Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New project: Superstars in the making
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Starless


Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 11154
Location: Ant-Baby Machete Squad
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: New project: Superstars in the making Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm going to be compiling a list of the top 20 players in the NFL who appear poised for superstardom and I'm soliciting opinions from every fanbase to nominate a player from their team.

Please discuss the possible players to nominate here. Make a poll if you must.

I'll also need one or two of you to provide quotes explaining why you think this player is a future star in the league, and possibly some videos or gifs of highlights, if available.

A couple of rules for inclusion, however:

1. The player must be on his rookie contract.
2. The player must not have been selected to any Pro Bowls or received any other league awards.

Thanks for your help!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 11987
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Clinton-Dix will be an elite S, but he's made a Pro Bowl so he's out.

Next up, Devante Adams. After flashing with a solid rookie year he was disappointing in 2015, but in 2016, he rebounded with 75 catches, 997 yds, and 12 TDs. He could be a very good WR especially with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him.

I think Damarious Randall is going to bounce back and prove to be a solid starting CB also, but I don't know if he'll really be a "star" or just a solid guy.

Kenny Clark looks like he could develop into a force as well but you don't see much from DL year one. He flashed, but needs to show more.

That's it for guys on rookie contracts with real "star" potential.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 15687
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spilltray wrote:
I think Clinton-Dix will be an elite S, but he's made a Pro Bowl so he's out.

Next up, Devante Adams. After flashing with a solid rookie year he was disappointing in 2015, but in 2016, he rebounded with 75 catches, 997 yds, and 12 TDs. He could be a very good WR especially with Aaron Rodgers throwing to him.

I think Damarious Randall is going to bounce back and prove to be a solid starting CB also, but I don't know if he'll really be a "star" or just a solid guy.

Kenny Clark looks like he could develop into a force as well but you don't see much from DL year one. He flashed, but needs to show more.

That's it for guys on rookie contracts with real "star" potential.


Clark is also going to be playing a position that doesn't really have star players.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Packerraymond


Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 19027
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Green Bay it's HHCD and Davante Adams. I don't think either are top of the league superstars but I think Clinton-Dix could develop into a top 5 safety while Adams a top 10 WR.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1410
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of Davante Adams, I have to reach, I mean really reach, but...
Brett Hundley. And it won't be in a Green Bay uniform.
No film to back it up, just a hunch.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11217
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
In Green Bay it's HHCD and Davante Adams. I don't think either are top of the league superstars but I think Clinton-Dix could develop into a top 5 safety while Adams a top 10 WR.


I don't really ever see Adams as a top-10 WR.
_________________
Matts4313 wrote:
Those are the stats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 4456
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davante Adams is the type of player who will get his yards, catches and touchdowns in Green Bay but will never reach all-star levels because he's not complete enough to be a number one for a team without Rodgers and Rodgers spreads the ball around too much. He could easily have multiple seasons over 1,000 yards or 10 touchdowns, but he still won't be that number one receiver type player.

HaHa Clinton-Dix doesn't hit the requirements because he's made a pro bowl. Every single year the one player I fall in love with in the draft turns into a superstar. Not saying I know something, just that I'm lucky like that, and Clinton-Dix was by far the one player I wanted that draft.

Kenny Clark is going to be the quiet type of dominant nose tackle that never gets enough attention and notoriety for how important he is.

Fackrell is too damn old to and "NFL ready" to be as unproductive as he was this year and I don't see him doing anything other than being a backup in his career, which will last like three more years.

Blake Martinez has the potential to be a solid NFL starter, but with no star potential. Any player that celebrates his interception before he finishes the play doesn't strike me as a superstar talent.

Dean Lowry is the one player from this draft that strikes me as the type who could exceed expectations. I didn't begin to look into this, but I believe he's the first Packer DL rookie to have two sacks in a season since Mike Daniels. I think Dean Lowry is the most likely second year jump player from the entire draft class.

Trevor Davis has the most potential to be the exciting, eye-catching talent, but I don't think he has the mental makeup to do it. After his muffed punt this season, he ENTIRELY disappeared from the field. I think his mental wherewithal matches his stick figure and he was a major disappointment to me.

Damarious Randall flashed clutch playmaking ability in his rookie year with HUGE interceptions and plays in HUGE moments. He got hurt this year and his confidence took a hit. He's going to come back strong this year. The only question mark with him is his health. If he's healthy, he's a confident playmaker that absolutely belongs at corner in the NFL. If he's not healthy, he's meek and just bad.

Quinten Rollins I don't like at all. I thought he'd be a playmaker after the Rams game in his rookie year, but it turns out he was just a playmaker in that game because the Rams sucked (thanks for almost sparking a playmaker, Jared).

Ty Montgomery has a chance to be a playmaking option out of the backfield, but not the potential to be a feature back that can get 300 carries a season. His best chance of becoming a star is if Eddie Lacy comes back.

Jake Ryan has a great shot of becoming a solid starter, but nothing more.

Aaron Ripkowski has the best shot at becoming a superstar... fullback.

Jeff Janis has finally shown improvement, as little as it was. He's the most physically gifted player on our team, and if it can all come together for him, he could do extremely well. It's year four for him, the same year Jordy broke out in the NFL.

I would say the biggest breakout candidates, ranked by likelihood, for next year are:

Damarious Randall
Ty Montgomery
Dean Lowry
Jeff Janis
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11217
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
Davante Adams is the type of player who will get his yards, catches and touchdowns in Green Bay but will never reach all-star levels because he's not complete enough to be a number one for a team without Rodgers and Rodgers spreads the ball around too much. He could easily have multiple seasons over 1,000 yards or 10 touchdowns, but he still won't be that number one receiver type player.

HaHa Clinton-Dix doesn't hit the requirements because he's made a pro bowl. Every single year the one player I fall in love with in the draft turns into a superstar. Not saying I know something, just that I'm lucky like that, and Clinton-Dix was by far the one player I wanted that draft.

Kenny Clark is going to be the quiet type of dominant nose tackle that never gets enough attention and notoriety for how important he is.

Fackrell is too damn old to and "NFL ready" to be as unproductive as he was this year and I don't see him doing anything other than being a backup in his career, which will last like three more years.

Blake Martinez has the potential to be a solid NFL starter, but with no star potential. Any player that celebrates his interception before he finishes the play doesn't strike me as a superstar talent.

Dean Lowry is the one player from this draft that strikes me as the type who could exceed expectations. I didn't begin to look into this, but I believe he's the first Packer DL rookie to have two sacks in a season since Mike Daniels. I think Dean Lowry is the most likely second year jump player from the entire draft class.

Trevor Davis has the most potential to be the exciting, eye-catching talent, but I don't think he has the mental makeup to do it. After his muffed punt this season, he ENTIRELY disappeared from the field. I think his mental wherewithal matches his stick figure and he was a major disappointment to me.

Damarious Randall flashed clutch playmaking ability in his rookie year with HUGE interceptions and plays in HUGE moments. He got hurt this year and his confidence took a hit. He's going to come back strong this year. The only question mark with him is his health. If he's healthy, he's a confident playmaker that absolutely belongs at corner in the NFL. If he's not healthy, he's meek and just bad.

Quinten Rollins I don't like at all. I thought he'd be a playmaker after the Rams game in his rookie year, but it turns out he was just a playmaker in that game because the Rams sucked (thanks for almost sparking a playmaker, Jared).

Ty Montgomery has a chance to be a playmaking option out of the backfield, but not the potential to be a feature back that can get 300 carries a season. His best chance of becoming a star is if Eddie Lacy comes back.

Jake Ryan has a great shot of becoming a solid starter, but nothing more.

Aaron Ripkowski has the best shot at becoming a superstar... fullback.

Jeff Janis has finally shown improvement, as little as it was. He's the most physically gifted player on our team, and if it can all come together for him, he could do extremely well. It's year four for him, the same year Jordy broke out in the NFL.

I would say the biggest breakout candidates, ranked by likelihood, for next year are:

Damarious Randall
Ty Montgomery
Dean Lowry
Jeff Janis


How is 24 "old"? He took a year off for a mission trip. He's effectively 23 in football years. He was never considered "NFL ready" outside of those who lazily saw his age and assumed he was a refined pass rusher. He was just a terrific athlete at a premium position. He flashed this season, and I wasn't high on him either. I'm curious as to what he can contribute these next few years on a modest contract and at a vulnerable position. I've warmed up.
_________________
Matts4313 wrote:
Those are the stats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralFC


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 11217
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, we need to put the Janis thing to rest. My goodness, he is never contributing beyond teams. He's too stiff.
_________________
Matts4313 wrote:
Those are the stats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 4456
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
How is 24 "old"? He took a year off for a mission trip. He's effectively 23 in football years. He was never considered "NFL ready" outside of those who lazily saw his age and assumed he was a refined pass rusher. He was just a terrific athlete at a premium position. He flashed this season, and I wasn't high on him either. I'm curious as to what he can contribute these next few years on a modest contract and at a vulnerable position. I've warmed up.

He's 25. He'll be 26 before next year is over. Everybody told me, "He's more NFL ready at 24!" I didn't see him do a single damn thing for the last 15 games we played.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HorizontoZenith


Joined: 03 Mar 2016
Posts: 4456
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Also, we need to put the Janis thing to rest. My goodness, he is never contributing beyond teams. He's too stiff.


Jordy Nelson had a max of 45 catches, 582 yards and 2 touchdowns in each of his first three seasons. Fourth year he had 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns. To write any physically gifted receiving talent off when they're playing with Aaron Rodgers is a mistake. Not only does Rodgers make it possible they have an incredible season, but a lot of times it's because of Rodgers that they don't. Jeff Janis is not dead. Yet.

Donald Driver didn't have more than 21 catches, 322 yards or one touchdown in his first three seasons.

Considering the two best Packer receivers in the modern era didn't do squat until their fourth year in the league, it's unwise to make such bold proclamations about the most physically gifted receiver the Packers have had.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spilltray


Joined: 09 Jan 2006
Posts: 11987
Location: Green Bay, WI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HorizontoZenith wrote:
CentralFC wrote:
Also, we need to put the Janis thing to rest. My goodness, he is never contributing beyond teams. He's too stiff.


Jordy Nelson had a max of 45 catches, 582 yards and 2 touchdowns in each of his first three seasons. Fourth year he had 1200 yards and 15 touchdowns. To write any physically gifted receiving talent off when they're playing with Aaron Rodgers is a mistake. Not only does Rodgers make it possible they have an incredible season, but a lot of times it's because of Rodgers that they don't. Jeff Janis is not dead. Yet.

Donald Driver didn't have more than 21 catches, 322 yards or one touchdown in his first three seasons.

Considering the two best Packer receivers in the modern era didn't do squat until their fourth year in the league, it's unwise to make such bold proclamations about the most physically gifted receiver the Packers have had.


Nelson and Driver were obviously talented but buried on the depth chart behind established vets. They were waiting their turn. They gave Janis every opportunity to earn reps and he was literally the #7 WR to make the roster last year. If he wasn't a top notch gunner he'd have been cut. He just can't play offense. The only route he runs well is a fly.
_________________
Wilfred wrote:
Memory is like the Packers when they are behind by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter... It comes back.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Packerraymond


Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2005
Posts: 19027
Location: Oconomowoc, WI
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:
In Green Bay it's HHCD and Davante Adams. I don't think either are top of the league superstars but I think Clinton-Dix could develop into a top 5 safety while Adams a top 10 WR.


I don't really ever see Adams as a top-10 WR.


He doesn't have speed, but he has elite strength, elite vertical, his route running is becoming elite and his hands are above average to elite. Concentration lapses (like Jones and Finley who also had elite hands) plague him still, as well as the lack of top end speed. He plays much bigger than he is, I can easily see him in the mold of an Alshon Jeffrey/Allen Robinson type player. We're not talking Julio/AJ Green/Dez but the type of receiver that rounds out the last few spots on a top 10 list, I don't think that's over zealous for Davante.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DavidatMIZZOU


Joined: 09 Apr 2009
Posts: 15687
Location: The ZOU
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a guy like Dak Prescott can't make this list?

I still think that the only guy that we have that would qualify for all criteria is Davante Adams.
_________________
GO PACK GO!

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vegas492


Joined: 30 Oct 2012
Posts: 1410
Location: Pewaukee, Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought about it. Linsley at center is a young player who is really good. Centers just don't get much attention.
_________________
From my perspective, and I don't know if Brett would say this [publicly] -- I know he's shared with me -- we would not be nearly as appreciative of everything that the Packers are had we not seen it from the other side," ---Ryan Longwell 2016
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group