Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

REAL offseason discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnydtarheel

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
UPDATE:

Quote:
Updating a previous item, the Panthers have yet to exercise WR Kelvin Benjamin's fifth-year team option for 2018.

Back in March, GM Dave Gettleman said the team would pick up the option, but that was before Benjamin showed up to voluntary workouts a little pudgy, leading to coach Ron Rivera openly calling him out this past weekend for being a "little heavy." Benjamin wasn't his pre-injury self in 2016 and threw a fit on the sideline in one game. The Panthers are putting him on notice.

We have until Wednesday to officially pick up his option. I sincerely hope we don't.

We picked it up today

Thanks CK
Cypher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnydtarheel wrote:
Cypher wrote:
UPDATE:

Quote:
Updating a previous item, the Panthers have yet to exercise WR Kelvin Benjamin's fifth-year team option for 2018.

Back in March, GM Dave Gettleman said the team would pick up the option, but that was before Benjamin showed up to voluntary workouts a little pudgy, leading to coach Ron Rivera openly calling him out this past weekend for being a "little heavy." Benjamin wasn't his pre-injury self in 2016 and threw a fit on the sideline in one game. The Panthers are putting him on notice.

We have until Wednesday to officially pick up his option. I sincerely hope we don't.

We picked it up today

Yeah. Only good news is as long as he doesn't get hurt again, we can cut him after the year at no cost.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Lasus83

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:
Cypher wrote:
UPDATE:

Quote:

We picked it up today

Yeah. Only good news is as long as he doesn't get hurt again, we can cut him after the year at no cost.

Or trade him.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
Cypher

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:
Cypher wrote:
UPDATE:

Quote:

We picked it up today

Or trade him.

I've even lowered my price. I'll take just the turkey and the lettuce from the half-eaten turkey sandwich. Turkey is negotiable. Firm on the lettuce.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Lasus83

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
johnydtarheel wrote:
Cypher wrote:
UPDATE:

Quote:

We picked it up today

Or trade him.

I've even lowered my price. I'll take just the turkey and the lettuce from the half-eaten turkey sandwich. Turkey is negotiable. Firm on the lettuce.

Solid post... gotta be firm

Zithers

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you wouldnt want us to pick up his option. He is the only player on the roster who has shown he can be a (sort of) consistent threat as a wide receiver. Without him things would be even more dire.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
I don't know why you wouldnt want us to pick up his option. He is the only player on the roster who has shown he can be a (sort of) consistent threat as a wide receiver. Without him things would be even more dire.

1000 yards is averaging 62.5 yards per game.

For a clear-cut, designated, #1 WR... that is not great.

For being drafted as a "redzone threat", he has not shown to be dominant there.

What he has shown is the least separation of any WR in the league, inconsistent hands, inconsistent effort and has shown up to offseason workouts out of shape... what, twice now?

If he had the heart of a guy like Bersin, with that god given natural ability, he could be dominant in this league. But instead, we have discussions like this.

Zithers

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well, I didn't say he was a #1. I said he was the only proven somewhat consistent wideout we have. Transitioning to having another one isn't easy.

Bill Voth went on the radio today and said Ricky Proehl was more of a teammate/father figure to the wide receivers instead of being a drill sergeant. So perhaps that's why he "resigned." Maybe Lance Taylor is more of a hardass.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
Yeah, well, I didn't say he was a #1. I said he was the only proven somewhat consistent wideout we have. Transitioning to having another one isn't easy.

Bill Voth went on the radio today and said Ricky Proehl was more of a teammate/father figure to the wide receivers instead of being a drill sergeant. So perhaps that's why he "resigned." Maybe Lance Taylor is more of a hardass.

well... maybe you did not say it, but is there any debate that he is the designated #1 WR?

In a day where QBs are throwing over 4000 yards routinely and some are going over 5000 yards... 1000 yards does not mean as much.

KB has not done enough to be considered un-trade-able. Hopefully, he has done enough to still have trade value.
In any case,

Toughguy77

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:

1000 yards is averaging 62.5 yards per game.

For a clear-cut, designated, #1 WR... that is not great.

For being drafted as a "redzone threat", he has not shown to be dominant there.

What he has shown is the least separation of any WR in the league, inconsistent hands, inconsistent effort and has shown up to offseason workouts out of shape... what, twice now?

If he had the heart of a guy like Bersin, with that god given natural ability, he could be dominant in this league. But instead, we have discussions like this.

This.

He came out of the draft super raw hasn't done a lot to polish up his act in the NFL. The guy has a ton of potential but constantly relies on his size rather than upgrading his separation/route running ability.

Benji can easily be our #1 guy but has done little to actually earn the job.

Carolina Panthers
Gamecocks 2017 Final Four
Forever To Thee
ryanxmerch

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:

well... maybe you did not say it, but is there any debate that he is the designated #1 WR?

In a day where QBs are throwing over 4000 yards routinely and some are going over 5000 yards... 1000 yards does not mean as much.

KB has not done enough to be considered un-trade-able. Hopefully, he has done enough to still have trade value.
In any case,

Like the man said he is the ONLY proven real threat on the team. Whether he is considered a 1 a 2 or a 5. He needs to be on the team unless someone is swapping a legit WR the man is untradable right now.
Cypher

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kelvin Benjamin has been getting "extra treatment" at Panthers workouts this offseason.

The Charlotte Observer took it as a euphemism for Benjamin trying to get in better shape. Speaking about the situation, coach Ron Rivera who recently acknowledged Benjamin is "a little heavy" said Benjamin has worked very hard "when he's been around." The hope now is that Benjamin takes better care of himself away from the team.

We probably shouldn't collectively hold our breath or anything. Laughing

AkronsWitness wrote:
Lasus83

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Quote:
Kelvin Benjamin has been getting "extra treatment" at Panthers workouts this offseason.

The Charlotte Observer took it as a euphemism for Benjamin trying to get in better shape. Speaking about the situation, coach Ron Rivera who recently acknowledged Benjamin is "a little heavy" said Benjamin has worked very hard "when he's been around." The hope now is that Benjamin takes better care of himself away from the team.

We probably shouldn't collectively hold our breath or anything. :lol:

This...

This is the worst part of the football year. Nothing to look forward to except time passing heading to TC.

Zithers

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brandon Beane got hired by the Bills to be their GM.

Had been with us for the past 20 years.

Maybe Gettleman will bring in his own guy under his wing so that we have an heir when he eventually retires.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
Brandon Beane got hired by the Bills to be their GM.

Had been with us for the past 20 years.

Maybe Gettleman will bring in his own guy under his wing so that we have an heir when he eventually retires.

if trends suggest anything, it will be someone internally.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: