You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Draft Thread 2 Pro days & rumors!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rudyZ


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 17055
Location: Québec
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
We know my take on our draft position - I'm not touching a quarterback in in this draft at #2.

Other than that...I'm pretty open to whoever they choose. I mean, I'm not huge on Fournette at #2, but I would get it . Same for Hooker, Adams, Allen, etc. So long as we don't touch a quarterback.

Often, I do care about positional value, but given that we have needs just about everywhere, there is absolutely no need not to take the best player available rather than reaching for the quarterback, especially one I view as a third round prospect. I'll take a potential all pro at safety in Adams and Hooker over throwing a dart at a dartboard with the quarterback, particularly since there is no reason that we need to draft one this high at the current point in time.

Preference would certainly be to trade back, and like Rudy, I'm perfectly happy with not getting the "value" back for this pick. Move down, take a Foster / Barnett / Davis / Williams / etc, etc.



This would make me very happy. I'd love to take Davis, have Garçon show him the ropes, get his feet wet with Hoyer in year 1, then hopefully get our franchise QB next year, with Davis ready to step up as a #1 WR, Garçon #2, Kerley in the slot or whoever else we'll have found by then. If not, Barnett would be that pass rusher who, without being explosive or a perennial DPOY candidate, would slowly but surely always get his job done and get 10-12 sacks and solidify our entire D for the next 10 years. These two are my favorite targets in round 1.
_________________


RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 1827
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:


Alternatively, picking up Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas and then trading Armstead for extra picks could accomplish the same thing as the trade back scenario if someone wanted to make that trade for Armstead. But I see no way to get Allen/Thomas, Buckner, and Armstead on the field at the same time regularly, and that really limits the effect of our 1st round pick.


If we took Thomas at #2, I'd immediately offer Arik Armstead to the Bears for their 2nd round pick plus maybe an extra late rounder before they could take Jon Allen.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19733
Location: El Dorado Hills
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:


Alternatively, picking up Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas and then trading Armstead for extra picks could accomplish the same thing as the trade back scenario if someone wanted to make that trade for Armstead. But I see no way to get Allen/Thomas, Buckner, and Armstead on the field at the same time regularly, and that really limits the effect of our 1st round pick.


If we took Thomas at #2, I'd immediately offer Arik Armstead to the Bears for their 2nd round pick plus maybe an extra late rounder before they could take Jon Allen.


If we took Thomas or Allen and could then trade Arik for a very high second I'd be ecstatic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 1827
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:


Alternatively, picking up Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas and then trading Armstead for extra picks could accomplish the same thing as the trade back scenario if someone wanted to make that trade for Armstead. But I see no way to get Allen/Thomas, Buckner, and Armstead on the field at the same time regularly, and that really limits the effect of our 1st round pick.


If we took Thomas at #2, I'd immediately offer Arik Armstead to the Bears for their 2nd round pick plus maybe an extra late rounder before they could take Jon Allen.


If we took Thomas or Allen and could then trade Arik for a very high second I'd be ecstatic.


And if we ended up keeping Armstead after taking Thomas, I still wouldn't be mad. I think people over complicate what a Leo really needs to be. Everyone seems to believe you need this fast twitch up field pass rusher, but I think the ideal traits are more of being high motored and being able to funnel things back into the other 3 defensive linemen. I really don't think Thomas is as bad a fit as people make him out to be. I mean, in 96 Carroll had a 34 year old 6'5 289lb Chris Doleman playing the Leo/Elephant for us, and he had 11 sacks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:


Alternatively, picking up Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas and then trading Armstead for extra picks could accomplish the same thing as the trade back scenario if someone wanted to make that trade for Armstead. But I see no way to get Allen/Thomas, Buckner, and Armstead on the field at the same time regularly, and that really limits the effect of our 1st round pick.


If we took Thomas at #2, I'd immediately offer Arik Armstead to the Bears for their 2nd round pick plus maybe an extra late rounder before they could take Jon Allen.


If we took Thomas or Allen and could then trade Arik for a very high second I'd be ecstatic.


And if we ended up keeping Armstead after taking Thomas, I still wouldn't be mad. I think people over complicate what a Leo really needs to be. Everyone seems to believe you need this fast twitch up field pass rusher, but I think the ideal traits are more of being high motored and being able to funnel things back into the other 3 defensive linemen. I really don't think Thomas is as bad a fit as people make him out to be. I mean, in 96 Carroll had a 34 year old 6'5 289lb Chris Doleman playing the Leo/Elephant for us, and he had 11 sacks.


I Have no problems with keeping them both. Armstead may or may not fit the scheme...I really don't know. We have seen time and again that guys who aren't the "ideal" excel in various positions. I don't particularly love the the fit, so I wouldn't expect a whole ton of success, but what do I know? IF he's going to be a dominant lineman, I really feel it will happen either way.
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 19733
Location: El Dorado Hills
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMG1713 wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
AMG1713 wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:


Alternatively, picking up Jonathan Allen or Solomon Thomas and then trading Armstead for extra picks could accomplish the same thing as the trade back scenario if someone wanted to make that trade for Armstead. But I see no way to get Allen/Thomas, Buckner, and Armstead on the field at the same time regularly, and that really limits the effect of our 1st round pick.


If we took Thomas at #2, I'd immediately offer Arik Armstead to the Bears for their 2nd round pick plus maybe an extra late rounder before they could take Jon Allen.


If we took Thomas or Allen and could then trade Arik for a very high second I'd be ecstatic.


And if we ended up keeping Armstead after taking Thomas, I still wouldn't be mad. I think people over complicate what a Leo really needs to be. Everyone seems to believe you need this fast twitch up field pass rusher, but I think the ideal traits are more of being high motored and being able to funnel things back into the other 3 defensive linemen. I really don't think Thomas is as bad a fit as people make him out to be. I mean, in 96 Carroll had a 34 year old 6'5 289lb Chris Doleman playing the Leo/Elephant for us, and he had 11 sacks.


I wouldn't be mad either. But mostly I'd like the trade because Allen and Thomas are my two favorite picks at 2, and I think probably turn out better than Arik. So I'd be happy to take one of them to replace him and then swap Arik for a high second which we could then use on a LB like Watt, or a TE like Njoku, or a WR like Jones. Who knows maybe there's a surprise and a guy like McCaffrey or Reddick or Harris falls into the top of the second.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
48 1/2ers


Joined: 01 Aug 2011
Posts: 3981
Location: Northern California
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudy Ford, S, Auburn might be a late round guy we take a shot at. We met with him at the Senior Bowl even though an injury kept him off the field and were in attendance at his proday where he ran two 40's in the 4.2-4.3 range. Was a starter in the SEC for 3 years so he's got quite a bit of experience and has a solid build to him, looks like he can contribute in some capacity in the pros. You cant teach speed and you cant hate the experience he racked up, someone to keep an eye out for.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AMG1713


Joined: 05 Mar 2013
Posts: 1827
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:


I wouldn't be mad either. But mostly I'd like the trade because Allen and Thomas are my two favorite picks at 2, and I think probably turn out better than Arik. So I'd be happy to take one of them to replace him and then swap Arik for a high second which we could then use on a LB like Watt, or a TE like Njoku, or a WR like Jones. Who knows maybe there's a surprise and a guy like McCaffrey or Reddick or Harris falls into the top of the second.


Yeah, I'd love a scenario where we landed this in the first two rounds.

1-2 Solomon Thomas - DE
2-34 Tim Williams - LB
2-36 The top offensive weapon left on the draft board
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrissooner49er


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 5085
Location: Tulsa, OK
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
Feels weird to be thinking S st #2. I don't believe that one safety has been selected top 3 for over 30 years (or ever?) in League history... and these options don't seem special enough to do so now.

I hope they :

1. trade back, or combine #2 in some clever trade for a QB... or
2. select Thomas, or
3. select Trubs


Interesting as I think these are probably my three preference. I know Trubs isn't as near as high a prospect as we've seen in other years, but I'd rather take a shot at him than use the number 2 pick on a safety or ILB or TE. QBs are just that important! As long as we don't have one we'll struggle every year. There's no time like the present to begin to start our search for one. I think Thomas can be a defensive difference maker so I'm good with him at two. My preference, by a long shot, has always been to trade down.


I think I am about there with those 3 options as well...just do not want to take DBs (or RBs) so high when we have potential w/ our young guys already.
_________________
fa·nat·ic (f-ntk) A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
Draftday1:Garrett/Thomas/Barnett trade:McCaffrey,Cunningham,Watt,Davis 2-Awuzie,Engram,Kupp,Mixon,Westbrook 3-Switzer,Godwin,Perine,JordanEvans,Anzalone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMaxwell4


Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Location: SF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at later round talents I like the following:

I have wanted the Niners to have a big vertical/ red zone threat for a while, and I find these guys intriguing for that role and I think they can be had on day 3:

Mack Hollins, UNC:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/mack-hollins?id=2558262

From that link:

SOURCES TELL US "What's strange is this kid is tall and fast so I don't know why he would have been so under recruited. I don't know if he will ever be more than a deep threat and cover guy but those kinds of players make teams." - AFC East scout

BOTTOM LINE Hollins has four things that teams will look for on Day 3 of the draft -- height, weight, speed and special teams ability. Taller receivers usually need a longer runway for their build-up speed, but Hollins appears to be able to access his top gear relatively early which makes him such a dangerous deep threat considering his above average height. Hollins' ability to cover both punts and kicks should give him early work as he continues to learn the receiver position. Hollins has WR3 potential.




Kenny Golladay
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/kenny-golladay?id=2558052

BOTTOM LINE He will be a height, weight, speed prospect headed into the combine, but will need to prove he can run to solidify his draft standing. Golladay could be targeted by teams looking for a field-stretcher with size who has the potential to become a matchup problem in the redzone. Golladay has the talent to become an eventual starter in the league.




Robert Davis
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/robert-davis?id=2558254

This guys measurables are comparable to Julio Jones - no joke. Small school guy with decent production and NFL bloodlines.



And then at the Safety Position, there is a lot of buzz -- justifiably -- about Obi Melonfonwu to fit that Kam Chancellor role in our defense. Unfortunately, it looks like he will now be a 1st round pick.

I think this guy could fill that role and can be had on day 3 due to failed drug tests, not talent:

Josh Harvey-Clemons
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/josh-harvey-clemons?id=2557880

SOURCES TELL US "I love the athlete and the toughness, but he's a multiple-time (drug) tester on the college level. Those guys have a high rate of testing positive again. I need to do more background work on him but I really worry about suspensions for him." -- AFC North area scout

NFL COMPARISON Kam Chancellor


BOTTOM LINE Former five-star recruit with an alpha mentality who roams the field with swagger and undeniable intent as a tackler. Has elite size, length and athletic traits, and is a rangy tackler with the ability to cover and blitz. He could be considered by teams as a box safety or hybrid linebacker.
_________________
NFL: 49er's
College FB: Stanford
Soccer: Inter Milan/ Manchester City/ USA
Baseball: Giants
Rugby: London Irish/ All Blacks
Basketball: Warriors
NHL: Sharks

Michael Crabtree said: "...as for playing for the Raiders, no comment.”


Last edited by JMaxwell4 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JMaxwell4


Joined: 08 Dec 2008
Posts: 179
Location: SF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot one:
http://herosports.com/nfl-draft/2017-derrick-griffin-receiver-texas-southern-football-basketball

Derek Griffin

Former 4 star recruit. 6'7" WR who also was receiving looks from NBA scouts. Lots of academic issues and maturity issues (being late for meetings), but nothing criminal to worry about

Would love to take a shot on him in round 6 or 7
_________________
NFL: 49er's
College FB: Stanford
Soccer: Inter Milan/ Manchester City/ USA
Baseball: Giants
Rugby: London Irish/ All Blacks
Basketball: Warriors
NHL: Sharks

Michael Crabtree said: "...as for playing for the Raiders, no comment.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 11937
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

We're voting on the 49ers pick at 2 in the draft section, it would be great to have your thoughts and votes.

Thanks,

GFW

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=21410151
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fureys49ers


Joined: 31 Mar 2015
Posts: 962
Location: Sacramento, CA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read Trubs struggled with accuracy throughout his pro day. Would love to see him available with our 2nd rounder. Thomas in round one and Trubisky in round two would be a great start to Lynch's drafting career.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
y2lamanaki


Moderator
FF Fanatic
Joined: 03 Jan 2006
Posts: 13979
Location: Lancaster, PA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
Just read Trubs struggled with accuracy throughout his pro day. Would love to see him available with our 2nd rounder. Thomas in round one and Trubisky in round two would be a great start to Lynch's drafting career.


If he falls to the 2nd, then I'd be interested as well. I think that's the appropriate round for him, and he can have no pressure to start right away and sit behind Hoyer in 2017. We could then probably hold off on adding another WR early, play out the year as it is with Garcon, Kerley, Goodwin, 4th/5th round receiver. Next year when we'd be expected to play Trubisky, we could go after a WR early to get him a big weapon (or revisit Jeffery/Pryor/Another FA WR).
_________________


Future Hall of Famer Frank Gore's Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 8th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #7 Eric Dickerson: 194
*Yards needed to pass #6 Jerome Bettis: 597
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 19458
Location: Las Vegas
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:
Just read Trubs struggled with accuracy throughout his pro day. Would love to see him available with our 2nd rounder. Thomas in round one and Trubisky in round two would be a great start to Lynch's drafting career.


If he falls to the 2nd, then I'd be interested as well. I think that's the appropriate round for him, and he can have no pressure to start right away and sit behind Hoyer in 2017. We could then probably hold off on adding another WR early, play out the year as it is with Garcon, Kerley, Goodwin, 4th/5th round receiver. Next year when we'd be expected to play Trubisky, we could go after a WR early to get him a big weapon (or revisit Jeffery/Pryor/Another FA WR).


Id be shocked if he's there in the second. For some reason i have him locked in to Cleveland at 12. But if he did fall, I'd be interested. Still a reach for me (since i have a third on him) but an acceptable one for a quarterback, i think. Plus i think we are less committed. It could be the clausen scenario. If he fails to impress shanny, then we still make a run on cousins, jimmy g, or take a qb high in the draft
_________________


Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 60 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group