Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Elliot878 Denver Broncos Mock Offseason V1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I'd be thrilled.

Reddick is a unique talent. Though, I think he'd be a risky pick. From a size/athletic standpoint he's the prototype at ILB. Throw in his ability as a rusher and he's a potentially special player. However, he's still a gamble at ILB. Instincts and recognition are huge at that position, great athletes fail at LB all the time because they are lacking in those areas. I'd still be fine taking the risk, though.

After that I like all the other picks as well, especially Shaheen.

Everything you said about Reddick and the risk involved is accurate, especially in terms of instincts and recognition. That said, if he fails at ILB I'm willing to bet he will be a high level edge rusher, negating some of the risk he carries as an ILB.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
I'd rather see the Broncos use one of their 3rds and a late round pick next year to move up and grab OJ Howard. Adding him and McCaffrey to the offense would give the Broncos a huge upgrade in weapons.

I contemplated Howard in round 1 as best player available, but I'm not sure Elway would use a luxury pick in round 1, as he usually goes BPA at a position of need.

If Howard makes it within range of a trade, he instantly is the BPA and TE is a position of need.

I agree we need a TE, and that Howard is the cleanest prospect in years at the position. But in my opinion, this team has way more pressing needs than TE. With our QB situation, we'll need to field a truly elite defense to compete for the division, which to me, means shoring up the DL and adding a rangy inside linebacker to pair with B-Marsh.

On the offensive side, we'd be fools not to prioritize offensive line upgrades above tight end. I admittedly did not do a great job of this in my draft. I do think Derby does buy us a bit of time to develop a freak mismatch type of TE prospect that we can take a flier on late. It still boggles my mind that Derby was thrown in basically without any time to learn the playbook and was still able to contribute far more as a pass catcher than anyone else on the roster. I trust him to give us enough to where we can focus on more pressing needs.

You can easily fix the both the Defense and O-Line without using the draft. The defense really only needs an upgrade along the D-Line. Unless the Broncos can somehow trade Todd Davis, he will be starting along side Marshall next year. Howard is a once in a decade talent at TE who is flying under the radar a bit because he wasn't utilized that much at Bama. He will be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses with his versatility. You can line him up like a traditional TE or move him out into the slot. I'm sure they could also try putting him in the backfield just to confuse the defense. With Hoawrd and McCaffrey, the Broncos don't even need to find a 3rd WR.

You absolutely cannot fix the OL without using the draft. That line of thought basically assumes that no other teams exist or need help along the OL and Denver gets first choice on each player - just not happening.

Agree on Howard, he's a unique talent, but not the only unique talent in the draft. I'm getting the impression that if we don't take Howard you're going to call the draft a failure?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Lots of young OG's and old OT's.

Pretty loaded guard class this year vs weaker tackle class. I wouldn't mind if we found a franchise guard this year, or two and fixed the tackle position with vet stop gaps until we were able to bring in younger, more talented tackles through the draft.

I understand that. I just see 5 young guys vying for 2 OG spots plus a backup. Two old OT's with no swing tackle.

Holden needs a redshirt year and possibly/probably will never be more than a backup RT. Doesn't have the qualities to backup both spots. Schofield should stay inside.

Smith can't stay healthy so our swing OT will get lots of playing time.

Anyway, outside of Whitworth it looks like a lot more of the same at OT and zero depth.

I don't disagree. I finished this with the full realization that we still have holes at right tackle. The sad part is, for a third straight year we're very likely to have a massive hole(s) somewhere along the OL.

So many mocks are going to obviously have one of the three tackles, so I wanted to go a little bit against the grain with our first pick. I think if we stay put at 20 Ramczyk is probably off the board, Robinson probably is too, and I just highly doubt that Elway & co will view Bolles as the best player available. I can see them falling in love with Reddick though.. Howard too but that's been done so wanted to go down a different avenue.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
I'd rather see the Broncos use one of their 3rds and a late round pick next year to move up and grab OJ Howard. Adding him and McCaffrey to the offense would give the Broncos a huge upgrade in weapons.

I contemplated Howard in round 1 as best player available, but I'm not sure Elway would use a luxury pick in round 1, as he usually goes BPA at a position of need.

If Howard makes it within range of a trade, he instantly is the BPA and TE is a position of need.

I agree we need a TE, and that Howard is the cleanest prospect in years at the position. But in my opinion, this team has way more pressing needs than TE. With our QB situation, we'll need to field a truly elite defense to compete for the division, which to me, means shoring up the DL and adding a rangy inside linebacker to pair with B-Marsh.

On the offensive side, we'd be fools not to prioritize offensive line upgrades above tight end. I admittedly did not do a great job of this in my draft. I do think Derby does buy us a bit of time to develop a freak mismatch type of TE prospect that we can take a flier on late. It still boggles my mind that Derby was thrown in basically without any time to learn the playbook and was still able to contribute far more as a pass catcher than anyone else on the roster. I trust him to give us enough to where we can focus on more pressing needs.

You can easily fix the both the Defense and O-Line without using the draft. The defense really only needs an upgrade along the D-Line. Unless the Broncos can somehow trade Todd Davis, he will be starting along side Marshall next year. Howard is a once in a decade talent at TE who is flying under the radar a bit because he wasn't utilized that much at Bama. He will be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses with his versatility. You can line him up like a traditional TE or move him out into the slot. I'm sure they could also try putting him in the backfield just to confuse the defense. With Hoawrd and McCaffrey, the Broncos don't even need to find a 3rd WR.

You absolutely cannot fix the OL without using the draft. That line of thought basically assumes that no other teams exist or need help along the OL and Denver gets first choice on each player - just not happening.

Agree on Howard, he's a unique talent, but not the only unique talent in the draft. I'm getting the impression that if we don't take Howard you're going to call the draft a failure?

How many of the Broncos O-Line draft picks have worked out again?
elliot878

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

Does that mean you give up and let your QB's get killed and stunt their dev?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a lot of it, but don't think you can roll into 2017 with that rotation at RT. Also, don't think that Elflin is going to supplant Schofield as a rookie. And finally, I don't think that McCaffery lasts that long.

Love the FA signings, and most of the picks. I am wary on Reddick because he strikes me as a guy that got by on athleticism rather than instincts, and you absolutely need instincts to play ILB. And if he is a developmental pick, he isn't a guy that I want in R1. We need immediate contributors.

Like that you went against the grain with the pick though. Its really easy to mock Cam or Ramczyk to Denver.

Also, the idea that we should give up drafting OL because our bust rate has been high lately is just ludicrous. Not to mention we have not really invested much draft capital in the OL to begin with.

Ty at #59 was the highest pick since Franklin. I expect a R2 OT to develop int a capable starter, he wont meet that expectation. Max Garcia was a R4 pick, so I expect a bubble starter / good interior depth guy and I think he will hit that ceiling. Schofield was the 95th pick, and from a late R3 OT I would expect a bubble starter / capable swing OT. And I think he has hit that. Paradis has consiterably outplayed his draft position. Phillip Blake was a bust, as a R4 pick he should have been a decent depth IOL for 3-4 years. Painter was a late round flyer. Don't see a bust there.

We have not been coaching up middle round picks from their average value (Depth guys, swing tackles, bit-starters is what you should expect outside the top 100 IMO) to quality starting players that outplay draft value. But we also have not really invested legit draft capital into the OL. The two players we have taken in R2 at OL since the Elway regime, one has busted hard and the other was a quality starter his entire rookie contract (No, Franklin wasn't perfect, but he was about an average return for a R2 OT and frankly, his run blocking was sorely underrated).

We need to invest MORE high draft capital into the OL, not less. Its clearly been an afterthought draft-wise in the Elway camp and that needs to change sooner than later.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

No, but a TE is also instrumental in terms of pass blocking and run blocking. Our TEs are abysmal and we have young QBs. I don't view it as a luxury pick.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, but a TE is also instrumental in terms of pass blocking and run blocking. Our TEs are abysmal and we have young QBs. I don't view it as a luxury pick.

I think the blocking abilities of OJ Howard are getting really exaggerated. I don't think a single scouting report fails to mention that he looks passive and plays with a clear lack of fire on the field. The entire Alabama program prioritizes physicality and if OJ is still showing a lack of sand-in-the-pants after coming of age in that program, I have issues believing that he will ever play with the fire that you need to go from elite-metrics to elite-player in the NFL.

Either way, our TE rotation is not a liability. Its not a strength, but it isn't a liability either. Derby was a pleasant surprise and you have to love a guy that can be traded mid-season at a skill position and memorize the playbook in time to be starting by like his second game, and playing at an improved level each outing. I don't think he is special, but he can be a serviceable 4th option in a passing attack IMO. And our TE blocking last season never stood out to me as abysmal. IDK maybe I was missing something, but Derby gave good effort and Virgil was his regular self more-or-less.

A elite receiving TE would add a needed offensive wrinkle to our game, but until we can run consistently and with power, the offense will be DOA. We need angry players on the OL. The entire offense plays without a sense of urgency and physicality and a demeanor like OJ really would not help break that cycle IMO.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I like a lot of it, but don't think you can roll into 2017 with that rotation at RT. Also, don't think that Elflin is going to supplant Schofield as a rookie.

Like that you went against the grain with the pick though. Its really easy to mock Cam or Ramczyk to Denver.

Also, the idea that we should give up drafting OL because our bust rate has been high lately is just ludicrous. Not to mention we have not really invested much draft capital in the OL to begin with.

Ty at #59 was the highest pick since Franklin. I expect a R2 OT to develop int a capable starter, he wont meet that expectation. Max Garcia was a R4 pick, so I expect a bubble starter / good interior depth guy and I think he will hit that ceiling. Schofield was the 95th pick, and from a late R3 OT I would expect a bubble starter / capable swing OT. And I think he has hit that. Paradis has consiterably outplayed his draft position. Phillip Blake was a bust, as a R4 pick he should have been a decent depth IOL for 3-4 years. Painter was a late round flyer. Don't see a bust there.

We have not been coaching up middle round picks from their average value (Depth guys, swing tackles, bit-starters is what you should expect outside the top 100 IMO) to quality starting players that outplay draft value. But we also have not really invested legit draft capital into the OL. The two players we have taken in R2 at OL since the Elway regime, one has busted hard and the other was a quality starter his entire rookie contract (No, Franklin wasn't perfect, but he was about an average return for a R2 OT and frankly, his run blocking was sorely underrated).

We need to invest MORE high draft capital into the OL, not less. Its clearly been an afterthought draft-wise in the Elway camp and that needs to change sooner than later.

So, I took the liberty of only responding to your OL thoughts. Very well put.

When I read a post that says Schofield or Garcia was a bust i'm kinda WTF. They're about what you'd expect from their draft position. You lay that out well.

Ty, yeah, he's not mean enough to play. That's a bust.

I really think it's time we spent a few quality (top 50) picks on the OL. Getting one of the top 3 OT's would be a great start.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
BroncosFan2010 wrote:
I like a lot of it, but don't think you can roll into 2017 with that rotation at RT. Also, don't think that Elflin is going to supplant Schofield as a rookie.

So, I took the liberty of only responding to your OL thoughts. Very well put.

When I read a post that says Schofield or Garcia was a bust i'm kinda WTF. They're about what you'd expect from their draft position. You lay that out well.

Ty, yeah, he's not mean enough to play. That's a bust.

I really think it's time we spent a few quality (top 50) picks on the OL. Getting one of the top 3 OT's would be a great start.

I agree with both posts. I don't believe I referred to Garcia or Schofield as busts, you're right they're not - but you don't want both starting on your OL. If I implied bust with reference to them, that's my fault.

I do agree a heavier investment must be made along the OL. It's what I've said running on three offseasons and I'd applaud the selection in the first round, and I'd applaud another in the 2nd round lol..

I just wanted to take an outside the box approach in round one, as I believe there's a solid shot that Reddick becomes the pick. He's the type of linebacker talent that we've seen Elway become enamored with in the past, and I can see him being viewed as BPA come draft day. I'd prefer OL, but wanted to present something different.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

The TE's on our roster can block just fine. A rookie TE is rarely going to offer an upgrade in blocking, Dwayne Allen's are rare.

Pass pro should be this teams number one priority, followed closely by run defense. Spending a first on Howard or Njoku would provide a weapon for the pass game more than an upgrade in pass protection from day one.

We can't win without knowing what we've got at QB, and we'll continue to have an impossible task evaluating our QB's if we cannot protect them.

All that said, I wouldn't even be mad at either pick, just would never take either over Ramczyk if available. I'd be unable to make that pick having seen how borderline unwatchable our offense has been due to an incompetent OL the past two years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I just don't understand how a one-year wonder in Ryan Ramczyk is automatically a better fit for the offense than OJ Howard. It's been very clear from the top down that this offense lacks playmakers. Our TEs might be "good enough" but frankly, McCoy got more out of a rookie in Hunter Henry than we've gotten out of TE in a loooooong time. OJ Howard is a much better prospect than Henry.

TE is a need. It's not as pressing as OT, I agree, but Howard is a better prospect than Ramczyk. Just because Ramczyk is the best OT in an awful class doesn't make him a better prospect IMO.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BowserBroncos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
So I forgot to include a depth chart...

Offense
QB - Siemian - Lynch
RB - Anderson - McCaffrey - Booker - Bibbs - Brooks
FB - Janovich - Thompson
WR - Demaryius - Taylor - Malone
WR - Sanders - Latimer
SLOT - McCaffrey - Raymond
TE - Derby - Huerman - Shaheen
LT - Whitworth - Holden
LG - Omameh - Schofield -
C - Paradis - Elflein
RG - Elflein - Garcia - McGovern
RT - Smtih - Holden - Schofield
K - McManus
PR - McCaffrey - Likely
KR - Likely - Raymond

Defense
DE - Wolfe - Crick - Gotsis
NT - Jones - Tu'ikolovatu - Peko
DE - Campbell - Walker
OLB - Von - Barrett
ILB - Marshall - Davis
ILB - Reddick - Anderson
OLB - Ray - Dora
CB - Harris - Roby
FS - Stewart - Simmons
SS - Ward - Parks
CB - Talib - Doss - Wilson
P - Dixon

that would be a monster offseason and draft....McCaffrey is special and absolut fits the mode of Denver Broncos stars, and his a nostalgia pick.....If Haasan Reddick can play ILB it would be a great pick up to build a monster ILB/OLB group

With that said, I don't know if McCaffrey get pass the Patriots, so if Elway wants him you can expect to be the 20th or a trade down could happen.

Do you remember where Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney got picked? Nothing against Elflein, but I really want Lamp or Feeney, both could be starting Gs, but also could be safe blancket for Paradis hips, like Elflein but better.

Also would rather see Fowler make the roster over Latimer.
broncos_fan _from _uk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I guess I just don't understand how a one-year wonder in Ryan Ramczyk is automatically a better fit for the offense than OJ Howard. It's been very clear from the top down that this offense lacks playmakers. Our TEs might be "good enough" but frankly, McCoy got more out of a rookie in Hunter Henry than we've gotten out of TE in a loooooong time. OJ Howard is a much better prospect than Henry.

TE is a need. It's not as pressing as OT, I agree, but Howard is a better prospect than Ramczyk. Just because Ramczyk is the best OT in an awful class doesn't make him a better prospect IMO.
I agree with the sentiment I just wanted to point out that Ramczyk isn't a one year wonder. Yes he only played one year of Div I football but there are tons of players every year who started in JC/ lower divisions before playing only 1 or 2 years at Div 1 (in the process proving that their play against "inferior" competition wasn't a fluke). Recent OL picks off the top of my head are Carl Nicks and Kyle Long. The 1 year wonders that worry me are players who are role players for the majority of their career before putting together a single magic season.
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos_fan _from _uk wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I agree with the sentiment I just wanted to point out that Ramczyk isn't a one year wonder. Yes he only played one year of Div I football but there are tons of players every year who started in JC/ lower divisions before playing only 1 or 2 years at Div 1 (in the process proving that their play against "inferior" competition wasn't a fluke). Recent OL picks off the top of my head are Carl Nicks and Kyle Long. The 1 year wonders that worry me are players who are role players for the majority of their career before putting together a single magic season.

Yea Wisconsins coach recruited Ramczyk to play at Pitt when he was there. Ramczyk wanted time off, went to a local trade school, then a small school in WI... Wisconsins coach came back to Wisconsin, got in touch with Ramczyk, got him to UW and immediately penciled him in as his LT as soon as he was eligible.

The fact that coach still wanted Ramczyk after he burned him a few years ago, and that he immediately penciled him in as his LT says something. Guy knew what he had in Ramczyk and Ramczyk lived up to what that coach thought he was and then some.

I can get passed the "one year" label when things go down like that. The only red flag in Ramczyk's story is how much does he love football if he wanted some time off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: