Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tony Dungy admits to stealing signals
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iothar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Tony Dungy admits to stealing signals Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18645192/tony-dungy-says-indianapolis-colts-stole-signals-cheat

In defense of Deion Sanders comments about the Colts knowing all the plays.

Only real story is how bitter LaDainian Tomlinson and Faulk still are.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Dungy said, stealing signals is not against the rules in the NFL. The Rams stole the Steeler's defensive signals in SB 14. The Steelers figured that out and began to send in plays with subs and signalling something else.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him. If you're not cheating (or at least pushing boundaries) you're not trying.
TomTheLegend17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toldya he a cheat. and they say it's just the patriots. yeah right. all teams cheat at some point. wa wa wa cry me a river of crocodile tears.
Starless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phony Dungy
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dungy justified stealing signals by saying everyone did it and it's been that way forever. But he made sure to point out it's not cheating. Well unless you tape it from the wrong place Laughing

I mean I get it. Rules are rules and if you shouldn't tape from a nondesignated area then that's wrong and that should have consequences. What gets me about the whole spygate thing was how everyone over reacted to it and how over the top the penalty was after said overreaction. Everyone (including the Colts) kept the mouths shut when it came to their signal stealing. Few were brave enough to admit to doing the same things (Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys and the Steelers). Everyone else pretended signal stealing didn't happen.

Mack on the sig
dante9876

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Dungy justified stealing signals by saying everyone did it and it's been that way forever. But he made sure to point out it's not cheating. Well unless you tape it from the wrong place Laughing

I mean I get it. Rules are rules and if you shouldn't tape from a nondesignated area then that's wrong and that should have consequences. What gets me about the whole spygate thing was how everyone over reacted to it and how over the top the penalty was after said overreaction. Everyone (including the Colts) kept the mouths shut when it came to their signal stealing. Few were brave enough to admit to doing the same things (Jimmy Johnson and the Cowboys and the Steelers). Everyone else pretended signal stealing didn't happen.

What advantage would a team have saying we all steal signals, pats just did it from the wrong place. What would be thr point of them doing that.
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:

My take on it is this:

To steal play calls from an unwitting coach requires only 2 eyes. Since all coaches have 2 eyes, and the opposite coach doesn't have to be unwitting, it stands to reason that stealing signals in that manner doesn't really violate any ethical code of conduct.

If the witting coach covers up or disguises his play calls from the human coach, and that coach takes lengths to use technology to secretly steal play calls...well then that's just cheating. No if's, and's or but's.

It's sort of like playing a shooter game with a friend on the same TV. If i screen watch am i a cheater? Maybe. But he can also do it, so there's no point in complaining about it. Now, if he takes length to avoid screen watching (such as playing on a different TV), and i install a camera to screen watch him anyway, i am DEFINITELY a cheater.

~T.S. Eliot
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:

It's very much the opposite. People don't know the extent of Spygate, and the NFL let the Patriots off with a slap on the wrist.

The NFL knew how damaging Spygate would be to its legitimacy. That is why the NFL destroyed the evidence so quickly. You don't destroy all of the evidence like Goodell did if you have nothing to hide.

I'm glad that Faulk has the balls to not let it go. He knows he was cheated. And he's not the only one.

It's no surprise that Dante Scarnecchia's son (who worked for the Patriots in their video department from 2001 to 2004) got caught videotaping an opposing team's practice illegally even after the Spygate scandal. We all know where he learned to do that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's pretty common to try and steal singles and try and match them plays.

I remember scouting a high school game as a staff and myself and the DC spend the first half watching the signals and what plays went with them so the following week we had them ready for the game.

If you are going to signal plays in, you are asking for them to be stolen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its not cheating then what's the big deal?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTheLegend17 wrote:
toldya he a cheat. and they say it's just the patriots. yeah right. all teams cheat at some point. wa wa wa cry me a river of crocodile tears.

*checks username*

*checks join date*

*checks post history*

Quality.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This in no way is similar to Spygate, nice try PatriotsWin! Not unless you're telling me the Colts too were taping teams walk throughs and practices? Don't compare the two.

If a Teams coaching staff is Stupid enough to utilize the same signals every game "without" switching it up sequence wise or altogether, that's on them. Blaming Dungy or another team for figuring out that Stupidity is asinine. It's not cheating in the slightest, it's intelligence. Has been in Baseball for a 100+ years. Not sure how anyone can believe it shouldn't apply to other sports as well.

I Guarantee you Bill Belicheck and dozens of HC do this very thing still today. He's just not Stupid enough to video tape practices anymore. I'd be absolutely shocked if their wasn't Patriots personnel studying game tape for signals and similarities from game to game for a competitive advantage, Shocked!!!

Bird Watch: TE Zach Ertz: 14Gm/ 106Tgt //78 Rec//812 Yds//4 TD//10.5 Y/R

Last edited by Nabbs4u on Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason coordinators in the NFL cover their mouths when calling in plays.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: