Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In-House Free Agency Decisions: Who Goes and Who Stays
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maverick41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: In-House Free Agency Decisions: Who Goes and Who Stays Reply with quote

So Dallas has 17 unrestricted free agents this offseason. In the past three offseasons combined the Cowboys have had 47 UFAs and have re-signed 13 of them (including Rolando McClain twice).

So here is the list of Dallas' UFAs, put in code format so you guys can easily copy and arrange them how you like in your own projections.

Code:
Mark Sanchez - Quarterback
Kellen Moore - Quarterback
Darren McFadden - Running Back
Lance Dunbar - Running Back
Terrance Williams - Wide Receiver
Brice Butler - Wide Receiver
Gavin Escobar - Tight End
Ron Leary - Offensive Guard
Jack Crawford - Defensive Lineman
Terrell McClain - Defensive Tackle
Rolando McClain - Linebacker
Andrew Gachkar - Linebacker
Justin Durant - Linebacker
Brandon Carr - Cornerback
Morris Claiborne - Cornerback
Barry Church - Safety
JJ Wilcox - Safety

Here are my projections...

RE-SIGNS

Kellen Moore - Quarterback
Jack Crawford - Defensive Lineman
Andrew Gachkar - Linebacker
JJ Wilcox - Safety

I think Moore gets the edge over Sanchez due to smaller outside demand and Linehan's high view of him. I might still expect a Josh McCown or Shaun Hill to get called in, however.

Butler Didn't step up this season like he and the Cowboys wanted. I think he gets a one-year deal to come back and prove something for 2018 free agency. Potentially gets a second, non-guaranteed year.

Jack Crawford loves Dallas and Marinelli likes his positional flex. I think the "want-to" on both sides means he's back. Gachkar is sort of the same way. He's planted his family in the Metroplex and is a Bisaccia favorite on special teams.

I think Dallas picks one of either Wilcox or Church, but not both. I also don't think they'll allow both to walk. Ultimately I think Wilcox gets the edge because of his age, the huge strides he made in 2016, and the stronger outside forces that will pull at Barry Church.

LEAVES VIA FREE AGENCY

Mark Sanchez - Quarterback (Atlanta)
Darren McFadden - Running Back (Baltimore)
Terrance Williams - Wide Receiver (Washington)
Gavin Escobar - Tight End (New England)
Ron Leary - Offensive Guard (Tampa Bay)
Terrell McClain - Defensive Tackle (Tampa Bay)
Brandon Carr - Cornerback (Detroit)
Morris Claiborne - Cornerback (New Orleans)
Barry Church - Safety (Tennessee)

Kyle Shanahan is interested in taking Matt Schaub with him to San Francisco, so Atlanta will need a backup QB. Steve Sarkisian was a mentor to Sanchez at USC. Seems like a good fit.

Baltimore has consistently gambled on older players in free agency (Steve Smith, Eric Weddle, Justin Forsett) and they will need a veteran back to split carries with Kenneth Dixon since Terrance West appears likely to leave.

The Redskins like Terrance Williams and they could potentially be without DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon. In Williams they get younger, cheaper, and improved blocking on the outside.

Gavin Escobar to New England just makes too much sense to me. Martellus Bennett will be leaving town and the Patriots love big, athletic tight ends to couple with Gronk. We also know Belichick's history of reclamation projects.

I think both Leary and McClain leave for Tampa. The Bucs are young, talented, and have lots of cap space. The left side of their line is in desperate need of repairing before they can be legitimate NFC contenders, and signing in Tampa would mean Ron Leary could return home to Louisiana twice a year to play the Saints. McClain grew up in Florida and has all of his immediate family currently living in the Tampa area.

Brandon Carr acknowledged he was considering retirement after the season, but I don't see it. Athletes do tend to get a little more sentimental in their decision-making when they start to wind down their careers though, so a return home to Michigan to a contending Lions team that could stand to upgrade across from Darius Slay would make sense.

I don't have any clue where Morris Claiborne goes. I don't know where he would view a "fresh start" and I don't know which team wants to risk his injuries. New Orleans' pass defense was terrible last year and he's a Louisiana kid, so that's my best guess.

As I mentioned, Church could potentially be in the other category and this could potentially be Wilcox. Ultimately I think another team steps up and offers money that Dallas won't, and the Titans could stand an upgrade over Da'Norris Searcy as they look to contend in 2017.

RETIREMENT

Rolando McClain - Linebacker
Justin Durant - Linebacker

Dunbar probably seems like an odd one to have on this list, but that knee injury was devastating. He drew little interest as it was last offseason and he didn't do anything this year to show he had returned to form. I think the phone never rings and he hangs up his cleats.

McClain is an obvious one.

Justin Durant played admirably on short notice for the Cowboys, but he was on the verge of retirement when they called. I think he's ready to move on with his life after football.

So who do you guys have us re-signing?

bossvegas wrote:
to be fair some people just don't like traffic signs
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only must keep on the list is Terrell McClain imo. I'd argue Leary too. Don't know that we can afford both, but if we are going to restructure for FA those are the FAs it should be.

Realistically I see:

McClain
Wilcox/Church(1)
Kellen Moore

Coming back. They may let McClain walk and let Thornton play the 1, but I feel like McClain is the better player.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those seem like reasonable, well-founded and researched FA predictions. I definitely agree that Dallas will let the majority of their FAs walk this year and only keep a select few for very affordable prices. Losing Carr and Claiborne would hurt but it is a possibility.

I think Jacksonville is a pretty strong candidate to pursue Ron Leary. They have OL issues, mountains of cap room and a repeatedly demonstrated affinity for our castoff OLs.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smite - #1 priority
Church'Wilcox - most likely Church
Sanchez - His relationship with Dak is very good.

On the bubble....

Mo/Carr - I think one of them has a decent chance of returning.
Butler - Going rate for a decent #2WR is about $6m/yr. I think Butler sticks.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
DaBoys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Smite - #1 priority

But he is not.

Kellen Moore looked better in his starts, and his relationship to our amazing OC Scott Linehan is very good. If Linehan has a say I bet he picks Moore.

I am on board with signing one Mo or Carr. I think Mo is about to get paid in FA though.

Adopt a Cowboy: X Dez Bryant X ~ 50 Rec ~ 796 Yds ~ 8 TDs ~ 15.9 YPC ~ 1 Passing TD ~ 4 games missed
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBoys wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Smite - #1 priority

But he is not.

Kellen Moore looked better in his starts, and his relationship to our amazing OC Scott Linehan is very good. If Linehan has a say I bet he picks Moore.

I am on board with signing one Mo or Carr. I think Mo is about to get paid in FA though.

Well, technically speaking, neither is worth a roster spot. But, I suppose Moore probably gets the nod. I mean, his QBR of 19 is nearly 4x better than that of Sanchez's.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
DaBoys wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:
Smite - #1 priority

But he is not.

Well, technically speaking, neither is worth a roster spot. But, I suppose Moore probably gets the nod. I mean, his QBR of 19 is nearly 4x better than that of Sanchez's.

I'd take a late rd or UDFA over either of them, because they both have proven that they suck.
resilient

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant think of a single reason why I would want Sanchez on this team. I would rather take the chances of drafting a QB late and hope for a long shot to come in (and become a Dak/Romo) then to let a definite BAD QB take a roster spot. Plus late rd picks are cheaper than Sanchez.
cowboysdreamer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Darren McFadden (RB) resign to a manageable back up contract some where down the road last year they lost their faith in Alfred Morris so that's another question mark in the run game. McFadden still showed that he's a reliable running back when he came back late last year. He's good coming out receiving the ball and good blocker. He'll probably except a fair manageable contract to stay with Cowboys.

2) Kellen Moore (QB) is probably the QB resigned if they cant talk Romo into remaining with the Cowboys as the back up QB @ a lower priced contract and having good odds to get to the Super Bowl down the road. Romo needs to realize that no other team is going to touch him with a 10 foot pole if he doesn't lower his contract price @ his age and injury history the last few years. I'm not saying he doesn't have the ability anymore its just how the finances play out in sports now a days. The Cowboys got lucky last year finding a reliable starting QB in Dak Prescott and Tony needs to look back when he stepped in to replacing Drew Bledsoe and he became the starter. It's time to either come to grips with Karma rolling around and the shoes on the other foot or work with the Jone's and help the Cowboys to make that trade that he may possibly want.

3)JJ Wilcox (S) would be the safety that I feel needs to be resigned he had the best season out of any of the other secondary players. Church has had injuries lately and is probably going to get big money offers from other teams.

4) Mo Claiborne (CB) when healthy he's their best corner but he's always injured unless he excepts an incentive contract that reflects the amount of time played on the field instead of the sidelines then he needs to be let go.

With all the remaining free agents on this Cowboys team I would look elsewhere to either sign key positioned players that have had friendly Cap hits in 2016 and look to the draft. Very heavy loaded draft with wide receivers , secondary , front loaded for defensive line. The Cowboys need to work their magic and finding a few gems late in the draft like Anthony Brown , Tony Romo to name a few of past finds. With the direction that the Cowboys are heading it's going to be hard for other free agents to turn down the Cowboy's offers if these players want to win a Super Bowl.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we trade Romo to Denver, it'd be nice to get Siemian back so we don't have to bother with overpaying Butt Fumble or some other veteran, or relying on a late round/UDFA rookie to back up Dak. Could also maybe get Bryce Petty from the Jets.

Adopt-a-Cowboy 2016: Sean Lee- 145 tackles (93 solo, 52 assisted), 1 PD, 1 FR, 13 TFLs, 977/982 defensive snaps played excluding the meaningless Week 17 game against the last place Eagles
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: In-House Free Agency Decisions: Who Goes and Who Stays Reply with quote

Just gonna make a scale 1-10, 1 being don't want them back and 10 being want them back.

Mark Sanchez - Quarterback 3
Kellen Moore - Quarterback 6
Darren McFadden - Running Back 6
Lance Dunbar - Running Back 3
Terrance Williams - Wide Receiver 5
Brice Butler - Wide Receiver 7
Gavin Escobar - Tight End 3
Ron Leary - Offensive Guard 2 (not worth the $ when we have Collins)
Jack Crawford - Defensive Lineman 2
Terrell McClain - Defensive Tackle 9
Rolando McClain - Linebacker 0
Andrew Gachkar - Linebacker 4
Justin Durant - Linebacker 5
Brandon Carr - Cornerback 8 OR Morris Claiborne - Cornerback 8
Barry Church - Safety 7 OR JJ Wilcox - Safety 6

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Leary - Offensive Guard
Terrell McClain - Defensive Tackle
Brandon Carr - Cornerback
Morris Claiborne - Cornerback
Barry Church - Safety

This is who I want back if we can make it work.
ware94

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bold prediction: Where Romo lands is where you'll see Williams land.
NCAA- Auburn Tigers
CowboysFan96

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ware94 wrote:

Didn't Williams just get quoted saying he preferred Dak's leadership style over Romo?
Desperado82

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysFan96 wrote:
ware94 wrote:

Didn't Williams just get quoted saying he preferred Dak's leadership style over Romo?

He did say it was a bold prediction. Laughing

^^^El Rammy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: