Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Elliot878 Denver Broncos Mock Offseason V1
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Elliot878 Denver Broncos Mock Offseason V1 Reply with quote

Cuts:
Russell Okung - Save $10.9M
Donald Stephenson - Save $3M
Virgil Green - Save $2.8M
Bernard Pierce - Save $615K

Re-Sign:
Vance Walker - 1 year $1.5M

Tender:
Brandon McManus - RFA - Original Round - $1.671M
Matt Paradis - ERFA Tender - $615K
Shaq Barrett - ERFA Tender - $615K
Jordan Taylor - ERFA Tender - $540K
Kapri Bibbs - ERFA Tender - $540K
Zaire Anderson - ERFA Tender - $540K

These transactions leave us with $45,535,135 in available cap room.

Free Agency:
Abry Jones - NT - 4 Years $15m This is probably a head scratcher for many on this board, but Jones is going to get paid well on the open market. He's a 6'3 318 pound nose tackle who has shown positional versatility, playing left end, under tackle and nose tackle in Jacksonville. He's gotten better every year since entering the league as an un-drafted free agent, he started 9 games this year after Roy Miller went down and proved a significant upgrade. The Jags haven't been shy about purging young free agents from Denver, Elway returns the favor.
Alternate option - Alan Branch

Calais Campbell - DE - 3 years $42m This is a logical fit for the Denver native. Broncos need an elite end, Calais is from Denver, and the Broncos are in a better position to give him the type of money he'll be looking for. This one makes too much sense to not throw into my mock.
Alternate option - William Gholston

Andrew Whithworth - LT - 2 years $24M There are a lot of teams looking for tackles, so Whitworth is going to get a solid annual pay bump. Not sure Cincy is willing to go from $9m they paid him this year to $12m that we're offering. They are flush with cap space, so maybe they match. Whitworth will be tough to land, but Elway should make him a priority, as the tackle talent falls off, especially on the left side.
Alternate option - Matt Kalil

Patrick Omameh - OG - 2 years $5M Omameh has been thrust into starting jobs each of the last three years, all with different teams. He's gotten better year over year, taking over this year for Luke Joeckel, he proved to be an upgrade. Looking at his scouting report out of Michigan, his athleticism and drive blocking ability in the run game were his biggest strengths. Reading over some game notes since he's entered the NFL, PFF says he's begun to look the part of an NFL starter, especially in his pass protection. Put these notes together and you've got a guy whose become well rounded throughout his NFL journey. Omameh will provide competition so that Schofield, Garcia and McGovern won't just be handed a job. In a competition against our current guards, I'd surely bet on Omameh to win, and he may just be a free agent steal, as his career is trending up.
Alternate option - Chance Warmack

Andre Smith - 1 year $1M A place holder on the right side, if he's healthy he should be serviceable.

Remaining Salary Cap: $12,285,135

2017 Draft:
1.20 - LB Haason Reddick - Temple - I've been shouting from the rooftops this team needs to address the OL early and often for over a year now. I've watched Elway fail to address it with an early draft pick, try patching it with dirty bandaids like Shelley Smith and Donald Stephenson which I criticized him for. That said, here I am drafting a linebacker over OL. My reasoning is this: Ramczyk is going to go earlier than 20, Robinson is going to go earlier than 20, Bolles may not but he's 25 years old and will not represent anything close to the best player available at 20, after his Sr. Bowl injury, Forrest Lamp will also not be worth the 20th pick.

After the combine, Haason Reddick will very likely be considered amongst the best players available at pick 20, if he even lasts that long. Athletically Roddick is very similar to Ryan Shazier, who Elway was enamored with and tried trading up for. Like Shazier, Reddick is a wiry, athletic linebacker who is amazing in space, he will be the cover talent that we've missed since losing Trevathan. Unlike Shazier and Trevathan though, Reddick is also an accomplished edge rusher. He will provide an all around presence that projects to elite level talent. Despite gaping holes at right tackle and right guard, I can just see Elway falling in love with Reddick.

2.51 - OG Pat Elflein - Ohio State - Elflein will be a plug and play guard here in Denver. He doesn't have the weight you look for at just 300 pounds, but he's extremely strong through his core and lower body and enjoys a fight. Elflein will provide an immediate boost to our run game and should develop into a capable pass blocker as well. I'm choosing him over other guards who I like including Dorian Johnson and Dan Feeney.

Trade: Denver Trades R3.82, R3.97(comp) & R4.146(comp) to Cleveland for R2.52 and R5.177.

2.52 - RB/WR/RS Christian McCaffrey - Stanford - If he's still on the board in the mid-late round two, a trade like this will happen. I have a feeling McCaffrey will be there in round 2, as other RB's have leapfrogged him this season. If you think this is too late for him, insert Curtis Samuel who is the same swiss army knife type talent with game breaking ability.

3.104 - CB Howard Wilson - Houston - Howard Wilson probably came out a year too soon, as evaluators say he likely would have been a first rounder if he waited a year and developed his game and strength further. Luckily, he'll have time to get that further development, strength training, and fine tuning in Denver. Wilson stands 6'1 and with Talib possibly heading out after another year or two, and Roby questionable to return after the season, Denver will need a long corner. Wilson is a smooth athlete with great speed and athleticism. Gaining strength and further development in route recognition are the two areas where he'll need to develop. With the time he has to develop in Denver, this may end up a steal.

4.125 - OT Will Holden - Vanderbilt - Holden was a 2nd team all SEC offensive tackle this past season, and impressed at both the Shrine Game and the Sr. Bowl. An SEC left tackle, he'll move to the right side in the NFL. He's got something like 57 starts under his belt, so he's battle tested and can step in if need be. It's a safe pick, although it may lack upside. Holden will compete with Andre Smith and Michael Schofield for the starting job at right tackle.

5.177 - NT Stevie Tu'ikolovatu - USC - "Big Stevie" is the 6'1 350 pound nephew of Sione Pouha, the Jets nose tackle from a few years back. He's a huge bodied nose tackle with great strength and solid agility. He's not a pass rusher by any means, but an early down plug.

6.203 - TE Adam Shaheen - Ashland - The beauty of the AJ Derby trade, to me, is that it gives the Broncos the time to draft and develop a high upside TE. Enter Shaheen, who has a massive frame at 6'6 270. He's a former basketball player, and brings with it the athleticism you'd expect. He played against low level competition, but will be a mismatch in the red zone and between the 20s, as his speed and catch radius are eye popping. He's a move TE with the frame and strength of an in line TE.

6.204 - WR Josh Malone - Tennessee - Good size/speed/skill combination. Highly regarded recruit, he showed flashes his first two years at Tennessee but broke out for 50 catches, 900+ yards and 11 touchdowns this past season. He's a solid intermediate receiver who also became a deep threat in his junior season. Good flier.

7.254 - RS Will Likely - Maryland - Borrowing this one from 67 Denver needs someone to compete with Kalif Raymond for return duties.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather see the Broncos use one of their 3rds and a late round pick next year to move up and grab OJ Howard. Adding him and McCaffrey to the offense would give the Broncos a huge upgrade in weapons.
elliot878

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
I'd rather see the Broncos use one of their 3rds and a late round pick next year to move up and grab OJ Howard. Adding him and McCaffrey to the offense would give the Broncos a huge upgrade in weapons.

I contemplated Howard in round 1 as best player available, but I'm not sure Elway would use a luxury pick in round 1, as he usually goes BPA at a position of need.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

I contemplated Howard in round 1 as best player available, but I'm not sure Elway would use a luxury pick in round 1, as he usually goes BPA at a position of need.

If Howard makes it within range of a trade, he instantly is the BPA and TE is a position of need.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Bernard pierce?

Fify.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ off season making the mlbs faster and more rangy, and the oline better, and skill positions better.

This happens I'd be estatic.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Who is Bernard pierce?

Had a good rookie year a few years back with the Ravens, then fell off hard. I was using the roster from over the cap, we signed him to a futures contract

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7427/bernard-pierce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

If Howard makes it within range of a trade, he instantly is the BPA and TE is a position of need.

I agree we need a TE, and that Howard is the cleanest prospect in years at the position. But in my opinion, this team has way more pressing needs than TE. With our QB situation, we'll need to field a truly elite defense to compete for the division, which to me, means shoring up the DL and adding a rangy inside linebacker to pair with B-Marsh.

On the offensive side, we'd be fools not to prioritize offensive line upgrades above tight end. I admittedly did not do a great job of this in my draft. I do think Derby does buy us a bit of time to develop a freak mismatch type of TE prospect that we can take a flier on late. It still boggles my mind that Derby was thrown in basically without any time to learn the playbook and was still able to contribute far more as a pass catcher than anyone else on the roster. I trust him to give us enough to where we can focus on more pressing needs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I forgot to include a depth chart...

Offense
QB - Siemian - Lynch
RB - Anderson - McCaffrey - Booker - Bibbs - Brooks
FB - Janovich - Thompson
WR - Demaryius - Taylor - Malone
WR - Sanders - Latimer
SLOT - McCaffrey - Raymond
TE - Derby - Huerman - Shaheen
LT - Whitworth - Holden
LG - Omameh - Schofield -
C - Paradis - Elflein
RG - Elflein - Garcia - McGovern
RT - Smtih - Holden - Schofield
K - McManus
PR - McCaffrey - Likely
KR - Likely - Raymond

Defense
DE - Wolfe - Crick - Gotsis
NT - Jones - Tu'ikolovatu - Peko
DE - Campbell - Walker
OLB - Von - Barrett
ILB - Marshall - Davis
ILB - Reddick - Anderson
OLB - Ray - Dora
CB - Harris - Roby
FS - Stewart - Simmons
SS - Ward - Parks
CB - Talib - Doss - Wilson
P - Dixon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of young OG's and old OT's.
elliot878

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

Pretty loaded guard class this year vs weaker tackle class. I wouldn't mind if we found a franchise guard this year, or two and fixed the tackle position with vet stop gaps until we were able to bring in younger, more talented tackles through the draft.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:

Pretty loaded guard class this year vs weaker tackle class. I wouldn't mind if we found a franchise guard this year, or two and fixed the tackle position with vet stop gaps until we were able to bring in younger, more talented tackles through the draft.

I understand that. I just see 5 young guys vying for 2 OG spots plus a backup. Two old OT's with no swing tackle.

Holden needs a redshirt year and possibly/probably will never be more than a backup RT. Doesn't have the qualities to backup both spots. Schofield should stay inside.

Smith can't stay healthy so our swing OT will get lots of playing time.

Anyway, outside of Whitworth it looks like a lot more of the same at OT and zero depth.
Broncoquake

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Broncoquake wrote:

I agree we need a TE, and that Howard is the cleanest prospect in years at the position. But in my opinion, this team has way more pressing needs than TE. With our QB situation, we'll need to field a truly elite defense to compete for the division, which to me, means shoring up the DL and adding a rangy inside linebacker to pair with B-Marsh.

On the offensive side, we'd be fools not to prioritize offensive line upgrades above tight end. I admittedly did not do a great job of this in my draft. I do think Derby does buy us a bit of time to develop a freak mismatch type of TE prospect that we can take a flier on late. It still boggles my mind that Derby was thrown in basically without any time to learn the playbook and was still able to contribute far more as a pass catcher than anyone else on the roster. I trust him to give us enough to where we can focus on more pressing needs.

You can easily fix the both the Defense and O-Line without using the draft. The defense really only needs an upgrade along the D-Line. Unless the Broncos can somehow trade Todd Davis, he will be starting along side Marshall next year. Howard is a once in a decade talent at TE who is flying under the radar a bit because he wasn't utilized that much at Bama. He will be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses with his versatility. You can line him up like a traditional TE or move him out into the slot. I'm sure they could also try putting him in the backfield just to confuse the defense. With Hoawrd and McCaffrey, the Broncos don't even need to find a 3rd WR.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be thrilled.

Reddick is a unique talent. Though, I think he'd be a risky pick. From a size/athletic standpoint he's the prototype at ILB. Throw in his ability as a rusher and he's a potentially special player. However, he's still a gamble at ILB. Instincts and recognition are huge at that position, great athletes fail at LB all the time because they are lacking in those areas. I'd still be fine taking the risk, though.

After that I like all the other picks as well, especially Shaheen.
Counselor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
I'd be thrilled.

Reddick is a unique talent. Though, I think he'd be a risky pick. From a size/athletic standpoint he's the prototype at ILB. Throw in his ability as a rusher and he's a potentially special player. However, he's still a gamble at ILB. Instincts and recognition are huge at that position, great athletes fail at LB all the time because they are lacking in those areas. I'd still be fine taking the risk, though.

After that I like all the other picks as well, especially Shaheen.

Shaheen is going higher than that even in a stacked TE class.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: