Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

REAL offseason discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With news of Reuben Foster slipping due to a diluted combine drug sample, and then the blowup on the nurse, what do you do if he falls to 40? Some people have him pegged as one of the best LB prospects to come out in recent years. I haven't really done research to substantiate those claims, but I do know that he's an animal.

I think I'd have to be all over that, if we can believe with any degree of certainty that his diluted sample was due to an excessive consumption of fluids due to illness. He's still in the NFL's program, technically, but if we think it's not going to be an issue, it's seriously worth a look. TD is in the final year of his contract and will be 35 next year. I know we have trouble getting Shaq on the field as is, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think that this could be TD's last year.

And /knock on wood/ I really hate bringing this up, but the heart/soul/focal point of our defense is routed through the best MLB in the game, and he has missed 9 games over the last 2 years due to concussions. I don't want to harp on that too much, but these are injuries that you can somewhat predict, because we know the the effects of concussions are exponential. Each one you get is going to build upon the damage of the ones that you've suffered previously.

TCMD 2017 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
Drics13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:
With news of Reuben Foster slipping due to a diluted combine drug sample, and then the blowup on the nurse, what do you do if he falls to 40? Some people have him pegged as one of the best LB prospects to come out in recent years. I haven't really done research to substantiate those claims, but I do know that he's an animal.

I think I'd have to be all over that, if we can believe with any degree of certainty that his diluted sample was due to an excessive consumption of fluids due to illness. He's still in the NFL's program, technically, but if we think it's not going to be an issue, it's seriously worth a look. TD is in the final year of his contract and will be 35 next year. I know we have trouble getting Shaq on the field as is, but I don't think it's unrealistic to think that this could be TD's last year.

And /knock on wood/ I really hate bringing this up, but the heart/soul/focal point of our defense is routed through the best MLB in the game, and he has missed 9 games over the last 2 years due to concussions. I don't want to harp on that too much, but these are injuries that you can somewhat predict, because we know the the effects of concussions are exponential. Each one you get is going to build upon the damage of the ones that you've suffered previously.

I agree we would have to consider it. Also he could relieve Luke in some games too if we are way out in front.
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:

I'll speculate with 'ya.

What are friends for?

Lets say that he is still on our board and has not been removed for this "incident"... lets also say that we have had a meeting with him (which I don't see that we have), and think that he can be a fit for us.

If he is there at the end of the 1st, I think his talent would even warrant a trade-up. He is, as you say, a helluva talent.

Some would say that he is the top defensive talent in this years class. Certianly the top talent at LB.

However, we met with so few LBs, and most of which in the later rounds... that I think it is a clear indication of our FO feeling good about our LB corps.

Would I like Foster at 40... heck yes. Of all the "reasonable" or "outside" possibilities to fall there... he probably tops the list.

Do I think it will happen? Heck no... dude won't escape the teen's.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

side note for those hoping for Ross:

Quote:
Michael Lombardi - former Patriots coaching personnel & current sports media guy - says John Ross' medicals are "terrible."

burnoutonme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
side note for those hoping for Ross:

Quote:
Michael Lombardi - former Patriots coaching personnel & current sports media guy - says John Ross' medicals are "terrible."

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest, if it's true. I just can't trust the guy to stay on the field and be effective, personally.

As to your Foster comment, I'd have to agree, it's very unlikely, but I'd probably actually be willing to move up for a guy of his talent if we don't pull him from our board. I think that the chances are probably more likely that we have pulled him from our board, especially if we didn't take any time to meet with him, not even as an unofficial visit. We haven't had any time to determine our thoughts on his character, etc., so it's probably pretty unlikely that they take a flyer on a "character concern" guy without ever having met with him.

Still would be pretty cool, though. All your LB's are belong to us.

TCMD 2017 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/137613-nfl-draft-rumor-scout-insider-says-carolina-likely-to-pull-trigger-if-fournette-falls-to-6-other-draft-rumors/

Good Read with insider info - Panthers to Trade up to 6 for Fournette?

Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the presser... I am 100% confident that Fournette is the pick.

I now think next year's 1st might be in play (with comp back to us), to move up.... but he is our guy.

DG is a crap poker player. This presser was telling.

Cypher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:

I now think next year's 1st might be in play (with comp back to us), to move up.... but he is our guy.

He's specifically said when you trade up, you gotta make sure that 2nd or 3rd is worth it. Zero chance he's giving up more than that. Future 1st is out of the question. If he's that stupid, he should be fired before day two kicks off.

If we move anywhere, it'll be to six, but I think Fournette is long gone before that.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pray Fournette is gone just to make sure we don't trade up. McCaffrey is an excellent consolation prize and we have the ammo to move back into the first for Njoku (or whoever we desire) if a run on QBs or something weird happens.

GMan is clearly enamored with Fournette but I just don't feel as comfortable with him. McCaffrey opens up the offense more than Fournette does by far (did way more running out of the gun and receiving obv) and has the bonus addition of being a returner.

Just think of what you would rather have

Fournette + a late 2nd + day 3 picks
McCaffrey + Njoku + day 3 picks

Easy decision for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

He's specifically said when you trade up, you gotta make sure that 2nd or 3rd is worth it. Zero chance he's giving up more than that. Future 1st is out of the question. If he's that stupid, he should be fired before day two kicks off.

If we move anywhere, it'll be to six, but I think Fournette is long gone before that.

Thank god. A future first is way too risky to trade. I agree from listening to him, there is no way we will trade up using another first and I dont even get from his comments that its 100% Fournette. This is lying season. Hope we end up with two first round picks rather then moving up.
Lasus83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drics13 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

Thank god. A future first is way too risky to trade. I agree from listening to him, there is no way we will trade up using another first and I dont even get from his comments that its 100% Fournette. This is lying season. Hope we end up with two first round picks rather then moving up.

From those that claim to be Insiders... I'm hearing that it's fournette and Adams and then tier 2.

McCaffrey may not be in tier 2

Lasus83

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drics13 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

From those that claim to be Insiders... I'm hearing that it's fournette and Adams and then tier 2.

Cypher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Drics13 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

Voth said if Fournette is gone, McCaffrey is the pick.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Drics13 wrote:
Cypher wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

Voth said if Fournette is gone, McCaffrey is the pick.

Bill Voth is going to be reporting the vanilla news, now, that you see on panthers.com. The idea that he would "report" that McCaffrey is the pick is rediculus... it'd be as good as DG saying it... which says smoke screen to me.

But I'm biased.

And we all need to recognize that there is probably more mis-information than actual-information floating around out there now-a-days.

The source I listed was one that did not appear affiliated with any team... certainly not the Panthers.

I think the most likely trade up, from 8, is to the Jets. The question is, though, if we are going to get outbid by the Bengals. I think I read somewhere that they have the most picks in this years draft.... If they are offering 9 + 2nd + 4th, us offering similar would be "better" but I don't think DG wants to lose top-100 picks this year... I think he wants to accumulate them.

In the past, he has said "there are only so many roster spots avail" and "you don't trade a quarter for two dimes".

It seems that he believes that the talent level of this draft is much higher than other recent drafts, at key positions to us.

Hence the next-year 1st round pick trade. 1.8 + 2018 1st to the Jets should net us back a 3rd at least... maybe a 2nd... I dunno, value charts don't accommodate comp picks or future picks.

But if he believes that he is getting equal or better value with a 2nd this year, versus a 1st next, I can see the move being made.

It's, literally, me taking a position against the field... likelihood low, but I think the possibility is there.

Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of rumors..

Hearing that Chicago is leaking interest in Trubiski as their lock for 1.3.

True or not, the design is to put pressure on those wanting the UNC QB, to either trade-up or take him before 3.

Warren Sapp came out and said Garrett has bust potential.

Warren Sapp, long time friend of John Lynch, of course.

Also rumors that the Browns are in talks with SF to acquire the #2 overall pick.... in an effort to go QB/DE back-to-back.

A run on QBs appears increasingly likely.

Us not being in the market for a QB, this bodes well for us in all capacities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 29 of 32

Jump to: