You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

REAL offseason discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An offseason of

KK Short tagged
Star Lotulelei extended
Mario Addison re-signed
Captain Munnerlyn as nickel
Julius Peppers as rotation DE
Matt Kalil as potential OT starter ?
Jared Cook as second TE
Eric Berry as SS

I have no idea if this is even plausible money wise but I know there's a lot to spend.

Would set us up pretty well for BPA in the draft, which I feel is increasingly heading towards Fournette/Cook.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

KK Short tagged - Agree, very likely
Star Lotulelei extended - Not necessary this offseason but possible
Mario Addison re-signed - hope so but may be priced out
Captain Munnerlyn as nickel - hope not... too many other FA and Rookie options. This is a loaded CB offseason and he is, at best, a nickle
Julius Peppers as rotation DE - God I hope not. If we go "big name" FA, I would rather have Mario. Pep has burned his bridge here, as far as I'm concerned.
Matt Kalil as potential OT starter ? - Hope not. Money is on Reiff
Jared Cook as second TE - could take it or leave it.
Eric Berry as SS - VERY wishful thinking but would be absolutely awesome

I have no idea if this is even plausible money wise but I know there's a lot to spend.

Would set us up pretty well for BPA in the draft, which I feel is increasingly heading towards Fournette/Cook.

All of the above is "possible" but it would leave us very strapped and is not DGs MO.

Cook is very doubtful as well. His talent is undeniable. Only real knock is his smaller size and pass blocking ability. However, character concerns will all-but take him off our board.

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
Zithers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

Captain Munnerlyn as nickel - hope not... too many other FA and Rookie options. This is a loaded CB offseason and he is, at best, a nickle
Julius Peppers as rotation DE - God I hope not. If we go "big name" FA, I would rather have Mario. Pep has burned his bridge here, as far as I'm concerned.

All of the above is "possible" but it would leave us very strapped and is not DGs MO.

Cook is very doubtful as well. His talent is undeniable. Only real knock is his smaller size and pass blocking ability. However, character concerns will all-but take him off our board.

Captain is a fine nickel. And we need one. Leonard Johnson isn't very good. Bradberry and Worley will be fine on the outside. Peppers isn't what I would call a "big name" since he was a role player in GB last season. He would be a solid pickup and we almost signed him a couple offseasons ago. Captain wants to come back too... we tried to keep him but we were cash-strapped. We also wanted Cook last offseason he picked GB over us.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

What are the character concerns? The "incident" with a girl here in Tallahassee was easily shown to be not accurate. "Hanging out with thugs" is a weak argument, the dude is from So Flo and is a huge talent, of course some people will surround him.

JF16 Forever
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

What are the character concerns? The "incident" with a girl here in Tallahassee was easily shown to be not accurate. "Hanging out with thugs" is a weak argument, the dude is from So Flo and is a huge talent, of course some people will surround him.

Accusations have killed draft stock in the past... although a different situation due to timing, see La'el Collins. Of course, Worley would be a counterpoint.

That said, it is something that he will have to explain to DGs satisfaction.

Considering that, if it is him vs. fournette, that Leonard fits our scheme better, is largely considered the better prospect and is night-and-day a better pass blocker (something DG values highly)... it is hard to think that Cook and Fournette are anywhere near each other on our draft board.

The fact that he lives in southern Florida is not an excuse for the company he keeps.

ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

Accusations have killed draft stock in the past... although a different situation due to timing, see La'el Collins. Of course, Worley would be a counterpoint.

Considering that, if it is him vs. fournette, that Leonard fits our scheme better, is largely considered the better prospect and is night-and-day a better pass blocker (something DG values highly)... it is hard to think that Cook and Fournette are anywhere near each other on our draft board.

The fact that he lives in southern Florida is not an excuse for the company he keeps.
Panther11 "Kyle" and myself both went to Florida State. Cook was never a concern in my eyes. Yes, Winston received a lot of publicity, and maybe because he's a QB. But, the chatter with Winston went around outside TV and Twitter feeds. Nobody seemed to ever doubt Cook, and the buzz was nowhere near. Now that he has declared the expects need something to pick at him for. I know people who personally know Cook very well and say he's a very shy and reserved guy. Any accusations of him hanging around the wrong crowd are based on stereotypes.
Lasus83

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

Panther11 "Kyle" and myself both went to Florida State. Cook was never a concern in my eyes. Yes, Winston received a lot of publicity, and maybe because he's a QB. But, the chatter with Winston went around outside TV and Twitter feeds. Nobody seemed to ever doubt Cook, and the buzz was nowhere near. Now that he has declared the expects need something to pick at him for. I know people who personally know Cook very well and say he's a very shy and reserved guy. Any accusations of him hanging around the wrong crowd are based on stereotypes.

Is the criticism unfair?

Maybe

I don't know the guy. DG and other teams will have their vetting process and their 1 on 1 time with him.

But lets take off-the-field completely out of the equation...

Fournette has a higher ceiling
Fournette is hands-down a better run blocker
Cook is said to have a playing weight about 10 lbs lower than his list - read: strength concerns to shed NFL tackles

Fournette fits our scheme better.

ericr0319

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
ericr0319 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Panthers11 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:
Zithers wrote:
An offseason of

Is the criticism unfair?

Maybe

I don't know the guy. DG and other teams will have their vetting process and their 1 on 1 time with him.

But lets take off-the-field completely out of the equation...

Fournette has a higher ceiling
Fournette is hands-down a better run blocker
Cook is said to have a playing weight about 10 lbs lower than his list - read: strength concerns to shed NFL tackles

Fournette fits our scheme better.

I am always going to be bias towards cook.

My concerns with Fournette:

- durability. straight up the gut runner, going to take bumps and bruises.
- he never showed up against Alabama 145 yards and 1 TD, in 3 GAMES.
Cook v Clemson - 363 yards and 5 TD in 2 GAMES (not to mention another 50+ yarder where we were robbed the game). The kid shows up. Cook is spotty in blocking, but that is something that can be addressed.

The kid has homerun potential every single time he touches the ball.
Cypher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericr0319 wrote:

I am always going to be bias towards cook.

My concerns with Fournette:

- durability. straight up the gut runner, going to take bumps and bruises.
- he never showed up against Alabama 145 yards and 1 TD, in 3 GAMES.
Cook v Clemson - 363 yards and 5 TD in 2 GAMES (not to mention another 50+ yarder where we were robbed the game). The kid shows up. Cook is spotty in blocking, but that is something that can be addressed.

The kid has homerun potential every single time he touches the ball.

The other thing to remember is what CalhounLambeau alluded to in his initial draft thread.

Apparently, Fournette "checked out" in August. His team wanted him gone, coaches wanted him gone, school wanted him out. He got into it constantly with coaches.

While Calhoun is a guy on a forum, his track record is damn impressive and that makes this worrying.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Lasus83

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'all have your target, in cook, and I get that.

Maybe he slides into the late 1st, we trade up, and get both. That'd be a siget to see.

Stew gets cut without question, in that scenario.

And, as we know, DG will go back-to-back...

Haha, never gonna happen.

Toughguy77

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add- Cook is more of a receiving threat out of the backfield than Fournette. That is something we need as another weapon for Cam.

Carolina Panthers
Gamecocks-Jake Bentley watch
Forever To Thee
Cypher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
Y'all have your target, in cook, and I get that.

Honestly, neither one is my "target". There's about 10-12 players i'd take over either of them. I don't think either back lives up to a top-10 selection at all.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
Cypher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addison back on a three-year deal. Waiting on numbers.

EDIT: 22.5 mil. 7.5/year.

AkronsWitness wrote:
ryanxmerch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

If he can turn himself into an every down end that is a great price.
Lasus83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanxmerch wrote:
Cypher wrote:

If he can turn himself into an every down end that is a great price.

These are not the "full" numbers. However, it is a lot more than I was thinking he was getting. The market surprises me sometimes.

We will have to see the particulars to see what DG did here.

I like the guy and there is no question we need edge talent.

I suppose my hesitance is due to the depth, at this position, in the draft.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 3 of 34

Jump to: