Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New project: Superstars in the making

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: New project: Superstars in the making Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm going to be compiling a list of the top 20 players in the NFL who appear poised for superstardom and I'm soliciting opinions from every fanbase to nominate a player from their team.

Please discuss the possible players to nominate here. Make a poll if you must.

I'll also need one or two of you to provide quotes explaining why you think this player is a future star in the league, and possibly some videos or gifs of highlights, if available.

A couple of rules for inclusion, however:

1. The player must be on his rookie contract.
2. The player must not have been selected to any Pro Bowls or received any other league awards.

Thanks for your help!
kyle21121

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess because he won DROY I can't say Bosa who would have been a slam dunk pick for this.

Tyrell Williams
Hunter Henry
Denzel Perryman
Jatvious Brown
Jerry Attachou
Kyle Emmanuel

I could be missing someone but these might be the only players that would count and are worthy of discussion as some good young players here have either made the pro bowl, got some sort of award or gotten a second contract. Melvin Ingram is a FA and will be getting another contract so I doubt he counts. Again, Hopefully I'm not missing an obvious name but out of these players there is a lot to like and not sure who I would pick to be a future superstar.

Hunter Henry, T-Willy, Perryman and Brown all stand out in a sense I could see them all making a pro bowl at one point in their careers or at least having pro bowl caliber seasons and being held in high regard.

I would say either Hunter Henry or Perryman have the best chance to be a superstar out of the players listed. I would have to think about it some more to come up with a singular choice.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top guys on this list for me would be the guys who are disqualified. Melvin Gordon just made the pro bowl this year (albeit as an Alternate, part of the reason this is so hard is because half the league makes it to the pro bowl), Bosa just won the Rookie of the Year, Verrett made the pro bowl last year IIRC.

Beyond that its mostly the guys that Kyle has covered above. Tyrell Williams just had a 1000 yard receiving year, as a 2nd year UDFA out of Southern Oregon, but he's an absolute athletic freak.

Hunter Henry is probably the obvious choice, he's going to be really good, and showed it with 8 TD catches while splitting time at TE with Gates. But he's already one of the better 2 way (blocking/receiving) TE's in the league, and should only get better as he works his way into a bigger role.

The other guy is Jatavis Brown, who was a standout player before he got hurt, and honestly could've competed with Bosa if he kept up the production he had for 16 games, which included 43 tackles and 3 sacks over the next 5 games he played healthy (IIRC, he didn't play much vs Atl). He's on pace, especially in Gus Bradley's defense to be a MONSTER. Perryman is good, but if you're looking at young future stars, Brown is probably your guy.

Attaochu is a guy with all the talent you want, but he's constantly injured. If healthy, he's got the similar skillset and potential to a guy like Chris Clemons, who had 3 consecutive 11 sack years in Seattle under Bradley. I could see him stepping up this year if he can stay healthy for a long stretch of the season.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry seems to be getting the most support here, if I'm reading the room correctly. Should I make a poll with Henry, T. Williams and Perryman?
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
Henry seems to be getting the most support here, if I'm reading the room correctly. Should I make a poll with Henry, T. Williams and Perryman?

I'd replace Perryman with Brown but that's just me.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
Starless wrote:

I'm good with that I love Perryman but Brown has crazy upside and if he was healthy may have been in the DROY discussion right along with Bosa.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
Starless wrote:

I'm good with that I love Perryman but Brown has crazy upside and if he was healthy may have been in the DROY discussion right along with Bosa.

Yeah, thats the thing, is that this question is about who's going to become a star, not who's going to be a solid player for his entire career. While I think Perryman has the chance to be a very good starter for 10 years, I think Jatavis Brown has the chance to become one of the better LB's in the league with some time.

MrDrew wrote:
Starless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Henry as a blocker? I couldn't find any highlights of him doing that.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
How is Henry as a blocker? I couldn't find any highlights of him doing that.

To give you a good gauge...Kyle Posey, who's a great film breakdown guy for BFTB (Botls fromt he blue, B/R's Chargers site, does the analysis for NFL1000's CB section), at one point said "he's the best blocker on the team, and that includes OL".

PFF is useless, especially for blocking stuff, but at one point he was rated as the best blocking TE in the league.

So all in all, REALLY GOOD. He has the potential to be a Jason Witten type player, especially if he keeps working with Gates on his receiving.

MrDrew wrote:
Starless

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=585830&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Henry is #6 for those who haven't been keeping up.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for doing this, pretty good write up an a good read.

I'd argue that the "less than perfect throw" gif, was actually a pretty dang perfect throw. Anywhere else and he either is too far to catch it, or gets blown up by the DB coming in from the left of the screen. I'm just nit-picking though Wink

HH had some rough moments early on, especially with ball control, but as the year progressed so did he. I'm happy to see that we should have a solid TE option after Gates hangs it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: