Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jay Cutler resurfaced
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Jay Cutler resurfaced Reply with quote

I wanted to make a thread for Jay Cutler discussion.

Yes, it has become fun to make him out to be a "poor character" player.
Yes, he is a frustrating quarterback given how talented he is.
Yes, it has become popular to make fun of him via Internet meme's.
Yes, he throws some very maddening turnovers.
Yes, he is an a-hole by many accounts.
Yes, he has poor body-language.
No, his chances of being a very good QB are not over.

Hot Take: I would support bringing aboard Jay Cutler if the price is right.

Cutler has gotten an unfair wrap over the past few years, and it all started because Chicago fans deemed he lacked heart since he didn't play through an MCL sprain in the second half of a 2011 playoff game.

By most accounts, many of his teammates do like him (yes, even Brandon Marshall who seems to have reconciled with him sometime last offseason). Forte has had a lot of positive things about Cutler and has defended his personality as well. Essentially, Cutler comes off as a [inappropriate/removed] and he has Eli Manning-isms, but it's not like we're talking about a player with character concerns. He's a hard worker and is competitive, just not in ways people have wanted him to be.

So why would it make sense for the Jets to bring him in, given that he's a turnover machine and has all the media baggage - fair or unfair - following him? He can still be a very good QB.

It was only one year ago when Cutler had arguably his most effective season as a pro. Despite his age (34 in April, which is considered middle-aged for QBs this era) Cutler still has all the physical abilities he possessed in his 20s and remains one of the more talented QBs in the NFL. Coaches and talent evaluators alike still see him as a starting QB, and I don't take Cutler as one to view himself as a backup either. He's the opposite of Ryan Fitzpatrick in terms of talent and has been an average-to-above average starting QB for the better part of his career. In my opinion he absolutely can still be redeemed, and possibly even evolve back into the "franchise QB" ranks, the main thing for me comes down to money. How many teams will legitimately want to bring Cutler in? I can see Houston or San Fran on a cheap deal, but otherwise, it'll be slim pickings for him. If Houston is dedicated to going for a young QB and SF were to get Garoppolo, Cutler's only opportunity to start is likely with the Jets.

If and only if Cutler is willing to take a short-term prove-it deal, I think we should keep an open-mind about the possibility of signing him. He's the type of QB that can lead this team to winning seasons if our defense plays up to their potential and would award us the opportunity to spend money elsewhere as well as allow Christian Hackenberg more time to develop.

Discuss.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Marshall is gone then I'm all for him on a 2 year deal. Last year when we played him they played a short video of him making fun of McCown haha it was great. He actually seems like a pretty funny guy. As long as we don't give up on youth.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never liked Cutler. His attitude, the way he seems to always not care about anything, etc. Just all runs me the wrong way. That's not the kind of guy you want leading your team.
But... if we don't feel confident in a young guybstarting (Petty, Hack or a rookie), someone need to be brought in to bridge us to when a young guy is ready. Now with this hire at QB coach clearly there's ties to Cutier, so we can't ignore that. For me I wouldn't hate a 1yr cheaper deal for him and that's it. Bridge that gap like I stated. Cutler can't stay healthy so a youngster would have to play more than likely anyway. Production wise we would be getting a great arm talent that does turn the ball over quite a bit though. Add that he's 35 I believe there's no future in him, which could help us get him cheap. I'll say this... I'd much rather bring Cutler in on a 1 year deal before signing any other FA to a bigger deal.

Also seeing Deckers wife and Cutlers wife at games could be more entertaining than the actual game.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have no problem with a guy like Cutler on a short 1-2 year deal. What I do not want to do is give a guy like Taylor or Glennon a hefty multi year deal.

Any vet who is willing to come here and hold the fort for 1-2 years on a reasonable contract is ideal IMO.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. The guy is a cancer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would rather Glennon over Cutler due to age, but the sad truth would be that Cutler would probably be the best QB the Jets have had in a while. Cutler is the definition of "If the price is right"... but I personally don't like the message by signing Cutler. We're clearly not in position to contend and in signing Cutler we probably flirt with 8-8 ball and put us in position to not be able to grab an elite QB.
Rich51

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to trade for him; if Chicago cuts him and we can get him on a 1 or 2 year 6-10m deal, fine.

However, politics aside, with the same type of deal, I would prefer Kaepernick.
At one point only a few years ago he looked like a top 10 QB. I don't know if we have the right coaches to bring out his best, while Cutler has been pretty much the same every year.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Cutler resurfaced Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:

Cutler has gotten an unfair wrap over the past few years, and it all started because Chicago fans deemed he lacked heart since he didn't play through an MCL sprain in the second half of a 2011 playoff game.

By most accounts, many of his teammates do like him (yes, even Brandon Marshall who seems to have reconciled with him sometime last offseason). Forte has had a lot of positive things about Cutler and has defended his personality as well. Essentially, Cutler comes off as a [inappropriate/removed] and he has Eli Manning-isms, but it's not like we're talking about a player with character concerns. He's a hard worker and is competitive, just not in ways people have wanted him to be.

So why would it make sense for the Jets to bring him in, given that he's a turnover machine and has all the media baggage - fair or unfair - following him? He can still be a very good QB.

It was only one year ago when Cutler had arguably his most effective season as a pro. Despite his age (34 in April, which is considered middle-aged for QBs this era) Cutler still has all the physical abilities he possessed in his 20s and remains one of the more talented QBs in the NFL. Coaches and talent evaluators alike still see him as a starting QB, and I don't take Cutler as one to view himself as a backup either. He's the opposite of Ryan Fitzpatrick in terms of talent and has been an average-to-above average starting QB for the better part of his career. In my opinion he absolutely can still be redeemed, and possibly even evolve back into the "franchise QB" ranks, the main thing for me comes down to money. How many teams will legitimately want to bring Cutler in? I can see Houston or San Fran on a cheap deal, but otherwise, it'll be slim pickings for him. If Houston is dedicated to going for a young QB and SF were to get Garoppolo, Cutler's only opportunity to start is likely with the Jets.

If and only if Cutler is willing to take a short-term prove-it deal, I think we should keep an open-mind about the possibility of signing him. He's the type of QB that can lead this team to winning seasons if our defense plays up to their potential and would award us the opportunity to spend money elsewhere as well as allow Christian Hackenberg more time to develop.

Discuss.

Good post, just heard down here in Florida, that the Jets are interested in Cutler. Cutler has been a total mystery his whole career. He has all the tools, but has never lived up to expectations. With Petty & Hack, still being big question marks, Culter could be a good short term option. Maybe a change of venue might be what Cutler needs. He came into the league with so much promise, and after 12 years has never taken the steps to make him a elite QB. I don't know whether he needs a new team or a psychologist.
CorcoranGallery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Cutler can be a really good quarterback when he wants, but that's when he wants to give an effort and not let his attitude get in the way. I for one kind of like his attitude at times to a certain level because I think you need it at the position but sometimes I question his passion for the game.

It would take some thinking to get use to it.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jay Cutler resurfaced Reply with quote

[quote="doumeyer"]
jetskid007 wrote:

Discuss.

Good post, just heard down here in Florida, that the Jets are interested in Cutler. Cutler has been a total mystery his whole career. He has all the tools, but has never lived up to expectations. With Petty & Hack, still being big question marks, Culter could be a good short term option. Maybe a change of venue might be what Cutler needs. He came into the league with so much promise, and after 12 years has never taken the steps to make him a elite QB. I don't know whether he needs a new team or a psychologist.[/quote)

Another crazy story about Cutler is he benched press 225# twenty three times, when he did the NFL combines.
jetfuel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for getting Cutler. I do think he will be a jet in the very near future. The Jets have way to many connections with him. Marshall and Forte both played with him. Bates was his QB coach back in Denver and with the Bears. Cutler had his best years with Bates as his QB coach and they have a very strong relationship. Brandon Marshall only has 1 year left for like 7.5 mill which I think is a great deal and he has even said if the jets let him go he is done with football. I think he really want stop win and these guys will realize this is probably going to be their last year and best chance to win.

Cutler will come pretty cheap and I don't get the hype about Glennon. He is going to cost you a big contract and he has proven 0. If he is that good Tampa would have passed on Winston. He is going to want Brock O. money and he is not worth that. I think Taylor will never be a great QB so you will then again set this team back another 3 years. Cutler will fill the gap until Hack is ready. Yes I think Hack has a better chance of being better than Glennon and Taylor.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why everyone all of a sudden wants Cutler when two weeks ago, if someone mocked him, the majority of the forum would've ripped that person a new one. Cutler is a bandaid at best and a cancer at worse. The guy has a terrible attitude and is a very mediocre QB. He's also coming off of injury. We'd be better off taking a shot on a younger QB who will likely command similar money. Hell, I'd take a chance on Kaepernick, who I despise than take Cutler.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
No thanks. The guy is a cancer.

I wouldn't go this far, I think he gets a bad rap because of his attitude. IMO after thinking about this for a bit, I don't want Cutler. To me, he is a more talented version of Fitz. Could we potentially catch lightning in a bottle? Sure. But we could also very well get another turnover filled season, and I've had enough of that after watching Fitz this year.

I know a lot of people think Jay might come here because of the Bates connection, but I think that might be overplayed. He is just our QB coach, Morton will have a lot more say over who we bring in. I would much rather have Taylor, Kaep, or Glennon than Cutler.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it I'd be ok with Cutler on a 2 year deal.

He's more proven then Glennon although Glennon still has some upside and I think they would be paid similarly.

In a playaction downfield offense like Morton would run I think Cutler is a solid option. It's still all about developing Hack for at least one more year and having a proven QB is a must for next year.

I want to win, not tank, to build a winning culture. McCown, Hoyer, Barkeley etc are just tanking QB like Fitz.

Cutler's attitude is a bit overblown. Just like Glennon on a two year deal we want Hack to beat out whoever it is in year 2.

Props to Mack on the sig
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
The more I think about it I'd be ok with Cutler on a 2 year deal.

He's more proven then Glennon although Glennon still has some upside and I think they would be paid similarly.

In a playaction downfield offense like Morton would run I think Cutler is a solid option. It's still all about developing Hack for at least one more year and having a proven QB is a must for next year.

I want to win, not tank, to build a winning culture. McCown, Hoyer, Barkeley etc are just tanking QB like Fitz.

Cutler's attitude is a bit overblown. Just like Glennon on a two year deal we want Hack to beat out whoever it is in year 2.
You think Cutler helps build a winning culture? His attitude is not overblown. Nobody likes the guy or wants to play with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: