/Dish)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Cutting the Cord (No more Cable/Dish) Reply with quote

So I think its about that time that I get rid of this monthly cable bill.

I know i'm not alone in this endeavor as there was some brief talks about it in the technology thread a couple weeks back.

My situation: I pay ~$260 a month for cable which is my third largest bill behind my mortgage and my car payment, both of which I will own at the end of my payments. For this I get Cable with every channel including HBO (GoT), Showtime (Shameless, Ray Donovan), and all sports channels and NFL RedZone, I also get blast internet and a two camera security system. I mostly pretty much only watch sports and movies, my wife on the other hand loves her trash TV and records probably 5-6 shows a week that she'll watch in another room or when i'm not home.

I did a little research between the tons of options out there (Sling, Roku, Playstation Vue, Amazon Fire TV, etc.)

Here's what i've come up with: I have ordered an Amazon Fire Stick which I plan on adding Kodi and also using it to be the main player of my Playstation Vue account. With the Elite package ($55) through PS Vue I will get every channel that we both currently use except for HBO which I can get an HBO go account ($10). Through these services I can get everything Comcast gives me currently for $65 a month cutting my Comcast bill down to security ($30) and internet (Definitely under $170 a month)

So thats my game plan. What have you guys done, what do you like about it, and what do you hate about it?

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dumped DTV, and went to Vue. I run it on PS4, PS3, Roku Stick (Gen 1), and a Fire Stick (Gen 1). I have an antenna for live network/CW stuff, and the CW app for their shows when we can't watch live.

Works on everything I have
Wife figured everythign out on day 1
Can watch some stuff on the road
DVR capability

Dislikes:
Have to switch between multiple things, which is a very minor inconvienence
Only live network is CBS
ABC, FOX, and NBC on demand stuff isn't available until the next day
Every now and then a channel (never all of them) has a buffering issue.

Pros outweigh the cons by a lot. I went from a $100/mo DTV bill down to $30/mo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never looked into Playstation Vue (because I don't own one) until this thread. There's more relevant channels to me in the core slim package than my current DirecTV plan, which is almost twice the cost. Shocked

Guess I didn't realize the future was here already. I'm definitely never renewing my DirecTV contract again... only 1 1/2 more years lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous3 wrote:
I had never looked into Playstation Vue (because I don't own one) until this thread. There's more relevant channels to me in the core slim package than my current DirecTV plan, which is almost twice the cost. Shocked

Guess I didn't realize the future was here already. I'm definitely never renewing my DirecTV contract again... only 1 1/2 more years lol

Yea I turned the corner when I was talking to a buddy who literally only uses Vue because of the recording capabilities and the fact that if has Comcast Sportsnet which is the local provided for all Phillies and Flyers games for me.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:

This is huge for me because if the wife poo poos it in the beginning its going to be a tough uphill climb to get rid of cable again.

MrDrew wrote:
Dislikes:
Have to switch between multiple things, which is a very minor inconvienence
Only live network is CBS

In my scenario I was under the impression that pretty much everything could be run through the Amazon Firestick with the Kodi update. Is this not the case or have you not tried it?

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

NS922

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had cable for 5 years. I don't care for tv shows. I bought an HD antenna for something like $20. Beyond that I mainly watch YouTube. There are so many things people pay ridiculous prices for mainly because they're led to believe they have to (like I said about diamond rings). It's like a tradition to have cable but recently people are discovering how dumb it is.
Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NS922 wrote:
I haven't had cable for 5 years. I don't care for tv shows. I bought an HD antenna for something like $20. Beyond that I mainly watch YouTube. There are so many things people pay ridiculous prices for mainly because they're led to believe they have to (like I said about diamond rings). It's like a tradition to have cable but recently people are discovering how dumb it is.

I hate to tell ya man, but you're in the super minority with the bolded. Not liking TV makes living without most TV options much easier. That said I don't think people are discovering that cable is dumb but rather that through technology advancements people can get the same exact TV shows for less than half the price. When you're staring at a $260 Comcast bill on a monthly basis and can get everything down to ~$100 a month without losing any service I think that's well worth taking the time to look at alternative options.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

flyers0909

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Anonymous3 wrote:

Yea I turned the corner when I was talking to a buddy who literally only uses Vue because of the recording capabilities and the fact that if has Comcast Sportsnet which is the local provided for all Phillies and Flyers games for me.

That's literally the only reason I pay for TV through FIOS (it requires a special Sports Package just to get the local station). I might have to look into the Vue if it can record and I can get the Flyers on it.

Smack on the Lindor
Rammy on the Claude

Last edited by flyers0909 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
titans0021

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut cable about eight months ago after they tried to raise my bill to like $160. PS Vue has been great. We have a PS4 in the living room and a fire stick in the bedroom. Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but our experience is far better on the PS4. Less of a delay and everything just seems to work more smoothly.

Lost Viacom channels in November, which is unfortunate. But don't really have any bad things to say about it. We also get CBS and Fox live here, which is nice since it covers every football game other than SNF, so we're rarely flipping over to the antenna.

Props to mike23md on the sig
NS922

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
NS922 wrote:

I hate to tell ya man, but you're in the super minority with the bolded. Not liking TV makes living without most TV options much easier.

It saves a lot of money and a lot of time. Idk, I probably would be super into some shows but I'd rather not be anchored down by having to watch them all the time. Waaaay too many of them to keep track of.
Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's like a tradition to have cable but recently people are discovering how dumb it is.

That's me. Went from looking to save money, to realizing it's super easy to substitute those shows with completely different things. Now don't even want cable at all, regardless of price.

Here's another tip. If you have relatives who trust you, you can borrow their cable login and have access to stuff like ESPN, FS1, and some more channels I'm sure (that I never tried) through their Roku, FireTV, AppleTV, etc. apps, like many people have done with HBO Go. Maybe offer to pay a small fee to a friend or something. They will have absolutely zero effect of their service, and just get free moniez, while you get a few cable channels to watch whatever live sports you can't otherwise. Cheaper than Sling or Vue.

D#######
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for live sports, what do you really get with cable/dish that you don't get with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, etc?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Cut cable about eight months ago after they tried to raise my bill to like $160. PS Vue has been great. We have a PS4 in the living room and a fire stick in the bedroom. Not sure if this is the same for everyone, but our experience is far better on the PS4. Less of a delay and everything just seems to work more smoothly.

Lost Viacom channels in November, which is unfortunate. But don't really have any bad things to say about it. We also get CBS and Fox live here, which is nice since it covers every football game other than SNF, so we're rarely flipping over to the antenna.

Dumb question that I didn't think of until now....Will I need a streaming device (fire stick) for each TV in the house?

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Except for live sports, what do you really get with cable/dish that you don't get with Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, etc?

On of my apprehensions is that I'm a habitual browser. Flipping on the TV and just scanning the guide to find something regardless of channel isn't out of the question. That said I find myself regularly landing on sports or movies. I'm kind of curious how much my "browsing" ability will be limited with the options i've outlined above.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:

Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:

Dumb question that I didn't think of until now....Will I need a streaming device (fire stick) for each TV in the house?

You will need a device for each TV. I'd recommend getting different ones to see which you like best (one roku, one chromecast, one firetv, etc.)

Quote:
On of my apprehensions is that I'm a habitual browser. Flipping on the TV and just scanning the guide to find something regardless of channel isn't out of the question. That said I find myself regularly landing on sports or movies. I'm kind of curious how much my "browsing" ability will be limited with the options i've outlined above.

It's a worthless habit IMO. It seems like a necessity, like you need to breathe and eat, but it's really not. When you are in control of what content you watch and aren't on someone's clock, you'll never go back. I don't think most people get there though, since Sling and Vue are essentially cable (which IMO is a broken product) in a more attractive package.

D#######

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: