Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rob Gronkowski

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Rob Gronkowski Reply with quote

https://i.reddituploads.com/e9531035bd274476933727c5d062f29d?fit=max&h=1536&w=1536&s=b3612868d916c22fa49d772d39522b9e

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/time-patriots-trade-rob-gronkowski-article-1.2959577

Thoughts on the Lions making a move? I know some people are not liking Ebron as our go to TE.

Personally the injury concerns worry me. The cost would most likely be too much to acquire him.
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what the Pats want for Gronk id consider it, if its something like a 2nd this yr and a 4th next yr id do it, we need another "Play maker" for the offense side of the ball. you could see it in the loss to Seattle imo
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. Cost would be too high and we've already had too many issues with tight ends getting hurt. There are plenty of talented tight ends in this draft that they should consider instead.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Calvin-Stafford

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were an asset-laden team with a lot of picks to throw around, I'd say knock yourself out and go get him, but that isn't where the Lions are at right now. A team like Tennesee or Cleveland is in a much better position to make this kind of move.
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of along the lines of where we can upgrade TE through the draft or a less costly player but it'd be interesting to know what they would want for Rob Gronkowski. He's still pretty young and I think has at least two years of GREAT TE play. I'd just have to see the offer.

I think I would give up our 2nd round pick, straight up pretty easily for a weapon like Rob Gronkowski, mostly because we couldn't even sniff him if he hit free agency so it's about the only way we could acquire someone with his talent.

To be completely honest though I would focus on the O-line/RB first and TE as a after thought.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrugges wrote:
I'm kind of along the lines of where we can upgrade TE through the draft or a less costly player but it'd be interesting to know what they would want for Rob Gronkowski. He's still pretty young and I think has at least two years of GREAT TE play. I'd just have to see the offer.

I think I would give up our 2nd round pick, straight up pretty easily for a weapon like Rob Gronkowski, mostly because we couldn't even sniff him if he hit free agency so it's about the only way we could acquire someone with his talent.

To be completely honest though I would focus on the O-line/RB first and TE as a after thought.

I agree with this. We need playmakers and no one in the league is a better playmaker than Gronk. If not for health issues there would be no mention of him being available but if those health concerns dropped him to a 2nd round pick, I would jump on it all day.
Lions017

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh...I'm unsure. He's the best TE in the league but trading for him is definitely a "win now" move, and you have to be concerned about his (in)ability to stay healthy. If you think that he's one piece will put this team over the top to win a championship then make the move (as long as it's not an outrageous cost), but if you think the team needs a lot of work then I would suggest staying away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gronk is an amazing and could be an all time great at TE but he can't play a full season any longer. Everytime they say he is healthy he gets hurt. I think that we either draft a TE or look else where. I wouldn't mind having him but as far as injury concerns I don't think it would be wise to pay that much and have a questionable return.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
Gronk is an amazing and could be an all time great at TE but he can't play a full season any longer. Everytime they say he is healthy he gets hurt. I think that we either draft a TE or look else where. I wouldn't mind having him but as far as injury concerns I don't think it would be wise to pay that much and have a questionable return.

I feel like risking a 2nd round pick on Gronks health is a lot less risky than using a 2nd round pick on a college player. You may get more return over time from a college player but at least with Gronk you know the upside.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:

I feel like risking a 2nd round pick on Gronks health is a lot less risky than using a 2nd round pick on a college player. You may get more return over time from a college player but at least with Gronk you know the upside.

Not only that, but he's 27 and has already played 8 seasons. Some of these guys that are coming into the league are only 4 years younger and that's possibly how long you'll have to wait to see if you have anything in them. I would trade a 2nd for Gronk over taking a TE in the first 4 rounds this year. Injuries and all.

I have mono you [inappropriate/removed]
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a risk reward situation and I wouldn't want to give up to much. A first no way but a second yes but I would want a 5th to go along with it. I do like some of the TE's in the draft this year. I like Engram as a 4th rounder because he is explosive and a great slot end. I think after the combine and pro days that Engram will be graded out higher because of his abilities not to mention he is praised by many as a great blocker for his size. He approaches blocking like a 250 pounder.

Howard is someone who scares me because the production was not there at Bama. He really only had a couple of games where he was dominate. Njoku is a scary good prospect. TE's are hard to judge in college because they don't always use them in the same manor as the NFL.

Roberts out of Toledo is a monster. Big physical and catches touchdowns at an absurd rate. He could end up being the most complete TE in this draft because of his ability to both block and receive.

There are options at TE in the draft that I think I would ultimately explore before deciding on an injury prone player who has all the talent and the back of a 10 year vet. Like I said it comes down to risk reward. I don't think Quinn is the type to throw a second at someone.
TimeForChange

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
Sllim Pickens wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:

Not only that, but he's 27 and has already played 8 seasons. Some of these guys that are coming into the league are only 4 years younger and that's possibly how long you'll have to wait to see if you have anything in them. I would trade a 2nd for Gronk over taking a TE in the first 4 rounds this year. Injuries and all.
Lotta miles on those wheels. Given his injury history and the way he plays he will only get hurt more and while grabbing him for the right price would be nice I think a 2nd is too high given what our team needs are right now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: