Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Detroit Lions Offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Because you know... we can't have enough OL when you have a defense like we do.

You can't have enough OL, period. Dallas and Atlanta teach us this. This draft is loaded with defensive talent, so I understand Quinn's thinking in really investing hard on the OL in FA and hitting the defence in the draft.
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offensive linemen get injured just as frequently as other players it is not bad to have some versatile ones in that can slide into any position. To often you have to jumble around a line in order to slide pieces in. When you have multiple versatile linemen you can keep players in their natural position and slide in a very good lineman. Smart by Quinn for being smart. It's kind of like women you can have all the sexy you want but if there is nothing to them then what is the point. You can sign all the sexy players you want but if that allows you nothing else then whats the point. Go for the practical player who fills a need and a system. Defense will come and when it does it will be a specific player for the right reasons. The great teams always draft offensive linemen and keep them in reserve. I still think that we might trade away Tomlinson. Seattle needs linemen like crazy. This draft is very Defense heavy. Haasan Reddick is a nice LB who posses the qualities you want in a LB. He is fast athletic and has great not good but great instincts his play recognition is above average. Quinn will have us as a contender either this season or at the least next season.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem in filling depth positions in free agency. The defensive players are not available in our price range IMO. I would like to see u add a DE but for what we could spend he won't be an impact player anyways.

I think Quinn is properly assessing the market of available players and thinking he has a better chance at impact players in the draft. I don't like letting Levy go but Warrilow has produced a heck of a lot more in the last two years than Levy has so you can say we have upgraded LB, just not as much as most of us would like.
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I see no problem in filling depth positions in free agency. The defensive players are not available in our price range IMO. I would like to see u add a DE but for what we could spend he won't be an impact player anyways.

I think Quinn is properly assessing the market of available players and thinking he has a better chance at impact players in the draft. I don't like letting Levy go but Warrilow has produced a heck of a lot more in the last two years than Levy has so you can say we have upgraded LB, just not as much as most of us would like.

Defensive Tackles like Hankins and Poe are likely asking for a ton of money due to their age and productivity. Though with a guy like Hankins he might have his bluff called and be forced to sign with a team for far cheaper than he would like. Right now only the Redskins have been sorta linked to him.

As far as defensive ends go, nearly all of the top guys have been accounted for so what you have left are a bunch of dudes over 30. That is not necessarily bad if you are looking for depth guys that can provide leadership for younger guys that you might acquire in the draft. Someone like Freeney or Chris Long. Dumervil is also still out there and while he was injured a bit last year he was fairly productive when out on the field. I would not mind seeing the Lions sign him for a couple of years.

Not many linebackers out there that are appealing imo. You've got Zach Brown but he is going to be too expensive. Could take a chance on a guy like Perry Riley and hope that last year was not a fluke. Too bad Levy didn't work out like we all hoped he would. That guy was so good in space.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually surprised by all the defensive players still available in free agency.

Dontari Poe DT
Johnathan Hankins DT
Barry Church S
T.J. McDonald S
Sylvester Williams DT
Zach Brown. LB
Kevin Minter LB
Morris Claiborne CB
Alterraun Verner CB
Perry Riley Jr LB
Darius Butler CB
Darrelle Revis CB
Brandon Flowers CB
Gerald Hodges LB
Tramon Williams CB
Brandon Carr CB
Alex Okafor LB
Mario Williams DE
Chris Long DE
Sterling Moore CB

Also doesn't seem like alot of RBs have been signed yet.

Of course, this applies to the whole league, not just the Lions. Maybe the draft being very deep with defense and running backs is making teams use caution before signing these guys to large contracts when they could get similar or better talent in the draft on rookie deals.

Sig by El Ramster
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raiders and Lions reportedly the only two teams interested in Adrian Peterson and watching his status on asking price.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Raiders and Lions reportedly the only two teams interested in Adrian Peterson and watching his status on asking price.

I'm not sure I want AP. Even in his prime, AP needed an offence centered around him to be successful. Now he's in decline and his body is breaking down and his skillset hasn't grown in versatility since. I'd rather draft a RB or get Jaamal Charles.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:

I've seen reports of him and Green Bay.

Sig by El Ramster
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dontari Poe signed with Atlanta for 1 year - 8M.

ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy with a finish of AP and Morris Claiborne and then go front 7 in draft.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin-Stafford wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:

I'm not sure I want AP. Even in his prime, AP needed an offence centered around him to be successful. Now he's in decline and his body is breaking down and his skillset hasn't grown in versatility since. I'd rather draft a RB or get Jaamal Charles.

I think this is incorrect. AP never had a QB to play with that helped take defenders out of the box or could take advantage of it when they stacked the box. AP got hurt last year, but the year before he was almost a 1,500 yard rusher at 4.5 ypc behind a suspect O line. yes he is getting older, but if on the field, he easily makes more of an impact for our team than most RBs available especially Charles. I don't see Charles bringing anything that Abdullah doesn't. AP at least can bang inside the tackles and get the tough yards.
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
I'd be happy with a finish of AP and Morris Claiborne and then go front 7 in draft.

Sorry to crush you but Claiborne just signed with the Jets
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Typical_Lions

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could probably get Hankins on a one year deal. They have some money to play with it's just a matter of how much will it take to get him to come for one year.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical_Lions wrote:
Could probably get Hankins on a one year deal. They have some money to play with it's just a matter of how much will it take to get him to come for one year.

Id give him a 2 or three year deal and cut Ngata.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
Typical_Lions wrote:

Id give him a 2 or three year deal and cut Ngata.

Without even thinking about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: