Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pittsburgh Steelers release Justin Gilbert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
candyman93

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Pittsburgh Steelers release Justin Gilbert Reply with quote

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers made a transaction on Monday and itís a surprising one.

Waived on Monday was cornerback Justin Gilbert, who the Steelers acquired in a trade with the Cleveland Browns just prior to the start of the 2016 regular season.

Gilbert, who dressed for 12 regular season games in 2016 for the Steelers, saw very little playing time on defense with most of it coming in the Week 4 game against the Kansas City Chiefs. The former first-round draft pick of the Browns registered 3 total tackles during the regular season with two of those being assisted tackles on special teams.

The Steelers traded a 2018 sixth-round draft pick to the Browns to acquire Gilbert.

The Steelers will likely suffer salary cap repercussions as a result of them cutting ties with Gilbert as he was guaranteed to earn $2,170,023 in 2017. Not only is Gilbertís $970,023 base salary in 2017 fully guaranteed, so is his $1.2 million roster bonus. Assuming Gilbert was waived by the Steelers, the team will need to hope that another team claims him in order to get out from underneath the final year of his contract.

In case youíre curious about the timing related to this transaction, February 6 is the first day of waivers for 2017.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/02/steelers-release-cb-justin-gilbert/

Joe Thomas tweeting this is about Gilbert is all you need to know:

Quote:
If you don't like football, it doesn't matter how talented you are, your star will burn out quick

2016 Adopt a Brownie - Joe Schoebert & Christian Kirksey
OleXmad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Justin Gilbert, the best cornerback prospect since Patrick Peterson.

Now he can't even make the a team with zero depth at CB, what a great pick.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OleXmad wrote:

I literally never saw anyone say that.

I admit, I liked him coming out....but if I knew he didnt have a passion for football, I likely wouldnt have. The talent was there.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember the 2014 draft. I think I had Justin Gilbert as my 4th ranked CB. I remember Kyle Fuller was #1 then I had Darqueze Dennard #2. I think I had Jason Varrett at #3 and then Gilbert. I had Bradley Roby near Gilbert as well.

I never was impressed by Gilbert when he played at OK State, never thought he was that good of a player when I watched him play. But I thought he would at least be solid as a pro.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

I admit, I liked him coming out....but if I knew he didnt have a passion for football, I likely wouldnt have. The talent was there.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2014/04/27/nfl-draft-cornerbacks/8322345/

"I believe I'm the best cornerback in this draft. I model my style of play after Patrick Peterson," - justin Gilbert.

I mean that's not exactly what he said, but close enough and I'm pretty sure a few people said it, can't remember exactly who though.

"Oklahoma State cornerbacks coach Van Malone, who played safety for the Detroit Lions from 1994 to 1997, says Gilbert is a hardworking player whose film study was central to his seven-interception rebound from a disappointing junior year."

Hardworking, sure man
[/quote]

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty league, PM me for a co-owner role.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh

NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
I pretty much fell out of my chair when this pick was made by the Browns. With Joe Haden in his prime, why would you draft a CB in the Top 10 and pass on Barr smh

We don't talk about 2014 in my house. Any utterance of the word "ray" or "farmer" and your mouth gets washed out with soap.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:

The worst part is that they traded back and took him while passing on Watkins, Mack and Evans. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:

The worst part is that they traded back and took him while passing on Watkins, Mack and Evans. Laughing

Watkins, Evans, and Mack by trading back.

The WORST part is that they still could have had Barr/OBJ and Carr instead of Manziel.

Like Ditch said, we don't talk about 2014 or Ray Farmer in general in my house.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:

Donald as well.

Adopt a Ram:Tavon Austin
Tugboat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l3lind golfer wrote:
I still remember the 2014 draft. I think I had Justin Gilbert as my 4th ranked CB. I remember Kyle Fuller was #1 then I had Darqueze Dennard #2. I think I had Jason Varrett at #3 and then Gilbert. I had Bradley Roby near Gilbert as well.

I never was impressed by Gilbert when he played at OK State, never thought he was that good of a player when I watched him play. But I thought he would at least be solid as a pro.

Yeah. I was never really into Gilbert as a prospect that year, but even i didn't think he'd flame out this badly. Takes a special brand of not caring to wash out so hard, so fast. Usually that 1st round pedigree alone at least earns guys some extra leeway and extra looks.
KManX89

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
OleXmad wrote:

Same.

I really liked his college tape, but I never knew about his lack of passion for football, which is as wasteful of talent as drug busts TBH.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:

???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Tony7188 wrote:

???

I mean, I was a huge Anthony Barr fan coming out, but he wasnt a slam dunk prospect, either.

And Haden was all they had at CB. I respect if you didnt like Gilbert, but there is plenty of logic behind taking a CB you like high to pair with another really good corner. Can never have too many quality corners in the NFL....and they had ONE.

The Browns were destined to screw it up, though.

Looking back at my mock, I had the Browns taking Sammy Watkins and Derek Carr...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547673

...so I think the solution is clear. 43M for Browns GM!!!!

Laughing Cool

Would you even take the job? Wink

[2015 Adopt-A-Patriot]:#17 - Aaron Dobson
Rec:13 Yards:141 TDs:0

Smack Ink
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected more from Gilbert than this, wonder if another team will take a chance on him.

Courtesy of an online joke search

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: