You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In-House Free Agency Decisions: Who Goes and Who Stays
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northland

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In no particular order:

T Williams - Let him go. Someone is going to really overpay for him. Let them.

R Leary - Would love to keep him, but he will score a big contract on the open market.

G Escobar - Gone. Another wasted 2nd round pick. Swaim gets healthy and Geathers(spelling) looking good on the practice squad.

T McClain - resign him. Solid performer. We don't want to lose a solid player from a DL that needs work.

Need to keep at least 2 out of 4 from the secondary. If we are able to sign him cheaply I'd bring back Claiborne. Yes he can't stay healthy but he looked solid last year when he was on the field. Carr doesn't have many years left. Church will probably score a contract. I can't believe I'm saying this but resign Wilcox. Having said this, I read where Mayock believes this is the deepest draft for CB's and S's in a long time. I don't think we can afford to have our secondary gutted.

Bring back Kellen Moore and McFadden. I'd like Butler back on the cheap. I hear we have interest in Josh McCown as well.

My biggest off season need is to add some performers to the DL. Will pick 28 be in play if we can upgrade the DL/DE position?

DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys are cut and won't command enough of a payday to warrant a comp pick. Some of these guys may sign back with us for super cheap after testing the market and not finding suitors, like Jack Crawford did last year (*). Other guys will sign small deals elsewhere. Others we don't want back at all, and may not be in the league next year. Either way these guys get cut and no comp pick will be awarded for their departure.

Mark Sanchez - Quarterback(After his performance, we would be fools to bring him back at any rate.. IDC how giggley him and Dak are on the sideline. Dak doesn't need a home boy, he needs someone to play QB if he gets hurt, and Butt fumble doesn't do that very well.)
Lance Dunbar - Running Back (*)
Gavin Escobar - Tight End (Let the bust, bust)
Jack Crawford - Defensive Lineman (*)
Andrew Gachkar - Linebacker (*)
Rolando McClain - Linebacker (out of the league)
Justin Durant - Linebacker (*)
JJ Wilcox - Safety (Will sign a small deal somewhere else. I think the staff only keeps one(Church or Wilcox) and I feel they will elect Church for his leadership, and let Kavon Frazier take over as the youth.)

These guys will get released, mainly because we can't afford them. It's not all a loss though as these guys have great potential to generate us a comp pick. So don't be sad. Look at it like we are trading them for mid to late round picks in 2018. Better than nothing.

Terrance Williams - Wide Receiver(Someone will over pay him and we will get a nice comp for him)
Ron Leary - Offensive Guard(Someone will finally pay him what he is worth and we will get a decent pick for the former UDFA, even a 7th rounder turns a profit for Leary. I bet our comp is higher than that though)
Brandon Carr - Cornerback(I believe we will try to keep 1 of our CBs, and I believe we will go with the younger of the two, and release Carr. Carr may not get a huge deal but I think he still has value and we could get a comp pick for him. If not him then we will get one for Mo, or possibly both. I believe it's smart to keep one though.)

We need to keep these guys:

Terrell McClain - Defensive Tackle (Priority #1. Had a breakout season last year, but should still be able to get for a decent price.)
Morris Claiborne - Cornerback(I think it's smart to keep 1 of our CBs. Mo could have tested the market last year and chose to stay with the Cowboys. Now he has a little more value but I still don't see teams throwing a huge contract at him that he can't walk away from. He seems to like Dallas and it would be wise to keep one of our starters.)
Barry Church - Safety (Captain of our secondary. We keep one Wilcox or Church. I think the staff likes the youth they have in Kavon Frazier, so the need to go young isn't strong. The Cowboys will lose ppl in the secondary this offseason no doubt, so the need to keep a leader is still there. I personally might pick Wilcox over Church, because I feel he is finally getting it, but I bet the staff chooses Church, and that's okay.)

Sign these guys for depth, but they're cheap af so it's okay.

Kellen Moore - Quarterback(served as a pusedo OC last year, great relationship with Linehan, has good understanding of the offense, better at football than Weeden/Cassell, could be signed for peanuts. We don't promise him the back up job, but he deserves a spot to compete in camp for it.)
Darren McFadden - Running Back(I think he is a good compliment to Elliott. He is still in good shape and fast. We need depth at RB, and I thought DMc looked decent at the end of last year, when he finally came back. Not signing him for anything more than minimum though.)
Brice Butler - Wide Receiver(We need depth at WR. Butler has flashed potential, but he has also flashed mediocrity. He should be cheap and he knows the system. Re-sign him and draft a rookie and we are okay.)
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming he moves on, I bet we get a comp pick for Wilcox.

Kiltman on the sig & avy
DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Assuming he moves on, I bet we get a comp pick for Wilcox.

I was on the bubble with him being in the comp pick group. Given his age and being a former 3rd rounder who started to make his name known last year. You may be right.

Leary

Twill

Carr
Mo (keep one)

McClain (keep)

Wilcox
and Church (keep one)

All have potential to generate comp picks imo.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: