Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Cutler resurfaced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharpy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News flash. He would probably prefer to retire than come here anyways. Just read the supposed fan posts on this thread. This is not an easy place to play and if I were him. I would be looking at our O line and say! No THX!
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
I don't see us adding Cutler unless it's for somewhere around 10 million a year. I don't want any part of him, but at this point who else do we sign? If we can't work out a trade for McCarron or Siemian, then I think Cutler might be our only option. We could bring back Geno, but he is hurt and probably won't be ready to start the season. I would personally like to add Kap, but I'm sure our joke of an owner is against that.

Knowing our cap situation next year, the Jets would probably defer some salary to the future as they did with Fitzpatrick or how PHi/MIN did with Bradford. Your not going to get him for pennies, but my guess is first year would be something like an $8-10 million cap hit with "options" attached. Essentially an opt out would be included after year one (like Bradford's contract, but he played well enough to avoid getting cut).

I just think the Jay Cutler stigma is so overblown. You can get a legitimate QB with a track record at discount rate; worst case he's a bridge to Hack/Petty/other, best case he's a 4-5 year starter. What's not to gamble on?

Gamble isn't necessarily the right word. I'd go with losing bet.

Physically blessed, but his reputation as a coach killer and bad locker room guy didn't come out of nowhere, and that's before being a TO machine.

Bad locker room guy?

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/9/26/6848055/jay-cutler-chicago-bears-2014-season

I'm not sure bad locker room guy is accurate at all. You can knock him for a poor TD:TO ratio but compared to recent Jets QBs he'd be far better.

He's Eli Manning without the super bowl rings. May not be a rah rah type, doesn't mean he is a "bad locker room guy"... that would be the QB who complains over a $400 plane ticket, causing his teammate to knock him out Laughing

Yeah not even close man. Thats insulting to Eli Manning. Take a closer look at Jay CUtlers stats please...hes a step above Mark Sanchez and one of the most over rated QBs in the past 10 years. Maybe he doesnt throw as many picks but he doesnt win, he doesnt put up impressive numbers at all. I'll even do you one better, Ryan Fitzpatricks 2015 may be more impressive than jay cutlers 4500 yard season in denver, in which he threw 3 more picks than fitz and less TDs. The guy is mediocre at best on his best day. Hes maybe slightly better than Fitz at this point and even that is debatable. There is literally no reason to bring him here. It does nothing for us and its not the lazy mentor we need for the young kids.

If he signs a cheap deal he can be exactly what we wanted Fitz to be. Starter for the team and a clear benchmark for our young QBs. As long as we continue to build through the draft and give the young QBs a chance to compete I don't see the issue with signing Cutler. Especially because he could start for 2 years if needed, assuming we don't want to throw a 2018 rookie to the wolves. I don't think anyone is expecting Cutler to lead us to anything more than 6 wins, we would expect him to let us evaluate our speedsters that Fitz wasn't able to do.

You are vastly overrating the need for Cutler to evaluate the rest of the offense. We can evaluate our speedsters with Geno Smith or Petty just as well. And Cutler getting us 6 wins is pretty much the worst case scenario.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shouldn't be bringing in any QB with no upside. Our list should only be Geno, McCarron or Siemian.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:

If he signs a cheap deal he can be exactly what we wanted Fitz to be. Starter for the team and a clear benchmark for our young QBs. As long as we continue to build through the draft and give the young QBs a chance to compete I don't see the issue with signing Cutler. Especially because he could start for 2 years if needed, assuming we don't want to throw a 2018 rookie to the wolves. I don't think anyone is expecting Cutler to lead us to anything more than 6 wins, we would expect him to let us evaluate our speedsters that Fitz wasn't able to do.

You are vastly overrating the need for Cutler to evaluate the rest of the offense. We can evaluate our speedsters with Geno Smith or Petty just as well. And Cutler getting us 6 wins is pretty much the worst case scenario.

See I disagree, I don't know if we will be able to gauge our WRs or our OL with Geno at QB because he holds onto the ball too long and can't make pre snap reads. With Cutler we've seen a massive sample size so we would know if our line is playing bad or if Cutler is playing bad. With Geno it could be such a coin flip that we may not get an accurate read on the other positions. If we come out of this seasons with the question marks we had going into the season than that would be the worst case scenario. I'd be far more hesitant trade up if we think the rest of our team is indeed garbage.

I'm not trying to lobby for Cutler, I'm more so lobbying against the idea that Geno Smith should be our benchmark. If Hack/Petty beat out Geno are you comfortable with not taking a QB next year? This is certainly a difference in opinion but I'd value Hack/Petty beating out Cutler as a positive sign, with Geno I'd question if they only beat him because he wasn't 100% healthy or because he could be the scrub a lot of us think he is. I'd be okay with rolling with Petty/Hack or adding Siemian/McCarron because all these guys could potentially be a franchise guy. I just don't believe Geno has that potential anymore. IMO we roll into next season with no expectations and anything we get out of it is a positive. We should only be looking for growth from our young guys.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:
I don't see us adding Cutler unless it's for somewhere around 10 million a year. I don't want any part of him, but at this point who else do we sign? If we can't work out a trade for McCarron or Siemian, then I think Cutler might be our only option. We could bring back Geno, but he is hurt and probably won't be ready to start the season. I would personally like to add Kap, but I'm sure our joke of an owner is against that.

Knowing our cap situation next year, the Jets would probably defer some salary to the future as they did with Fitzpatrick or how PHi/MIN did with Bradford. Your not going to get him for pennies, but my guess is first year would be something like an $8-10 million cap hit with "options" attached. Essentially an opt out would be included after year one (like Bradford's contract, but he played well enough to avoid getting cut).

I just think the Jay Cutler stigma is so overblown. You can get a legitimate QB with a track record at discount rate; worst case he's a bridge to Hack/Petty/other, best case he's a 4-5 year starter. What's not to gamble on?

Physically blessed, but his reputation as a coach killer and bad locker room guy didn't come out of nowhere, and that's before being a TO machine.

Bad locker room guy?

I'm not sure bad locker room guy is accurate at all. You can knock him for a poor TD:TO ratio but compared to recent Jets QBs he'd be far better.

He's Eli Manning without the super bowl rings. May not be a rah rah type, doesn't mean he is a "bad locker room guy"... that would be the QB who complains over a $400 plane ticket, causing his teammate to knock him out Laughing

Yeah not even close man. Thats insulting to Eli Manning. Take a closer look at Jay CUtlers stats please...hes a step above Mark Sanchez and one of the most over rated QBs in the past 10 years. Maybe he doesnt throw as many picks but he doesnt win, he doesnt put up impressive numbers at all. I'll even do you one better, Ryan Fitzpatricks 2015 may be more impressive than jay cutlers 4500 yard season in denver, in which he threw 3 more picks than fitz and less TDs. The guy is mediocre at best on his best day. Hes maybe slightly better than Fitz at this point and even that is debatable. There is literally no reason to bring him here. It does nothing for us and its not the lazy mentor we need for the young kids.

What is the point of drafting QBs if we want to keep bringing in washed up vets to be temp QBs...makes no sense and well never learn what we have. Time to play the kids and suck it up for a year.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we should touch a QB in the draft this year. Reason being is we have so many other needs that it'd be a wasted pick, bc we seem to want to bench every QB we draft for 2 years when we can develop a player at a different position ASAP and actually start them. No sense of drafting a QB until we see what Hack can do. That's why I want him to start at least 6-8 games this year regardless who we bring in. I don't want us to bring in a guy like Kaep or Cutler bc they block the potential of starting Hack at all this year. I'm not against bringing in a cheap vet like Keenum or Foles, but for me they really are a waste of money and just blocking Hack. I think we need to quit babying Hack and play him. If nothing else it clears up that we need a QB big time in the draft next year and make it next year we finally move up and get one. The better alternative is Hack is the answer and we already have our franchise guy. The best thing we can do right now is surround Hack with players. Get an upgrade at LT and C and make the defense better so he doesn't have to score 30 points a game to win. We seem to be one of the only franchises that big time babies our QBs and look where its gotten us. Geno should've started the last 2 years and Hack should this next year. Instead we got Fitz 2 years in a row and who knows in 2017. Opportunity is all these guys need most the time. Confidence is 2nd and that comes with opportunity and play.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Jetsfandan423 wrote:

Bad locker room guy?

What is the point of drafting QBs if we want to keep bringing in washed up vets to be temp QBs...makes no sense and well never learn what we have. Time to play the kids and suck it up for a year.

I'm by no means against letting the young guys play. I do think we need to add A quarterback. I don't think rolling into camp with just Petty/Hack is a good idea.
Kyu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I don't think we should touch a QB in the draft this year. Reason being is we have so many other needs that it'd be a wasted pick, bc we seem to want to bench every QB we draft for 2 years when we can develop a player at a different position ASAP and actually start them. No sense of drafting a QB until we see what Hack can do. That's why I want him to start at least 6-8 games this year regardless who we bring in. I don't want us to bring in a guy like Kaep or Cutler bc they block the potential of starting Hack at all this year. I'm not against bringing in a cheap vet like Keenum or Foles, but for me they really are a waste of money and just blocking Hack. I think we need to quit babying Hack and play him. If nothing else it clears up that we need a QB big time in the draft next year and make it next year we finally move up and get one. The better alternative is Hack is the answer and we already have our franchise guy. The best thing we can do right now is surround Hack with players. Get an upgrade at LT and C and make the defense better so he doesn't have to score 30 points a game to win. We seem to be one of the only franchises that big time babies our QBs and look where its gotten us. Geno should've started the last 2 years and Hack should this next year. Instead we got Fitz 2 years in a row and who knows in 2017. Opportunity is all these guys need most the time. Confidence is 2nd and that comes with opportunity and play.

If Hack played this year, he'd be done. Game action has two effects on confidence. Either they come in and succeed and their confidence grows, or you have a Osweiler situation where they're playing when they're not ready and struggle mightily, hear about it every second of every day, and become a shell of themselves.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyu wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

If Hack played this year, he'd be done. Game action has two effects on confidence. Either they come in and succeed and their confidence grows, or you have a Osweiler situation where they're playing when they're not ready and struggle mightily, hear about it every second of every day, and become a shell of themselves.

Im pretty convinced Hackenberg was just a waste of a draft pick for us. We are drafting a QB either this year or next which means he's not in the long term plans. He needed to go somewhere where he could sit behind a guy for a couple years, that wasn't the case here.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

Im pretty convinced Hackenberg was just a waste of a draft pick for us. We are drafting a QB either this year or next which means he's not in the long term plans. He needed to go somewhere where he could sit behind a guy for a couple years, that wasn't the case here.

He may very well have been. I hated the pick but i do see the upside. We cant take a QB at 6 this year. It would be a nightmare.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

He may very well have been. I hated the pick but i do see the upside. We cant take a QB at 6 this year. It would be a nightmare.

Yea I don't buy us looking at QB at 6. We are setting ourselves up for 2018 draft in the event things don't work out this season.
Rickjets2007

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not want Jay Cutler or Trevor Siemian.
Here is why:

We are in full on rebuild mode. Getting Cutler might get us 3 wins with this team. 3 wins next season may take us out of the running for the number 1 pick. I do not want Trevor Siemian because I do not want to waste a draft pick on this guy. We need as many draft picks as possible to successfully rebuild.

If we have to sign a free agent QB or Trade for one, they are not the QB of the future for this team. We have 2 young QB's on the team now. We need to start Bryce Petty. This is his third season. We need to see him with a full off season and see what we got.

No team will ever come out and tell their fans, "Hey we are tanking the season to get the number 1 pick." You just can't come out and say it. But, that is what we are doing. And guess what? I am 100% for it.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickjets2007 wrote:
Here is why:

We are in full on rebuild mode. Getting Cutler might get us 3 wins with this team. 3 wins next season may take us out of the running for the number 1 pick. I do not want Trevor Siemian because I do not want to waste a draft pick on this guy. We need as many draft picks as possible to successfully rebuild.

If we have to sign a free agent QB or Trade for one, they are not the QB of the future for this team. We have 2 young QB's on the team now. We need to start Bryce Petty. This is his third season. We need to see him with a full off season and see what we got.

No team will ever come out and tell their fans, "Hey we are tanking the season to get the number 1 pick." You just can't come out and say it. But, that is what we are doing. And guess what? I am 100% for it.
All valid points, I have no problem rolling with Bryce but I still think we need to sign at least one QB that is estimated around his play level.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

I disagree. I think the main problem is people want Hack and go 11-5. Everyone should know that won't happen. Go look at virtually every qbs 1st year starting, they weren't good. Let's just look to last year... Wentz looked good early and struggled big time as the year went on. Never once did philly say bench him. Bc it's part of the process. God was in a different situation and only started like 1/3 of the year and struggled yet LA will stay with the process, bc you have to be patient. We've became a franchise that has no patience and that freaks out when we aren't good. Yes sometimes a QB just isn't good, but I don't think anyone can say Hack doesn't have all the tools to succeed in the NFL. Play him this year and let him get the bumps and bruises. This will set up for the future. Maybe this season and even next season are rough, but Hack will still only be 24 and we could have our guy for 10-15 years.
JETSsuperbowl43

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rickjets2007 wrote:
Here is why:

I just can't see how anyone could reasonably believe the Jets are going into this season trying to "tank." Every single fan should be completely disgusted if that was their game plan, and frankly it just doesn't make any sense. Woody Johnson has never shown himself to be an owner who tolerates losing for any extended period of time so there's absolutely no way Todd Bowles should or would feel comfortable fielding a team he believes only has the capability of winning one to four games. This regime hasn't built up enough good will with the media or the public to waste the season ticket holder's money again.

The Jets should absolutely be building for the future, but assuming they're going to toss this season away before the draft is ludicrous. If they start the year 0-5, yeah okay we can start talking about tanking, but not before they even play a game.

As for Cutler, I understand his attitude is going to rub people the wrong way and the last thing any of us wants is someone who acts like they don't give a damn, especially after nearly half a century of losing. But if we really care about Enunwa and Anderson's development he might be our best option. He's the only available QB with any kind of quality on his resume, save for maybe Kaepernick and we're definitely not going after him.

Do I think Jay Cutler is great? Absolutely not, but he might be the best guy to get the most out of the young receivers we're trying to develop and in my opinion that's the single most important thing about the 2017 season. Much like the situation the Yankees are in, fans need to see legitimate reason to believe in this regime as talent-evaulators/developers. The worst possible outcome for this year is seeing the young guys regress and that's exactly what would happen if we sit tight and roll with Petty or someone else who has no business starting football games in the NFL. Like him or not, Cutler is one of the 32 best QB's in the NFL and probably our best hope of putting Enunwa and Anderson in a position to succeed.

Last edited by JETSsuperbowl43 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: