Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Raiders give Jack Del Rio new four year contract
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Raiders give Jack Del Rio new four year contract Reply with quote

Not an "extension" but they actually tore up his previous contract (which I think only had one year left anyways) and gave him a brand new four year deal.

Congrats to Jack. Absolutely had my doubts at first but he has turned this organization completely around. Is he a guy that can win divisions, sustain that success, and win Super Bowls? Only time will tell, but completely turning around a franchise that was the worst franchise of the NFL for 14 seasons (at least Cleveland had a 10-6 squad during those 14 years in '07) is very impressive. The schedule is brutal next season so let's see if Jack can sustain the success.
JustAnotherFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the success this one season, I still question him as an HC and think that he's just another "player's coach' that took more credit for the players' regression &/or over-achievement than deserved.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustAnotherFan wrote:
Despite the success this one season, I still question him as an HC and think that he's just another "player's coach' that took more credit for the players' regression &/or over-achievement than deserved.

He took Jacksonville to the playoffs a few times though and that roster was always ugly. He finally has a very nice roster and went 12-4.

I still have my doubts he is the kind of coach capable of winning a division every year but what coach does that anyways besides Bellichick?

Whether Jack is a Super Bowl caliber coach is still up in the air but he is definitely a guy that will get you into the playoffs multiple years as long as his roster isn't disastrous.
JustAnotherFan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you're optimism, don't get me wrong. And it's not just his past, (although it does have something to do with it) but when a team is dead last penalties committed and is still 11-5.....it raises some legitimate questions.

To me, penalties are a sign of an undisciplined team and that falls on the head coach.

Last edited by JustAnotherFan on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
jrry32

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Del Rio is Jeff Fisher, if Jeff Fisher actually accepted that it's 2017 and not 1995.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
He took Jacksonville to the playoffs a few times though and that roster was always ugly. He finally has a very nice roster and went 12-4.

Thats just blatantly wrong.

He had several very good rosters with the Jags....just never had a true franchise QB.

I like JDR. I think he can be a SB winning coach with the talent he has now, especially at QB. Only "downfall" is he plays in a division which should continue to be very competitive. Not a knock on him, obviously....but it could effect how much success he has there in these 4 years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

He had several very good rosters with the Jags....just never had a true franchise QB.

I like JDR. I think he can be a SB winning coach with the talent he has now, especially at QB. Only "downfall" is he plays in a division which should continue to be very competitive. Not a knock on him, obviously....but it could effect how much success he has there in these 4 years.

Leftwitch showed promise.. And that dude David Gerrard(sp) was solid as they come.. They had a good run game and those 2 towers in the middle with that D.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
JustAnotherFan wrote:

I still have my doubts he is the kind of coach capable of winning a division every year but what coach does that anyways besides Bellichick?

Whether Jack is a Super Bowl caliber coach is still up in the air but he is definitely a guy that will get you into the playoffs multiple years as long as his roster isn't disastrous.

Jacksonville had a pretty strong roster for that 3 or 4 year stretch where they were competitive. They lacked at QB, where Leftwich was just blah and Garrard was basically an Alex Smith lite, but they had some really dominant players elsewhere on that roster. People forget how great Marcus Stroud and John Henderson were as a duo because neither had a particularly long career, but they rivaled the Williams duo in Minnesota at their peak. Prime Rasheen Mathis was phenomenal. Donovin Darius was quality at SS. Mike Peterson and Daryl Smith at LB. And then the Fred Taylor/MJD duo, with Jones at FB. Heck, Jimmy Smith was still productive until he retired, too.

It wasn't a flashy roster, necessarily, but it was built in the same vein as the current Chiefs or Vikings. Talent throughout, some dominant stars, and then just a general lack of subpar players (their OL was average to above average across the board, same with their DEs, and their secondary sans Mathis.) The talent is just very easily forgotten because basically every player I just listed had and injury-ruined career. Taylor, MJD, Darius, Peterson, Hayward, etc., all had injuries put a sudden stop to their effectiveness, or just slowly nag at them as time went on.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to JDR, happy for you dude

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Del Rio is still sketchy as a HC to me, but this is a well deserved extension following a solid season despite issues on defense and the record penalties. As long as Carr is healthy, the raiders will always have a shot at the playoffs.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
KManX89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good, he deserves it.

He single-handedly earned at least 2 of their 12 wins with his gutsy playcalling.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
BayRaider wrote:

Leftwitch showed promise.. And that dude David Gerrard(sp) was solid as they come.. They had a good run game and those 2 towers in the middle with that D.

Agreed...but none of those QBs were consistently dependable or good enough to go all the way with.

If he had Derek Carr when he was with the Jags, he very likely wouldve won a Superbowl there.

Now that he has a guy, he is showing not only what he can do....but how just giving a seemingly mediocre coach a franchise QB can make them SEEM much better.

Not saying JDR is mediocre.....but not having a real QB in the NFL can make even good coaches look worse. I think JDR is at least an average coach who finally has a QB.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't crazy about him. But I still have to give the devil his due.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feelings I posted in the Raider forum

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Ehhhhh

Don't love it, don't hate it. JDR is kind of what I was expecting. An alright coach. He's a much better motivator than I gave him credit for though. Was hoping for him to be a stepping stone coach that we'd outgrow in 3 years. We grew too fast though and now I'm afraid he's going to continue to coast on our talent. Really disappointed with our defenses under him. I like him as a person, just not sure he's "the guy".
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
My feelings I posted in the Raider forum

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Ehhhhh

Don't love it, don't hate it. JDR is kind of what I was expecting. An alright coach. He's a much better motivator than I gave him credit for though. Was hoping for him to be a stepping stone coach that we'd outgrow in 3 years. We grew too fast though and now I'm afraid he's going to continue to coast on our talent. Really disappointed with our defenses under him. I like him as a person, just not sure he's "the guy".

I could still possibly see JDR being our gateway coach on our path to a Super Bowl. If he can't win the big game within three years or so. But he's definitely exceeded my expectations so far and I'm starting to believe he can lead the Raiders to a Super Bowl. Only time will tell though. Good hire regardless, got us back on track.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: