Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Offseason Strategy: RB's
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian Peterson will be a UFA on March 9th. Think
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd kick the tires to see if he's willing to play on a winning team for cheap. He'll probably still command big money though.

Also, Berry getting paid makes me so much happier about McCourty's contract.

Edit: Chiefs just released Charles. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested, but his legs must be just made of Play-Doh by now.
childofpudding

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is not much is going to happen. They'll stand pat with what they have besides some possible moves for depth behind Blount, White and Lewis. My one hope would be them moving on from Blount, but because Blount likes being on the team so much, he'll be cheap enough that they'll keep him.
ChazStandard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy, Peterson, Charles, L. Murray.

It's going to be an interesting RB off-season.
2016 - Julian Edelman WR: Rec: 98 Yds: 1106 TD: 3
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The running backs are all still there, and that remains a need. It'll be interesting to see if the Patriots bring back Blount or go for one of the other big names.
everlong

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt it'll happen, but Peterson on a one-year pact would be the most ideal. He's shown what he can do when he's out to prove something and he'll be behind a significantly better line.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everlong wrote:
Doubt it'll happen, but Peterson on a one-year pact would be the most ideal. He's shown what he can do when he's out to prove something and he'll be behind a significantly better line.

If he's willing to take a big discount to get a shot at playing in the Super Bowl, he'd make a ton of sense. Guy has all the money he will ever need, but playing in New England would give him a chance to cement his legacy. Plus the Patriots have a pretty good full back and he loves running behind the full back.
s3antana5757

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
everlong wrote:

If he's willing to take a big discount to get a shot at playing in the Super Bowl, he'd make a ton of sense. Guy has all the money he will ever need, but playing in New England would give him a chance to cement his legacy. Plus the Patriots have a pretty good full back and he loves running behind the full back.

To me, it seems like a poor fit. Peterson likes to run behind heavy sets, and with the moves NE has made so far this off-season, seems they are interested in chucking the ball around the yard more than running the ball a ton. Add in the fact that he had all those off-field issues, I doubt NE is interested.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s3antana5757 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
everlong wrote:

To me, it seems like a poor fit. Peterson likes to run behind heavy sets, and with the moves NE has made so far this off-season, seems they are interested in chucking the ball around the yard more than running the ball a ton. Add in the fact that he had all those off-field issues, I doubt NE is interested.

James Devlin had about 1/3 of the Patriots snaps last year. Glancing at the Vikings snap counts in 2013 and 2015 it looks like they used full backs on about 30 to 40 percent of snaps. In 2012 they used Felton, their fullback in 38% of snaps (while AP was in on 75% of snaps).
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
s3antana5757 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
everlong wrote:

James Devlin had about 1/3 of the Patriots snaps last year. Glancing at the Vikings snap counts in 2013 and 2015 it looks like they used full backs on about 30 to 40 percent of snaps. In 2012 they used Felton, their fullback in 38% of snaps (while AP was in on 75% of snaps).

With Gronkowski possibly healthy and Allen and Cooks added, I really can't imagine they will use 2 back sets much. Develin got a lot of snaps in lieu of a 2nd TE after Gronk got hurt and it seems - on paper at least - that the Pats will run more 4 wide than we have seen in recent years.

Last year's snap counts mean nothing when we're thinking about next year's team
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
s3antana5757 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
everlong wrote:

With Gronkowski possibly healthy and Allen and Cooks added, I really can't imagine they will use 2 back sets much. Develin got a lot of snaps in lieu of a 2nd TE after Gronk got hurt and it seems - on paper at least - that the Pats will run more 4 wide than we have seen in recent years.

Last year's snap counts mean nothing when we're thinking about next year's team

Except that Devlin did play even when Gronk and Bennett were both healthy. How Belichick and McDaniels used personnel in the past is a predictor of how they'll use personnel in the future. Obviously every team is different, but does not mean past habits are still not predictors for the future. When McDaniels and Belichick carried a full back they've used him (even 2007 had Heath Evans).
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:

Except that Devlin did play even when Gronk and Bennett were both healthy.

Of course he played some, but nowhere near as much. Once Gronk (week 2) and Brady were back (week 5), his snap counts were much lower until Gronk went down again. With 2 healthy TE's, no rookie QB to manage (Develin logged a lot of snaps when Brissett was on the field), and another dynamic WR, there's a lot less potential snaps for a plodding FB with no use other than heavy set blocking

Quote:
How Belichick and McDaniels used personnel in the past is a predictor of how they'll use personnel in the future.

This is totally false. The Pats have had years when they've barely used 2 TE's and other years when they've used a lot of 2 and 3 TE sets. Years where they use a FB extensively and years when they've used almost no FB.

Quote:

Obviously every team is different, but does not mean past habits are still not predictors for the future. When McDaniels and Belichick carried a full back they've used him (even 2007 had Heath Evans).

Except Evans was almost never used as a FB in the way Develin is. Kyle Eckel was the FB on the 2007 team and barely used. Under Belichick since Weis left (McDaniels and O'Brien) they've had:

2005: Patrick Pass played FB a little, as did Dan Klecko. Team was mostly 2/3 TE formations with very little FB play

2006: No true FB, Heath Evans used a little as a lead blocker but mostly a receiver out of 2 back sets, as a lead runner in heavy 1 back formations or H-back

2007: Same as 2006

2008: Evans played much less, Sammy Morris lined up at FB in a few formations but was almost strictly a runner

2009: No FB used. Usually used an OL or TE if/when they needed an extra blocker

2010: Tony Carter was cut early on, no FB used after

2011: No FB

2012: No FB used. Hernandez played in the backfield a little, Daniel Fells was used as a blocker when needed.

2013: Develin and Hoomanawanui both used as FB/TE/H-Back types

2014: Develin is used at FB, Hoomanawanui at H-Back

2015: No FB used, Hoomanawanui, Cleveland, and Williams play a little at H-Back but the team is almost exclusively single back

2016: When Brady was out and Gronk was out, FB used a lot. When they were both in there, mostly single back

Every year, the personnel groupings and scheme has been different to some degree. 2005 and 2007 were totally different in their mix of TE and WR, but neither team used a FB role much. 2012 -2013 were very different from 2014. 2015, without Develin, no FB was added and they went back to single back, 2 TE sets.

You can't predict it year to year. Develin doesn't offer much so if the team isn't going with a lot of heavy RB groupings (used mostly this year due to the lack of useful TE's on the roster with Gronk out and to protect Garoppolo/Brissett), there's no reason for him to play.

For Develin to get on the field, assuming health with everyone else, you have to take one of Edelman/Cooks/Hogan/Gronkowski/Allen (or Mitchell) off the field. The Pats have 4 quality WR's (5 if Amendola somehow hangs on) and 2 starting caliber TE's. It simply doesn't make sense to take those guys off the field for a mediocre FB like Develin. There's no need to run heavy sets much, unless you're playing a soft run D and want to pound them.
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patriots had Rex Burkhead in for a visit. I actually would be a huge fan of signing Burkhead. I think it would be a mistake to label him as a redundancy, as I do think he has the potential to be more than just a third down back. He showed a bit of that last year when Giovani Bernard got hurt. He's also apparently beloved in the locker room and by the coaching staff. He's got a little size on both Lewis and White and is a better BTT runner than either.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Patriots had Rex Burkhead in for a visit. I actually would be a huge fan of signing Burkhead. I think it would be a mistake to label him as a redundancy, as I do think he has the potential to be more than just a third down back. He showed a bit of that last year when Giovani Bernard got hurt. He's also apparently beloved in the locker room and by the coaching staff. He's got a little size on both Lewis and White and is a better BTT runner than either.

If we didn't already have White and Lewis I'd say we should definitely sign him.

Still, he'd be worth picking up and trying.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
m haynes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rex Burkhead is 5'10 210lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUV9rU8P01M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: