You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Prime Calvin Johnson vs Julio Jones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's better?
Prime Calvin Johnson
85%
 85%  [ 82 ]
Julio Jones
14%
 14%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 96

M.10.E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin Johnson.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP3MVP wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
CP3MVP wrote:
What exactly does Calvin do better than Julio?

Julio has better hands is a better route runner and is better at YAC

Jones has slightly better hands.
- Outside of his Prime Years ('10-'12) when he was receiving looks Jones could only wish for, Johnson had less drops per target than Jones.
- 6.8 Drops per Year from '10-'15 to 4.2 per Year for Jones '11-'16.

However, for all the love Jones gets as a complete receiver he has never been a scoring threat. I mean, sure on paper he is a threat to score from anywhere, but he has eclipsed double digit touchdowns once in his entire career. Johnson averaged 9 TDs a season; Jones averages 6.

Honestly, Prime Calvin Johnson was simply on another level. He was, without question, a Hall of Famer. Like one of those guys where I could say "if he retired right now, he has a viable argument." I cannot say the same for Jones. I saw Prime Johnson be the only reason the worst football team ever was at least competitive in a few games as he tried to carry them on his back. Cannot say the same for Jones.

So averaging 3 touchdowns more per season puts him on another level as a scoring threat.

When it's literally 150% the production of the other guy with less QB play? Yes. Yes it is. Especially when Calvin's non-10 TD seasons were the outlier and Julio's 10 TD season has been the outlier.

Quote:
I like PFF.

Go straight to hell.
SemperFeist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julio Jones.

He actually helps his team win games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say Calvin, but that Lions team was passing the ball a ridiculous amount. I also felt like he benefit from garbage time stats more than any other WR I've ever seen. Still gonna say Calvin. As athletic as Julio is, Calvin was on another level.

Lil Uno with the sig.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
During that stretch he was still darn good but he wasn't the guy in 2009. He's no longer regarded as the best in league or in that convo.

...yeah, because Calvin Johnson was undoubtedly better. Not sure what that proves.

And because he was on the downside if his career.

Dude, what are you talking about?

He had 3 seasons of 1200+ yards between 2010-2013. He was not on the downside of his career. He was still really freakin' good. The ONLY reason he wasn't in the convo is because he wasn't on Calvin's level. There is no point in Andre's career where he was as good as Calvin at his peak.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Julio Jones.

He actually helps his team win games.

Oh Jesus... Rolling Eyes
reckless123

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:
reckless123 wrote:
During that stretch he was still darn good but he wasn't the guy in 2009. He's no longer regarded as the best in league or in that convo.

...yeah, because Calvin Johnson was undoubtedly better. Not sure what that proves.

And because he was on the downside if his career.

Dude, what are you talking about?

He had 3 seasons of 1200+ yards between 2010-2013. He was not on the downside of his career. He was still really freakin' good. The ONLY reason he wasn't in the convo is because he wasn't on Calvin's level. There is no point in Andre's career where he was as good as Calvin at his peak.

Dude, he was still performing at quite a high level I not only am aware of that but I acknowledged it. But in spite of those number, and if you watched him, he wasn't as explosive like the guy who was only guy to put up back to back 1500 yard seasons.

In this stretch you point to, quite a number of receivers were putting up those yardage totals. It was in 2011 when Calvin took that spot. It weren't 2010.

Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne were still producing at a quite a high level during their later years, as is Fitz, but it don't mean they the same players. Downside is a bit strong but he was exiting his prime at that point while Calvin was in the midst of it.

So that's what I'm talking about.

Be Humble. Sit Down.
Plat2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta go with prime Megatron
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin. his peak was goat level
Crickett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrashMan510 wrote:
calvin. his peak was goat level

I dunno man. After all, Calvin played in yesteryear, so he clearly can't be as good as the receivers playing today. So much time has passed and the players have only gotten better since he retired way way waaaay back in 2015. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where the Julio love is coming from. I think it's easily Calvin and this comparison is pretty horrible.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This answer is obvious.

NextBigThing championed against Calvin Johnson on a consistent basis, BECAUSE CALVIN JOHNSON WAS A THREAT TO RANDY MOSS. If my memory serves me right, NBT had no fear of Julio Jones. Jones is great but he's not on that level.

Lil Uno with the sig.
jarren

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Close but I'm going with the guy who averages the most receiving yards per game in NFL history... Julio.

People can knock him for his TDs but the Falcons don't make it a point to get him the ball in the redzone. Teams almost always double Julio in the redzone and Ryan is more than OK spreading the ball around. I'm not sure why we don't throw more fades to him on the goaline. He's shown he's more the capable of succeeding (Tampa and SD this season).

Another thing is and I've said this before is Ryan holds Julio back from some explosive plays. He just can't hit his WRs deep down the field like some other QBs can (Flacco, Rodgers, Big Ben and Stafford). Just take a look at this past seasons week 3 game vs Carolina. There were 3 different times where Ryan had Julio open deep and if he just hit Julio in stride they all would have gone for long TDs. Every single one of them was poorly thrown.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calvin Johnson is imo the greatest WR of all time.
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Calvin Johnson is imo the greatest WR of all time.
Uhhhh lol

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: