You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Possible Replacements for Jeffery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenny Stills has more value for me if the Bears are targeting Kizer at QB, he has the arm to maximize what Stills can bring.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
I suppose he could have always told Alshon, "Go find your best offer and come back to me and we'll see if we can match it."

If that's the deal then put the transition tag on him. At least you assure yourself the right to match. No compensation if you don't which is where we are anyway if we don't franchise him again, but it lets him truly get market value without him leaving. Could be a really effective tool to resolve a value impasse while still controlling the situation. With $75M in cap room it's not like we couldn't match whatever he gets. It'd have to be something the other side could live with too should we not match.

Can you still transition tag a guy the year after the franchise tag?

Yes you can. The problem with that idea is that no other team is going to offer Alshon a long term deal on the transition tag because then they would have to give up two 1st round picks for him plus a huge contract. Not happening.

If the Bears true intention is to let Alshon test the market before making their final offer then it makes sense not to tag him because doing so would give Alshon more leverage and less incentive to get a long term deal done if he doesn't love the Bears offer and the Bears obviously don't want to be on the hook for another $16-17 million guaranteed for him this year. Ideally they'd like to spread the money out on a longer deal, which would decrease their risk in the event he gets hurt or suspended again.

There's still a chance he comes back people. No need to be all doom and gloom just yet.

With the transition tag as opposed to the franchise tag the salary owed is lower (top 10 at position vs. top 5) and they still get right of first refusal but if a guy signs a deal on a transition tag and the Bears don't match they get NO compensation, hence my thoughts as to why they wouldn't use it this year. But, with both franchise and transition tags both get the player top 5/top 10 salary OR 120% of their prior year salary, whichever is greater, so there is no salary advantage to using the lesser tag since in either case 120% of his 2016 tag salary will always be the higher of the two figures. The lack of use of the transition tag just confirms they didn't want to give him $17M guarantees for just one year under any circumstances other than one in which he signs a long term deal. Makes sense from that perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Mind boggling to watch the Fox presser and hear him talk about how they have to get better at the skill positions - WR/TE specifically- and yet they are pretty much set to lose Alshon for nothing.

Outside of HB, we need help at all skill positions, offensive and defensive. Fox just goes on with generalities again. I understand not wanting to show your hand, but man...

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
dll2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
dll2000 wrote:
Reported that Pryor isn't going to be tagged. Go get him Pace. Huge upside.

If they miss out on re-signing Jeffery then Pryor would be a nice consolation.

I'd rather have Pryor over course of 4 years. Upside is much larger in that he is bigger, better athlete and still learning and he doesn't seem to be as injury prone. Also didn't get hit with PED suspension.
G08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. White
2. Stills
3. Meredith
4. Braverman
5. Bellamy

#cuzBears

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Epyon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something worth mentioning was Kyle Long's two pretty impressively passive aggressive tweets that came out when the news dropped that we where letting Alshon hit the open market

https://twitter.com/Ky1eLong/status/836317404925833217

"Sometimes no matter how much potential you see in someone, they still never figure it out. Ur attitude determines everything. Dont be a -"

and (in response to a fan responding to the above tweet.... and asking if Kyle would then be satisfied with Cam Meredith being the team's #1 receiver)

https://twitter.com/Ky1eLong/status/836387077092564992

"Cam Meredith will be compensated as a 1 receiver and earn his contract through skilled performance and football IQ. That's what I think💁🏼‍♂️ "

Both of those could easily be taken as digs at Alshon... and if that kind of sentiment towards Alshon extended beyond Long to the rest of the locker room, or the coaching staff, then it's frankly a wonder he managed to stay on the team as long as he did.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
1. White
2. Stills
3. Meredith
4. Braverman
5. Bellamy

#cuzBears

That is not horrendous. My guess is they would add a 4th round pick as well to push Braverman back down.
ColGerBear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give Kamar Aiken a chance.
Previously with the Ravens, had a good 2015 with 75 catches for 944 yards, did not see that much play in 2016.
He wants to be on the field and can play outside at 6-2 213lbs.

Not talking about a #1 receiver in Aiken but let him battle it out with Meredith and White for WR #2-4

2015: Adrian Amos
WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Meredith
2. Stills
3. White
4. Taywan Taylor (4th)
5. Braverman
6. Bellamy

That would be a solid group with a ton of additional speed.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight issues in college, got "mentored" by Brandon Marshall, and a drug suspension in his contract year, yet now he talks to Josina Anderson as if he's a saint, as if he's Jerry Rice, as if he truly is going to put this "contender" he goes to (mind you, contender is in quotes because he's likely going to go to SF, Philadelphia or Tampa, all of which will be lucky to even sniff playing in February in the next 3 years) over the top, as if he plays every game relatively healthy. What a joke. Get lost, Alshon.
TankWilliams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, theoretically, how would you guys feel about this:

Alshon's contract will be roughly 15 million per, right? We are saving about 5 million on cutting Royal. So thats 20 million saved from those two cut/not resigned. But we can invest it right back into the WR position.

What if we were able to spend that 20 million, plus a couple million more, and grab both Terrelle Pryor and Kenny Stills? Honestly, I think a WR group of Kevin White, Terrelle Pryor, Kenny Stills, and Cameron Meredith is better than Alshon Jeffery, Kevin White, Cam Meredith, and Eddie Royal. Slight downgrade at #1, but a HUGE upgrade at the slot WR. Pryor will be a cheaper option than Jeffery.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

#KnowThemFromAdam

"I'd love to win a championship in the city of Chicago."

@ChicagoBears WR Alshon Jeffery

TankWilliams

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Quote:
Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

#KnowThemFromAdam

"I'd love to win a championship in the city of Chicago."

@ChicagoBears WR Alshon Jeffery

Thats a really good sign.
dll2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TankWilliams wrote:
So, theoretically, how would you guys feel about this:
Honestly, I think a WR group of Kevin White, Terrelle Pryor, Kenny Stills, and Cameron Meredith is better than Alshon Jeffery, Kevin White, Cam Meredith, and Eddie Royal. Slight downgrade at #1, but a HUGE upgrade at the slot WR. Pryor will be a cheaper option than Jeffery.

Agreed 100%.

I am high on Pryor. He was basically best athlete in country coming out of high school. I had him on my fantasy team and watched him a lot. Without him Cleveland might not have scored more than a dozen points last year. Teams game planned for him.

He was a top basketball prospect as well. One of top 5 - 10 all around athletes in NFL arguably the best. He just switched to WR for first time and played surprisingly well.

Size, hands and speed and still learning the position. That's a lot of upside for next 4 years. A small gamble with a lot of upside.

Meredith I think played very well for a rookie and has nice upside as well. That was a very nice find by Pace. I think that was equivalent to a 2nd round pick.

Stills and White (<- hopefully) can make some big plays for you and stretch the field.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: